I keep collapsing

Comments

• Dear Douglas,

This is a first for me and it has taken several telephone calls to work out how to get on the site.

What a site for me to be on - runners!! I was never one to don the lycra and pound around the Maifeld - I regarded it as bad for the health!!

What a mottley but wonderful crew have been contributing ( I hasten to add that this applies to Lilleywhite contributors). I have been trying to work out which of you all was the most trying to a beleaguered and fast balding Adjer. A very close run thing with some of you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Douglas.

Robert 

• Dearest Dougal

Fondest memories of both you and the gold hound aka Goldie - some of you reading this blog will remember Goldie Dougal's devoted  shivering whippet!

Goldie loved her food and why not indeed but very often  got to the bird destined for the dining room table before anyone else!

But the point of mentioning Goldie here is that I know this little snippet from memory lane would make Douglas smile.  I remember  one occassion the hound decided to scratch the top of a Georgian card table at home.

On hearing about this Douglas had the following to say....................

'Oh did I ever tell you about the time Goldie scratched the top of a LouisX1V table' !!!!!

Clearly this dog of Dougal's  had a penchant for Antiques!!

Heaps of Love dear Dougal - we are thinking of you all the time down here in Cornwall

Petal and Marge  Fly and the dogs xxxxxxxxx

• Welcome on board, mein former auchtbachtenfurrer (can't do umlauts).

The Heer Strasse incident courtesy one of Albert Speer's pet bridges wasn't that bad. The tough part was the cops, our cops. Being dim, and frightened of the auchbachtenfurrer, I reported the incident, as per regs. part 8, subsect b, subsubsect ii. Coverin' me ar-e basicly (sorry about foul language, ladies). The little journey out to the scene of the crime, in an M.P. vehicle, took a very long time. I was  casually asked about 25 times, the questions most friendly, how the party was the night before: I had a 'couple of bottles of beer' did I? That sort of thing. But, I employed tactical manoeuvring, as per trg. Albert's bridge, of course, came off very lightly.

Well, what is a lady, Ploddo? Time for some definitions.

I do not know how so many of my former colleagues remember all of those alcoholic cocktails - I thought the whole point was that you couldn't. Kummel? Wot's in it?

Girls, there was a little nightclub I knew. T'were called de Dorrit Bar. Trouble is, I went back there in 2003 (true). The most significant change was... No, this is a respectable site. Runners. But, if some posters wouldn't have minded chilling out with a few of us back in those Cold War days (when the tonic was more expensive that the gin, Plod Hip), well, um, we're still at it, actually.

Hm. Talk about flaggin a floggin mule..

Douglas! Get some order here!!!

Billy.

PS. Off net till 2359hrs approx., 21st.

• Hang it there Douglas and rest easy - my thoughts and prayers are with you & your family.

X

• All,  why the talk of gin and kummel?  WIll no one drink bubbles with me?

Douglas, sleep peacefully tonight

LOL xxx

• ok, I have to ask

what is Kummel please

would i like it??????

I am a gin laydee

Hey jelly bean, i do bubbles too

Im a bit tearful at the mo, sorry, may not be appropriate, but --------

Fck it

Doug, hope you are comfy tonight, and please dont fight too hard

Ruth xxxxxx

• BIlly, I would be privileged to meet you for real

x

• Douglas,

V  V Sorry to hear that you are krok. My sister Teresa keeps me in touch with the situation. Greetings for what they are worth from the Galaxy II out here in a cold N Sea.

• It is just fantastic to read all the anecdotes about Doug and his friends, this thread is becoming an addiction! 

Keep smiling Doug. 

• Just googled Kummel.....

Sounds fairly lethal!!!

This caraway based liqueur is tremendously popular at golf clubs, apparently, due to seed's relaxant properties. Not that the 39% alcohol content has anything to do with it of course. It's pronounced 'Kim-mel', stressing the 'Kim' by the way.

Tasting Notes : Powerful, lifted aromas of aniseed, liquorice and cumin. Sweet but with a clean, crisp finish. Producer : Wolfschmidt Method of Production : Made to an old Danish recipe that remains a closely guarded secret, what we can tell you is that Kummel Wolfschmidt contains caraway, fennel, cumin and a number of other herbs and spices. These are combined with neutral alcohol and sugar to produce this leading digestif liqueur.
  • G'day Douglas,

Billy and Ed have managed to keep me in touch with yr recent progress.

As to Kummel, we used to be able to buy Metzendorf from Berry Bros but now they won't ship overseas and Nick the Nose in Doncaster East can no longer get Wolschmidt so we can only get some Dutch Kummel distinctly lacking in flavourimage.  Impossible for visitors from UK to bring any over due toliquid carrying regs on the airlines..

