Why did YOU start running???

124»

Comments

• Uncle ran when I was a kid, the stories of Marathon's in Moscow, Chicago and Rejkavic amongst others inspired me. ran quite seriously until 1997 but a back injury and lazyness have got in the way since still trying to get back.... surely at 34 it shouldn't be too difficult?
  • I started running because my hubby said there was no way I could run in a 5K race. That was 3 years ago and this year I even ran a half marathon. He really has had to eat his words!!!

Sian 

• I started running so that I could eat junk and drink wine and not worry about putting on weight
  • Nice Lou-Lou,

its good to know that when you are fit and stay healthy all the treats in the world are available to you with no guilt......you just have to keep staying fit. ....easy for me,

I believe although i am sure someone will correct me, if you eat a marsbar it would 3 miles of running to rid your system of its damage.....when i look at fat people i wonder if anything can be done for some of them.

Cheers G

• I started running 5 years ago to run a 5k and raise money for charity in memory of a friend who died of cancer. 11 marathons, 2 ultras and many charities later I'm still running and loving it image
  • I started running because my relationship with alcohol was out of control.  I was living in chaos with my head down the loo, and frequent blackouts.

I took up running because it was free, could fit in easily with the kids, and I have a dog.

Run my first 1/2 in February - and I will run past that pub!

Also running with a hangover is a killer!

• Hey Hope 2finish

My bro is at present screwed up in a bad way with your chosen drug of choice, we all feel for him as he is out of control and no one at this time can help him, he is beyound help at present....i hope that he notices or is inspired by me, and the runs i have done as you have been.

drink destroys more lives than people can ever imagine, but it is so well disguised and hidden from view.

so sad so so sad.

• Hi Gary

I hope your brother seeks help.  He will only do it when he is ready though.  Have you considered  Al-anon for the family members?. 

I still have many issues with alcohol, and I still slip, however life is so much better now than 12 months ago. 

Running continues to help me in so many ways.

best wishes

HTF

• I started running 7 years ago when my ex wife used to moan at me because riding cycle races took up too much time and we had a baby to look after.

So i packed in cycle racing and started to run because it took up less time so i could spend more time with family.But me been competetive meant that i soon started doing running races which pulled me and my exwife further apart,so we went our seperate ways and i have enjoyed running ever since.

• To become a "runner",  thats why!   No really, I wanted to take my fitness seriously and thought i better start before I get too old.   Also I had recently broken up with a bf.

There seemed always something very zen like about running, which has always made an impression on me as well. I'm not zen at all but when I fully warm up, I think I get close.

• Used to play semi pro footy so running was a means to a end. Stopped playing competitive footy in my early thirties, but still trained. About a year ago I was invited to train with some proper runners, of which I discovered I was quite good at this running lark and even enjoyed the experience.

So I decided to take it a bit more seriously....wish I'd have done it ages agoimage
  • I know what you mean about a 'Zen-like' state. Day off work today so went for a long run. Trouble is I got lost and ended up doing around 9 miles - much longer than usual!!! But I got to the point where I was in a bubble and felt I could run for ever (Forrest Gump like!!!). 1 hour and 15 minutes later I was greeted by my wife at the front door in a mad panic. She thought I'd been run over!!!
  • Haha, yeah...9 miles thats impressive for a run!  I've heard that from others as well- that feeling that you could run forever... its pretty cool.  I guess its that runner's high that we are chasing.  But its less of a "high" and more of an overall elevation of well being.

I've been recovering from my first marathon (in NYC) so I havent run much.  Can't wait for the weekend to get back into it! 

• Congratulations on NYC marathon - did you beat Radcliffe?!!
  • I started running because everybody (including my wife) laughed in my face when I said I was thinking about trying it.
  • Nothing like a mocking wife to spur us chaps on!!!
  • the police kept catching me
  • At 17,while on holiday in tenerife i declared that i would run the london marathon.11 years later i've started running and feel brilliant.just done a half mara and now building up to the full one.Also its takes a lot of smirks off the faces of these people who always thought they were better and very quick to put me down.

nice to have the last laugh

• I hated organised sport at school.  Simply hated it, I was more interested in skyving off than in rugby or cross country.  It was only after I left school that I thought about getting fit.  That was way back in 1980.   I heard an ad on Capital Radio (in those days on 539MW!!!!) for 'Today's Runner' - now RW - so I went and bought a copy.  The advertising worked... and I started running.  On and off as I didn't really know what I was doing, felt really self-conscious, my dad thought it was all a huge joke, then it all slipped.  As I said some pages back, I then did the gym thing and then baby came along so I couldn't do that any more.  And this bloke at work was mithering me to go running at lunchtime.  So I did, and haven't looked back since, apart from when I simply couldn't - I had a motorbike accident (my own fault) and mashed my pelvis.  All healed up nowimage

I wish I'd done it properly years ago.

• I started running 7 mounths ago. I remember the first day, I could not even run 10 meters without feeling i would die! Im up to 10 miles now and training for a marathon.
  • Debbie you are a star.  Perseverance really pays off.  Wish I'd stuck at it in the face of my dad's scoffing.
  • Generally to stay in shape and keep fit. I do it now to try a sub 40 min 10k. I swim as well as run and enjoy both.  I must admit I have taken it far too seriously of late! 
  • I started because I moved job, and therefore gym, to one where there were lots of treadmills and no cross-training machines. After a while I discovered I actually preferred running and now have run a couple of 10K races. But the races might be a mid-life crisis thing, I recently turned 40! Last time I raced before this was an 800m when I was about 11. 
  • Started after getting far to heavy when my youngest was born and then got very badly shown up by a 17 year old playing 5 a side footy. Started in Jan 06 and ran my first half in March 07. Love every minute of it including all the aches and pains!!!