I keep collapsing

Comments

• Jelly Bean Counter,

Your news is up to date - thanks.

• My thoughts and prayers are with Doug's family and friends 

May he long continue to be an inspiration to everyone.

RIP Douglas

• Im sorry for the silence My dongle has let me down and I havent had net access I have been thinking about Doug's friends and family though

xx

• You can shed tears that he is gone
    Or you can smile because he has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that he'll come back
    Or you can open your eyes and see all that he's left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see him
    Or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
    Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember him and only that he's gone
    Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
    Or you can do what he'd want; smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

(Anonymous)

• Marge, I've always loved that poem, it seems particualry apt in relation to Doug, doesn't it?
  • I found that poem from Bimblebelle on this site.  Had it read at my Mum's funeral.  It is really apt and quite beautiful
  • Marge  -a lovely appropriate poem.

I can't really add to it

• Hi - This email is sent from Marge and Alexandra (Jean's daughter, and he was living with me over the past few months).

In response to Christopher MacKarness's post earlier about the charity, which as Billy Lambton has also mentioned, I believe Marie Curie would also be a charity of choice. Earlier this year I had helped him get a gold bond running place for the London Marathon 2009 (excuse my lack of proper running vocabulary!) and he was hoping to run in their name. Thus perhaps for Marie Curie to be considered may best reflect Doug's wishes.

With love to Doug,

Alexandra and Marge xx

• We now have suggestions from three close sources of charities which we know are relevant and would meet with Douglas's approval.

Let those racing in the near future who wish to do so,  raise money through justgiving.com for any of these, I say. (Now please do not take this as cynicism - treat it as realism) - This way while this forum is fresh and active and minds concentrated on our friend, useful funds will be raised.

A further suggestion - going more into the future, from one who initially knew Douglas in the Army in the early 1970s, and also ran with him (or rather well behind him usually) in various races recently.  I plan to run the ASICS London 10k on July 12th in his memory, along with friends who have run with him and me in that race in years gone by , followed by the usual hilarious picnic in St James's Park. I will take a raincheck in due course on which charity we will collect for.

If ANY contributors to (or lurkers on)  this forum wish to join this race / party, that would be great.  Please indicate, and make sure I can message you direct, (through this site).  If need be, i will get onto Union Jack Sports and see if I can reserve some bulk places.  I have already got a place.  Maybe we will also have some further Berlin veterans running on that occasion (combats and DMS boots maybe) ??!!    If not - then come and support  (bringing a bubbly picnic contribution with you).

For those racing on Boxing Day - good luck.

Anthony Jacques

• I think a fitting tribute to Douglas would be to organise a sponsored fun run/walk in his memory. Everyone could join in, either keen runner or reluctant walker(I fit into the latter category but he always said if the thought of running puts you off then just start off by walking!) could meet somewhere like Battersea Park on say Sunday 15th March 2009 (2 days before his birthday)and run or walk circuits of the park. We could all get sponsorship via the just giving site to raise money for Marie Curie. We could then adjourn to a local watering hole & raise a glass of orange juice to his memory. He would be proud if it meant it got everyone out and active plus we would be raising money for a good cause. Who knows it could even become an annual event. Will anyone be joining me??? JC
    If anyone thinks the idea is good but there is a more suitable venue or appropriate date please let me know.
  • Sad, sad news.

RIP Doug.

My best wishes to all of his friends and family.
  • Dearest One and All

I have been so moved by everyone's postings whether close friends or people he had never personally met who had added their own thoughts and wisdom to this thread - it meant a great deal to him and he was extremely proud of the amount of activity generated on the site.

I wanted to let you all know that his death announcement will be in the Times tomorrow.  As you will see the funeral is private - it is a very small church and as I am sure you will understand Douglas clearly has far more friends from all areas of his life than it could accommodate.  If you had thought of sending flowers please instead give a donation to Cancer Research UK via the funeral directors or straight to the charity itself.

We are planning a significant Memorial Service for him hopefully in March and it would be even better if we could have it on his birthday.  Everyone is very warmly invited to attend and further details will be posted in due course.   I  thought the idea of a run/walk in his memory was fantastic so yes please let's do that too.  He would have been very happy for people to give to whichever Cancer charity they felt most appropriate - Cancer Research UK, Macmillan Cancer Support or Marie Curie.

Marge your poem said it all - thank you

Best love to all those who cared for Douglas and may you all have a peaceful Christmas

Gina

• Gina - all noted. We await Memorial service details in due course.

Jason - Battersea 15th March - yesyes !

Back to you Gina, good luck, we'll see tomorrow's Times, and hope everything (admin wise) goes OK. I know he left things in as apple pie order as he could, but I am aware you'll have a lot of work.

