Boston 2009

Comments

• Morning folks,

Like RC I also got washed out at Fenway last night, but can also pop along this afternoon before my flight. Still quite sore this morning but going to attempt a 4 miler over the last 4 miles of the mara. Meeting Trin at 10 at the Sheraton entrance if anyone else is still here and would like to come.

Star spotted Kara G and hubby running round Boston Common yesterday. She was moving pretty well for the day after a big run.  

BW - that is what is called a flying visit!!! Did you actually need a hotel or did you just run between flights?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Hi all just back so only a short one. Awesome wasnt it . I am still on a high with jelly legs.PB by nearly 10 mins 3.11.59- dont know where that came from! well done Trin and NC with your PBs and good running BW and RC.Sorry about not meeting up but family arrangements took priority.Pity as it looks as though you had a good time together.No way I could do FLM, Trin you must be mad.Oh and where did all the other hills before and after the Newton Hills come from?
  • Hello again chums

1. Sorry I failed to meet up with any of you on any occasion. I really wanted to but just couldn't get it together.

2. That wasn't me in the pizza place. I was worse for wear in an Irish pub singing along to songs of the 60s and 70s.

3. Impressive PBs, especially for those who took ki$$ing and pi$$ing breaks.

4. Fairly early on (about mile 6???) I passed someone in a Scotland shirt who was complaining about a virus within seconds of me saying "hello". I have suspicions that it was Canni, despite him seeming confused by the question when I asked.

5. Just under 3:09, a PB by about 2.5 minutes, despite two (now traditional - grrr) stops due to cramps (grrr).

6. The event was fabulous. Believe the hype.

7. Delayed onset ... My quads are sore today!

8. Best of luck to all who do subsequent Bostons.  

9. Best wishes to you all.

10. Now, what shall I do next...

• well sone L-ard.

I really enjoyed the day in Boston. And DoMS ... don't talk to me about DoMS. Still limping down stairs and this is Thursday. Must go out for a loosener tonight.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Blue Wombat if it makes you feel any better I am still suffering with my quads too infact they feel as though they have been battered with baseball bats and no way am I ready to go jogging yet. There is now a big gap in my life to fill and so as to avoid filling it with beer I have signed up for Berlin in September...so when do I get out on the road again I wonder?What are your plans.

LArd Have you decided what  to do next?

• going out tonight ... it's club night image .... quoting my club's website, this is what I have on offer this-evening:

Road session at west site 1500m 30 sec recovery 800m 4 mins recovery 800m 30 seconds recovery 1500m 6 minutes recovery repeat as above session with Alan. Track session 4 X 2 X 400m with 90 seconds recovery between reps and 5 minutes recovery between sets with James.

Hmmm ... but I have another 26.2 to do in London on Sunday, so I think I might just do a few laps of the track gently and barefoot, just to feel the tartan track under my feet.

Berlin is great ... I am tempted.

• Hey 2o. My quads have also been sore but are easing a little now. A short, gentle jog tomorrow, je pense. 

No - what to do next is driving me a little scatty. I did Berlin last year and don't want to go back 'just' to chase a PB, although sub-3 is not looking the fantasy it once did. Also, BW is correct that it is a good gig. I sure as fred need some sort of a goal, anyhoo. Beer and biscuits is an instant and constant habit otherwise. I'd like to do NY or Chicago, but this year would be just too much of a stretch. Still thinking. Please hold...

BW. You know you're insane, yes?
  • My quads were a bit sore Tues/Weds but are fine today.  A bit of discomfort also at the top of my left calf.  My biggest problem is that I managed to pull something in my right buttock yesterday (!) when bending down (somewhat gingerly) to pick up something my 2-year old son had dropped on the floor.  I'm claiming that it was the muscle stiffness from the race that set it off, otherwise it's not a sports injury at all!

I think I will be doing 1-2 1/2 marathons over the next 6 months as I need to give my wife time to train for a marathon.  She's looking at Hastings in December(?).  I will be doing child-care in her stead.

• Hi PY

I'm sure your wife's preparations include knowing more about this than I do, but I thought Hastings only had a one-off (ish) marathon last year to celebrate 100 years since their last one.

• Dead impressed by all these 3 hrs-ish times.Way out of my league, and I don't really belong in this company.

