Cold weather gear?

2»

Comments

• On really cold days - what bits?
  • Traksters.  £10.  Nothing beats them.

I know you don't like looking a prat - (too late: you are a runner!), but tights are a good idea unless you want to run the risk of very cold muscles and possible injury.

I tend not to use tights except in the darkest wintery conditions.  Much better to use shorts but keep the core body warm (thin gloves, plus you might get on with a hat (I don't)).  A windproof top can make a big difference.

Kalenji is cheap but great.  Their £6 cheapo lycra shorts are marvellous.  Did me fine for this year's London marathon- not the slightest hint of any rubbing.

Decathlon also do some useful-looking knee-length "capri tights"- thicker material and keeps your knees warm.  I've run a couple of times in them, and hope to use them over the winter.  It's not been cold enough really.  Wore them last Sunday for a 19 mile long run (started at 05:30 so pretty darn chilly) - no rubbing.  Useful small rear hip pocket as well, for tissues / gloves / headtorch

• as for looking a prat and getting abuse from schoolkids / teenagers. Go running early say 7am - all of that section of society will still be tucked up in bed, problem solved!
  • Agreed.

I always head out for my runs at 5:30 to avoid all the pond-life.

Bit frosty yesterday, but had my tights on, beanie hat, lightweight gloves 2 wicking tops and a running jacket.....which on reflection was getting a tad warm, but it was registering as -2 so rather chilly.

Coming home from work in the car where I run at 6pm noticed a load of yoofs drinking from cans, smoking and generally looking like trouble....so for me it's always been a morning run since the last time I got hassle.

• I avoid night time running wherever possible too, mainly for the same reason (particularly in winter on the dark nights).