Options

Asics Wilmslow Half Marathon

Can we finally expect chip timing to reach Wilmslow this year, especially seen as the prices have gone up yet again?

Helsby Four Villages HM, with chip timing, is only £16 entry.

Comments

• Options

I've never been that bothered about chip timing for halfs really. Just go off my stopwatch time. 

Seems like there are a few options in the North West round that time though - Liverpool and Oulton Park too ?

• Options

The problem with Wilmslow is it’s a decent size race and quite a long narrow start. There are signs up on the trees with estimated finishing times where you are supposed to start from but some people ignore them resulting in the start being a shambles and it taking a while to cross the start line and get into your stride.

Wilmslow is a generally a good race and this will be the 3rd year running I’ve entered it but the start needs to be resolved somehow. Whether that is by chip timing or different coloured numbers for each estimated completion time being rigorously enforced. But ultimately it does need to get with the times and bring in timing chips in order that official race times aren’t ruined by it taking several minutes to pass the start line.

For a race that charges £22 entry and then fleeces the runners for a further £2 car parking I don’t think it’s too much to ask. However, there does seem to be an air of arrogance surrounding Wilmslow as it thinks it’s a better race than it is. In my honest opinion the Macclesfield and Helsby HM’s are far superior.

Will have to check out the Liverpool race, not run that before. I’m sure last year it was on the same day as Wilmslow. The Oulton Pk race is a new one on the calendar. Apparently the route is just around the circuit and service roads within the race track.  Doesn’t sound too thrilling based on that, may try it anyway just to see.

• Options

Hi Gary

I was in favour of chip timing but it does add to the cost and the current system works for most people.  The chips wouldn't alleviate the narrow start as we'd all have to pass over the mats but I can see that it is disappointing to add 2 minutes to your time.  Chips aren't infallible either - at Man City 10k in 2005 they managed to lose the times of the first 20 and I could only confirm my position from photos.

Wilmslow HM is primarily a fund raiser for local charities, scouts and sports clubs.  After the costs are covered the remainder of your entry fee goes directly to these causes.  Nobody is making a profit and the running club does not benefit at all.

Other races work on a different basis with lower entry charge and then raising charity money more through sponsorships.

IMHO we need to show more clearly how the entry money is used and I'm hoping to include some pie charts in the programme.

I agree with you that the parking charge is a rip and causes queuing.  But there is loads of free parking on the surrounding streets and nearby in Wilmslow centre.  You only have to pay if you want to park right in the rugby club.

• Options

Some great points there RB, my only issue at Wilmslow is to do with runners clearly starting in the wrong place (happens in most other races as well). I am not sure if everyone is aware of the times that indicate the start zones because last year I started at the 1:45 area and ended up behind some groups (4/5 a breast) who must have been aiming for 2:10.

Perhaps the marshalls could be more vocal at the start and encourage people to go to the right area.

For what it is worth I don't care about chip timing, like cougie I always go off my own watch.

Anyway I have entered for the third year running and think that this is a great event.

• Options

Its not  the actual start that I find narrow its the country lane about 400m after the start I got held up badly there last year.

Interesting points about where the money goes to it will be my 3rd run at Wilmslow in 2008 and I had no idea that the running club made no money and that charities were the main beneficiaries. I'm sure the info is in the handbook somewhere but other then checking parking is in the same place and what the start time is the handbook doesn't get much of read in my house I'm afraid. Some pie charts would highlight to people like me who don't read the handbook from cover to cover where the momey goes

• Options

Gary

Speaking from experience stick with Wimslow, Liverpool is poorly orgainised and last year ran out of water quite early on.

I;ve run both and Wimslow is a better run with decent goody bag/t-shirts. Liverpool had neither last year plus was either £16 or £18 to enter for what turned into a bit of a shambles

2008 its Wimslow for me  

• Options

I've been asked to relay the following information by the organisers:

If you enter *by post* please ensure you apply the correct postage.

If you entered by post and didn't use a sufficient stamp (e.g. standard stamp on A4 envelope) then unfortunately these entries will not be delivered to us by Royal Mail and we won't be making trips to collect them and pay the £1.50 surcharge.  I'm afraid that in this case you'll have to enter again.

However if only your SAE has insufficient postage then we will accept your entry and make up the postage so that you receive your number back without problems.

In either case you can tell if you are entered because your cheque will be cashed. 

**Clearly none of this applies if you enter online**

• Options

Also it was pointed out to me that the running club do benefit indirectly as we pay to use the rugby club's (rather spartan) changing rooms and the rugby club is supported by the HM.  Also a few years before my time a rough running trail was made around the edge of the grounds and this was supported by HM.

