Options

Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Options
    LJB - Marty's put it clearer than I did (I've looked at my post and realised it was a bit cryptic - sorry). There are lots of people who do the FLM in 6 or 7 hours, which would mean they took longer than 2:30hrs to get to the 12 mile point cut-off for Stratford. Anybody slower than that at Stratford would have been switched to doing the half.
  • Options
    Went to running club on Thursday did 5 miles, could feel it in my legs, went out yesterday 9 miles felt fine .... ready for half at Hinckley on Sunday now.
    By the way any of you guys tried to get onto the Dublin marathon website, I've tried but can't get onto it?!
  • Options

Marty - sub 45 is a definite aim which should be achievable.

If I were to follow a 10k programme I would hope to go a bit lower than that but as I am more likely to embark on another marathon training programme shortly (probably for Amsterdam in October) I will have to hope I am still on the upward curve of improvement and just hit 45 as an added bonus of marathon training!

• Options

LJB, reckon you've hit the nail on the head, quite sure that big city marathon a lot easier due to spectator support - reading what you guys went thru last Sunday I'm not sure I could've done it ... I'm in for a shock if I do another marathon sometime, cos all those folks cheering was the only thing that kept me going from about 18 miles on. 

Marty - I really fancy Edinburgh, even if it is the boo-hiss city if you're from (near) Glasgow image Several months ago I tried to talk OH into us going there this year for me to do it, but there was no entertaining the idea.  Something about it being completely impractical as we live in Cardiff and are due to be in Cornwall the day after Edinburgh marathon image hopefully next year.  Have also been advised it's a really attractive time lag for a double if one does succeed in bagging a place for London.  Live in hope....

Just back from a weekend in the Peak District.  Slightly bizarre concept for an outdoorsy like me to go all the way to the PD and spend it indoors with a bunch of folks more excited by food/booze/chat/ than getting out into the fresh air and walking, but there you go.  Three hours in Meadowhall with no money and a bunch of woman yesterday morning was my low point image  I did get out for a hilly (ooh!) 6 miler in the evening, took me forever as I got ever so slightly incredibly lost in a dodgy housing estate in Sheffield, didn't dare ask anyone for directions, and my mapmyrun had disintegrated in my pocket.  Ho hum.

• Options

Did my regular 6 mile route for the first time since Stratford today. Sometimes I push it for a good time, but today I decided to take it easy - and ended up about a minute quicker than I've done it before, and on a very sunny, warm, humid afternoon too (remind anyone of a recent race?), and probably while a bit dehydrated. Definitely feeling stronger than I used to.

HT - I like food, booze and chat while walking in the fresh air image. Shopping with no dosh = horrid, particularly in malls where there are no charity shops (I am the queen of chazzing).

• Options

Hi Guys,Sounds as though you have all had great runs since Stratford and got over the harsh conditions.

I have just got back from doing the Luxembourg marathon on Saturday evening (started at 6pm) felt ok until 22k and then had severe stomach cramps, had to find a toilet desperately(i did) and then struggled around the other 20k, and of course frightened to take on any gels etc incase my stomach could not take it. The temperature at the start was 23C and very humid. A very twisting course which i found very hot and very hilly, made Stratford seem not to bad really. Happy to have got  number 43 in the bag in a time of 5.32.   17 mins slower than Stratford.

Eastham75, Good luck next week at Halstead, and be careful if it's another hot one.

Mrs TB is running the South downs in the relay, i will be there in a supporting role, so good luck to all that run it.

• Options

TB - I cant even think about doing another marathon this year - let alone a week after Stratford.image

Sounds like a really tough race at Luxembourg - how on earth you kept going after 22k is a fantastic testament to PMA - (I would have felt lost without my gels image- )  Great achievement.

• Options

morning all!

just a quickie, garage conversion to paint (boo hiss) but at least the sun is shining!

well done on getting round luxemborg, tb, sounds like a nightmare.

back to running club tonight, and my 10k schedule begins as well, hopefully i'll feel like a runner again soon, and hopefully thigh will agree!

yes, ljb, that's exactly what i meant, the halfway cut off would have put off a lot of runners concerned they wouldn't make it meaning the race would have ahd a higher percentage of faster runners than other marathons without a cut off.

right, painting... 

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Tonka sounds like you had to drag yourself around well done for that, thanks for the thought for Halstead, yes it sounds like another 22c not looking forward to the heat at all, still at least i wont need to worry about a holiday this year at this rate i will already have a fantastic tanimage

Sherpa that 3 Forts sounds a toughy is it harder than Beachy? Well done on finishing

Good luck with the painting RD,

Will go out in an hour or so for a steady 6 miler around the Isle of dogs doubt there will be many about  in this sun.

