Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Hi RDimage

First night back at the running club yesterday -  after gently easing myself back in doing 12 min miles on treadmill at gym a couple of times, fell into trap(which I knew I would) of keeping up with others and ended up running 9.41 min/miles. Only did 4.2 miles - but pleased that legs are ok today nonetheless.

A fellow runner at the club did the Tewkesbuy half on Sunday - at the 9 mile water station the water had run out image. Luckily for her she spotted a spectator who helped her out.  Not very good planning given that there was plenty at the finish which was the next opportunity. She said the paramedics were kept very busy.

Was worrying about getting back to faster pace for shorter distance - praps I neednt have worried!image 

• sounds like you did brilliantly, ljb, well done!

running out of water in this weather is not funny, in fact positively dangerous, hope everyone was okay.

out with running club tonight - really enjoyed being back. we did a very hilly off road run of 7 miles at about 11:25 pace, so pretty good going. was reassured by others that  i'm a lot faster than i used to be and keep up  much better, so that was good. oh did really well considering he's hardly run in the last few weeks and we went out yesterday and he's not used to back to back running days. makes you sick really image

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Well done ladies, glad to here you are both back to training,

I went out at lunchtime for my usual 4 miler, took it very slowly and quite enjoyed it.

have decided to ender the southend 1/2 on the 8th June and iam still toying with the idea of Abingdon, its just that iam doing Beachy and Hastings have to sort aout Hotels and have decided to renew my Season Ticket at the Hammers it all gets a bit costly.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Brilliant time eastham last sunday considering the weather.

I did the tewkesbury half. Have to say it was the worst race i have ever done in terms of organisation. The stratford marathon put it to shame. As LJB said water ran out but that was only the tip of the iceburg. I got to half way on target but found myself working too hard to keep at that pace so decided to cool it for the second half and make it to the finish in one piece. There are always other races. People kept going by me in the second half and it felt llike i was going at a snails pace (obviously i wasn't but thats what it felt like). So when i saw the results pleasantly surprised with a 1.33.46 and 77th place. I didn't run as bad as i thought....

RD - glad you had good session with club. See that marathon training does pay off so keep it up. Well done.

• but you'll get a good time at abingdon eastham and your oh will love the shopping in oxford (she says, casting temptation in his path)

hi marty - excellent time, shame about the organization.

i seem to have developed a gammy leg, waiting for masseur to call back, try and nip it in the bud early. ho hum, at least it didn't happen before the marathon.

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

How far is Abingdon from Oxford?

i was toying with the idea of just doing this as a one day special drive up in the morning and home after Race/lunch, leave Mrs EH at home for this one.

• about 5 miles, 10 minutes by car. some nice hotels and restaurants in oxford. i'm sure mrs eh would love it if you decided to make a trip of it.
  • SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Shame on you RD, grooming eastham for abingdon image What've done to your leg??

Wow Marty, 1:33 for a 1/2m, I can only dream of times like those.

Well done LJB - and what d'ya mean only 4.2 miles, thats still a blooming long way.   I reckon if you concentrated on some speedwork you could soon be running sub 10mm regularly.

Back to running club last night, just under 6 miles but most of it steep uphill, my legs protested and didn't want to work but I got there in the end.  I'm sure it would be easier if I could give up the fags but its proving so so hard,  I've gotta do it, the south downs are even hillier and I've got loads of training to do on them before the downlands 30.

• dunno image

have you tried those cigarette thingies that you put stuff in, worked for a friend of mine - and she didn't have to go outside for a ciggie when we were having coffee image

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    Not tried those yet, they look  daft but no dafter than sticking a fag in your mouth and setting light to it.image
  • anything is worth a try, it's obviously getting you down not being able to stop. and you need the extra puff for them thar hills image
  • Hi Sunluvva - yes you are right - its just 4.2 seems paltry after all the mara mileage!
    Coincidentally did speedwork session at club last night - never done anything like that before - ache in new places, knees and feet but legs seem ok. Can already see how this may improve 10k, half speeds so will keep it up.
    My dad was a 60 a day about 15 yrs ago - had a collapsed lung which meant he had to try and give up. Tried everything - in the end acupuncture did it for him - even though he was an old cynic.

