Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• For DTB...

Brave Men Jokes

What's the definition of the bravest man in the world??

The man who comes home drunk, covered in lipstick and smelling of perfume,

Then slaps his wife on the backside and says: "You're next,fatty."

Man walks into the bedroom with a sheep under his arm while his wife is lying in bed reading.

Man says: "This is the pig I have sex with when you've got a headache."

Wife replies: "I think you'll find that is a sheep."

Man replies: "I think you'll find I was talking to the sheep"

A man walks into his bedroom and sees his wife packing a suitcase.

He asks, "What are you doing?"

She answers, "I'm moving to London. I heard prostitutes there get paid £400 for doing what I do for you for free."

Later that night, on her way out, the wife walks into the bedroom and sees her husband packing his suitcase.

When she asks him where he's going, he replies, "I'm coming too I want to see how you live on £800 a year".

A woman was shopping at her local supermarket where she selected: 2

litres of low fat milk, a carton of eggs, 2 litres of orange juice, a head of lettuce, half a dozen tomatoes, a 500g jar of coffee, a 250g pack of bacon.

As she was unloading her items on the conveyor belt to check out, a drunk standing behind her watched as she placed the items in front of the cashier.

While the cashier was ringing up her purchases, the drunk calmly stated,"You must be single."

The woman was a bit startled by this proclamation, but she was intrigued by the derelict's intuition, since she was indeed single. She looked at her six items on the belt and saw nothing particularly unusual about her selections that could have tipped off the Drunk to her marital status. Curiosity getting the better of her, she said, "Well, you know what, you're absolutely correct. But how on earth did you know that?"

The drunk replied, "Cos you're ugly."

Ed was in trouble. He forgot his wedding anniversary. His wife was really upset. She told him "Tomorrow morning I expect to find a gift in the driveway that goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds AND IT HAD BETTER BE THERE."

The next morning Ed got up early and left for work. When his wife woke up, she looked out of the window and sure enough there was a small box gift-wrapped in the middle of the driveway.

Confused, she put on her robe, ran out on to the driveway and picked up the box.

She opened it and found a set of bathroom scales.

• lol, SJ, very brave.....but only cos you're out of arms reach..... image

• Hello

do you mind if i join in?

I am hoping to do Dublin 08 as my first marathon.

It seems a bit early to say that out loud( but typing is OK !)

Just moved to Kildare ( from North Notts) although I am from Dublin .

• Look blue to me too DTB - Sorry!!

Jim, I tried the Free's a couple of years ago and you were advised to wear them around the house for a few weeks, and then only run short distances in them. They were great, but then the back ripped on both pairs after 3 weeks so they went back and I never got another pair. There was a huge long thread on here somewhere.
  • Hi JARS dub 08 will be my first too - was a bit injured this time round! but im definitely looking forward to torturing myself next october!
  • torturing myself over 26.2miles that should have read!
  • Hiya jars.  You've picked a good one.
  • Glad you cleared that up Rosh!!  image

Right enough of this carrying on!!  Off for a 2.5k swim and then an hours bike...image

• Welcome Jars, Dublin 06 was my first, was such a nice one to do I came back in 07!

HTA - think I'm going to have to bow to the majority on the blue thing lol....and me supposed to be good at visual things too, being a painter....eek! lol, I'm blaming the computer screen image 

• Thanks HTA, confirms my suspicions that they are more of a gimmick than a serious functional shoe.

You're definitely right about the heel section - feels like it's made of paper to me.

SJ 

• Forgot to say - welcome Jars.

• This will be my 10 or 11th depending if I get into London in April!

LOL DTB!!

I turn my back on this thread for 4 and a half minutes and get 8 emails about it from RW - SHOCKING
  • And another 4 !! What's going on
  • HTA i noticed that when i had the notification thingy enabled i was getting about 3 notifications for every post..........so i turned it off and my inbox nows breathes easy againimage
  • Thank you for the welcome.

I suppose i better get running again then !
  • Hi Jars - Where abouts are you in Kildare - I'm in Dublin, but my other half is from Naas and have been known to grace the streets of that quiet little town on many a weekend.

In fact - Have we got other Dub based runners on here who would like to think about getting together at some point  to run together at times, or maybe some who may like a bit of support/coaching? I'm free image

• Liam I am in Coill Dubh( not far from Prosperous

I know almost nobody in my immediate locality ( well I've only been here a week !)

