Options

Bala Middle Distance Tri

Comments

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    excellent photos there Symes

have to say that times are moving on - I don't recognise half of them!!

and - is Hollywood being a right tart and wearing his Orca GB shorts??? what a fashion disaster!!
  • Options

Fab pics Symes - I managed not to see you!

• Options

thanks Symes

There's one of me on the bikeimage

• Options
    I did notice how many Pirates now have the 'company car' .....

orf to look at the photies
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭

I'm small, furry, with 4 paws, easy to spot!

yeah - not many of those around, eh? image

• Options
    thats cos I eat 'em all.
  • Options

Symes - great pics as well as great supporting - you have a solid career ahead of you as a sherpa (but not for many years yet!)

FB, KK - I do have some very good excuses lined up.... my pirate shorts are in some of Syme's photos - but not with me wearing them... but it's probably easiest just to turn Slummo and plead guilty, isn't it?

No idea what the company car is all about - I did look around the car park and didn't spot a single picasso!

• Options
    No Melds was referring to the growing number of Audi Estates ....

Meli and I have the old version of Company Cars but I believe the allowance has gone up now   image
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    There is only ONE piratey car, atchly.
  • Options
    Yes - Syme's number belt and ATO's monaco came in well ahead of my kit (especially the bridge of my sunglasses which I guess is still out there completing the bike course)
  • Options

Thought I'd finally do a proper race report... sorry for the waffle

Preparation - week before did a 100 mile ride and a 19 mile run. Had this shall I? shalln't I? debate... somehow end up with I shall image

Weekend in the caravan was fab - thanks especially to MrsF for cooking and MrsJules for providing cake - thanks also to Jules for letting us pick on his diet all weekend image

Pre race - all was very calm and relaxed - very different to last year - genuinely I really missed Cath's wibbling!

Swim - very, very, very quiet swim - started on the right, stayed on the right, had no company until the final few metres of the second kilometer (which turned out to be Rosey!) - possibly did 32 minutes - yippee!

T1 - disaster - that wetsuit would not come off - which meant my legs got cramp... which meant I couldn't get my shoes on - all in all it felt like an age... given the amount of time I sat down pulling at my wettie, I am amazed that the clock shows I was only 50 seconds slower than Rosey!

Bike - went to Heart Rate... and it showed... I was just over 4 minutes slower to the top of the first hill - 44 minutes rather than 40 minutes - and 6 minutes slower to the turnaround spot - 1 hour 22 rather than 1 hour 16... had some dark thoughts during this first half - had some stomach pains and really was thinking about stopping long triathlons?! Second half was then hard... finally stopped after 1:34 for a pee - which was heaven - Gyraffe must have wondered why I had my willy out and such a big smile on my face when she came past (sorry!)... then up the hill again - keeping heart rate down and getting overtaken all the way. Was the HRM worth it? In some ways yes - I felt great at the top of the big hill - not totally knackered... However, by the time I got down the hill to T2 I felt knackered and was not so sure... about 2:47 for the bike - so 18.7mph compared to 20.1mph last year (but much more climbing this year - and much hotter and maybe more wind too?)

T2 - quick! No problems.

Run - started off too fast... quickly regretted not having a hat (didn't like my buff for some reason)... quickly started hating the hills. Splits to follow later, but basically they started on 8s and slowly got worse as the hills kicked in. Really suffered from the heat. Really felt dehydrated (should have drunk more on the bike) and had to walk the hill after the last water station (with cup in hand) and the last hill before the mile dash for home - run time of 1:47 (out in 52, home in 55) - could have been worse - I was dying at the end... must do bike and run hyrdation much better in Nice.

All in all... OK but lots of basics to remember in Nice!

Good news is that stats show I'm still (just) moving up the field:

2006 - 00:35:13 57 02:35:17 182 01:51:37 143 05:02:07 134/279
    2007 - 00:35:46 ?? 02:23:57 ?? 01:46:34 152 04:46:17 103/346
    2008 - 00:33:41 34 02:47:32 126 01:48:07 150 05:09:20 100/347

Superb well done to everyone who tackled the course! Not easy in that heat, nor with that new bike course. Pirate support was ace - fab! Next stop - Nice....

Will also be sure to send the Bala crew a thank you email soon - the marshalling on the bike course was top notch (including Mouse and Min of course!)

• Options

<delurks>

Fab photos, looks like fun! Now that I've been on my road bike once and learned how to change gears, I'm getting all over enthusiastic..... Bala next year sounds good!

• Options

bit late getting to me pc

got to say thanks to everyone i was so close to binning throughout the day but ur support really helped

nice to put faces to the names

now if i get my ar*e into gear i have i time to really improve on

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Read the reports and looked at the pics, well done folks for toeing the start line and reaching the finish line.
  • Options

Hi All

read the earlier part of your thread...

"Ultra AJH told me later that she caught up a man running and carrying his bike and gave him a tube of gunk for a repair but she didn't take his number either to see if he got in on the run.  (We added our stories together and worked out it was the same guy.) So he was true to his word.  What a fab person."

The man in question was Chris Hughes, Tri Preston. He did finish and is shortly to receive hero status.

• Options
    Is that the bloke who had 6 punctures?  He looked a bit out of place (i.e. far too athletic) to be still on the bike course when I was.  I stopped and gave him an inner tube.  He was very composed considering the circumstances!
  • Options
    Good god six punctures ? Thats even more than my record ! Poor guy !
  • Options

jeez, six punctures, i though cougie had a bad run of luck at IMDE but that takes the biscuit.

• Options
    did he continuously stab his tyre on the way round?
  • Options
    Aah ! Was he the guy with his aero helmet on back to front ? Every time he put his head down he pecked his tyre out ?
  • Options
    Well done Chris Hughes! good lad.
  • Options
    Symes, Mrs Symes and I had a chap with us whose chain got itself in a complete tizz (jammed beyond movement behind the last cog) and needed help sorting it out.  Wonder what happened to him... image
  • Options
    Great pics SyM.es....
  • Options
    Great pics Symes, didn't realise I was that much of a fat knacker, and I'm just about to start carbo loading for Nice too  image