Asics Wilmslow Half Marathon

Comments

• Boing

How many forumites and pirates are doing this Half.

JPenno - Pirate kit - No 3983

• Interesting reading the comments about the Wilmslow Half.  This will be my fourth time there.

An unusual event in my opinion. Firstly, I think it would be considered a very successful race, attracting so many to such a small village race. It's definately regarded as the biggest draw around South Manchester/Cheshire area. The entry fee, like others have said, is hefty, but in my opinion largely irrelevant. The organisers can charge what they like in my opinion and spend it on a new clubhouse. They've made it into a success, people clearly don't mind paying it.....why not benefit from it?

I also don't mind the start, but then again am not so naive as to line up at the back. If you want a fast start, line up near the front...there's plenty of space. Also, fair play to the organisers for resisting the urge to increase the size of the field and make this more congested.

I generally like the course too, I think the people watching are supportive, the drinks stations well marshalled and friendly etc.

No, the only negatives for me are:

a) the finish - now, I know this is me being a miserable git, but after 13 miles of hard graft, when I'm starting to get cold, stiff and bad-tempered, the last thing I want is to have to fight against a load of prams, kids on bikes, annoying dogs etc and other assorted slow moving people to find my equally slow moving family at the end. Through no-ones fault particularly, It's just chaos. And you've got the really, really irritating announcer droning on. OK, OK I could just make arrangements to meet them by the car and go straight home, or leave the family at home, or stay at home myself and keep my nose out.......it is just frustrating personally that such a good event ends that way. It's also the sort of event where you want to catch up with mates, but there's little chance of that. Having said that, there's 3,000 runners and the logistics possibly mean there's little choice?

b) the organisers, probably by virtue of their programme, just come across as so.....unloveable? Now, possibly this is in keeping with wilmslow's general reputation (remember the local Vicar who gave them all a right pasting from the pulpit before hot-footing it out of there), but couldn't they employ a spin doctor to make their messages a little more light-hearted, warm and welcoming? As it stands it comes across as though they resent you taking part! Also, it makes the chaos of the finish a bit more like "OK, you've run in our race, now bugger off, we don't care".

I'm sure it's not really what's intended, but I know others who share my view. Just by thinking a bit more how it's presented it might add even more to the appeal of a potentially great race. Sorry for sounding so negative. It gets 8/10 from me.....it just frustrates me that it could so easily be that bit better.

• I can't help shake the fact the general thought of the club was, if you are not going to run this sub 1.50, don't bother showing up. 

I understand they have to close roads etc etc etc, but I do have to agree with point b above that they do come across incredibly unloveable/uncaring/elitist/snobbish  (sorry a little uncalled for)

And I know for a fact it isn't just a Wilmslow thing image

• Farnie - i think it is a wilmslow thing they were always like that at Rugby, they used to organise a junior rugby union tournament and were seriously pi$$ed off when their teams did not win the trophies.

I remember a couple of games ending in serious disagreeements with the pompous tw@ of a coach, he even wanted to referee the final in which his team was playingimage

• Well I shall be bringing up the rear.  Me and my WRN ladies.  Most of whom couldn't run 2 miles a few months ago and now they are regularly coming out for 9/10 milers on a sunday.  (I am a hard task master) 

And pretty much all of them have felt stoopid for entering because of the undercurrent of 'you have to run not jog this half marathon'

• JPenno - possibly it's the competitive streak which has got them into a posh place like Wilmslow to begin with that comes to the fore too readily? I've got a number of (close and distant) friends there, and am yet to actually meet someone that I don't like. Also, I've found that there's no real cliqueiness, and people seem to invite you to their parties even though you've only known them for a few nano-seconds....so, I'd say it is a welcoming place.

HOWEVER....at the same time there's less chance of a motorist stopping to let you cross a road there, and there's always an undercurrent of materialism that, again, just makes you glad to be away from the place. Welcoming, but not caring possibly? Maybe if I was a millionaire I'd love it there!!! Or, I just need to accept the rough with the smooth?

All very interesting.....possibly more relevant to a sociology forum than a running one though!

• How many forumites and pirates are doing this Half.

JPenno - Pirate kit - No 3983
    DG - 4264
    Mr DG 4263

Hoping I can get round in sub 2 hours (1:59:59 will do!!), although this will really push me!  Anyone else aiming for that time care to help me pace it? 

• All,

Due to an injury I won't be able to compete in the Wilmslow Half next weekend.

If anyone is interested in taking my entry off my hands, can you PM me.

Cheers.

• Whilst I agree with what JP and Farnie have said, this is a race after all and knowing a couple of people that run for Wilmslow and their big problem is people entering this and not doing much training and having to walk after 1 mile.

