Keep stopping to walk

2»

Comments

• walkman
    speedwork isnt sprinting
    just intervals of a bit faster speed for 2 mins at a time
    with walk breaks to recover
    repeat 6 times
  • Well that's more or less the pattern I run to anyway - I run as much as I feel comfortable with, then walk about 1min then run again. But I'm not sure I could do any at a faster pace, I reckon I would be pushing too hard.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I'm very new to running - started June 2003 so I'm still learning. I always walk for a bit during a run.

In the Nike 10k round Richmond Park last Sep, I walked for a minute at each waterstation (2mins in total). I completed the race in 47mins.

I have a local route (relatively hilly) which is 2.6km per lap. Every 2 laps (5.2 km) I walk for a minute which involves some stretching too. Yesterday I did 21km (13 miles), walking 1min in between each 5.2km section ie total of 3 min. I finished in 1 hr 47 mins.

The walk (& stretching) really aids me to recover so that I can continue.

NRG-B

PS: Did my post make sense?
  • Sounds pretty good to me. 10k - that's roughly 6 miles isn't it? Well it takes me an hour to do 5 miles, longer if I run it all the way, so walking parts does help somehow but I can't quite get my head round the logic of it.
  • i think you two are talking about planned walk breaks to finish the run
    Interval training is different
    The point is to push yourself a bit, maybe only for a minute at a time
    then walk to get your breath back
    repeat up to 6 times
  • Well we're obviously both beginners, Hippo, and at least one of us hasn't a clue. I thought it was all about getting out there doing the miles and the times (and the weight) would go down. Obviously it's not so simple as that, what with intervals, fartlek, and hill reps, Wow!! You've got to learn the language before you know what anybody's talking about. A bit like going to France:-)

Well anyway, in plain non-jargon, I took your advice and went and did my 5 miles. I start with a gentle plod (that I DO understand, in fact in my ignorance I invented the term for myself then I was introduced to this website and found someone had invented the wheel already!) Sorry, I'm digressing, how long have you got? After the plod I walk some till I feel better then I plod some more. Normally I do that till I finish and recently the times have been getting worse. Today after about three repeats I tried raising the game a bit and ran (jogged?) a bit faster until I really was out of breath, I guess it was about a minute. Then I went back to walking some more. Now this walking, I'm not sure what people mean by that but what I mean is a power/speed walk that I can just keep on going and going and going with. You know, a bit faster than the "I'm going to miss my train if I don't step it out a bit" stuff. It's about as fast as I can manage but I can do it for ages. I repeated this faster run thing, and walking, not timed exactly but counting seconds roughly, four or five times, I forget how many, then went back to my ordinary plod which I still suspect is slower than my walk.

Anyway the upshot of it all was that I did my 5 better than I have for weeks, not a PB, but encouraging. You'll be amazed when I tell you I cracked an hour for the 5, there! I know it's not the "didn't he do well" kind of amazement but the "crumbs, is that all" kind but at least I improved and with your help. So thanks.

I guess I could bore your socks off with all this so I'll shut up now.

God bless!
  • Looks as though I've scared you all off.

I'm doing a 5k on Friday, my first event ever. It actually sounds more like a fun run. I hope I manage to have fun and finish on my feet!
  • sorry walkman Not boring at all

For the intervals, run fast, then walk slowly to recover properly

5 min gentle plod
    6 reps of 1 min ruun, 2-3 minutes slow walk
    then 5 min gentle plod

you can biuld up from there
    Good luck with the 5k
  • another run could be to plod very slowly and try NOT to take walk breaks

The need to take walk breaks can be pyschological, ive only just talked myself out of it, and recently ran a whole 110 minutes without stoppin(11 miles, so im not fast)
  • Thanks Hippo

Well you're faster than me - 10 miles takes me 2hrs+ and that's mostly walking.

I have done my 5 miles all plod and end up slower than RW so I'm not sure it's beneficial, apart from just getting the miles in.
  • building up endurance plods IS beneficial
    you will gradually get faster, honest
  • So you don't agree with the penguin when he says that most people would benefit from walking some?

It seems there are so many points of view on all this and I'm con-fyooooozed!!!
  • not any more no
    it doesnt work for me, i just get slower and slower
    paradoxically, it might work for runners who are actually fitter and faster than me
  • I find that I'm faster if I run walk than if I do the same distance just running. On that evidence I'm still inclined to think I'm walking quicker than I plod, but then I'm doing power walking between plods because I didn't know different until you told me to run a bit faster and walk real slow to recover.

Perhaps I'll run all the way round that 5k tomorrow and see what time I do. I expect about 34min.
  • I used to be as well
    when iwas a 12-13 min miler
    but now i walk less, im comfy at 11 min miles
  • Walkman
    Well done on running the whole of your 5 k!
  • I've been a runner for as long as I can remember - many decades anyway - and if I have to stop during a run, it is because I have been going too fast. The run then becomes a fartlek session. The trick is to be positive and not to regard walking as a cop out.

Running with a group is ok if you can run at your own pace and the fast ones stop periodically for the rest to catch up.
  • See this is my problem i went out today first time since the 10k on Sunday and i practically walked all of it *sigh*

• It must be something in the air then because I went out for a short run today (just 3 miles) and I stopped and walked for a minute on 2 occasions. No idea why, but I just felt shattered and told myself to walk.

To be fair though I am just returning from injury so I probably had that in the back of my mind.

Tomorrow I will plod and just make myself keep going.
  • Use the 6 minute rule, go out running as planned and if after 6 minutes you feel like crap stop. your body simply does not want to be out there, always listen to your body do not question it (be clear about the difference between lazyness and body not being ready for it), you may be simply forcing a schedule on your system that its not happy with - all in good time my friend.

On a lighter note I grew up in the days of ovett and co, and when i get tired there i am in my head as a guest runner at the olympics on the last lap of the 1500, ''and its wilson kicking on the back straight has he got enough'' in my head the comentators are screaming at me ha ha ha you can dream eh, but my god it gets the hairs on the back of me neck standing on end.

and it shows that minds can always overcome legs.

Hope that helps

Gary

• 6 mins?  That's about half a mile for me and way too soon to know whether I'm ill or simply unmotivated.  I reckon the first 15-20mins is going to be varying degrees of crap, so try to ignore all 'give up' signals (except pain) before then. 

j