Options

Boston 2009

Comments

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Trin  RC ,I did my ESTA a few weeks ago and forgot about it until today.

NC ,The snow forcast looks worrying ,maybe I should pack my skiboots.

All try not to eat too many Easter Eggs this weekend

• Options

2old. What a stopid kwestion. Cheeses, man. U're not even a proper runer.

All. Please don't worry. 2old will 'get it'.

2old. Haven't seen him Stateside, either. And I spend a lot of time there.

http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/content/scripts/tinymce/plugins/emotions/images/whistle.gif

My wife cleared things with Ester ages ago.

I hope.

All. Lots of Boston residents on the US forum have been trying to convince everyone that weather forecasts are more or less pointless there in Spring. The most optimistic of them thought that the earliest we might be able to tell something about marathon-day weather was on the Friday immediately before it.

• Options

Talking of the Red Sox, I have 3 pairs of tickets for Fenway Park that I want to sell.

2 for Friday 17th, 2 for Tues 21st and 2 for Wed 22nd April.

They are 'general admission' i.e. they are officially standing tickets, but you can sit in any unoccupied seats.A trip to the ball game at Fenway (oldest baseball park in the US) is one of those must-do experiences.

I'm going to put them on sale on one of the US tickets sites tomorrow, but if anyone is interested, drop me a line at andy@runningcommentary.net before midnight tonight (Thursday).

They cost me $48.50 for each pair.

I have 2 other tickets for the Tuesday night that I'll be using.

• Options
    RC. Very kind of you to give us the heads up. I would love to take my son to the Friday 17th game if the tickets are still up for graps. (We leave on the morning of the 21st.) If those tickets are still free, could I baggsie them? Many thanks.
  • Options
    RC. Good luck with your Maidenhead or, by the time you read this, I hope you are happy with your Maidenhead.
  • Options

Thanks, it went well by my modest standards.

4 or 5 weeks ago, after missing a lot of of training through injury, I was despairing at getting round Boston, but am feeling much more confident now. The Maidenhead 10 miler was a good run out.That will be my last long run. Just a few 3-5 milers over the next 7 days before flying out on Friday.

• Options

Well done RC!! Glad you're back out there image

Right... sorry for the delay but I've had a couple of life rocks thrown at me this last week so I've been a tad distracted.

I only received 3 sets of contact details.. NotCat, L'ardvark, and RunningCommentary. That's fine if others would rather not send the contact details... although I have had counselling to deal with my stalking obsession so there's no need to worry image

(Kddin by the way!)

I've now put the contact details into a very neat little table, so shall I send what I have out to everyone?

• Options

Hiya folks,

Sorry for my disappearing act its been a looooooooooong week.  Went back to a total shambles at work and have given back about as many hours as I had  off sick.  How can people make such an arse of a job in such a short period of time.

I'm finally back running again after my unplanned absense.  Had a 30 min run which was awful last night and a more spritely 4 miler on a dreadmill tonight.  It was pretty tough going but you have to start again somewhere. 

I was a bit worried about the weather report on the yank site I've just seen with 40mph winds for 26 miles. image On the upside that should leave a cross wind for the other 0.2 miles image

Sorry trinity I'm away to mess up your lovely neat little table!!!!!!

• Options

Trin - <a title="Video " target="_blank">Video </a>(stay with it)

• Options
    I'm dead impressed he could still bend his knees lol image
  • Options

That caught me off guard L'a... I didn't read the title and when I realised what was going on... well, you know the rest...

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

All you lot are busy tonight -why arentyou watching Shawshank Redemption for the 100 th time?

L Ard thanks for the insults feel more at home now. I did a 4 mile race today does that make me a proper runner or confirm Im shtupid?

What s this marathons and marriage thing? When I ran FLM I chatted to a guy running in full morning suite  whod been to a wedding the day before and decided not to change for the race and earlier two people actually stopped to marry just around Towe Bridge   what a way to spoil a PB.

Trin I will try to send my details when I work  out how.

RC thanks for the ticket offer but other things planned like early to bed etc

Really cant be bothered running anymore ,just want to eat and drink loads. Help

• Options

2old... just click on my name and then click on Email me image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Trin thanks how easy was that
  • Options

So now I have NotCat, RunningCommentary, L'ardvark, Caniggia33, 2old, et moi

Is that everybody?