99% percent of people who enter this half marathon will manage to run to at least the 9/10 mile point which the organisers dont have a problem with its the 1% that cant that get peoples backs up.

That said its a fair point about the people that live round there as last year was out on the course supporting and the residences complaining they couldn't go out in there car to do some shopping "Why do they have to do it on a sunday, it should be during the week, when I'm not here" was a comment made by one person

All the people that post/read/lurk on here are committed runners and these are the people that Wilmslow are trying to attract no matter how slow or quick they be.

• patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    I know somebody who wants to run this the organisers will allow you to change names as long as you let them know could I have e-mail address so can let you have their details
  • Due to illness I have two Wilmslow places available if anybody is interested
  • I still have an entry available if there's any takers!!

PM Me if you're interested. 

• Ran this in 2005 and 2006 -this year hoping for a PB, I'm not fast so if I make 2:05 I'll be delighted but have to say I've enjoyed Wilmslow -I think the pre-race bollocking is a bit more friendly this year, no mention of being "taken out" if you walk in the first 5 miles. Most people won't do that in this race and is the right approach in view of the limit on numbers.

I found it was very friendly all round the course -so am looking forward to it again, have a good race and a good day everyone!

• Well everybody we have 700 odd small bags with 5 jelly babies in each

• XBXB ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. I have a small odd bag and she's just eaten a pieimage
  • Latest forecast:  "light showers" 11 degrees C from bbc website. As good as we can hope for given the recent stuff!
  • Is there baggage storage facilities at the rubgy club or is a case of leave your stuff in the car
  • I've just been re-reading the little race handbook and it says no storage facilities, JP.
  • thats what i read, BUT it says showers and changing facilities, so that means you can change there BUT have to put the stuff back in the car, whcih could be parked 10 mins away!!
  • JP, as I read it showers etc are at the Rugby Club as is the car parking, the start and finish are 10 mins away from the Rugby Club, so in theory (if you get there early enough) your car should be near the showers.  Still not quite sure how to handle the timings of dumping warm clothes before heading to the start - especially if the wind and rain hasn't read the forecast and doesn't stop!
  • DG
    The start is actually at the Rugby club, the finish is about 3/4 mile away. So dumping clothes at the start is no problem.
    Unless you get there extremely early, theres no chance of parking at the rugby club and even if you did, getting out would be a nightmare. You should be able to park in the roads immediately around the rugby club as long as you dont arrive too late.

ADP

• There is NO Parking at the Rugby club this year due to the rain
  • Any idea where I can park the car then JP? I want to go to 9 miles to scoff the sweets but Mr LB can't see anywhere to park either....
  • No idea, i am aiming to be in Wilmslow before half nine and just dump the car somewhere near the start
  • Now you don't care about it, cos you're getting your old man's car, you mean?image

• WTF, no parking at the Rugby Club????

Arrrhhhh *runs off screaming* aarrhhh its turning into a nightmare......image

• I know the people of Wilmslow are posh but i did not think they were thick FFS they cant read. The race had starting time markers. I lined up at the 1:40 marker and there must have been 2,000 people in front of me!!.

I took 5 mins to get a clear part of the road to start running properly and then went off too hard trying to make up lost groundimage. It cost me in the end and finished in 1:42 by my watch, gun time will be much slower due to the delay in getting over the line.

It really Pi$$es me off when people who have no hope in hell of getting under 2 hours try and start at the front. I do not mean that in a disrespectful way to any slower runners BUT i know what time i am going to do and try to start with runners of similar levels.

Thanks to LB and SA for the shouts of encouragement and jelly babies, LB mail me and i will give you my email address for the photosimage

• Hello all you beautiful, sweaty people! image

Just wanted to say "bloody well done"!!! image

The weather was very kind in the end and my girls enjoyed seeing you all! I have photos of some of you and (sadly) not of others. This is primarily because a few of you caught me completely by surprise by blitzing your PB's and I wasn't quite ready for you.....image

JP- the photos of you are quite good - and you SMILED!! image See, I knew you weren't an old meanie really....image I will post them when Mr LB gets out of the shower and uploads them. That's a boy's job...

Farnie and Cally - you were looking GOOD!

I have photos of the two fireman with the Ostriches too!

• If it's any consolation, JP  I agree with you. I hate it when people get in my way (and believe me, I'm not a front runner) and I think people should be made to line up according to previous race times. If you're a virgin, then you're in the back pen...image

You looked strong and comfortable when I saw you. Slower people should not feel disrespected - it is they who chose to disrespect you.

It could've been worse - you might have been running it in yesterday's weather!

• Great weather and support from round the course.  Just back fromskiing hols last night and really suffered from dead legs - hobbled round in 1:17ish.

I hope everyone parked OK.  The rugby field was too wet for parking this year.  But really much better to park on streets between start and wilmslow.