Four Villages Half Marathon

1235»

Comments

• Yeah right and mines the Eiffel Tower.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭

lol!

I haven't had any chocolate for aaaaaaaages, honest, or booze either.

Shame I'm still rubbish at running

• Will 32 muffins be enough? It should be unless the Fetchies get their hands on them.
  • Well, I'm racing now, have a number so, see you all there, although I don't think I'll be wearing my trademark Orange Vest... it'll be white cap, blur and rest vest and blue Nike Vaporfly's me Puglet. Byyyeee

Pug  

• XBXB ✭✭✭

Just pinned the number (583) on the shirt and tied the chip to my boots. I'm looking forward to it. I'll look out for your muffins, FF.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    better pack yer waterwings fer 2mrw - hasn't stopped raining for hours image
  • Good luck to everyone running my old clubs half marathon. 
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Have a good race everyone. 

Enjoy the muffins afterwards.

• Blimey, I've got up and I'm seriously nervouis about this now... what's wrong with me image Good luck people image

Pug image

• That was good fun. We were warned before hand that there was a bit of paddling to do between 9 and 10 miles. But what a load of big girls blouses walking on the grass verge at the side to try and avoid it. The rain held off for most of the race, just got caught in a bit of drizzle for the last mile or so. I reckon I just nipped home in under 1:51 on the chip, so happy with that for this stage in my marathon training.

• hey great time ff ! Sorry i double booked myself - i liked the sound of muffins !
  • I'll just copy my report from the Sub3 thread..

Ooooppp, Old Pug Is BACK and it's not good image

Check these out for the most inconsistant and insane splits (bear in mind, first proper race back)... it'll give you all something to laugh at anyway.

Helsby Half Marathon:

1:27:42 (6.42 m/m)

1 Mile = 6.15@161bpm
    2 Mile = 12.32 (6.17 @170bpm)
    3 Mile = 18.43 (6.10 @168bpm)
    4 Mile = 25.04 (6.20 @169bpm) Was now dying on my arse badly
    5 Mile = 31.33 (6.29 @169bpm)
    6 Mile = 38.13 (6.39 @168bpm) Felt really weak, needed sugery drink
    7 Mile = 44.54 (6.40 @168bpm) Major Blister on Big Toe, Agony...
    8 Mile = 51.59 (7.05 @167bpm) Legs like Jelly Now
    9 Mile = 59.11 (7.12 @165bpm)
    10 Mile = 1.06.31 (7.20 @158bpm)
    11 Mile = 1.14.03 (7.31 @157bpm)
    12 Mile = 1.20.33 (6.29 @157bpm)
    13 Mile = 1.27.05 (6.32 @162bpm)
    13.1 Mile = 1.27.42 (0.36 @166bpm)

Set my Garmin to 7:00 m/m to get around 1:31... Went off like a loony, loving being in a race again... silly I know but you all know what I'm like...

Got to 5 mile and was blowing and legs starting to wobble big time... however was more worried about the sheer head wobblyness... mustn't have had enough to eat, as felt dreadful from around 5 mile to 8 mile until I got a sugery drink down me from the water station...

I've got major problems with blister as off late, as all the tough hard skin has gone with lack of running, so got a coupel of brsuiers, went around one corner and left foot, was in quite a bit of pain image Not good... but carried on as you do...

From 12 mile, the drink got in my system and started to make an effort again, and think blister had popped at this point, so no problems there image

You can see how the heart rate has dropped from 10-12 mile when I was losing the will to live... then picked back up when I got me head back together...

So, there we have it, one of Puglet most badly paced, normal runs image Hope everyone had a good day?

Pug image

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A rather more modest performance from me at Helsby but one that suggests there is still life in my legs.

Unofficially, gun time was 1:43:47 and that puts me just under 8 min./mile, I think. Unlike these Garmin owners, long division was involved here image

As I ran round, I remembered every feature of the course, including the 2-mile hill and the fastest finish that I know, and I realised how much I'd enjoyed running it in the past. Superbly organised, impeccably marshalled and full of support in the remotest of parts - and hot drinks + biccies at the end.