• Options

Agree with 2old about Shawshank. Yes, I did watch for the 100th time. Believe it or not, my tears have   fallen into the keyboard and made it do funny things.

• Options

Canni. Welcome back.

Trin. Many thanks for the admin. Apart from aumd (do you want to play, aumd?),  I think that is everyone - unless there are any lurkers who would like to jump in at this late stage??? If you could send details today, that would be great. I'm flying to Boston early Monday morning!

RC. Sorry. As I was just typing to Trin I realised I have just lied to you in an email. We are flying the day after tomorrow. I had dismissed a whole day from my brain - I think because of my planned long run (of 12 miles or so!).

2old. I am looking forward to insulting you face to face. How did the race go?

• Options
    LA -- no worries. I've sent the tix. Hope you've received them.
  • Options

I've just sent the list out to you all... hope it's all correct, let me know if not image

• Options

Trin. Got it. Many thanks. Beautiful table.

• Options

Thanks Trinity.

In case you've not come across SteveRunner, you might be interested in his Boston videos and podcasts. He can be a little irritating but he's about the same standard as me (i.e. low) and he's a fellow George Sheehan fan, so I cut him some slack.

He's run Boston about 8 times, via invitationa entry, and has a lot of useful stuff about the race to get your taper madness juices really flowing.

http://steverunner.libsyn.com/index.php?post_year=2009&post_month=04

• Options
    RC. Everyone bigs-up (grammar?) George Sheehan. I have seen a few quotes from him, but nothing very long. Are you able to recommend a good, available source of his printed works?
  • Options

LA -- yes, I'm a big Sheehan fan. Interesting guy and inspirational writer. He was an erudite, cerebral man with a unique take on what it is to be a runner. He started running in his 40s, and ended up with the world record for the mile for his age. He ran Boston many times in his 50s and 60s. Died of cancer in, I think, about 94.

As for what to recommend -- the key word you used is "available. For some inexplicable reason, he is out of print so I've picked up most of my Sheehan stuff second hand on Amazon or ebay. His classic book is "Running and Being", but also highly regarded are "On Running" and "Personal Best ".

Worth checking out http://www.georgesheehan.com/.

Regarding steverunner.com, can I recommend everyone listens to the lastest podcast, no 181 -- http://steverunner.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=449992. It's an overview of the course, and has a lot of interesting advice and insights for the first time Boston runner.

• Options

Thanks RC, but I can't get any sound on his youtube vids, is it just me?

• Options

Trin - Thanks for the top admin - I'm not sure whether my phone will be working in the US yet - but I will be checking this site on my lap top as I'm assuming wifi will be easy to find. Youtube vids work OK for me.

Canni - Welcome home young fellow - good to hear you are on the road to recovery! And pleased to see your stalker has popped up again!

• Options

Against my better judgement I'm going to go to a 10 mile race tomorrow.  I just need to blow the cobwebs and get a bad run out of my system.  Its a nice rounte around Strathclyde Park with lots of loops so if I need  to call it a day I can.  Need to come out of hibernation some time image

• Options

RC. Thanks for the Sheehan tips. The website has a bunch of essays which I will read sometime soon. I can't get on with listening to Steve Runner, though, I'm afraid! I've just had to turn him off in Natick.

Aumd. "Joggers of the world unite!"

Canni. A 10 mile race a week out from Boston. You are such fun!

Barrett / Smyffie! Are you here just to rile Canni? Welcome either way.

All, I am trying to change my avatar to an actual photo of me, so that you can stop me on the streets of Boston and make my kids think I'm famous. It is not as straightforward as on the U.S. site, though... I will persevere.

Have a great Sunday everyone. I've a 12 scheduled which I will (a) try not to exceed in distance, and (b) try not to run too hard. In the meantime, I distract myself by drinking. Hmmm.

• Options
    LA -- fair enough re steverunner. He gets irritatingly American sometimes, and I can't listen to most of his stuff, but I thought that one about the course and the hills was useful.

I did a 10 mile race on Friday, and gym yesterday. Planning on just a few short (3 or 4 miles) runs between now and Friday, when we leave. My main fear is beer. After a few abstemious weeks, I've had a rather alcoholic weekend. This isn't a good time to start a beer and crisps binge.