Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• T Boy it is shawn and jackie,i work with him
  • Today I did the first midweek longer run from my schedule: 8 miles. At 6 miles I went completely a*se over t*t. I have cuts and grazes all over the place (face, shoulder, ribs, knees, hands - fortunately there was an elderly chap in his garden just by the bit I went flying, and he let me into his house to clean my yucky hands and knees up) and ended up in A&E having grit picked out of the cuts but worst of all I have holes in my lovely new techie tee image which I bought yesterday and was wearing for the first time. It's a TK Maxx bargain so could be worse, but I was planning on wearing it for PT sessions and it'll look too scruffy now. It's in the washing machine at the mo, and went in looking like I'd played several rugby matches in the rain, so fingers crossed the muck comes out. The same one is on sporty shop websites for twice the price (it's nike, white with 'run' written on it). Still, I shall still have it for my runs-without-clients: it is the most comfy tee I've ever worn for running and was lovely and cool in the sunshine.
  • ((raich)) hope your on the mend soon .
  • Raich, Hope you feel better soon, it's a big shock falling A over ,Timage i did it once on the way to a friends when i got there he thought i had been beaten up. Nice to know that a member of the public was will ing to help out. Take care.image
  • Raich - that's awful.  And you're tall - always feels like further to fall when you're tall.  Nothing broken or twisted though?

I'm trying to increase my speed a bit so I've been out for lots of shorter, slightly speedier runs this week.  I go out around 9pm when it's a bit cooler and youngest son is in bed.  Love summer and lighter evenings.  I don't get home from work until 7 and in the winter I can never get motivated to go out later for a run but I have more energy in the summer some how.

• (((raich and raich's tee))) hope you mend soon!

went for my run - it hurt and my heart rate was high again. if i hadn't been with a friend i think i'd have gone home!

really hot too - 9 will be much nicer sally anne! 

rest day tomorrow then a 10k race on saturday. i'm going to stick my garmin in my pocket and run on perceived effort.

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the 10k RD hope it went well,

Raiche hope your on the mend soon,

LTSA thats my plan after Halstead iam going to try some 5k training and Hill work ready for Beachyhead.

Halstead marathon in the morning and looking like another hotty,carboloading and resting today and taking on fluid.

• EASTHAM ,good luck in the morning,

just did brighton and hove time trail today,it is a 5k race and it is free to enter,i did 24min 7sec and P.B b y more than 52sec,fill good now,bognor 10k next week and then i may see you in London for the 10k,have you got your race pack for London yet

• I seem to be very slow to get back to normal going by the number of you that are already doing races/ training regularly again.

Have been on treadie a couple of times,  but first road - well actually canal -  run today since the big day - only 3 miles and took it easy so took 36 mins. Still I have no aches, pains or anything else so I am going to keep increasing mileage very slowly and hopefully be ready and at my peak for my first race - 10k on 8th June. Looking to get a PB - need to beat 57.03 so will certainly have to get up from 12 min miles!

After saying I would NEVERimage do the Strattie mara again I am actually contemplating facing that demon Greenway next year if I dont get in London - to get under 5 hours!  I do like a challenge and dont want the Greenway to beat me a 2nd time and will be prepared for any weather image

• hope halstead went well, eastham! image

nice running, be! i'm doing london, too, have got my race pack, i'm 3825 and red. we're not sure if the colour is to do with the 3 waves we go off in but i only know of red and blue so far.

i'm beginning to feel the need to look the greenway in the eye again, ljb! we will not be beaten! image

did keevil 10k yesterday - it was HOT! managed to get under 55mins for the first time though which was pleasing. but it was hard work in the last mile. and my pace was still slower than i did a half in in march!

more sunshine today, unbelievable! 

• runner duck,the greenway is a must one day,look forward to seeing you in London some where,loli am not going for a time,just a easy run and to help some one around
  • same for me for london, be, am going with my cousin and she's pretty new to running. we don't know whether we'll be in the same 'wave' tho. hopefully it'll be chaotic enough for one of us to sneak into the other's starting pen!

• It's a packed race day today! no one should not have a nearby race to enter if they can today. I did the Cobra Classic in Halesowen a 14K suburban witha bit of XC - it was a kileer with steep hills through housing estates with the tarmac and cars/buildings reflecting the heat and sun. massive steep hill to finish with folks collapsed and needing attention!

Cracking good run for me with a hangover at 1:18. Kinsbury 10K on Tuesday night by the Blefry golf club, Cure Luekemia 10K in Sutton Park next week .

great weather brilliant running!
  • Healing nicely, thanks for the sympathy everyone image. Went to another TK Maxx and found another special offer Tee, the same but smaller size, but had bought the first baggy, so now I have a holey (repaired, but still looking scarred) one for my training and a not holey one for training with clients. Also found a nice pair of running shorts, and felt I deserved cheering up...must not fall over again because my credit card and TK Maxx Activewear section are a lethal combinationimage.

