I keep collapsing



  • Lorra,

    I've been told that indoor biking is OK, but best to leave the outdoor biking until the weather warms up. Even though I'm only doing a maximum of 30 minutes at a time (max HR about 125), I'm concentrating on keeping my form and I go up and down between 90 and 110 rpm albeit only at levels 1 or 2. I'm not caning it.

    I'm not running at all at the moment, because, by running in my present state, I'll be teaching my body to run slowly,which I don't want.

    When my arms allow (the canula is starting to give the veins in my lower arms substantial grief), I do a bit of upper body work and core work. It's not much, but it keeps my body from totally forgetting what it's all about.

    My chemotherapy will probably finish in June as they're extending my break periods due to my poor reaction tothe bone marrow jab.

    Good luck,


  • Douglas,

    It's always difficult to know what to say without it sounding wrong, but you should know from the viewing figures on this thread that people are willing you to get better. Who cares if it's level one or two on the bike? The important thing is that you are able to do it at all. You know your capabilities and hopefully you know when to rest.

    I didn't know that the body learns to run slowly. Must be where I went wrong!image

    God bless and sending you best wishes!

  • Douglas, Lorra

    Well done, keep up the good work.I,m sure your positive attitude is helping.

  • Douglas

    I am not one for reading threads, blogs and all the other wonderful things that go on in cyberspace but your one really shows me how much wonderful support, advice and caring people can receive through sharing their experiences in this way.  It is truly inspirational and I hope that as well as helping you and your PMA it gives everyone a boost especially Lorra, slow runners, fast runners, new runners, swimmers, bikers and all those who take some form of exercise as part of their life.

     Gina x

  • Hi folks,

    Well, I'm exactly halfway through initial plan of chemotherapy. On the day after tomorrow I have another double dose (as always, subject to passing blood test).

    This dose should be OK as my right arm is still in good working order. The veins in my left arm have gone all funny and there's no way that anyone could stick a cannula into them. I'm curious as to what they'll do if my right arm goes wonky as well.

    Onto running slowly........................... I'm a member of a small running group and we employ a South African trainer/coach to help us. We spend a fair amount of time practicing good running form.

    One of his mantras is that running is "controlled falling". Stand on one leg and raise the other leg so that thigh is parallel to ground. Lean slightly forward; you will start to topple and you'll have to lower the raised leg to prevent one falling flat on one's face. That, I am told, is the mechanics of running. I believe that this is a variation on the "Pose" method of running, which is a whole subject in itself and some people don't agree with it. Any views?

    Popular trick question by our coach:

    Q. How many legs does one run on?

    A. One

     Another trick question (usually asked after running question):

    Q. How many arms does one swim front crawl with?

    A. Two

    Most of our group are now getting the answers to these two questions right, though it has taken some time!imageimageimage

    Keep well everyone,


    aka Leaping Wolf

  • now I'm really confused. image

    I hope you go on ok this week with the chemo Douglas. keeping the arms nice and warm during administration of the drugs may help the veins. also, make sure you are well hydrated. the theory behind this advice is to ensure that the nasty chemicals join a brisk bloodflow in a nice big vein, thereby not spending too much time hanging around irritating the vessel wall.

    good luck


  • Half way now, and you're doing great! Between your PMA and everyones best wishes on the forum, the FLM 2009 will be a doddle for you. Good luck, keep smiling, and remember we're behind you every step of the way!
  • Doug - hope it goes OK, sounds like you are doing great!  WTK is talking good advice.  Re veins, don't worry, try and keep them going, but there are ways around it, so don't worry about it image


  • Didn,t have your problem myself Douglas as I had a pemanent line in the vein for six months,but the people who had chemo at the same time as me were given a bowl of hot water to put their hand in before the canula was put in.may be worth a try.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

    Half way? that means that it's downhill all the way from here!

    I echo the comments about veins. There are ways round the situation if neccessary if needed so don't sweat it.

    Wishing you well for this week's treatment.

  • Good luck for tomororow xxx
  • My first post here, but about my milliionth lurk!!!

    Good luck for tomorrow Douglas - think of it has the mid-point in a run, you're home the home straight now image

    Re: the 'falling over' to run forwards thing...
    I teach people to regain their walking skills, preferably without limping [never mastered it myself though!] and that is exactly how I help them understand that it's OK to take that first wobbling, terrifying step - walking IS a controlled falling forwards.

