MP3 player or not on race day?

Comments

• I use my iPod on every training run and really miss it if I don't especially the long sunday runs.  I've never used one in races however I'm seriously thinking of taking it to New York in 2 weeks.  The iPod shuffle is small enough to pack into my running belt so I can pull it out if I feel the need for some uplifting tunes, if the crowds are as good as FLM, and I hear they are, then I probably won't bother.  Sometimes I find that when I have music on I'm less aware of the sound of my breathing/trainings hitting the ground and I find that beneficial some howimage
  • I just genuinely don't understand the need in a race.
    I've raced up to 2h40 in duration (I haven't run marathons, so I'm not a snobby speed merchant, before anyone jumps to conclusions) and never has it crossed my mind 'you know what, a nice tune, that's what I'm missing now'.

I can understand if you drag yourself out of the door on a cold, rainy sunday morning and run 15-20 miles along the towpath in a block of hard training and it becomes a bit of a chore, that you then put your mp3 player on for a training run, although I haven't done that yet myself.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone's mentioned the 'internal jukebox' that plays in your head when you're running along (obviously without an iPod). This has kept me going on many a long run, although if you get an annoying song in your head that happens to fit your running cadence it can be a bugger to shift. During my training for FLM this year I was getting sick to death of Snow Patrol...

Happens in races as well. My last 10k was one very long chorus loop of Too Shy by Kajagoogoo. Aaarrrghh!!!
  • LMAO! How cooool! image

Hush hush, eye to eye....

• .........must admit, though, when i once discovered that i'd accidentally included "Born to Run" on my playlist i could've been converted to a 'no tunes' runner there and then! image
  • Before I got my iPod I had an awful habit of chanting to myself the last car registration number that I'd seen to see how long I could remember the number for. I'd only do this on long runs over say 16 miles.  With the iPod I don't do that anymore which is good because if was very annoying.  If I remembered the reg number for a fair amount of time i'd get bored and start messing around with the numbers in my head by adding/multiplying them in different ways.  No wonder my head was always sore at the end of the run!
  • It's no different to driving a car and listening to the radio - you are not distracted by the music in your car so why would you be distracted by your music on a run.

If I run without music, which is only when the battery has run out or there's a problem with my headphones, I feel like I can't get into a pace, my mind wanders and I'd say I'm more likely to be distracted by my thoughts than by music. Like I said before, the hearing of cars etc are not affected by my music as I only have my right head phone in and the music is not blaring.

It is just wrong to say events should ban all mp3s/ipods, you sign an agreement when you enter a race saying any accident that happens during the event are your own fault and not the fault of the organiser(s), so they should be covered for any incident and as for people getting knocked over by cars, I have witnessed speeding runners dash across a busy road during a race when everyone is on one side of the road and he/she wants to be on the other side before anyone else.

• Never thought that mp3 players would get people so excited. Some like them, some don't. Now get back to running!
  • One of our local races was dropped because the company which insured it (not a race which could be insured through the usual club routes / affiliations) put the premiums up so much due to claims being put in for a completely different sport which also had insurance and disclaimers etc etc......

We may all sign a disclaimer when we race but there is always a way round the law and if people get hurt they get desperate.....

• Hi guys / gals,

I live in Aberdeen and our local city race (Bakerhughes 10k) has banned the use of mp3's and i-pods for safety reasons. The race details explain this ...but they do not follow it through, the amount of people on race day plugged in was incredible.

But nobody who was wearing one, was spoken to about it...... saying that whats more dangerous is the ignorant runner mentioned earlier in the thread who cuts in between gaps that are not there,pulling in front and forcing you to check your stride.... why do they do that?.

One of my work colleagues has been unfortunate enough to come a cropper twice with  daft runners just stopping in front of him suddenly and crouching down to tie their laces!!! he went straight over the top of them.... the first time he actually injured his ankle and although finished the race,his time was ruined.The second time he was so angry he had a errr altercationimage with the guy in question.... safe to say i think the guy will not do it again!

If you are going to stop then move to the side first! 

SAD.P

• Sorry i started ranting away there!!! & wandered off the thread all together.image

anyway i wear my i-pod whilst training but as of yet, i haven't worn one in any of the races ive done..... i could of in the two marathons ive done just to make it more interesting in the hard bits!

anyway

nit nite

sad.p

• Surely the point is that we run.  After all, those of us who turn up on Sunday morning for the GSR (including me!) will be achieving far more in those 2 hours or less (hopefully!) than those people still lying in bed.  So we should support each other for what we do - not how we do it!  Yes, people can be awkward, unaware and inconsiderate but this happens in all walks of life.  So I say with or without iPod, plodders or speeders, well done for turning up and running!  Do whatever works for you.

(I do wear an iPod by the way, it helps me to keep going, to go faster, or slow down and to just enjoy the experience more!)