LJB - my marathon recovery seems to be a bit up and down - some days I feel a lot stronger and others I seem a bit slow, although I don't think the heat helps. Got up early today and did 12 miles before the heatwave kicked in, but felt like I'd done 20 miles afterwards, and had a 2 hour nap - possibly a case of too much too soon.

Eastham - how was Halstead? I'm amazed anyone can manage marathons with only 2 weeks between.

• Well done on your time, Mike (you can see how long it takes for me to write a post by the fact you were missed off the previous one). So is the booze-loading strategy one you'd recommend?image
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

I did run the tewkesbury half today but boy was it hot. Started off ok, got to halfway and then slowed it down due to heat. Probably could have run it a bit faster but legs started to ache plus it was REALLY hot. Got into self preservation mode instead of racing. I actually have debated whether today was harder then the marathon - conclusion, probably not but it was very close second.

Not really the day to run a half, let alone a full mara. Hope Eastham survives in one piece. We saw a few ambulances rushing off at the finish so hope everyone was ok, probably dehydration. In the end i was pleased with a 1.34. My next few races are 10k's so hopefully the strength will be in my legs for those.

Was sorry to hear about your mishap raich but these thinbgs happen. At least you didn't have any broken bones which would have stopped you working eh??

Glad everyones doing grand with their racing. Keep it up everyone.

• I went to a kleeneze party thing last night and drank more than I expected - got carried away image So I felt quite under the weather but able to run - now I feel superb . That boiling hot race round the hilly streets pushed me right out.

I had decided on this race then saw the tewksebury half - but there was no entry on the day . it would have been too much to drive all the way down there.

Looking forward to the New Forest marathon in September - it'll be here soon enough!
  • i'm doing the new forest half as well mike image

have been reading about the effects of hot weather on exercise and apparently some of the blood the body would normally divert to the leg muscle for running has to be used in the skin for cooling so your heart has to work harder to get the required oxygen to the leg muscles hence higher heart rate and aching legs.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    rd - thanks for an amazing description. That would explain why you have to work harder in the heat to cover the same distance. Thank you o sageimage
  • ah ha, RD, that'll explain why I've felt so dreadful all afternoon, after a "mere" 5k race in (hilly) Barry this morning.  Gosh it was hard.

Twas arranged by the charity I did the FLM for, Ty Hafan, and at the end, 4-5 of us got to gather with all the 5k winners (read: fit, healthy, athletic) .. they got plaques for their achievements, and we FLM fundraisers got a sort of engraved glass cube thingie with "Ty Hafan London Marathon 2008" on.  Oh and a handshake and cuddle from Jamie Baulch, so that kinda made my day.  Not as much as if it had been his Atlanta teammate Roger Black mind image 

• wow, ht, what a day!! you're not really feeling dreadful, just faint from all the excitement image

wish my kids agreed with you, marty!

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone, i found Halstead harder than Stratford, Hotter and far more hills, really struggled on the 2nd lap again and finished in 4.39.54, it afantasic marathon so well organized and the Stewards are fantastic.

also the runners are very friendly met a few in the pub afterwards again, its getting to be a habbit

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Blinding result Eastham, especially in this heat.  imageimageimageWell done everyone else too on your races or runs.  I didn't get to my 7 mile race today as I sucumbed to a 12 hour pub crawl in the sun yesterday and didn't get up till midday image.

Need to climb back on my wagon now and get in shape for the South Downs Relay on the 8th june and the South Downs Mara.

Well done HT, that sounds like a great day image, its nice that the charity has thought about you after the main event and not just taken the money and dissappeared. 

Hope your cuts and bruises are feeling better Raich, sound like the credit card took a bigger bashing than you did!  I'm always falling over when I'm running, the only scars I've got and the only broken bone I've had are all from running.  Who said its supposed to be healthy and good for you image.   I'm particularly prone to falling over in mud and regularly arrive home looking like stig of the dump.

• Congrats Eastham image.Fantastic result in that heat . A cooler marathon will feel so much easier now ....
  • eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Many Thanks everyone, want  Coll and Flat marathon now,

but really going to try to focus on 5k and 10k for a month or so now.

Beachy is next for me.

• well done, eastham - a great time with hills and heat. it must have been murder!!

• Fantastic effort Eastham - dont know how you coped with that heat today.

Must admit I was quite happy pottering in my garden, doing my bedding plants and sunbathing thinking thank god I am not running today. Scarred for life by the Greenway heat and today was even hotter!

RD - I too appreciate your scientific explanation which would suggest no matter how prepared you are with suncream, hat and damp scarf round your neck you will always be affected by heat.

• i think the answer is to keep running in the heat, your body gets better adapted. but you'd probably only want to do that if you were off to race somewhere hot. or you wanted to be sure you didn't spoil a race here if it was hot.

i'm going out for a little 5 miler with oh in a mo image

• off to club soon

how's everyone else doing image