    Thanks for being so inspiring Douglas - it's a priviledge to read your thread.
    Limps x

  • Should read "you're ON the home straight now"


  • Well that's the first dose of the fourth (out of six) cycle done. They've lowered the injected steroid dose by 50% and I'm only to take the Dexamethasone (another steroid) if feeling nauseous. I'm hoping to rely on Granisetron and Metoclopramide for nausea and Voltarol for wonky veins.

    These steroids are not pleasant to take. If you read a book, you want to watch a film; if you watch a film, you want to talk to people; if you talk to people, you want to have a nap; if you have a nap, you want to read a book. Basically whatever you'e doing, you last about a minute before deciding that you want to do something else. It's a very weird feeling, though easier to cope with if one understands that it's only the steroids. It's also pretty mild compared to what some people have to go through whilst having chemotherapy.

    Thanks WTK and Slugsta for the advice on veins. It may be coincidence but, on my pre-wonky vein chemo session, I had reduced dose of post-chemo saline (it was a new nurse).

    I made sure that I had the full post-chemo saline this time and actually had an extra half bag to be on the safe side.

    I also continue to be grateful that I haven't had to have surgery or radiotherapy. Towards the end of 2007 and pre-collapsing, I said to myself that 2007 was one of the best years of my life. Because I was diagnosed in 2007, I stand by that statement. If I hadn't started to collapse etc, my lung cancer would have been undiagnosed until a much later date and the prognosis might well have been a lot worse.

    Three cheers for collapsing and losing one's voiceimageimageimageimageimage.

    Thanks again for all your support.imageimageimageimage


  • ((((((Douglas)))))))

    I'm thinking of you a lot .   Get some R&R over the weekend and relax as much as the steroids will allow!

    Jiggi xxx 

  • Douglas

    I love your description of what it is like to be on steroids, image.

    hope the veins are better this time.


  • Yay another dose done and dusted! Big hugs from me and my fellow Cumbrian running buddies, have a nice weekend Douglas image
  • Have a good Easter, Doug and everyone

    Keep smiling image

  • Just dropping in to say "keep well" to Douglas, and to Lorra if you are lurking here.

    keep in touch


  • I agree with Walktallkate, i hope you are both well and keeping strong x
  • Thanks again for all your kind thoughts.

    My initial views on the new low steroid regime were extremely positive until the nausea started to gain a hold in addition to feeling frozen to the core. Two heat pads, duvet, socks and triple pyjamas made no difference. This was not pleasant imageimageimage and ended with a lengthy kneeling in front of the white throne.

    The nausea stopped: my core heated up and within a very short space of time I was 95% as right as rain.imageimageimage

    A telephone call elicited the information that my dinner companion had shared a similar fate. This implies that simple food poisoning was the problem and that it was unfair to blame my life-saving chemo.

    So I'm now feeling extremely pleased that the low steroid regime may be OK after all.imageimageimageimage

    I have my single chemo dose tomorrow (blood test permitting) and then I'll be exactly two thirds of the way through my initial planned treatment. I use the words initial planned treatment, because I haven't asked the oncologist what happens after my six cycles.

    It's very strange (I guess it's called acceptance), but I have very little curiousity about what the doctors have planned for me. This actually makes life very easy, because I'm not in a state of perpetual worry about what they're going to say or do next. I hope that my lack of curiousity continues.

    Thanks again folks,


  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    glad that you're feeling better, Douglas. I guess it's normal to blame the chemo until proven otherwise!
  • I had a routine meeting with my oncologist yesterday. As I'm two thirds of the way through my initial, and hopefully only, course of treatment, he started talking about the next phase.

    Shortly after the end of the treatment I'll have a scan. These scans are only accurate down to tens of millions of cells so they can't guarantee that the treatment has got every last cell. I guess it's all down to statistics.

    He advised me that the scan may still show a tumour, but hopefully all the cells in it are either dead or dying.

    I can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but one of the reasons why I had such an early diagnosis was the fact that I lost my voice. This was something to do with the cancer (either a tumour or lymph node adenopathy; I haven't asked which) pressing on the nerve that leads to my vocal cords. My voice is slowly improving though I wouldn't get a job as a sergeant major.

    It was a very strange period when I couldn't talk. I play brimageidge once or twice a week and I resorted to writing my pithy comments on the state of play on little cards, which I held up when approriate, or, as often as not, when inappropriate.

