Allotment News

Comments

• I've finally managed to clear the all of the patch that will be my vege patch. Dug over, de-stoned, and a path laid alongside. What's the best thing to do to it over the winter? I was thinking a mulch of manure which I would then dig in come spring would be a good way of keeping it clear over winter.

A source of said stuff is my next task.

Any other suggestions?

• Local stables will normally provide well rotted manure for free. Or will deliver for a small charge.

Otherwise what about planting a green manure?

• HL - either of HC's suggestion would be fine but if the ground hasn't grown any veg for a while, I'd be tempted to go with the well rotted manure option. be careful where you get it from though as some well rotted stuff could have remnants of herbicide if they have used that for treating the grass the animals have been munching on. so ask if any of the manure has come from herbicide treated fields - if so, avoid. most of the time you'll be fine though

we gave up trying to keep the toms going until Xmas as the plants were starting to get some blight and lots of powdery mildew, so we harvested all the fruit yesterday and chopped the plants down. same with the aubergines and last few chillies. the garden's looking a bit barer now for all the work but it had to be done sometime. we'll see if we can keep some green toms to ripen slowly indoors for Xmas but I suspect they won't last and will need cooking

a loads of pots and trays washed up yesterday as a result and still loads to do
  • Good point about the herbicide FB.

Started the cleaning process in the garden.  And already got seeds for next year delivered image

Also managed to procure 50 scaffolding boards so I can expand the raised beds.  Room for asparagus and all the stuff I'd quite like to grow but never have enough space image

• Helen Liz wrote (see)

I've finally managed to clear the all of the patch that will be my vege patch. Dug over, de-stoned, and a path laid alongside. What's the best thing to do to it over the winter? I was thinking a mulch of manure which I would then dig in come spring would be a good way of keeping it clear over winter.

A source of said stuff is my next task.

Any other suggestions?

Horses bottoms HL image
    Mulch with 3" or 4" of the lovely stuff, then dig in come the spring time...
    Potatos like rotted grass cuttings to feed off as well as digging in manure. Place a bed of grass in the trench, lay pots and then more poo and soil over.

• FB have you dumped your used compost yet? I'll have it if you haven't!
  • sorry mate - yes we have - last went to recycling this morning
  • Not about veg... but daffs. When's the latest I can plant the bulbs? I've got lots of varieties blooming from Jan right up to June. Ground has been like concrete and wasn't able to plant them, but hopefully it's softening up a bit now with the bit of rain. Have planted the miniature ones in pots but haven't planted the ones in the garden yet!
  • before the first frosts is usually OK squish so get them in asap while the weather's fine!
  • Garden - yes I remember than - it's outside in't it, doesn't have internet though. image I have been slacking, I'm so lazy. image
  • Thanks FB. All planted! Sprouts are doing okay, still got those little white fluttery beasties on them though, but they're slowly dying off now it's cooler. They seem to be eating some of the leaves but not the sprouts thankfully. Picked my first couple of handfulls for tonights dinner image (sprouts that is, not the white fluttery beasties) image

Not much else left in now, planted the onion sets today too, pulled the rest of the onions but they're more like shallots, but then I may have planted shallots, I can't remember image Dug up the last of the tatties and got rid of the beans.

• Iron squishy, is the ground in your allotment like clay? I had same proplems and I think that the ground is too compact for the onions to grow.I planted some onions seeds in a raised bed with not so compact soil and they grew much bigger.Next year I will prepare the soil with more care prior to planting and avoid walking near or around the onions whilst they grow.
  • Roy, yep, got lots of clay round here. The good things is, a couple of years of planting tatties it seems to have broken it up nicely, but still probably not ideal for onions. good point thanks. Will eventually get some nice neat raised beds in with some nice imported soil...image
  • Iron squishy,regarding the white fluttery beasties. Spray with water mixed with washing up liquid. Bit late in the year now, but get the buggers in the pupa stage next year.
  • Thanks Roy.... my gardening chum at work recommended flour dissovled in water. When it dries it sticks to them and dehydrates them. Seemed to work well... although my sprout plants are a funny white colour image

• Hello all. Looks like after seceral years wait I am getting a plot. Not the best time of year I guess - just wondering if there is much I can plant now? I'm in Devon so relatively mild. Going to see it today but I imagine will need some clearing.

• JG - I wouldn't worry about planting anything now as very little is going to grow and even if anything does start, the winter will knock them flat as they won't be strong enough to survive. just focus on getting it prepped for next spring with clearing any crap out and getting some manure laid down so it breaks down into the soil over winter
  • I would always bow to the gardening wisdom of FB but if you are desperate to plant something then garlic or autumn sown broad beans can be put in now. 

A lot depends on the state of the soil and how much work it needs as that planting window is rapidly closing.

