Options

Boston 2009

Comments

• Options

Got a question...

I want a Boston marathon jacket... do you think that they will run out by Saturday? image

• Options

I can only go on what I've read, which is that people complain about the smaller sizes running out by Sunday. If you're there on Saturday morning, I would think you'll be OK.

Crikey, I've read so much about Boston that I feel I can advise on things that I really have no idea about whatsoever.  image

• Options

RC - I'm with you on that one - I feel I've learned more about this race in the past 3 or 4 weeks than any other topic I've ever studied. The only problem is I've taken on board so much that many of the ideas are incompatible with each other.

eg Get the bus early vs leave it late

slow down at Wellesly and enjoy vs get a boost to your pace

1 mile to go when you see the Citgo sign vs You can see the Citgo sign for ages

Wombat - welcome back - that's one hell of a flight schedule.

A slow 5 tomorrow and a day celebraing my daughter's 3rd birthday with 35 kids 40 parents and an army of 11 year old girls helping out. The Newton hills will be easy after that.

• Options

Good luck to all going over this year.  I'm deeply envious - I will do Boston again one year.

Trin, I've heard that the usual suppliers of the Boston jackets aren't doing any this year, so the only ones are the Adidas ones.  They still look pretty good though.  On the plus side the Adidas stuff is also available outside the expo.  The Bill Rogers store will have it, and there's a big Adidas store in one of the Prudential Centre just along from the expo.

• Options

Thanks everyone for the postings about the jackets. I too was worried that they may all be gone by the time I get there on Saturday. Looking on the RW US site, it seems that the official race jacket is a "must have". Some runners were more concerned about getting the jacket than the race itself !!

Sarted packing last night. Weather is a bit of a mixed bag over the next week so still not sure what to take. Final decision will be made tomorrow !!

• Options

Latest weather news is encouraging, though comes with the massive caveat that the forecasts are frequently way out.

40% chance of showers on the day, though may not be in the morning. Temperature from low 40s to low 50s.

I've often run races in the rain without problem, but would prefer none at Boston. Don't want anything to subdue the crowd.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

RC forecast looking good.Give me rain anyday as long as it isnt windy or too hot.  Think I will take a trip to the pound shop to stock up on items to make my stay more comfortable in the athletes village.

ALL when and  where is it provisionally planned to meet after the race? Cant promise to be there but will help to work out how to get there in advance .

• Options
    No rain please... my asthmatic lungs don't like rain image
  • Options

Trinity -- Here are some more tears for you.

The great Bill Rodgers is running this year, for the first time since 96. Here's some great footage of him winning 30 years ago, with a bit about the Newton Hills.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTVylg2xCMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTVylg2xCM[/url]

• Options

Trinity -- Here are some more tears for you.

The great Bill Rodgers is running this year, for the first time since 96. Here's some great footage of him winning 30 years ago, with a bit about the Newton Hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTVylg2xCM

• Options

The butterflies have started!

• Options
    Thanks for all the videos folks ... just been watching videos of the Welsey Girls, Newton Hills, beers at Boston College, the CITGO sign, .... I'm exhausted already.

Bring it on!
    http://www.fetcheveryone.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif

• Options
    I'm sad enough to have had an animated screensaver of the Citgo sign on my PC for the last 3 months... image
  • Options

I've had the course topography pinned in front of my desk for the last 16 weeks.

This will be my final post from UK - am taking laptop with me though.

Safe journey everyone 

• Options

travel safe NotCat

enjoy your run!

• Options
    just discovered my number .... 12265 in case anyone is interested
  • Options

I'm interested...are you in corral 11 or 12? I'm in 12

Safe trip NotCat image

I haven't done the screen saver thing image do you think I should?

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Is everyone leaving? Iwant out too? Still only one day to go until lift off.

See you there Not Cat

B Wombat I will watch out for you and Trin pass me by

• Options

hmm, how do I find out what Corral I am in? O.K., a little research and I find the hint on the baa website "The first digit of your bib number (first two digits if your number is over 10,000) indicates your assigned corral." So, looks like me, you and 998 others will be in 12.

I haven't been using trhe screensaver either. At mile 25 I will put down any fatigue and discomfort down to the fact that my computer's screensaver was wrong. Sorted.