    My oncologist also advised that there are plans B and C in the event of plan A not working. I didn't ask what they were as, at this stage, I don't need to know.

    I am full of admiration for all the medical team helping me. The previous patient before me had just been told that their case was terminal. That must be very difficult for all concerned.

    Now the weather is getting better and I'm feeling better, I'm planning to go on my first run in Richmond Park on Sunday. It won't be very fast, but it'll be good to sniff the air.imageimageimageimage

    I'm also doing more weights in the gym and it's good to feel that post exercise burn the next day.imageimageimageimage

    Keep well everyone,


  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

    Good to hear from you Douglas.

    I had a prolonged bout of laryngitis at the end of last year and really got fed up with not being able to talk (my family and friends loved it though!). I do sympathise with your loss of voice and am glad to hear that things are improving.

    PLease continue to let us know how you are getting on.

  • Douglas, Good to hear things are progressing,

     I've been following your posts since the turn of the year and was starting to get concerned that we'd not heard from you for a few days,your philosophical approach to what must be an extremely challanging situation is inspirational.

    Keep well and don't overdo it on Sunday !

     All the best,


  • Oh Douglas! Had first chemo on Monday. Unfortunately my 3 different types of anti-nausea drugs didn't work. Starting to go out and about again. Its a hugh effort but it does make me feel better - especially as such a lovely sunny day. Got to have white blood cell boosting injections for 5 days. Shame I have a needle phobia. At least one down and get two weeks respite before round 2.

    Have a good run on Sunday.

  • Douglas - delighted to hear that you feel well enough to go for a run on Sunday -that is brilliant news!

    My OH dreams about me not being able to talk....image

    Lorra- keep posting! Everyone wishes you well on here.xx

  • Lorra,

    I'm sorry that you're having grief with nausea. I guess that both the chemo and the anti-nausea pills affect everyone differently.

    Good luck with the white blood cell boosting jab. Although I had grief, it doesn't affect everyone as badly. My initial anti-bone pain tablets didn't work so I moved onto stuff called Tramadol, which was quite effective. Tramadol did make me sleepy and constipated. I took an entire bottle of Lactulose to no avail!imageimageimage

    I'm not entirely happy with needles either. I look away from whatever bit of me that they're jabbing and concentrate really, really hard on being totally relaxed.

    Good luck with it all.


  • Douglas and all the other cancer sufferers on this thread,

    I have just read most of your story and I must admit it brought back a few memories of chemo (I had a Seminoma in 04/05 but I was unaware until I collapsed with the latest of a number of blood clots on the lungs).

    Good on you for keeping as active and as fit as possible.

    I found that the anti sickness steroids caused dramatic weight gain (6 stone in 4 months and a further 4 stone over the next 8 months) - and don't the cancer hospitals serve the most calorie laden food you have ever seen in your life ! ! !

    I now go swimming every lunchtime and manage a stuttering 3 mile run along the clifftop and back on the sand every night; the weight is falling off and i'm beginning to feel (and look) like me again.

    I wish you all the very best for the rest of your treatment and trust that Plan A works as your oncologist expects, but at least it's good to know there's a Plan B and Plan C.

  • Bomo,

    Glad to hear that you got through your treatment............I presume that, if you were treated in 2005, you're about three years into the magic "five years and you're clear".

    Like you I got the munchies after the steroids, but now I'm on a reduced steroid dose that effect has gone away. I've put on about half a stone since starting chemo, but as I was a serious racing snake in 2007, many people are saying that I look a lot better now that I've got a little padding.

    Brilliant news that you're in into a weight loss zone. Once you've established a steady regime, it's only a matter of time before you hit your target weight.

    I lost 30lbs in 2006. I was perpetually very slightly hungry, but the minor hunger pangs were easily outweighed by the positive story that my scales were telling. I became quite obsessive about doing a daily mental calories in versus calories out calculation..........and it worked. I averaged a daily calory deficit of around 300 calories a day.

    Your regime of daily swimming and running sounds perfect. A three mile run alone consumes 300 plus calories. Good luck in getting returning to mean, lean running machine mode.

    All the best,


    PS If you decide that you want to swim the Channel, it may be best to retain a winter coat and not lose too much padding!imageimageimageimageimageimage

Sign In or Register to comment.