• good call on garlic and broad beans HC, but I'd still wait until spring and get the prep done first and find out what state the soil's in.

I was looking at my tiny patch this morning and although the salad leaves have sprung up I don't think they're going to thrive now. and my leeks are shite (slightly better than last year) so I've decided I'm pulling everything up and laying down a good layer of manure ready for next spring. it's what I didn't do last winter so it's time to do that I reckon

still have loads of toms in the fridge and they're keeping well so I'm still kind of hoping we'll have some homegrown for Xmas. image

otherwise, it's planning what to grow next year
  • Great news on the toms FB.  My died a very sad blighty death again this year.  Not sure I'll bother with them next year.

Already planning and looking forward to it.  Just focusing on scraping up the tons of leaves that have descended in the last week.

• "Not sure I'll bother with them next year."

surely not? you HAVE to grow toms - it's the law! the blighted ones - indoors or out (or both)? I haven't suffered blight for years as all mine are outdoors and we get plenty of breeze in GWR to help keep the plants dry. blight loves dampness. maybe think of outdoor planting in pots, or the soil, if you've not done that??
  • Thanks all. Just agreed to it, nice and flat and with a sea view! Not too much clearing to do. Glad to finally get one after over 2 years wait. They are finally pulling their fingers out - lots of overgrown plots there which is crazy given the number on the waiting list.
  • good luck with it jeremy, we got ours a few months ago and have only cleared and covered it ready for next year. awaiting shed so we can get a fence to keep out the rabbits then all systems go come spring.
  • Jeremy, dig some small trenchs about 18 deep by 18 inchs wide as long as you like,fill with cut grass ,leaves, manure and cover back over with the soil and leave till next spring to plant pots over the top.dont forget to mark where the trenchs are.It helps to feed the pots and gives them room to grow in the soft soil.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    "Not sure I'll bother with them next year." surely not? you HAVE to grow toms - it's the law! the blighted ones - indoors or out (or both)? I haven't suffered blight for years as all mine are outdoors and we get plenty of breeze in GWR to help keep the plants dry. blight loves dampness. maybe think of outdoor planting in pots, or the soil, if you've not done that??

Inside (greenhouse), outside in pots and raised beds.  It's heartbreaking.

I've bleached out the greenhouse and always wash the pots before planting.  Not just me but the whole street seem to get it.  

It's just Grrrrrrrrrrr. image

• Despite or maybe because of the the snow, sprouts/savoys/cavolo nero are all looking great. Perp spinach and chard still eating OK

What treats has anyone else got at the moment?

• I don't have an allotment (wish I did though!!)_, but I do have a little plot in my garden and tend to dig up more of the lawn as I need it much to my husband's annoyance   teehee.

At the mo I have main crop tatties (first time ever for those); leeks doing well; red onions and garlic also going well and some rather sorry for themselves sprouts! I'm usually ok with sprouts but not this year! Have a few salad leaves, but think they may be suffering now with the wind despite some protection.....image

The rest of my little plot is covered in seaweed or vraic as it is called here in Jersey, and will be used as great manure/fertiliser for the Jersey Royals going in probably Feb time.

I'd love to try the purple potatoes - anyone done them - they have them on D T Browns website) limited stuff over here).

This year I did some strawberry shaped cherry toms that were a Christmas pressie from my other half - they were fab! Looked just like a strawberry in shape but real tomato taste - lovely with balsamic vinegar and basil (home grown of course!).

Rang about an allotment to rent - 4 year waiting list!!

• Corky2Corky2 ✭✭✭

Come on! Where's your updates? It's Spring!!

Just planted some beetroot and butternut squash for the first time so looking forward to asking some questions as to what to do next

• I have potatoes sitting chitting on the kitchen windowsill, and just need to dig the winter mulch in before planting. Going for spuds, carrots & parsnips in the vege patch, then toms, cucumbers & lettuce in the greenhouse. May add stawberries & melons to that list, depends on space & organisation!

Also plan to plant a plum tree, which I suppose I ought too do sooner rather than later now.

Mowed the lawn for the first time as well - ho hum, that's a never ending job!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I am digging over the veg patch at work. Well not right now but inbetween stints of sitting at the pc I'm digging over the veg patch at work and doubling it in size. Onion sets went in a while back. Am going to plant some peas as they work well. Brussels from last year are still in. No one uses them much but the rabbit likes them.

It's going to be a slow process getting this veg patch sorted. It was a flower bed lrft to weed. I'm trying to encourage composting but that's not going too well. At the staff meeting yesterday someone mentioned compost bins and I said I wanted bins and kitchen caddies for all the houses. Maybe we can improve the soil a little here at least.

This house has a very large mature garden but it needs a complete overhaul. Job for life.