Hey, Douglas,do you remember those parties at Zarpenhof - Billy on the piano and Hans & Heidi and the rest of us in full song??

Our thoughtsare with you -even from sunny Melbourne!

I'll see if I can find an oldphoto of one of those parties..

• Morning,

Douglas, I hope that you had a restful night and that the pain is under control. Holding you, and those who love you, in my thoughts.

I,too, am enjoying the stories, it sounds as if Douglas has packed a lot of living into his years. It makes me wish that I'd actually met him and his cohort. Don't worry too much about your language, Billy - if you were to venture out of here into the rest of the forum you'd know that we've heard (and used) worse!

I have to say that I'm rather fond of cognac, Jelly Bean - but bubbles go down well at any time, don't they?!

xxxxx

• Morning Slugsta,  An early riser too eh? 

Douglas, I trust you're well rested and have a glimmer of the gorgeous smile on your face.

And Rupert, I think all us girlies want pics of the old days - there's a tad of admiration mixed with something else going on .....

Have a peaceful day Doug - in my thoughts x 

• /members/images/461069/Gallery/Zarpenhof_party_1973.jpg

Hey Douglas,

I managed tofind that photo of you singing with Billy on the piano and Ed saying,"Of course,when I was in Malaya..."

Here you go girls!!

Rupert

• Thanks, Rupert!

Yes, Radiant, I'm up just before 6am on w*rk days and find it hard to sleep later on the others. In the 'old days' I would use this time to go out for a run but I've been injured all year so still not back to that yet.

• That's the same as me!!!  Although the eyes opening at 0410 this morning was pretty grim even by my standards!  I'm now waiting for the coffee to kick before going out for a trot ...  although "up here" it's mild but blowing a gale.  I may need some balast to keep me upright.  Isn't Billy meant to be in a bi-plane or something?  Heavens !

Thanks Rupert - ladies, isn't there something about khaki, alcohol and a piano - you can help but smile ...!!!

• /members/images/461069/Gallery/Douglas_-_Topless_2.jpg

Wellgirls, here's another on with Douglas- Topless!!image

Rupert

• ooh what a nice surprise first thing in the morning!

I love the photos

Thanks Tigger for the Kummel definition

Hope you are comfortable today Douglas

•  Hi Rupert

Brilliant of you to find these photos of Douglas - I'm sure they will be much admired

I wonder if you have any more?

I have quite a number of photos of Douglas and I shall try to post one or two on the site with the help of my daughter who's a bit more clued up about this sort of thing than me! 

Watch this space everybody!

Best Wishes to all

Amanda 

• Thank you for sharing the photographs.

Hope that you're comfortable Doug and enjoying the reminiscences as much as we who weren't even there are.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  •  G'day Rupert,

Well done for getting those onto  the site and good to talk to you last night,Robert - though thought you might come on as Seagull !

Had no idea that we were such a technically minded bunch of retired officers as most of us had difficulty dealing with mundane matters such as that bloody safe in the picket officer's room in Berlin - seem to remember that I should remember more than most.

Rupert not sure if you were there on that exercise in Schleswig - Holstsein but if so,do you have any photos of that or Vogelsang as Doogle would have featured  and my book is in storage?

Sorry  I fibbed about Billy,the piano and a bottle of Bells as from the photo.he's only got a tumbler - but the order of dress looks as if he was "going tactical" at the time. Billy's bridge -  Billy you know how much the Military Police loathed us  but more later inc. DSJ's romantic forays into East Berlin and the monkeys -  (military slang for the Royal Miltary Police).

Goldie - Doogle's shivering shadow for years and car interior destroyer.

Doogle - hope these updates are getting to you and that you have an amusing time with Billy today.

• Sounds as if the Brompton will have a good time if Doug and Billy get together image
  • I did christmas eve and christams day at the Brompton on call in , er 1994 i think

it was a good laugh and the food was excellent

• Hope their milkshakes are up to standard!
  • Just popping in to see  how things are

I hope you put sunscreen in those fair shoulders Doug image

• Loving those piccies Doug! Cor blimey, any more topless shots and we could make a calendar!!!

Hope you're comfy today!

Big hugs!

H xxx
  • Trust Billy survived the bi-plane flight and has made it to the Brompton - bet its rocking there nowimage

Sounds like the Berlin days were a blast and def looking forward to more piccies.

Hope your day is pain free Douglas

JBC xxx

Any more joining us on the bubbles????

• holds out  glass

Dont mind if i do

• <holds out bucket>

me too, please

• Goldie !!!She was a thief,but loverable.

She will be waiting for you at the Pearly Gates when you time has come.

Have a peaceful day .L O L Re