Anthony

• TownerTowner ✭✭✭

very sad news

love to all doug's friends and family.

• Having, like many, followed Douglas and his journey from the very beginning I can safely say I have never felt such emotion for someone I have never met.

I would love to have met Douglas and I know that amongst the sadness the banter and fun has always been there and has had me laughing out loud on many an ocassion. Today after catching up there are only tears (which has greatly confused my tabby kitten, Mr T) and my thoughts are with his family and close friends.

I'm definitely down for March 15th or whatever day is decided on for a memorial run/walk.

Douglas may you rest in peace. 

Milkshake has taken on a new meaning and I will drink in toast to you each time I devour one.

xx  

• As some others on here, I have only delved in now and again to the thread, but what a top bloke! Judging by the comments from friends and people who know him only from the website, he was a truely inspirational man.

Being an ex Brompton employee (99-2008), I know sure Steve / Sue and the teams over on Fulham Road would have made his last few days as comfortable as they could have been.

RIP...have a chocolate milkshake up there for me old boy...

• 1. I think those posting important notices on this site must in future declare their full names and, as it were, function, or we're going to get a right b. muddle established.

2. Authoritative announcements can only come from Douglas's family or one, single representative of the family - and we should know whom that is so that the bulletins can be recognised.

3. Likewise, any charitable operation must be agreed with and approved by the family - this is because of Douglas's surname, obviously enough. But, that name is shared by his relations.

4. The charitable idea should definitely be persued (in the foregoing I repeat myself), because of Douglas's example and how that will inspire generous giving. But, its direction must be ordered by the family, who will no doubt delegate.

5. So, we need an announcement stating that the family have set up such-and-such a site for giving to such-and-such a charity or charities, both according with Douglas's expressed wishes (or how the family has interpreted those wishes); then we can all chip in and encourage others so to do.

6. Hold fire till then, I would suggest.

Billy Lambton.

PS. Ideally, the family might collaborate with Runner's World management in this venture. If anyone reading this blog is of that ilk, maybe he/she could say something on this. If the giving idea is properly organised, then a very substantial sum might be raised.

PPS. I am ducking out completely from any organisational function myself, as someone with a proper office is needed. 

• My function?

Knew him in a slit trench 36 ago, saw virtually nothing of him for 33 years, then jumped back into the same slit trench a couple of months back.

My job done, and I think this blog's function (to support the living Douglas) finished, I am now withdrawing to my bogs, traps and Woodbines.

I wish ye all well and happy.

Bill Bloggo.

• I am so sad to hear the news. My thoughts go to all of his family and friends. Doug has touched so many people on these forums, he's encouraged me not only to run, but to get on with life in general and stop moping around when it's a bit grey outside! I hope his family and friends find comfort in the positive effect he has had on so many forumite. 

I would say RIP Doug, but we're off for a 4 miler this morning... your memory will continue to pound the streets as long as I do. 

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage these smileys are for you doug xxx

• So sad to read the news... I was last reading this thread a couple of posts before the news of Douglas leaving us

No more pain for him now thankfully, but this thread is a testament to what a strong resilient person he was. I never met him sadly, but will carry his determination with me

• Good posts Billie

I hope the family are surviving the chaos of the last few days and can grieve for Douglas unclouded by administrative issues, none of which should be added to by this thread on RW

A difficult time of year for loss and I hope all hisfamily/ friends take comfort in the poem that Marge posted (which from what I saw of Douglas fitted his view on life)

• well said Mistletoe Pig

I too am signing off for now, but will think of you Doug, especially when my life gets what I call "tough"

thank you for being an inspiration

Ruth

• I have been a serial lurker of this thread and have just caught up with the last week or so's posts

So sorry to hear the news about Doug, condolences to his friends and family

It is a lovely gesture to fundraise / run in his memory and if I could run at the moment I would definitely join in but will happily make a donation to which ever of the three very worthwhile charitys..

I lost my lovely grandad to lung cancer just over 2 years ago so they are all charities very close to my heart..

RIP Doug

• Thinking of Doug's family and friends today. xxx
  • Here's wishing you all a happy 2009 !
  • i've only just now caught up with this. I am so sorry to hear this. Doug's spirit  and courage was an inspiration. I lurked and followed his story with tears sometimes but mostly with a smile.

RIP Doug

• In case there is anyone out there still connected to this blog, I would like to let you know that the plan recorded here in December to run the Rome Marathon on March 22nd in honour of Douglas is going ahead. Each member of out team made up of friends who ran regularly with Douglas will be wearing a letter of his name and he will be very much in our minds, as he is while we train.

Please visit our web-site: runningsponsorme.org/romefor douglas  

• Thats brilliant news Alex, off to sponsor....