Thanks and praise to all who organised it.
  • swittle you must have crossed the line same sort of time as me. my Garmin time was 1:43:12 but i started a fair way down the chute.
  • Swittle -  a couple of years ago, some people on here where getting a bit panicky about the reported hills on the course, so I went out in my car with the intention of making a note of were all the inclines are. I was lost within about 3 miles which is pretty pathetic when you consider that I'd run the race 6 times at this stage.

It looks so so different without a load of runners on it but whenever I do the race I always know what is around the next corner.

• OjomanOjoman ✭✭✭

Great run and some fine marshelling.  I noticed the poncy-verge-running-'round-the-water-types as well.   They had drier feet at the end (until you had to skip over the muddy boards).

Very nice run but struggled for the first nine miles or so and then found my pace(!).

Again, the support was great.  Thanks to all involved. 

• today was my 5th run at Helby,went quite well really considering i`m only 3 weeks into training for London

its difficult to get into a good rythmn on this course what with all the ups and downs and corners but its a must do race every year.

it was nice to see some familiar faces from the forums again but was sorry i didnt get to see the charismatic Puglett even if it was only to gloat that i`d whooped his arse again this year.

finished in 1;24;35 thats 2mins down on last year but with a lot less training so i`m happy and now i`m off out on the lash.

• Pugheaven

had the same problem at the 4 to 6 miles i was doing fine until then. I was clawing back 15 seconds per mile then i hit the 5 mile and started losing 10 seconds, then 20 seconds. Then managed to claw back towards the end with a strong sprint to the finish with a Wesham runner. finished in 1.33.12 five minutes slower than PB, but still time to get ready for FLM

But I now have 2 rather nasty blisters on the inside of my legs. should have run in my old trusted nike shorts rather the latest batch they are selling. they seem to be a different material all of a sudden.

Great race thou and well organised.  

• Thought the race was great, excellent marshalling and support etc. Just one gripe. We tried to support the club by following their instructions to park at m56 services to avoid congestion at club house and centre even tho there is generally room and was today. All went well getting there but getting back was ridiculous. No clear area for bus pickup. Driver of coach admitted he was on his own as other driver was nowhere to be seen and not answering phone. Waited at one bus stop only for coach to stop on other side of road and people make a run for it to other side - got quite tetchy at one point and not very sportmans/ladies like!!! Understandably people were tired after running a half and having waited 20 mins in a queue it was abit much to be told we were on wrong side of road and see some rude people charging to other side and push in. Think biggest gripe was that noone seemed to be organising the coach side of things yet they wanted us to use it. Next year will park at club methinks. Anyway rant over .... the race itself and organisation of that was superb as ever!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Well run, JPenno. Just waiting for resuts to go up on the 'net

fat face, purely exaggeration, on my part, of course
  • anyone know when the results will be online
  • First race of the year and P.B. 1.47.26. This was my first Helsby and I wasn`t disappointed, really challenging in parts, scenic route, well marshalled and lots of encouragement along the way.Got to see some people I`d met at races from last year which was good.                                                        Overall a good day out, Helsby is a must do next year.Forgot to mention the really nice medalimage.
  • It's usually 2 or 3 days for the results JP.
  • Great little run that.

Knocked 4 mins off my PB (Cardiff Half Maraton - a flatter course).

Blackpool next I think...

• Back home after another enjoyable event.

Pre-race  preparation was exceptionally cautious consisting of  pasta (home made and excellent), wine and whisky (only slightly overproof single malts) the night before, an early drive to Helsby followed by three doughnuts, two coffees and a couple of painkillers.

The race itself went off without a hitch, after the first coiuple of miles I was unable to keep up with my pacer, but took it steady, and managed to get round without resorting to MacDonalds, Helsby Arms, or Wheatsheaf Inn.

Got back in to Helsby where I finished the event by using the old standby of a bacon bap, pint of guiness, and two chocolate muffins.  Managed to dispose of the last doughnut in the car on the way back, before having an excellent evening meal accompanied by a draught peroni and washed down by a surfeit of malt whisky.

If it is like this every year I will be back again ....   might do a bit of training for the next one though.

• beat last years time by 7mins but no pb this time still enjoyed it though
  • thanks for posting the results, just dropping in , a very enjoyable race

personal worst 1hr 59-06- but hey not a great deal of training - so something to beat next time ?

excellent value bacon bap & coffee well done rotary