RD - its a real downer when you get an injury(drives me mad!) - still am sure you will get it sorted. I know everyone says be patient - but its true (even though I am the most impatient person in the world!)

I have entered my first race post mara - the Great Eastern Half in October. Majority good feedback on RW events - some people didnt like the route as it took you through lots of housing estates - but its flat and loads of support along the whole route due to housing estates - I need a fix of support after the 2nd half of Strattie!
  • eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

LJB1 sometimes i like running through housing estates at least there are people around to give abit of encouragement, or chuck a tin ayouimage

RD just take it easy dont make a little injury worse and you will be fine.

SL sorry i cannot offer any advise on the smoking as ive never smoked, everyone else in my family did though i was  always too tight. 

• thanks guys. decided to take a week off so went for a cycle with a friend this morning - and the rain held off, phew! got a pilates course all weekend so wouldn't have been able to run anyway. although i might have a sneaky go in the gym while we're there if i can.

well done on the speed session, ljb, it really does work. i like housing estates because of the support. i loved the little old lady in her chair at the shakespeare, just after the drinks station and before the bedding plants for sale. she was there both times, really cheered me up second time round that she was still there. 

• RD - I remember the lady you mean. I wonder whether the supporters in their gardens realise how much benefit we get from them egging us on?

SL - I'm another non-smoker so can't offer any tips. An ex took some medication to help, can't remember what it was called. Certainly helped with him getting rid of the fags, but the side effects - strange dreams and stuff - weren't particularly pleasant. Talked to someone the other day who's still smoking despite several strokes: I can't imagine carrying on in that situation, but I suppose I just haven't experienced something that addictive. Can you start a 'giving up fags' thread and get other people on the forum to join you, or has that already been done?

• Pete SherriPete Sherri ✭✭✭

Hi there , haven't been around for a while.

Getting back into my running, as South Downs is under a month away now. Reckon I'll get into some serious stuff next week.

Good job I've got my running as GF dumped me at the start of this week. Oh well, even more time for races now image

SL, at one time I was just about the only member of my family who wasn't a smoker, now the've all given up. Couldn't tell you how though, just through will power basically.

Got a great weekend coming up. It sour annual pub of the year tour tomorrow, by minibus! All serious stuff you know, theres even a questionairre to fill in on each pub! My sort of research I think!

• (((pete))) hope you're okay. sounds like you've got a great weekend to take your mind off it anyway - enjoy image

i hope they do - i told the old lady it was lovely that she was still there, and that it was much appreciated. she looked a bit startled at the time but hopefully she liked what i said once it had sunk in! 

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

One thing i always try to remeber is to thank anyone who cheersme on, had sometimes but at thevery least helps spur me on more.

That old lady was superb

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Raich - I've had that medication, it made me really ill and its linked to depression too, lots of bad stuff about it but for some it works really well.  I've tried most things and there have been loads of threads on the forums too.  Its something I've gotta do myself, I'll get there eventually.

I remember that old lady too, I had a chat with her both times round, I asked her to get the kettle on for when I came round again.  I always say thankyou to everyone out there supporting, if I can't manage chatting I'll wave back, it seems to make them cheer even louder.

• I remember the old lady too, in fact I keep remembering od bits from the marathon, its a bit like flashbacks from drunken weekends. Perhaps eventually I'll be able to put the whole story together.  

Been offline as house move has also needed phone and internet provider change - all at great cost as BT have a nice trick regarding contracts that I could rant about for hours image.

Havent really run much, or really wanted to. Did a fastish 4.5 with the club last night which I enjoyed but then they say a day for every mile recovery so i guess now is the time to start feeling better.

Raich, hope you are better after your fall - have done it myself and know it makes you go all shakey for a bit. 