That said, I've been thinking. I've just been plodding along for years without trying to get better, but the Boston effect, and talking to so many people who regard it as an aspirational race, have set me thinking that I should reconsider my relationship with running. It's largely been an incidental keep-fit activity but I think I could definitely hammer my times down a fair bit with some application. I'll never get down to some of the times I'm reading about here, but it's no excuse not to try to improve.

Cheers all.

• RC. "Should"? I'm not sure about that. Deciding you fancy it a bit, well that's different. Best of luck with it. (I'm not keen on giving advice, but I can't stop myself cautioning, "Slow and steady build up". My mantra for quite a while has been "above all else, avoid injury." It's not the worst mantra I've had.)
  • I agree LA. I've had my own injury problems during this campaign and am at the age (51) where I have to be cautious, But everything's possible, and with an intelligent approach, improvements are possible, Apart from owt else, I could easily afford to lose 20 - 25 pounds. Even if I did nothing else, that would hack a good chunk off my PBs.
  • RC. We have much in common. I also agree with everything you say.

First step for me, ending my "I've just done a marathon" routine. From today, back to trying to get to bed at a decent time and (thereby) cutting back the calories (especialy the ones measured in units).

Second, find a way to develop flexibility and core and upper body conditioning without getting injured. I think I either need a personal trainer or to find a kosher running coach and/or some clued-up but human and likeable running buddies.

Third, get back to 50+ weekly miles, including speedword, without the aid of a plan directed towards a particular marathon.

So, I'd better get on with it! Have a great day all. I'll tell you what before I go, though. I am really pleased to be someone who has done Boston. Really pleased. I genuinely would recommend it to anyone interested in marathons. For me, it is a truly unique event.

• Hiya folks,

Thats just me getting home now.  Dont know what the hell time it is but just know as normal I got bugger all sleep on the plane.  Had a really good trip.  Boston is a fab place and so much friendlier than Noo Yoik.  I was surprised how cheap it was to sightsee there too.  Its a long time since I got into as many places for free or a wee donation.  I think mum and dad had a fab time too.

Now the race........ image

1st of all well done everybody on some pretty fab times.  PBs by Trin, Notcat and L'Ardvark (thanks for the e-mail by the way) were brill on that course and into the wind.  Thanks as well L'Ardvark, Patrick and copious other folk for trying to give me a kick up the arse.  It helped and I tried but it just wasn't happening for me.  I actually started OK but there was no real bounce in my running and even early on it was harder work than it should have been.  I'd hoped the passing pox and excitement of the day would have carried me through until about the start of the Newton hills but in reality it started to feel bad 10 whole miles earlier when L'Ardvark was the 1st of many contestants to pass me.  I had absolutely no stamina and just had to do what i could to get round running the downhill and flat bits and walking up the "h" words.  Not just the big ones at newton but pretty much any incline on the course.  By 18 it was becoming really hard work which I think is when Pat passed and then Trinity whizzed past me up heartbreak "h" word.  By 22 I just wanted to avoid a trip to the hospital and to get my medal and eventually got to the top of Hereford.  I was a bit choked when I got round the corner of Boylston St.  For a long time I'd dreampt about going to Boston and running that last stretch and I had made it but with it was the disappointment that I'd made such a pigs ear of running the 1st 25.8 miles.  I felt really ill after I stopped and went straight to my bed for a few hours. (sorry for not making it to the pub).   At the end of the day though the dream was to qualify for and run Boston and I managed it.  Whether I will ever manage to run fast enough again to get in and run it properly is another matter. image

• Canig. You're only about 12 years old, judging by the look of you. So you will definitely do it again and you will undoubtedly "do it properly" (especially if you keep cheating by qualifying at Edinburgh). That said, I would claim you did it plenty properly given the conditions. Everyone who gets there deserves the medal as far as I'm concerned, you perhaps even more than most. There are plenty who would simply have dropped out.

• Caniggia - glad to see you resurface.  I was beginning to become a little concerned by the radio silence.  As L'ardvark says you will qualify again.  As he says you have youth on your side and those qualifying times to lengthen as you get older.  There is no way on God's earth I would have qualified for Boston much younger than I am now.  Your penultimate sentence is the one to focus on.  Before I flew out my wife told me that the key thing was not how I did in the race, but the fact that I had managed to qualify for Boston.  There are many marathon runners who will never achieve (my wife is still looking to BQ after more than 20 races over more than a decade, but she remains hopeful).