• Options

I've found a new desktop pic image

This is it

• Options
    erm... there is a link somewhere to the corrals, not sure where though. Someone put it on this thread
  • Options
    It's on the gmaclin spreadsheet.
  • Options
    Good Luck everyone, Boston's on my hitlist for next year hopefully, so will wait to hear your stories image
  • Options

Hello all, A nice steady four this morning, just before the rain started !!  Everything nearly packed and will be leaving soon. Next posting will be made from Boston.

Has a venue been decided upon for post marathon Monday ??

Two links here to vids which are not Boston / Running related, so no need to head off for the Kleenex Trin !! 

Two songs which I find very relaxing, the first one particularly uplifting, and I will be listening to them on the bus to Hopkinton..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4HjwQ77XM&feature=PlayList&p=3FEDFFD1711A0E9A&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVy4w6vq8y8

• Options

Hi all

A long time since I posted on this thread (for reasons which I will explain shortly) and I guess that most of you will have already left for Boston. 

So I have been out of circulation because (a) my wife had our 2nd child  (a girl) a month ago (b) I have been spending a lot of time trying to find a new job (got laid off in November) - the good news is that I have now been offered two jobs((!) and have to choose - and (c) because I started to develop an achilles tendinitis in mid-March.  I rested it for a week and, when it still hurt on a half-marathon, took myself off to the physio towards the end of March.  Lots of acupuncture and it hasn't given me any problems since.  The bad news is that I haven't run a 20-miler for 5 weeks and my hill training got axed about the same time.  The good news is that I did manage 16 miles with no problems about 10 days ago at an average of 8:08/mile (but did the 2nd half rather faster).  Reading your training reports has been very scary as the most weekly mileage I have done so far is 47 (coming back from the injury).

Been meaning to catch up with the news on here but have had no time to do so.  The entry pack arrived a few weeks back but I've been so busy that it's only now beginning to sink in.  My bib number is 10462.  I get to Boston Saturday lunchtime (local time) onn the BA flight from Heathrow.  I'm staying in a small place on Commonwealth Avenue.

Would be interested to meet up for a beer post race - are you still planning to go to Clery's?  I will also be joining the Boston Hash House Harriers for a beer at Crossroads pub in Back Bay at some point.  For those of you who get sick of sports drinks they will be handing out free beer at the start of Heartbreak Hill - watch out for signs saying "Beer Near" and "Beer Check" - they will be on the LH side of the road.  Trinity - the London Hash House Harriers will be doing the same a week later at FLM - also at about mile 20, near the Oddbins a little before the Royal Mint pub.

Good luck to everybody, especially Caniggia33.  My wife had chickenpox as an adult and was off work for three weeks; the idea that you're running a marathon blows my mind!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Hi Patrick I think there are still a few of us about.You seem to have had an evenrful run up to the race so you should have the mental wherewithall at least. I fancy the beer on Heart break Hill and maybe will try some if my wheels have fallen off at that stage. Im 9002 so probably in the same Corral or one infront.I fly off tomorrrow and cant wait

• Options

What I'm really looking forward to is two nights of uninterrupted sleep! image

May see you at the Beer Check.  I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it may be just the thing to get you up the Hill.  Only a small glass mind; Noakes reckons it interferes with glucose metabolism, but I think that's only if you scull a pint or more.  That said, I know a guy who does FLM most years as a pub-crawl.  Gets round in about 5 1/2 hours and 4 pints of Guiness.  And he's not a youngster.  I guess it's all in the training.

• Options

OK, that's it from me.

Next stop Beantown -- via Crawley and Dublin.

Hope i may see some of you in Boston.

Good night and good luck

Andy

• Options

Arrived.

Am in the Sheraton almost next door to the Expo and I've been out for an easy 4 miler to get the flight out of my legs.

I passed (yes PASSED) a group of Kenyans and their coach on the paths by the Charles River. I think I may have just accelerated a bit at that point and I assume they were doing their very easy warm up/down (about 8 min pace). Have celbrated with a bowl of clam chowder and a couple of undisciplined Guinnesses.

Looking forward to meeting you guys in the next few days. Patrick - I know exactly what you mean about the sleep. I have an 8 month old and a 3 year old amongst others and unbroken sleep is the most precious thing on earth.  

• Options

Ooh how exciting NotCat... I'm about to leave, taxi will be here any minute.

Im in Hilton Back Bay, supposed to be just across the street from expo, so I shouldn't be far from you

See you soon image

Outta here!

across the