I have a bit of a dilema - its the local half on the bank holiday weekend, I have a place but dont know whether to run. I've only done 30 min runs since Shakespeare, and only half a dozen of those. Normally I would just go and amble the race, but as its the local one its a bit of a tradition to try for a good time. D'you think I will still have the fitness to run a half - never mind the time - as I've done so little in the last 3 weeks, or should I just give the place to some else and be a marshall for the day?  

• Pete SherriPete Sherri ✭✭✭

Hi RD, I'm not too bad, just part of life isn't it?

I remember the old lady. I think the 2nd time I saw her I put a surprised look on my face, and asked her if she'd finished (the race) already!

She found that quite funny.

Myrtle, i have a similer dilemma as I'm due to run a 10k on Sunday. I would have no problems running the distance, in fact I'm up for a PB. But, its a reasonble drive, it starts 8.30am and I've got a beery day now tomorrow anyway.

I coming round to just doing an hour run round the woods here. OK the race cost £10, but I'd probably spend more than that in petrol getting there. So all I'm missing out on is a medal and a timed run on a measured course.

I think I'll have a lie in, and head for the woods with my hangover, lol!

• lol pete - bet that lady had a lovely day - and didn't have to run 26.2 miles either!

wearing my name worked well, i think people like to have someone to cheer at, i sense they sometimes feel a bit silly just cheering in general. i always wave at children - sometimes they look a bit scared! 

myrtle, go for it, it might get your mojo back image

• Hi Myrtle - know what you mean about flashbacks - what am glad about is its the nice bits that pop into my head. Last night we went out and my OH told me on the way home he had proudly told someone his wife his a 'marathoner' - image(emotional not sad!)

Hi Pete - I'd say forget the 10k and enjoy the beery day - it'll do you good in the current climate. Plenty of time to do 10k's - and if you go and miss your PB due to a hangover you will regret it! A minibus, your mates and plenty of booze - is there really a choiceimage

• I'm really wanting to get back out there and turn out some big miles at the moment. I did a race last sunday -14K Cobra Classic- it was boiling hot and mainly around hilly suburban streets, with a final huge hill to a local landmark. A real killer in the heat but enjoyable. I was due to do a 10K race on Tuesday but my daughter fell of a rope swing and broke her wrist! so instead of racing I sat in casualty half the night.

This sunday there is the Cure Leaukemia 10K in Sutton park - a big race , not cheap but worthwhile. Over Whit week I'm on holiday in the new forest so I'm looking forward to running 2+ hours a few times round there and along the sefront on the Solent. The New Forest Marathon is in September - I may just enter to make sure I have a place , I'd better get those 3+ hour runs going again!
  • Two P.B in one week,just back from doing Bognor 10k and P.B by 29sec,good day for a run,London 10k next week,see you all there if you are running it,

• well done be!!! you're flying!!!

hopefully see you in london, tho' it's going to be quite a crowd, i think!!

hope your daughter is ok, mike. running in the new forest sounds lovely, i'm hoping to do the half in september - it'll be a good lsr for the abingdon mara.

that bought a tear to my eye, too, ljb!

hope you've recovered from your weekend, pete! 

been on the bench all week with a poorly calf, going to go to club tonight and see how it is. fingers crossed... 

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    No running for me Since Friday, we have looked after our Grandson all weekend its the first time since March that we have been allowed to have access by his mum,(complicated) still had a wonderful weekend and an extra day off yesterday, till my wife's Elbow just balloned up and we spent the night at Chelmsford A&E, all sorted now she has an infection in the joint so pain killers anti inflamatory tablets and antibiotics should do the trick, got home at 3am and up for work at 6am drove to work to start at 8am now about to go down to my car for a nap.
  • ((((mrs e)))) sounds painful.

you must be shattered, eastham - hope you set your alarm or you could snooze the afternoon away!

• how is mrs eastham today?

just found out i need varifocals - feeling very old image

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Mrs EH is on the mend her Elbo is not as Elephant like but it is still swollen and a lot of bruising has come out but is going back to work today so must be feeling better.

RD you will be fine they will give you that School headmistress look image off for cold shower.