MP3 player or not on race day?

1235»

Comments

• I'll stick my two pennies worth in. I always wear an MP3 player when training. When there is a race I take one too - it seems daft to do something completely different on race day - I think its a good idea at least to start like a normal run. There is always the 'off' button. If you dont take it you cant really change your mind.

The only time I have raced without one was the FLM in 2006. I had only ran another marathon 3 weeks before and was tired at the start of the run. I think music may have settled me. The atmosphere was great, but in the tough bits, my favorite songs may well have lifted me.

I dont agree with having music affecting other people, I am fully aware of my surroundings and other runners, and dont need to hear everything to be a polite racer. The worst runners are those that spit just in front of you, or cut in after overtaking, walking in groups just in front (the Bristol half is terrible for this) among other anti social behaviour, and I haven't noticed these being predominatly ones listening to music.

I am running in Athens on Sunday and will be taking my shuffle. I may not use it all the time - in fact I know I won't, but it will be great to settle the nerves, and during the 8 mile hill! I am not sure why anyone else should have an issue with this.

• I agree with you stat.  I ran the Great South on Sunday and took my iPod and listened to it the majority of the way.  It helped keep my pace up, keep me motivated and keep me going.  I could hear the marshalls, the ambulances and the supporters, and made sure I always looked behind before changing direction.  Not once did I pose a risk to those around me.  In fact the greatest risks were from (in no particular order): stray water bottles just dumped in the road, runners going to a walk without checking who was behind them (none of whom wearing iPods), people having a nice chat with friends in a big group.

All round a great race (and a big thank you to all supporters who braved the rain!)

• Bit the bullet and ran ten miles off-road today witout my ipod.  Just a start...
  • good for you ! How was it ?
  • Was it fun/different NR?

Anyway, I saw this and thought of this thread. Someones done a bit research on the brain activity when listening to music and ........................................ sorry Ipod wearers it's not good.

here it is

• Mutley said

But seriously ... if you do wear earphones in a race and get barged aside by someone like me after not hearing my polite request to let me pass, you can't really complain.

I may be doing Mutley a dis-service here, but I just can't agree with this comment at all, regardless of using an MP3 player or not. I have just come back from the Athens marathon, and (my mistake) as I started near the back I spent the first few miles over taking runners, quite a few who seemed to start walking after a mile or so, or ran in a group of four all chatting (clearly not listening to music). I didn't once ask anyone to get out of my way. Why should I? If I was walking down the road and someone was in front walking slowly I wouldnt shout for them to get out of my way. Or driving a car I dont toot at someone I want to overtake. I lost precious minutes and ran a bit further than I needed too, but thats part of the fun of racing. In fact I normally hold back and pick a decent opportunity to pss keeping a decent race line.

It seems that Mutley feels a divine right as being an overtaker to be able to shout instructions to fellow runners in front, who at that time may be running a little slower. Presumably THEY need to get out of the way so Mutley keeps a decent line on the road. Maybe THEY want to keep the same line. Why does Mutley feel people need to move about to help Mutley run a good race? Thye person in front may not much room to move aside, and in doing so will have to run a few precious feet, feet that Mutley keeps. And if they dont get out of the way they get barged aside. Nice. Clearly this is more about racing etiquette than wearing an ipod but has anyone have other comments? I just hope Mutley doesn't try to clear me out of a future race in the future, and then resort barging, as I think there could be trouble........image

• Erm ... it's not a divine right, it's simple manners. You've got someone on your tail trying to get past. He or she says politely "excuse me", or words to that effect. If they're really faster, let them pass. That's what I do (and I often let others past, why not?). Simple courtesy.

If you can't hear the polite request because you have voluntarily impaired your senses, you are acting inconsiderately and must expect to be treated likewise by others.

Why does this need explaining? 

• I repeat the compromise that I offered on the other iPod thread ... if you must wear earphones, please wear the white ones. They're more visible. At least that way I can see who's not fully aware of their surroundings and can give them a wide berth ... or give a polite "excuse me" a bit louder. But then I suppose I'd get slagged off for shouting at them ... you can't win.
  • I just dont agree with making someone move out of my way. If I want to overtake I go round the person in front, thats simple courtesy to me, not ordering someone to make way for me. I am not sure why this needs explaining. Its not an mp3 issue, and we clearly aren't going to agree.
  • I guess it depends on how you are in the way.  If I'm running my own race then I wouldnt feel obliged to get out of anyones way. If I was chatting with my friend and blocking traffic then I would.  When I've had to walk in races I've always tried to keep out of the runners behind.

Its doing as you'd like to be done to really.

• I agree totally Cougie, and you have put it very succiently.

• I guess its kinda what muttley was saying too ? I dont think he was saying that slower runners should leave the road to let the fast people through - but clearly you wouldnt deliberately block them.  Unless its a F1 Grand Prix. image
  • I took it that he would ask anyone in front to move for him. My point was that overtaking can be difficult as you will end up running further, but thats better than asking the person you are overtaking to move, as all you are doing is asking them to expend that extra bit of energy rather than doing it yourself.
  • I'm sure he can explain himself, but when I'm in a race and in the unusual position of overtaking anyone - and have any breath - I'll usually just shout 'on your left' or right to let people know I'm coming past.  Not really practical for FLM though. You'd lose your voice before mile 1 !
  • No, I don't expect them to move aside (unless they're four abreast), I just let them know that I'm behind and trying to get past. I expect to do the hard work myself to overtake. Likewise, if I hear someone on my tail and realise he or she's coming through, I'll not step off the path but I won't stand in their way either.

I'm very much a mid-packer so most of my running in events is in the crowd, and much of the jockeying for position is in the first couple of miles.

• Mutlley, fair enough, we agree on the overtaking afterall, but not about MP3 players. I would race without one if they banned them btw.