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Always a hot topic.

I'm similar to Imski, I try to use my ipod on long training runs where motivation is less than during racing. However I'm close to where that lady was killed last month in Basingstoke, and although the road had pavements I suspect she was hit by a car that ignored the red crossing lights. Perhaps the motorist was distracted by his car stereo.

I run a lot on pavementless country lanes and despite what the pro-music lobby say even with only one earpiece in, then perceptions and location of sound is greatly diminished with half an ipod plugged in. How do I know? First time this debate raged I ran with (a) no ipod, (b) half and half, (c) both ears in. Even with just one plugged in, sensitivity to hearing is greatly diminished (as in you may hear a distant car but can't accurately guage where it is). I suggest others try it. Don't get me wrong I love running to music and offroad runs are nearly always done wired up. However the idea that music is soooo important you can't be without it begs the question of how you cope in other walks of life?

• Dustin - music is and always has been a big part of my life and is very important to me. I am very capable in other walks of life but I have my music on at every opportunity.
  • Dustin, I'll just step off the fence and say what I really think: how uncomfortable with your own thoughts do you have to be to be unable to support your own company for a bit without music distracting you? (runs for cover)
  • I train with an ipod but would never race with one. Even when I am looking to run fast in a training run I would leave my ipod at home. I dont think you can concentrate properly for a best effort with music blasting in your ears and messing on with the wires every now and then. Nice easy training runs thats all I would use it for.

I think in a race it would hinder rather than help me.

• could people use them in the Olympics or World Champs or other Big  Marathon -?

could have a step by step race plan motivational coach podcast to run to - will it ever happen?

• I feel very strongly about this issue as I love music and love running, so please bear with me.

As a music enthusiast I LOVE running to music. Since I took running up again in January this year I've often trained with my MP3. It helps me get in the zone, takes my mind off pain, lets me listen to music my girlfriend doesn't share my passion for and is a true motivator. A good Drum & Bass classic for a fast pace, some Kraftwerk or other electronica for some aerobic motivation, something slower for the LSR... don't get me started.

Since January I have completed in only 8 organised events ranging from small scale  (120 competitors) to massive (28,000 competitors) and distances have ranged from 5k to half marathon. I never used my MP3 during these events, i relied on my own internal mp3 (mentioned by someone else above)- which automatically changes the BPM to my pace, remixes to my taste and lets me hear instructions. I chose not to take my trusted MP3 with me as I thought it was inconsiderate to other runners. This decision was informed by a similar thread to this one. 

In big scale runs like The Great Manchester Run, City of Manchester 10k and The Cardiff Half Marathon I have found Iplodders (faster and slower than me) to be a right pain in the arse. Sorry many of you are, not intentionally of course. You leap into other peoples courses, you change direction without being aware that someone is near you, you are a pain in the ares. 

Let's make no crass comparisons with deaf runners - they often wear hearing aids and run with a buddie (also mentioned above). In some events I have seen deaf runners with "Deaf Runner" pinned to their vest. Should runners with headphones be marked also? I'm sure that folk who have tripped over an earphoned runner could think of something to pin to their vests!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to race with my MP3, but common sense dictates that it is a risk to yourself and others. Simple, plain and hard to swallow fact.

Plain and hard to swallow a simple fact – it increases risk to you and others.

I'm beginning to debate weather I should even train with my MP3 these days. What it contributes to me getting run over? Yeah, sure, it's my risk, but what about the poor sod who has to live with knocking me over.  

Please DON'T race with MP3s, Ipods etc... I know most of you are not intentional causes of danger and race spoilers (like the arrogant  wannabies who shove folk out the way in a race) but you are an unintentional and potentially dangerous pain in the arse.

Is there asolution that enables you to race to your music? It would be extremely annoying to me if you played music through the loud speaker of your phone - just like a chav on a bus. But it would be much safer. Go on, annoy me, just don't be dangerous. 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Imski - reading back I don't think my post was entirely clear, not helped by me misreading your last line.... I only use my Ipod if I'm entirely offroad which is probably 10% of my runs, for the simple fact that if I'm on the roads (without a pavement) then I put my own safety first as I alluded to earlier. The thought of racing with one is entirely alien to me.

As regards training with one, and your question of how comfortable you have to be with your own thoughts, well as you mentioned in a block of training, sometimes that 6 mile steady recovery can be a chore, I opt (if offorad) to combine that with listening to a new CD (or sometimes an Open Uni CD/Podcast) which I may not have the opportunity to do at home. Don't get me wrong, by far the bulk of my runs are not wired up, indeed my favourite run (saturday early, mix of off road and trail) is best without music: you can appreciate the changing sounds andsights of the seasons without distraction.