So running support would be great

I warn you I am SLOOOOOWWWW

I have done four halves in the past and am determined to manage the full monty.

Mr JARS is a sometimes runner and has a few halves under his belt too, so he would probably be interested too.
  • email off so my pc can rest awhile image
  • I would imagine a running club / running buddies would be a great way to make friends in a new area.

I keep kicking about the idea of joining my local athletics club but I've never quite got round to it.  I'm not naturally one of life's joiners (you may have noticed how shy I am) and I like setting my own schedule and goals in terms of running.  The main reason I would want to join is to get the benifit of coaching  but I have this assumption that I would be passed over for advice in favour of runners a bit closer to the front of the pack.  I have been invited out to an informal running group a few times by the woman who fits me for trainers but I dunno, I guess I'm just too anto-social...

Anyway, anyone on here run Rotterdam?  Thats looking like my spring run but I've had mixed reports on it...

• anto-social?

Does that mean that you only hang around with knackers from dodgy parts of Dublin?  I hear that Finglas is "lovely" around this time of year as long as you don't mind dodgy the burnt out cars and wild horses.

(for those of you not in the know, "Anto" is a well know knacker(irish chav) name, all names must be shortened and have an o lobbed on the end of them e.g. (Anthony = Anto, Dermot = Dermo) 

Anto can normally be identified by his expensive trainers(not of the running kind), knock off burberry hat and elizabeth duke signet rings.  The younger variety also sport a hairy upper lip for the first 29 years of their life.   He can also be found at the biting end of a small, hairy horse on a rope.  John Player Blue is his cigarette of choice.  Aspires to be a Subaru Impreza driver.  His "mot" (or girlfriend) can be identified by her name "Shard-en" and by her ability to smoke, chew gum and drink larger all at the same time.

• Actually Mrs A prefers flagons of Linden Village cider...
  • LOL @ LR!!

Amadeus...was it Rotterdam that was closed because people got contaminated water and were all sick (I might be wrong!)

I was so knackered by yesterdays training that I was in bed for 10 o clock!!  If this keeps up the kids are going to have to tuck me every night!  (I was in bed well before them!)

• GFB - Is that the real reason it was closed?  I thought it was just due to the heat, and so many peeps collapsed etc, they had no more emergency cover so stopped the race.  I could be wrong though.

I was sort of considering Rotterdam too, but Hamburg may be preferable.

• DTB told some horror stories about it being closed because of heat, I hadn't heard about contaminated water?!

I know last year was a total disaster but Paris and London were also run in fairly extreme heat so I'm hoping that they were just freaks of nature and that lessons will have been learned regardless.  My main worry about it is teh course which looks quite narrow and I'm a bit worried about loads of congestion. 

• I think Daz is right, they closed it when they ran out of ambulances.... 

According to my friend that ran it, they had these special cups, with foam on top, the idea being that you could drink from them, and then use the foam like a sponge to cool yourself off. Only they ran out of cups, so people had to pick used cups off the floor, and dip them in the water, which made the water go all grey and dirty, but they were all so thirsty they drank it anyway. A fair number of their group did end up with the runs, but they weren't sure if this was due to the dirty water, or the sports drink at the end, which they all seemed to hate, and made one person I know have blue poo.....!

I think it wound my mates up when the race director was on telly later saying they hadn't run out of water - technically true, as there was water, it was just grey and sweaty....

No doubt next year they will learn from this.....you'd hope! 

• Morning all. 

I'm gutted on two counts today.

Firstly, had a carp run last night, worse for a long time but on reflection, totally circumstantial as I ran just 90 minutes after a big meal (should know better) and over-dressed (that's hat and gloves as opposed to best bid and tucker) as I thought it would be a lot cooler than it actually was. The result was that I felt like I was giving Mrs SJ a piggy back for the first 8 of the 10 miles. Awful.

Secondly, it looks like I'll now have to return those signet rings I bought from Elizabeth Duke for Mrs SJ's Xmas present this year on the basis of LR's derogatory comments. 

SJ image 

• imageBlue Poo!!!  Yikes!!

Somone told me recently SJ that you have to have the bad runs because they make the good ones so special!  image