Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Lou-Lou - great news that you're (almost) up and running again. If you're struggling with the motivation, it's often worth telling yourself you'll just do 10 minutes, and usually by the time you've done that much, the endorphins kick in and you keep going.

RD - I know what you mean, it definitely feels a bit early to be doing much, although leafleting yesterday seems to have caused more of a problem than running: my hip is definitely twingy, and has been ibuprofened as it has to do some running later today with a client.

Must email stratford organisers for tshirt  order form.

• ooh, good, be, was worried you'd done yourself a damage on sunday image

are you leafleting marketing your pt business, raich?

my t shirt is huge, in my addledness i let the guy persuade me into buying a large (he looked at me and said, you'll need a large - nice!) and it hangs off me! 

• RD - leafleting works best for classes, although I've got a couple of clients from it. For PT I've found that the little local advertising directories (usually come out 4-6 times a year) are better. If you want to pick my brains on what seems to work, go ahead, although I've only been freelancing since last Autumn. You can email me if you like rather than us taking over the thread with Business Talk (as long as you aren't trying to find clients in the North Nuneaton/A5 area!).

I have a huge t-shirt from Nanowrimo (completely non-running thing but google it and have a go if you are a story-writing type person), which looks nice over a more fitted long sleeve T with combats. I think it makes me look young and trendy (hope I'm not delusional and doing the mutton-lamb thing image). I've emailed stratford people for tshirt ordering.

I think the hip is trochanteric bursitis. The advice on the American Running association is to ice it and ibuprofen it and cut back training i.e. it doesn't say to stop image

• you're far to young to do mutton/lamb!

i think nuneaton might be a bit of a trek from wiltshire!!! would be very interested to hear what has/hasn't worked for you and when i start i'll be able to share anything i've found works, will def email you, if you really don't mind image.

having bad day, woke up with premonition son is in the doo doo with his btec. went and woke him (at 7am) and yes, i was right, he's known for a couple of weeks and been putting off telling me. long story short, the diploma is def out of the equation but there is a possibility he can still get the certificate (worth 2 a levels) so at least the last 2 years aren't completely wasted. of course had to phone course leader to get full picture, he'd successfully buried his head so deep in the sand he wasn't even sure if he could still get the certificate. so bloody frustrating - he's a really intelligent  boy but just isn't motivated to do anything.

never mind, he promises he'll pull his finger out and get the last couple of units done.

sorry, just needed to get it out - oh is on the phone to work and no blinking use at all!

• RD  - if it's any consolation, my brother acquired considerable skill at dropping out, not quite finishing things etc. He's now definitely the big career success of the family, but I think motivation was an issue with all things academic, and the education bit of his CV is a bit empty. He's gone a more techy route, and once the first door was opened jobwise, there was no stopping him.
  • eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

RD been there done that with my son, Nothing seemed to motivate him at School/college except Sport, Then as soon as he started working for real and being paid for his efforts suddenly he's motivated in 4 years he hasnt taken a day off unless booked or on his death bed.He has been known to work 7 days a  week when private jobs come up at weekends.

He's still a pain but works his socks off, he just flown out to Croatia for a few days playing Rugby with the local club on tour.

Happy days just me and the wife at home this weekend.image iam going to try a 10 mile is run as prep for Halstead next week, if all goes to plan.

• Don't worry Bald Eagle, I've not run since Sunday either.  Planning a long walk over the weekend and short run possibly.

So next plans people?  I've decided to run Angelsey marathon and Newark half.  I know I said to Bald Eagle whilst we ran along the Greenway that I wasn't going to run another marathon but for what ever reason I now want to.

Should I see a doctor? 

• thank you, guys, you don't know how much that helps!

he's a good boy, kind and funny, but very shy, can't stand groups of people. hopefully he'll find his niche, gain some confidence and find some motivation.

thank you again image

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    Watford no its called the bug "Marathon bug" and it sounds like you have been bitten. 
  • Pete SherriPete Sherri ✭✭✭

BE1, Bognor Regis 10k looks good, but not available that Sunday due to it being MIL's birthday. So kind of under orders, if you see what I mean.

I'm looking at the 2nd bank holiday weekend for my next race, theres a few shortish races around then.

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

RD, my boy did ok at school then dropped out of A levels and a college course.  He was very quiet and a bit of a loner but now he's completed an apprenticeship, passed his driving test, earns more than his friends at lots of adults and he's only 21.  He's really come out of his shell since starting work and has now found beer and birds - we have video evidence of his beery antics!

Now I've forgotton everything else on the other page - doh

I was planning a very long hilly run on the south downs sunday but now my visitor from new zealand is arriving so it will be 10 miles off road locally followed by intensive interval training with the hoover and a duster.

I'd like to do another marathon within a month or so, cant make Halstead as I've got a race locally so if anyone knows of some in the south-east or up to an hours drive away let me know please.

• i didn't know he was a keen ornithologist, sl image

no, seriously, that is good to know. it's hard not to worry what's going to become of them. 

• sunluvva:

isle of wight 1/6
    south downs 14/6
    fairlands valley herts 20/7
    seaford mara east sussex, 31/8

• Pete SherriPete Sherri ✭✭✭

I'm doing South Downs on the 14/6, Sunluvva

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Ta for those RD, just entered the south downs so shall try to get to meet pete this time!  The route looks gawjus though I did get a bit nervous when I saw a town called compton.  The hills here are just as steep and there are more of them image.

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    RD do mums ever stop worrying? Kim was up  till 3 this morning making sure that Andrew had everything and that he got away o.k for his Rugby tour he's almost 23 for heavens sake.
  • WW - I've got the bug too. And I'm doing the Newark half too.

