Serpentine New Year's Day 10K

Comments

• DMOH - It was a railway signal failure west of Slough. I got to the start as runners were assembling - they started as I was locking up my cycle. What changing and packing the saddle bag I ended up with leftovers. I started 4 minutes late and apart from the first xroad where I had to guess everything else went alright.

I'd only been to Regents Pk once, the Rainforest 10 held over the other side of the Pk, so didn't know the area or the hub logistics etc and getting there late just didn't have time to scout it out. That's life.  I'm in 1 more of the winter series and all the summer series so I should be able to get it right sooner or later - Network Rail allowing of course!!

Never mind me though, awards are due to the marshalls who stood out in that awful weather and stayed chipper. On timing, my watch did me fine and looking at the Chasers results their timing was pretty good. Sorry post is so long.

• Ah don't worry about the length of your post - mine are usually longer image

I wont be marshalling any more winter races (as my other half is running in them so I get the childcare!) but I'll be at most of summer ones (we start those a bit earlier!) - I'll be sure to give you a big cheer if I see you!
  • It was at the Rainforest 10k last year when I fell over a football.  Two guys were tackling each other and they kicked the ball into my path and I ended up flat on my face.  I was not impressed.  Didn't break my iPod though.

• OMG - that's so pants! I feel a little better for finding out that it wasn't one of my clubs races, but that's still carp - pooor you! We'll make doubly sure that it doesn't happen at the Serpies race then - what d'ya think - a wall of runners around you to protect you? image
  • Lol Cathyw ... I like your priorities!!  image  Your iPod wasn't hurt but what about you?!!  ....  hope you weren't hurt.  Shaken, though, I'd imagine image, poor you!

All this talk earlier of race pack contents, I'm feeling jealous ... Haven't got my number yet image.

Hopefully will have arrived when I get home this eve though....

DD - I'd love to get down to one of your club's summer races if you're marshalling .. you'd be a fab marshall, cheerfully encouraging!  image

• I cut my elbow and my knee but I was more shaken than hurt.  Three girls kindly picked me up and shouted at the footballers on my behalf!
  • Sorry to hear you were hurt cathy but glad you were looked after - even if it was just a feeling of solidarity after the event!

I'm lucky not to have had any incidents like that during races but I have bouts of being chased by dogs (think my ankles are a homing device!) on training runs around parks, while the owners look on and eventually call their dogs back half-heartedly (I'm sure some of them have trained their dogs to attack runners!  Maybe that's just paranoia, I don't know!!).   You'd have thought that would have helped my speed work wouldn't you?! ... but no, unfortunately!

Running in a group these days helps a bit ... safety in numbers!  Though of course won't help with thoughtless footballers unfortunately!!

• I haven't had any problems with dogs but I'm doing a running commute tonight and am hoping not to be chased by hoodies in Hackney!
  • Good luck with that!!  Hoodies are scarier than dogs, so I hope you don't either!!  image
  • so.. i've got a place for this but applied before i was struck down by a month long chest infection/flu...literally no training for a month - is it all pro's? i'm minded just to come along and get round it...start the year off with a run. plan to run most days (if not all) from Sat onwards so should help...has anyone got any advice?  maybe I should leave it this time round? incidently if there is anyone living around fulham looking for training partners..
  • DE2 - no hun, I'm sure it's not all pros!!! I run very slowly so you'll finish ahead of me for sure!!! As long as you're feeling up to it then I think you should definitely come along and turn your legs over, don't go out to do the course in 40 minutes, come along and have a plod - see how you feel!
  • yeah i think i will - went for a 40 min light run on sunday and was so nice to be outside..fingers crossed i should make it...  base for improvement for the year i guess! 
  • Absolutely !!! I'm going for a laugh!!!! Supposed to be 'running' a marathon next year... well, suppose I should start proper training at some point!!

Someone's got to be last!
  • so.. i've got a place for this but applied before i was struck down by a month long chest infection/flu...literally no training for a month - is it all pro's? i'm minded just to come along and get round it...start the year off with a run. plan to run most days (if not all) from Sat onwards so should help...has anyone got any advice?  maybe I should leave it this time round? incidently if there is anyone living around fulham looking for training partners..
  • All pros?  Hardly, I'm running it!  Well, maybe, I've just arranged to go out NYE now...
  • wow which marathon you down for?

• Erm (don't laugh too much!!) London then Edinburgh....
  • I like chocolate milk

There is nothing to laugh about doing London then Edinburgh. I did Beachy Head  and then Five 2 Go marathons, which were 2 weeks apart.

I got my number today.

• Did you get safety pins Tracey?
  • They'll be my first and second maras... I guess you'll guess that I didn't expect to end up in London!!! image

Tracey G - 2 maras 2 weeks apart, you must be super woman!!!
  • I like chocolate milk

They were my 3rd and 4th marathons. I am not super fit, just had Plodding Hippo shouting at me. I could not have done both of them without her.

Cath - I got my safety pins. No baggage label, was I meant to have one?

• Amazing what effect a shouting Hippo can have T!! image
  • I got a baggage label but I don't seem to be trusted with safety pins.
  • Kaz - It is amazing that you have now turned in to a marathon junky.

Cathy - I never expect safety pins. Hubby can look after my baggage.

• Kaz - Marathons are fun if you have friends running too.
  • I have no friends... does that mean my attempts at marathoning are likely to be miserable?? image (ooh, actually Slowly But Shirley is coming to Edinburgh too)
  • I like chocolate milk

Have you any races booked before FLM?

• Tracey G

I have the Serpies New Year race, probably Benfleet 15 (as some others from my club are going) and Silverstone half (I did this last year and need to improve my time there!), apart from those I'm not going race crazy as I need to train more than race I think.... well, I need the practise going long rather than just racing. I can be quite strict with myself when I need to be so the long runs shouldn't be too bad... but I do like the buzz of a race!
  • I like chocolate milk

I would like to do Benfleet 15, but it all depends of what time my hubby finishes work the day before. I am going to enter Paddock Wood half marathon, that is when I get my finger out.