Options

The Sh*te on a Bike Thread

Comments

• Options

excellent, just saw on newsnight the genetically modified mice that can run at 20m/m for five hours, the equivalent of cycling up an alpine market, i mean alpine mountain (the presenter quickly corrected herself).

so, i just need a team of mice to help me. 

• Options

Blimey D74, I never even considered doing intervals and stuff on my way to/from work. I'll have to give that a go a bit later. Yes, lots of kit required, I carry my laptop in a gergan but I suppose I should really just leave it at work. Must invest in some wet weather trousers and socks though!

Thanks for the advice.

• Options
    I'm with Holly on the cadence thing, although I do have the speed and cadence visible on mine as it gives me more info to panic about !!
  • Options

Forget the trousers.  No use to anyone.  Wear longs to keep warm, and use the wetsuit approach, keep a warm layer of rain against your legs.  Waterproof trousers will leave you boil in the bag.  Same with the top, it's windproof and warm you're after accept you'll get wet.

I've a decent altura panier bag that in normal use looks just like a soft shoulder carry laptop bag, but has hidden clips and turns into a waterproof panier.  Was pricey though, and I'm not totally convinced as I've big feet that tend to catch my ankles on paniers.  SOcks end up holding the water too, but I still wear them for no known reason... image

Oh, and top tip for drying stuff, forget heat / warmth, just use a fan (ie the white summer use type) on low setting blowing over your shoes / socks and they'll dry out in about 4 hours from dripping wet.  Have th efan blowing from the heel over the mid to the toes as that goes inside too, and dries from there.

• Options
    Today, inspired by a pep talk from Plum last night, I came a step closer. New long bike record of 50 miles! Average speed 15.7mph which I'm not too upset about as that included walking over a bridge across the A52, several roundabouts and quite a lumpy route. Just hope the legs will hold up for a LSR tomorrow.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Wow that is pretty good - I really do think you go well on the bike given the amount of riding you've done.  

• Options
    Hi Pops, thanks. To be honest I'm not sure what's happening but I like it! Didn't slow down at the end at all today despite throwing my carb drink (and Giant bottle) away about half way (not on purpose obviously) so having no further fuel or drink. We went out up to Ockbrook than on to Stanley, Breadsall and Horsley before heading to Coxbench and doing your Tuesday evening route then home and added on a loop to make the mileage up. It was quite lumpy from here to Coxbench - I got so slow and wobbly on one of the hills that I nearly fell off in to the gutter. I think I might need to get the set up of my bike looked at though, I was beginning to get pain across my shoulders, in my right hip and lower back. Any ideas as to where I could take it to have someone who knows a lot more than me play with it? The guys at Leisure Lakes are great but more into mtb etc than road/tri.
  • Options
    Could try http://www.ttbikefit.com/ .  This is what James had done  and it worked for him, and I'm going to get done probably early December, want to change a few things myself first to get close and also sort my back out a bit more.
  • Options
    Thanks D74 but I think I need a person really - I am a complete bike numpty and wouldn't even know if I were doing the adjustments right.
  • Options
    Fair enough, but they tell you which parts to buy (if needed) and the distances to move anything.  They include an after assessment to make sure the new set up is right too.
  • Options
    i went to cyclefit at covent garden, it was great. they use a giant protractor on your hips and all sorts.  the "fitted" bike i had (computer fitted at LBS) turned out to be entirely wrong for me.  it's not just limb length that counts, it's flexibility and body dynamics
  • Options
    Great riding LMH, good stuff on here, bit techie though isn't it? I mean for pro athletes fair enough but for Mr cycle a bit, head down peddling hard etc. a good fit bike is good enough?
  • Options

Think about running shoes.  Do you just get the the first pair that your feet squeeze into?  No, you try 3 pairs, buy the ones that are right for your gait, shoe size and shape (ie wide / long) and generally 'feel' best.  With bike fit then of course you can just chance it, and you may not get injured, you may get 90% of the power out and you may not be worried about the rest.  But for £30 given that there will be plenty of people that have spent at least £600 (ie 5%) then I'd say that was a sensible option.  You'd not run in £100 trainers without spending £5 on laces would you, and that's part of making the shoes fit.

• Options

True enough D74. First day today of riding to work and on the way home nearly knocked off by a twit turning left who didn't see me. I am a pretty savvy bike rider albiet used to having a bike with an engine, but jeez, it makes me mad!

Strangely enough I "feel" a lot more comfortable on my MTB. I think the riding position is better and I get more power and am more economical with it. I guess I am faster on my racer but I feel cramped, awkward, uncomfortable and not at ease at all. This time my new bike will be properly sized and fitted and not bought cheap as chips from ebay. 

• Options

Candy - that's one of the reasons I think I need a person.

D74 - they're the reasons I want to get the bike fitting!

Lee - my husband bougt our bikes over the internet though I had sat on the bike in a shop so knew that it was basically the right size but my comfort and speed were much improved when the LBS did a few basic adjustments for me.

• Options

I think the key is that there's no guarantee that the people in hte shop know what they are doing though.  Most bikes have a lot of adjustability, and even if it means getting a different stem, or new saddle post then it's cheaper than a new bike.

I really feel odd on my MTB now as I don't get to ride it anywhere near as often as I should, but am used to the position and handling of my road bikes. 