Current plans: Stathern 10K 22nd June, Newark 1/2M 10th Aug, Nottm full 14th Sept then...? Would like to fit in another marathon later in the year, but would like a little bit more experience before I brave Beachy Head. Might do Seaford next year (bit close to Nottingham this year) - I used to live there and it's a pretty area, if a little hilly.  What do the more experienced marathoners recommend as races to do? Stuff around the midlands is most practical.

Looking at the various threads as to how to knock shedloads off your mara time and reading posts from people who have done that, wondering whether I can get a GFA FLM place before I'm 40 (Nov 2010). I think it's nice to have lots of goals, and that means knocking over an hour off my time, but with less heat, less going too fast at the beginning, 0 blister stops instead of 3, shift a half stone or so, and put in some serious training (the most significant factor listed last!), who knows??? I thought the Alex Vero feature in RW the other month was fascinating, it just makes you wonder what you're capable of. And I can try and find out and justify it as research for work!

Talking of being 40, a PT client today said she'd thought I was in my late 20s! She is my favourite person image 

• sure she wasn't just after a discount, raich image

sl, eastham and i are all doing the hastings mara on the 14th december - a fun prechristmas one. i won't be going for a time (doing that at abingdon, hoping to get 4:10) just for fun and to keep the fitness up in the run up to christmas - always a time other things can get in the way if you're not careful. why don't you come down for that, i'm having to stay over, but thought it would be a nice pre christmas break. we could have a thread reunion image

i reckon you've got a good chance of gfa, raich - go for it!

been for a cycle with son - nearly killed me, i was on daughter's bike cos he ahd to borrow mine andit's way to small, my poor back! and the tyres were flat so pedalling was hard work! 

• Managed to have a proper look through all RichK photos now - great to put names to faces of people I missed at the start/finish. RichK- spooky we were both posting at the same time!

RD - my tshirt is large too, but I thought it might be a good extra layer on cold winter morning runs - might casually stroll round the gym in it too

SL -  I agree re the medal - seem to remember reading last years was c***, so was pleasantly surprised at how heavy it was and the thought which had gone into the design. I have decided to mount mine in a duo photo frame from Woolies with a photo - a special memento of a day I will never forget, from the acheivement to meeting and sharing the experience with everyone on here.image

I am still feeling the effects - legs feel fine I just am so tired and lethargic Its early days re plans for furfther races - I do feel I would like to do another marathon, just not this year.  Really enjoy halfs - may well do Robin Hood as that was my first half and with the marathon training should be able to try for a PBimage

• a special memento of a day I will never forget, from the acheivement to meeting and sharing the experience with everyone on here.

lump to the throat time - lovely thing to write, ljb image

• LJB - do Robin Hood, cos then I can say hello to you, which I didn't manage on Sunday.

After an afternoon spent icing/ibuprofening and 'buzzing' my hip (OH has strange contraption from Boots that is supposed to aid healing by increasing blood flow), this evening's client has just cancelled. Shall I do a little run? Or shall I save it for another day? It's a pleasant evening here, seems a shame to waste it, and the advice was to cut down running, not stop it...

It has been a special experience being on this thread: I'm sure that's why I haven't got the 'post marathon blues' that I've heard about. It's great to be on here comparing recovery experiences, and sharing plans

• just back from doing 6 mile and legs are ok,
  • i'd say stay in, raich, but i'm a cautious bunny image

well done, be!! 

• RD - did 3 miles. Doesn't feel any worse for it, but it flared up after leafleting, not after running. The speed is coming back, which is nice. Looks like this Sunday will be rainy for my 'long' run, if 8 miles counts as such a thing, although, as we now know, rain on weather forecasts is meaningless.

A little edit - just mapmyrunned thinking I'd done 10 minute miling and it's about 9 minute. Not sure whether this is good (marathon has made me faster) or bad (completely inept at gauging pace). I think I need one of those Garmin thingies.

• Raich Garmin thingies are great but you can get just a teeny bit obsessive with them - I went out today without mine so as not to keep checking! And even with one I'm rubbish at gauging and sticking to pace.

My knee is definately not very happy so I think I'm going to take a week off running to try and sort it out - its an ITB thing so resting, iceing, stretching and spending a fortune on massages is probably the answer. Very annoying as I really enjoyed this mornings run, but I've been here before and if I can sort it now hopefully I wont need to take the whole summer off. And there's always the swimming pool.......

• I'll go for a run sunday I think - Tarmac Runner , sent me an entry form for the Cobra Classic , a 14K XC next sunday , which is great , I was going to do the Hillwest School 10K XC that day but I've done it several times.

Raich - are you the lady I was talking to about Kleeneze?
  • Mike - we did have a Kleeneze type chat. OH considered it at one point. He's a pilot, but often finds he's at home on standby, and looks for other things he can do during that time. He used to be a recruitment consultant, so every so often that starts again, then he gets a run of flying and it stops. Not sure how much use he would be to Kleeneze with somewhat erratic work patterns, and he has just shelled out for some conqueror paper and envelopes, suggesting another recruitment surge is imminent. But maybe you could persuade him that Kleeneze is the way to go.

<thinks, hopefully: Maybe OH would like to do some housework to test the products out>  

• W.W was you with me when the 62 year old woman went past and said i did London 2weeks ago and keep on running,well done to that woman

• Just got my tshirt order form - can anyone remember what the difference between a 'basic' and a white/blue and grey/blue tshirt is? White/blue and grey/blue £2 more, but possibly nicer?