An observation about cyclists...

Comments

• Options
    MedalsMedals ✭✭✭
    Motorbike helmets make you look cool though.  Unless you use the bus.image
  • Options
    Not too good in the bank tho....
  • Options

In 2005 148 cyclists were killed on the roads in the UK.   In 2006 28 people died walking or climbing in the Lake District.   Now when you compare how many people are cycling compared to walking in the Lakes it does put the relative danger into perspective.    

As Swerve implies it has been shown elsewhere (Australia) that compulsory helmet use does put people off cycling - which would lead to a less healthy population and more traffic.

There is no evidence that cycle helmets make any contribution to reducing injuries on a population level (of those people having accidents on a bike) .  

So on what basis other than some people see bikes and think "ooh that looks dangerous" should people be made to wear a  helmet on a bike ?    

• Options

I think vanity is a factor for some...  One lady this morning was cycling in an office suit with a pencil skirt (how I don't know!), high heeled shoes and perfectly coiffeured hair and make up.  She looked as if a helmet would definetely be cramping her style...

• Options

This is the kind of thing we'll end up with  http://www.thudguard.com/

• Options

I used to go to a orady club ... got into an argument with an old guy

"been cycling 50 years never worn a helemt .. never will"

2 weeks ;later he went over the handle bars (tryning to tighten a loose scure) leaving a pudle of blood on the road where he had cracked his scull and being carted off in an ambulance ....

... yes he would of still had som injuries ..... but not the cracked scull

Stupid old fart ... but he now where a lid .... most of the time

• Options
    OK, Popsider, if your source is reliable, apology acceptance accepted. image

Right - has anyone come anywhere near changing their mind on the issue?

No?

Anyone?
  • Options

Scaremongering doesn't replace the fact that the aussies were put off cycling through vanity.

If you roll the camera forward and add another few hundred thousand, inexperienced, non-club level cyclists to the roads. This is what the country needs to do in general health terms never mind CO2 wise.

Do you really believe the stats will show that helmets don't promote safety?

I don't

At the moment you still have a hardcore of cycling public that represents less than a % of the populace.

More people have accidents fishing. So more people fish.

• Options

The hassel factor, I cycle to work, only 1/2mile but messing sround wth a helmet would double the journey time. I often cycle into town, 8 miles. What do I do with my helmet when I get there?

I know that 6 weeks in a hospital bed is more hassel than taking a minute to put on, take off and store a helmet, ut there you go.

It would be interesting to see the stats from an A&E to see the % of drink related head injuries compared to those caused by cycling. Then lets pass a law, anyone drinking alcohol must wear a helmet.

• Options

Anybody see the red arrows?

Want to guess what the chance of them not wearing a lid is?

Want to hazard home much protection it would give if they smacked into the floor from 10k up on full reheat?

They don't come fitted you know.

• Options
    I never wear an helmet but I insist the enemy does, but thats just so I can laugh at her helmet hair.
  • Options

"wth a helmet would double the journey time"

Sorry but BALLS ... pick it up, put it on, clip at fasten ... what 30secs

"What do I do with my helmet when I get there"

Chain it to you bike

• Options

I lock my helmet to my bike every day when I leave it at the station.  The lock only goes through the straps so in theory someone could undo them and steal the helmet.  But a few weeks ago my bike was nicked and the only thing they left behind..................... yes, my helmet!

As for people being put off because they think they look stupid....... so many people wear them now that no-one gives you a second glance.

• Options
    again sorry for the BALLS
  • Options
    It makes no odds for me. I look stupid without the lid as well image
  • Options

Stump.

I get into my car - the seatbelts there.  I get onto a bike - I've had to go to the shops to buy a helmet that fits. Its extra effort. Humans dont like extra effort which is probably why only a small percentage of people cycle as its easier to drive.

Theres a clear difference. The helmet is not part of the bike. Have you yourself bumped your head lately and suffered ??

• Options
    When comuting or MTBing i always where a small backpack that has a hlemt net to sick my lid in when wondering round shops or sitting in a cafe etc
  • Options
    Will it only takes 2 mins. I get up out of my chair, my bike is left unlocked outside my house (and has been along with my partners for 7 years) I get on, 2 mins later I'm at work. A helmet would double my journey time.
  • Options

I have bumped my head. I have skinned my knees and butt. I have the embarrasment of grounding a pedal going round a roundabout and coming off in front of a big Unilever truck.

I am a crap cyclist. But my head is OK

When I went to the bike shop - the source of all my problems.

I bought a  bike

I needed pedals - the bike wouldn't go without them. Extra effort see. Not fitted

I needed gloves, a bit of a pain as I have to remember to put them on. All extra.

Worst of all was a lycra fetish that came over me. Never had that before.

• Options

one thing i do note is that roadies are often mor resistant to wearing a lid then MTBers.

The local MTB club has a rule (no lid no ride) on the organised rides

• Options

and a strange affinity for yellow products

• Options

You are more likely to crash off road - in my experience anyway, so I can see that a lid is more useful. You're also more likely to get twatted by branches too.

Remember the good old days playing out when we'd just borrow whatever bike was lying round for a blip round the block ?  If kids need to wear helmets then thats gonna stop all that spontaneous fun.

Helmets - prob a good idea, but lets not overstate their abilities.

• Options

So it was YOU, Cougie -you b*stid, I left my raleigh 6 for ten minutes and some scroat stole it!

The 1970's was rough, it wasn't all choppers and grifters you know....

• Options
    I think more roadies wear helmets than normal commuter type cyclists - but definitely more triathletes wear them than roadies.   I think it's partly because triathlon is a newer sport so more newer cyclists whereas road cyclists are more likely to have started in the days when nobody really wore a helmet.    Triathletes do like bigging things up a bit too - whereas road cyclists tend to play things down a bit more - so wearing a helmet makes cycling look like an extreme sport that you need to wear protective clothing for - it fits in with the triathlete ethos.    MTBers - no idea about them - why anyone would want to ride through mud when there is a perfectly good road I don't know. 
  • Options

Triathletes like bigging things up......

You only have to look on Tri Talk to see what he means image

• Options

Sorry about that Stump, but you cant leave a bike lying around like that !

Lots of sports are getting ridiculous with buying kit. If you read the magazines its clear that you cannot function without carbon fibre bars, carbon cranks, and a pair of shorts costing less than £100.  Helmets are another piece of vital kit that we need to buy. And spend £150 on.

I'd say its always a good idea to wear mitts when cycling though - if you come off - rare that you'll bump your head, but you'll take the skin off your palms and then you're knackered for riding.  Even David Millar made this mistake - he missed out on a tour the other week cos he'd crashed with no mitts.  Beginner mistake.

• Options
    pops - ALL triathlons are helmet compulsory so it seems normal to train in one of you have to compete in one