Congratulations to all the PBers over the weekend

• Options

richard,  excellent pb!! you're flying! you should come and do abingdon - it's supposed to be good for a pb, you'll get a fantastic time!

also, was looking at richk's photos (again, i love them!) and when i clicked on flanker's photo (second time on the greenway next to mine) i saw you!! i'm sure it is - check it out image

• Options

tonka boy do you work on the post ?

p.s well done on the marathon

• Options
    eastham,the 3 forts is a hard one,we do our training up there,i would say it is harder than beach head,
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    Bald eagle  Good, glad to here it, ive entered Beachy this year in moment of madness, will see how i get on and try 3 Forts next year.
  • Options
    there are some big hills on beachy head
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    RD just had another look myself, Rick could you add them to the Facebook sire?
  • Options
    can someone let me know the link to these photos?
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

My Mara training for Hastings starts on the 25th of August and Beachy is the same days as a planned 17 LSR so will use Beachy as a tough training run.

Ricks photos bring it all back, they are doing the same for Halstead before and during so that we can all put faces to names.

• Options
    Hi E75 .I'm just checking beachy out  also ( 3 Forts was fun). May do the same regarding training runs and  Hastings .I'm definately doing tougher off road LSR in order to get that sub 4!!  There is also the Jog shop 20 around Oct time too.......SS goes off to check datesimage
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    Sherpa let me have the details of the Jog sHOP 20 i may be interested.
  • Options

Hi all,Thanx for congrats for Luxembourg, at 30k i could have pulled out but so many decided to not do the FM due to the heat and because everyone was able decide at 17.8k alot of the FM people changed and did the HM. When i had to say goodbye to Mrs TB i felt ok, but that did last for to long.

Eastham75, hope to catch up with you at Beachy Head and any others that are doing it, do not know which was harder BH or 3forts, i had a simular time for both (very slow)

Bald eagle 1, I used to be a postman in Crawley, but have not been for 20 years, you may know Deads from the forums?

Think Jogshop is Oct 12th think i can do it, but if i cannot then it is the 19th as we are in Palma, Majorca doing their FM and HM.

• Options

Just checked runners world website and Jog Shop is October 12th and only £8 to enter in advance, a bargain i think.

• Options
    Tonka Boy do you no Shaun Murphy from Storrington,
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

tonka boy - superb effort getting round in those conditions. Bet the atmosphere was amzing.

Just got back from first club session since mara. It felt ok. We did 600m then 300m efforts with recovery in between. It was a hot evening which brought back so many fond memeories of two weeks previous...

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Well done Tonka, great achievement.

I've not run since last tuesday as I've got a visitor so have been doing the touristy bit with her.  I will have to go to club tonight, I've got a hilly 7 mile race sunday so need to get the legs moving a bit before then.  I was hoping to do the 3 forts sunday but thats when she arrived, it wasn't really unexpected its just I thought she was coming this week.

When is Beachy Head, I'm doing the SDM, Downlands 30M challenge in July and the JWUltra 27th sept, (well thats the plan, not done em yet) then hastings in december, it makes sense to keep the mileage up and not let it drop inbetween.  Sounds like I wont be seeing much of the family for the rest of this year image.

I can't believe it was over a week ago, it seems ages all ready and my legs seem totally recovered, maybe the extra rest was worth it.

• Options

Sunluvva, Beachy Head is Saturday 25th October.You sound as though you have a busy schedule planned, wish you all the best in all that you plan to doimage

Bald Eagle 1, If Shaun is married to a Jackie, then i know him but only as Jackie is  fittleworth flyer, but not through being a postman.

I feel fine now after Saturday's marathon, even that feels a long time ago, shakespeare feels as though it was months ago. Legs and aches are all gone and tummy feels as though it is back to normal.

• Options

Pleased to see you're all still nattering away, and getting back into running.

Eastham, I'll try to add my photos to the F'book Event on Saturday. As you know there are a few but seeing as you've all said such nice things about them it seems the least I can do image
  • Options

morning all!

getting back into the whole exercise thing image

club on tuesday, it was time trial - 5k. was 10seconds outside my pb and it hurt!! didn't realise it at the time but av hr was 169 - lucky i didn't keel over. i think i must still be recovering from the mara - and i've been doing a bit of reading up and i think i may have overtapered through not feeling well and other things getting in the way. will try to make sure that doesn't happen at abingdon.

also not helped by heat (we all remember that!) and some house boat people making us walk past them because otherwise we'd spook their 3 dogs who'd then bite us but for some reason wouldn't put the dogs on leads or in the boat?!

takes all sorts...

then yesterday i did a 20mile cycle in the morning and a 90min walk in the afternoon.

today it's a run with one of the girls from club at 4:30 - it's going to be hot! will take water and take it easy. 

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    RD can you exlain the over taper
  • Options

basically, i pulled back too much. i missed a couple of my runs (only 3 a week anyway) through not feeling well and the cross training fell by the wayside completely. so i think i pulled back enough to lose a bit of condition/fitness whatever you want to call it, then add that to a week off after to recover and it's all added up a bit.

it's not an exact science tho, lots of differing views on tapering and how much is right.

but next time i want to try and stick to the schedule and keep the crosstraining going.