• Options

LMH - I'm not saying you don't need to adjust your position - but I would discount the pain in your hip/shoulders etc as a reason - and the reason is because as you say yourself today was a "New long bike record".   A little bit of discomfort is maybe not inevitable but I don't think it indicates a poor position.  If you had continued discomfort after doing a lot of riding then it might be a reason to start thinking about changing. 

If you do get a bike fitting I'd agree that you need it in person - not a video - I can't see that anyone can make adjustments of fractions of a cm by a video.   I don't know of anywhere that does bike fitting locally - personally if it were me I'd just work it out myself by making small adjustments - and if you aren't sure asking other people their opinion and trying things.    Maybe Lizzy B could suggest somewhere in Nottm, maybe Langdales, I think that's the shop she uses.  Even with professional bike fitters it is just their opinion and whilst I'm sure cycle fit are better than most if you look at cycling forums some people will still say they wasted their money with them.   There is no perfect fit - sometimes comfort, power, handling may be trade offs and it's down to feel what is right - you only have to look at how Merckx adjusted his position throughout his career - sometimes mid-race if you watch him in Paris Roubaix in A Sunday In Hell.  

• Options
    I've watched this conversation with interest.... I'm relatively new to biking (other than mucking around as a kid, and the occassional ride to the local shop for some more milk) so am sure that I'm not set up right - now been using my new Orbea for about 6 months and up to about 30 miles but at that point my knees are hurting (muscle pain on the upper outer bit of the knee at the base of the quad).  Question, and this is really to Popsiders point, can these adjustments be made on a turbo and how far should you cycle before confirming that an adjustment is right.  I'm thinking that if I have to tweak something by 5mm then turbo for the equiiv of 30 miles then make another tweak...... I shall be fit as f*** by the time the set up is right image  Cheers
  • Options

500!

have another question, but will save that for the next page! 

• Options

Do those of you who use turbos regularly have a second wheel/gear cluster???  I've changed tyres on my back wheel to a turbo tyre (why is that so much easier at home) set the bike into the turbo and then bang - week off and it's sunny!  How irritating is that?

What's the general concensus:

a - become pretty slick at changing tyres
    b - second wheel
    c - turbo on normal road tyres

• Options

Second wheel definitely,

I just wouldn't use the turbo otherwise. And I intend to become very closely acquainted with mine this winter.....

• Options
    Second wheel - will be about £40 for a shimano 105 level then use a second cassette.  Wear is negligible as it's inside and clean, so it'll last for ever.
  • Options

And to your first question, then don't see it as cycling 30 miles to test position, see it as making tweaks to your position, then doing your normal training and if it's still giving you a problem after a long session, then change again.  Only make small changes at a time, and only make another change after a short time if it's resulting in pain, and then definately change sooner rather than later.  Remeber that one change may well effect something else.  Dropping the front 5mm will close your hip angle, and put more strain on the hams, so to preserve that then you need to move the saddle forward slightly, and if you do that then depending on your bike seatpost angle then you may need to adjust the height to maintain the distance between pedal and seat.

Changing position on the turbo is ok, but you do need some checks outside as you will ride a bit differently out there.  

• Options
    Thanks Pops - I'll give it another few weeks and see how things are feeling. The hip pain was a bit of a worry as I do get bursitis in that hip and if I irritate it enough to make it flare up I shan't be doing much other than hobbling, eating NSAID's and sitting on ice packs for a few days!
  • Options
    LMH, make sure you carry on doing the mobility exercises your physio advised to prevent a reoccurance.  It's a lot easier to prevent than recover.
  • Options
    D74 - trust me, I do my physio exercises six days a week (exception is before the LSR) and stretch before and after exercise and, to the occasional amusement of my colleagues, at any other time I think I need to. Hip was fine for the run today which was a relief. I'm quite impressed with managing 13 miles after yesterdays ride, all I need to do now is lose the 24hrs between elements and I have a half ironman sewn upimage
  • Options

Many thanks for the answers. Second wheel it is then! Started tweaking yesterday and all of the points above are spot on. Dropped bars 1cm, seat forward 2cm, twisted cleat about 5 degrees and bingo, comfy for a half hour thrash on the machine. May lift the saddle a touch next time. Will see how it feels. Also fun practicing taking shoes off without unclipping - I can see how that would lead to a whole new world of embarressment in a race if you cocked it up image

LMH, join a gang of us at Bala in June if you fancy going to half IM!
  • Options

Weekend ride got me into the 30 club

10m TT

• NGL : 45m 30
      WildWill 36m 43 (94% WW IM)
      Maddy 35ish  
      MaxPower: 31m 34   
      Stump: 29m 51s
      JPenno : 28m 40

15m TT

• DV : 65
      MaxPower: 47:52

25m TT

• WildWill 96:59 (89% WW IM)
      Stump: 93 min 41 secs
      MaxPower: 90:50 

30m TT

• DV :  2hrs 15mins
    • Stump: 1hr 46mins
  • Options

Morning all

Decided to go out on my MTB for  my weekend long ride this week - did a 36mile out and back ride one the Sustrans C2C rout down to Roke then went up the cast for a bit

Took 1:30:45 to get to the turn around point the 1:31:25 to get back so quite pleased with that image

Total ride 3:02 

Legs are a bit tired today

• Options
    3 hours in the saddle is great work