L'ardvark - on your earlier post to me: I've just checked the events calendar and it looks like you're right about Hastings.  Guess she'll have to find another event.  She's done Beachy Head a couple of times; perhaps Florence... I picked up a couple of fliers from their stall at the Expo.  Must be psychic!

• PY. "On on". I've just read your profile, thinking you might be local to me. (I'm in Brighton.) Your DW may not have BQ-d but, well, wow! Kudos to her. Incidentally, I also picked up the Florence flier...
  • I picked up one of those flyers too image

http://www.robertharrop.com/cmsimages/mr02.jpg

• well done trinity.  I couldn't manage 3:37 in my one effort never mind in my second marathon in 7 days!!!!!!!!!!
  • 3:37. Goodness gracious, Trin. You really are a warrior. Excellent work, especially in this heat. 
  • So, just because I'm too lazy to go back through the thread and/or search all other relevant ones, whose doing which Summer/Fall (Autumn) marathons? Despite having alredy done it last year, Berlin falls at the best time for me and they did keep mentioning it on today's commentary... Haven't ruled out Dublin, Florence...
  • I'm in berlin because it is cheaper than a weekend in newcastle for the GNR and a far better race.  Still fancy a cheeky wee weekend in Athens in November!!!!!!!
  • Canigg. Good man, yourself. Did you find somewhere decent to stay? (I stayed somewhere expensive because my wife was supposed to be coming with me - but it was terrible!) And I assume it is too soon to book flights yet? And I assume you will be gunning again for sub-3? ( Iseem to remember you were last time, despite your PB at the time being about 4 hours!)
  • 3:36:58 for me in London today .... 51 second slower than Monday. Those miles must still be in my legs. Saw Trin at the end, which was nice, and the weather was plenty warmer than Hopkinton.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    LArd and C33 Berlin for me too. Trin and Blue Womb total respect for doing both Ispent all day beating myself up for wimping out and deferring especially as i didnt need to with a GFA at Boston. Then again i felt the 5k   i did today.!
  • Dear BW and 2old. May I just say that you are Gods worthy of sharing the forum with Trin? I've done a single easy 4 miles since Monday and didn't even feel up to repeating that feat today, let alone running a marathon or a 5k. (I'm also not sure which I'd have least enjoyed attempting.) I am going to consle myself with the thought that I miust have tried harder at Boston than all of you did!

2old. Thanks for the info. The fact that you and Canny ar doing Berlin may just sway me (although I've also started thinking about Amsterdam). Have you done it before and, if so, do you have any accommodation tips?

• I booked Berlin pretty early.  I'm staying at a place cold the Agon at Alexanderplatz which is pretty basic (old east german block of flats).  It is the Ronseal woodstain of hotels.3h would be lovely but would take a silly good run.  PB is 3:06 now and was 3:12 at the time so not quite  as bad as 4h.  The 4h8 was an even worse day at the office in Rotterdam in the race that never was than I had in Boston!!!!!

Well done blue wombat that is a great effort.  I forgot you were going for the double too.

• Well done Trin & BW - a fantastic effort in London.

Good to see everyone else seems to be full steam ahead towards a fall marathon. I've got into Noo Yoirk on the back of  GFA half so it would be rude not to go. Canni I'll be in touch to check through your travel to the start plan that you had last year. Anything to avoid a 3.00am rise.

I feel remarkably fit after a week and have run a couple of times includsing a v quick 6 miler on Saturday. I've never felt so quickly recovered aftera  marathon - I put it down to Trin's suggestion of an ice bath after Boston. Am goinfg to have a couple of months back down at arond 30 mies per wek and race a coupe of fun races (Blaydon and the Coastal run) over the next two months or so..

• NotCat. I also have an automatic NY - since Boston even using the marathon time criterion! But the timing is bad and I would only be able to go for the briefest of visits - which would be an expensive weekend. Part of me wants to be persuaded that my thinking is wrong, though - ideally before the submission deadline. You wouldn't be able to tell me that you have found a deal giving you change from very few Scottish pounds by any chance...?
  • L'a - I will attempt to persuade you that your thinking is wrong. Here goes: "L'a - your thinking is wrong!" 

Hopefully that has worked! I haven't booked anything yet as Hotwire seem to be getting cheaper for rooms and I'm sure that there'll be Edinburgh flights for not much more than £300 or so. I'm envious that you've got a pic with the CITGO sign - What a beautiful sight that was as you entered Boston. I could see it outside  my hotel room with all its fluorescent beauty.