RB

• Options

Online entries are closing today as the race has filled early.  If you want to enter try the online entry as I'm not sure what time it will stop.  Otherwise you may find that a postal entry will still work if you get it in quickly.

• Options
    Is it true there is a time limit on the race?
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Having read the information RunningBob provided, I think in future I will make alternative arrangements. BTW, Ihave entered this year's Wilmslow because I have happy memories of it 4 years ago, narrow parts or no narrow parts.

In the end, I'd rather decide myself to what causes I donate money additional to the actual costs of the event itself.

Race organisers, please take note.
  • Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

RB - does the fact that the roads are closed on the course have anything to do with the high fee? Looking forward to seeing the cost breakdown. It's something I'd thought about for the Stockport10.

Farnie - from what I remember the organisers do stipulate a time limit and advertise it as a race. I think this is to discourage people who treat it as a fun run.

• Options

This will be my 5th Wilmslow Half and I've always found the race to be far friendlier than the programme would lead you to believe - there is a time stipulation but I think this is just an indication of when the roads may have to be re-opened. Even though I am always at the back end of the field, it was only in the first year that I had to share the roads with any traffic ! Plus it's very sociable at the back - lots of chats and I actually meet people.

Looking forward to a great race again - still wearing all the T-shirts. Great for jim-jams !

• Options

It is very friendly and a real carnival occasion.

The road closures are important at Wilmslow because the country lanes don't usually have pavements and it becomes a H&S issue if runners are still out - therefore this has to be highlighted at time of entry.

• Options
    Swittle - you may be overlooking the fact that an event that raises money for charities probably gathers a lot more goodwill than one that is just for the runners benefit. You know how people complain if their trip to Tescos is made a little bit harder once a year.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    cougie - it may be difficult to provide evidence for your first assertion; as for your second, the point you are making is unclear.
  • Options
    Examples - FLM raises millions of pounds each year and the route remains laregely unchanged. Liverpool Half - doesn't raise anywhere near that much but looks like they are having to change the route as residents have complained about the inconvenience.
  • Options

i'm having a 3rd go at it, i love it
    only slight negative i'd say is the finish isn't brilliant for spectators, most are stuck behind that hedge and if you're not very tall...

on pricing it's all a matter of what you want to spend your money on isn't it?
    running is my thing and for a morning out and spread over all those weeks of training i don't think it's expensive. also last year's memento was one of the nicest i've had - looks like you've won something.

• Options
    This will be my 9th time of running - so they must be doing something right !!     and Clink I agree with you, last year's memento was VERY nice - hope they repeat it this year
  • Options

Just a quick note to all

Me and My OH will be out supporting a few Pirates we know doing this event, we will be out at approx 9.5 mile (Mobberly if you the course) we will have a big supply of Jelly babies please feel free to grab a handful when you run past.

We will be making a lot of noise (in the best pirate tradition) so you will see us.

• Options

one of the great things about this race is the support you get through the village, makes for a fantastic atmosphere. will you be wearing pirate gear?

hope everyone's training is going well/on plan, 8 weeks to go!

• Options
    This will be my first time running the Wilmslow Half.  Using the GNW Half as a warm up 5 weeks before.  Training going okay; regularly pounding the streets of Bramhall/Poynton at the moment and pushed it up to 12.5 miles on Saturday......phew!
  • Options
    This will be my first time running the Wilmslow Half.  Using the GNW Half as a warm up 5 weeks before.  Training going okay; regularly pounding the streets and pathways of Bramhall/Poynton at the moment - pushed it up to 12.5 miles on Saturday......phew!
  • Options
    i will be doing it in pirate gear, what is the course like for a PB attempt
  • Options

JP - fair chance though the start is a bit tight and there is a bit of a hill late on - i think around 11 miles, not too bad though

good going scruff - hope you enjoy it

• Options

JP

you should be able to clock sub 1:40 here.

The start is a bit congestted, just yourself as near to the front as possible

There is a hill towards the end but its not that bad

• Options
    Cheers for the info, hoping to go sub 1:40 before that and then decide wether to take it easy here or really go for it
  • Options
    Hiya Scruffbun!!!!    nice to see you posting on here too.......   see you this week
  • Options

Unfortunately I have missed the cut off date for entry - but would glady make a donation to anyones charity - should they be unable to attend - and let me have their entry -

does anyone know anyone who can not now attend ???