• Dustin, I'm at a loss to explain why I directed that post at you, apart from the fact that you referred to my postimage

Like I said initially, if you're grinding out some hard training, some training runs will inevitably be a bit of a chore, and if it's safe to do so I can understand people wiring up.

• Quote: "It is just wrong to say events should ban all mp3s/ipods, you sign an agreement when you enter a race saying any accident that happens during the event are your own fault and not the fault of the organiser(s), so they should be covered for any incident and as for people getting knocked over by cars, I have witnessed speeding runners dash across a busy road during a race when everyone is on one side of the road and he/she wants to be on the other side before anyone else."

What happens if you cause another runner to have an accident. Say they end up under a bus? Are you insured for £10million personal liability? Most probably not for in a race. The event organiser has to take on the responsibility for everybody's safety, and even with a disclaimer, the organiser cannot dodge this.

It's already a non-issues in triathlon - No headphones in any race at any point during it. Running will follow.

• This from the rules of a big American marathon:
    "No electronic head gear! No Walkmans, portable CD carriers, iPods, or headsets of any kind. This follows the recommendations of USA Track & Field and the Road Runner's Club of America in requesting that you do not use this equipment during the event. Although disobeying this rule will not result in disqualification, you will compromise your safety and that of other runners by wearing this gear. Don't do it!"

Where America goes we will follow. It only takes a couple of claims and the insurance companies will massively hike premium or insist on a 'no headphones' rule if you want cover.

From a personal point of view I've never used one, partly because my player is one of the hard-disc ones which don't really take motion very well, but mostly because when I run I like to get away from it and be with my own thoughts. My experience of them in races is that there are some people who become oblivious to what's going on around them, and if they're one of those people who lines up too near the front for the pace they're going to run then it only makes matters worse as they go backwards through the field. I nearly got wiped out in a race a couple of weeks ago because a slower runner who must have lined up right at the front nearly ran me into a bollard because she had no idea I was there. Yes, it does happen with non-wired-up runners as well of course, but in my experience the proportion is lower.

I do have a question though for those of you who use them - how do you find the pace of the music affects your running? Do you find you subconsciously speed up when a fast track comes on or slow down during a ballad? Do you have to have different play lists for different paces? I think this is actually one of the things that put me off using music – the thought that I might upset my pacing simply because it doesn’t match the music I’m listening to.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    BotF - in my experience, the tempo I run at is usually determined by the tempo of the beat. If a favourite comes on, I tend to up the pace. That is why I don't use the ipod for races or specific sessions, usually just recovery or slow runs, when pace is secondary.
  • If you look on Podrunner you can download mixes for specific footfalls per minute image
  • I am trying to be less dependent on mine but it is hard!  Sadly I don't have Lance Armstrong's lungs and breathe very heavily through my mouth when exerting, and if I can hear myself, I think I have to stop before I collapse!  Similarly, if I can hear my feet hitting the floor I start worrying about joints and plantar (mines a bit dodgy), and then start holding back and disrupting my stride.  I think this is the thing about thoughts - if the music isn't there to distract me, I lose focus and let the negative thoughts in.  With the music, I'm ashamed to say, largely trashy euphoric trance, I feel lighter and more graceful, run more evenly and it gets me up the hills.  Last week I recced a 4-mile fell race route, off-road with an 800 feet ascent, first without music and then after a five-minute break, with.  The second run was five minutes quicker than the first even though legs were more tired.  I've stopped using the ipod on short runs and speed sessions but I have raced with it and had no problems.   I just wish I was a good enough runner not to need it!
  • Non-runner- i am totally with you on this. The few races that i have done without my ipod i have hated every minute of. I focus too much on my breathing and feel more and more out of breath. With music i can run fast for miles and enjoy it.

I am doing my first half marathon on Sunday and am now thinking maybe i should run without i-pod, but as i am running alone i know i will hate it and probably perform badly.

I too wish i didn't need it... But i do!!

• if you are running a race - its rare that you run alone - leave the music behind and get the full experience of the race ?
  • If running to music is all you love then take your ipod / mp3 to a treadmill. Don't race with the bloody thing - common sense and consideration should take priority over enjoyment in this case surely?
  • I'm with you Si and Non-runner..it's definately a mental thing..I struggle so hard..without the distraction of music all I feel is the agony of my legs and how hard it is to breathe..I feel paranoid...not good enough..then everythings blown to shot! I go from being able to run 9.3 miles with music to last time I tried without 15 mins before I had to stop and I just felt like crying. I like races to raise money for charity not for pb or to win or come 5th or 10th..im lucky if I can go the distance without stopping at least 10 times. I'm not a confident person..I was never any good at sports, but I've come a long way and I know it will never ever be easy for me, but in a way that's what I like & I'd rather feel like I was getting somewhere than feel bullied by everyone else and not have music and never get further than 15 minutes.