Crowborough 10k

Anyone doing this run this year??

I did it last year for the first time and think it must be one of the hardest 10k runs around, Palesgate Lane is a killer hill and then knowing that once is bad, you have to attempt it again.

I nearly managed to run up it on the first lap but had to zig-zag up the road to get past people that were walking but had to walk it myself on the second lap, so that will be my goal for this year is to try to run up the hill, not sure about twice though.

Comments

• 5 or 6 from our running club doing it this year. The course is a killer but I think the attraction is a really nice lunch afterwards in an excellent pub fairly local !!!
  • Just how steep is the hill i.e. gradient, and how long is the ascent?
  • I can't say for sure MR. F  but it is probably about 1/2 mile long (maybe shorter)  but it is steep probably around a 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 gradient.

The Start of the run is in Beacon School (my old school) and it is down hill for the first mile or so, which tells you something isn't right then you turn down Palesgate Lane and it is downhill to start with, then there is a little ford to contend with (if it's not been raining some will run through it but if it has been raining then there is a bridge to use) then it's uphill and if like mentioned earlier it's been (or is) raining then it can be like a river running down the road.

Glyn.

• Hi, first attempt at Crowborough 10km and tried a practice run up Palesgate lane and boy it is going to be very hard, will keep to the side so people can run past me!  Get the feeling that will be coming in last or nearly last
  • Hi Caroline,

Trust me you wont be the only one walking up the hill, shame not everyone thinks like you about keeping to the side of the road.

Good luck.

• Won't be able to do this one on Sunday, have other commitments that take priority.  Next year, maybe.
  • Hi

Is it ok to enter on the day.  left it too late to enter online, image Doh!!!!

If I can dont worry caroline, I'll be last!

• Yes I spoke to them on Friday and I also will be entering on the day, good luck with the "hill" people make it out to be a killer how bad is it ??
  • Hi, having done a dummy run it really is a killer hill.  Starts off vaguely alright but then round a corner and steep just doesn't do it justice!  By the sounds of there will be a queue of people to the side walking up it!
  • Hi, getting cold feet about the whole event, I don't normally mind hills but it sounds like this one could get the better of me and if the weather forecast is correct its going to be murder.  Looks like I'll either be at the side walking up the hill or stuck at home being chicken thinking about it.

• C'mon Janice, dont be chicken.  Even if the forecast is right its only water!!!!

Would you say that this hill is worse than the fordcombe hill in the T.Wells 1/2?

• Hey everyone... how can anyone be thinking of stealing prodigious last place from me - an ex-asthmatic with back problems - image - still I will be there come rain or shine (yeah, right) and I hope you all have inflatable kayaks for the ford and paddling up Palesgate Lane?

Whatever happens it will make the rest of the Sunday seem positively lovely, won't it.

Dominic (No. 381) 

• HI I am totally terrified. I am brand new to running, having only completed 1 10k in summer ( which was flat) . Persuded by friends to go  on this as a group of 5 of us. There is now only my brother and myself still going. Can I ask any one for some honest advice. ... is this course/ race mainly running club competitors ?? Would I make it  even though I only run  a 5 mile regulary.

Please calm me ,Philippaimage

• Well said.  I haven't done the T/Wells 1/2 but from what i know of the area i would say that Palesgate lane is steeper than Fordcombe but it isn't that long, short and deadly so to speak. 

If nothing else come and join the resy of us getting wet and having a "swimming" time in the fordimage (i know there is a bridge but that isn't as fun!)

XX

• Hi Philippa, I am not part of a running club and only run small amounts normally.  It will be great fun (although never done before).  Come and have a laugh with us and make the other 3 feel really bad they let you down!!
  • Thank you so much Caroline, watch out for me climbing that hill I am 168 . See you tomorow. Philippa

• Phillipa & Dominic

I do run regularly and longer distances but VERY VERY slowly, thanks to being 3 st overweight and asthamatic and still smoking 20 fags a day.  If you have to walk up the hill - so what - at least you will be able to say I DID IT!!!!!

Personally, i like it wet and muddy, much more fun than boring dry and flat.

• Meant to ask if someone can give me directions from T. Wells, hardly ever go to crowborough.  Where do i go from the crossroads????

Ta x

• I'd look at RAC Routefinder... that's how I found the route from Hove. I prefer that to TomTom as wasn't it satnav that sent loads of people into a ford last year... how ironic!

Dom 

• Ok, time to stop moaning about the weather and hill and just get on with it, so what if I do mess my hair up.  Look forward to seeing you all on the hill tomorrow then.
  • Hi Philippa, i have found my number (forgot i needed it!) and for some reason i am number 4 - slightly too keen to do the race i think.  For all those who finish really early (looked at past times and first place was any where from 33 min - 35mins) well done as i will be more likely to do it in 1 hour and 30 mins - i hope!
  • Well that was soooooooo much fun i can't tell you!  Very glad i did it and managed to finish it, but could the weather have been any worse?

Never mind a race that can be ticked off the list and never to be repeated!  Well done to everyone who took part.

• well done how was your time, I think we were luckly with the weather the drive home was murder I did it in 59:28 so broke the hour so am happy I did it
  • i think i did it in around 1 hour 15 mins. very pleased as had 1 hour 30 to do it.
  • Wow that was an experience, made it, can't say I enjoyed the hill, but on a positive note there can't be many that hard and that you have to do twice.  I managed to get round in 57.47, so quite happy with that, all things considered.  I would agree the weather did get worse on the way back to Pevensey.  I'm glad I did it and would certainly do it again.  Good on everybody who turned up and gave it a go.
  • Well done everyone.  I cant wait to do it again next year!!!image

Caroline, I dont think the weather could've been much worse, the wind actually blew me backwards at one point so i was running on the spot (just before going under the bridge for the second time) and a gust of wind at the top of the hill sent me into the hedge!

I did it in just under 1:07 so pleased with that.  I ran up the hill the 1st time but walked 1/2 of it the 2nd time.

I want to do it again and i want to be under 1 hour (giving up smoking tomorrw, nicotine patches at the ready).

Well done everyone

• Well done everyone! Is there anywhere that the times are posted or do we just work out from people posting their own times against a list of finishers where we came - I don't have a Garmin/watch and didn't want to get my non-waterproof mobile out to check the time.

My fave bit was thinking: "Won't kick off for the sprint at the end yet as haven't seen the 9k marker yet" and then turning the corner to see the school gates... must have been the rain in my eyes.

Definitely one to do next year and to sadistically invite running friends to as well!

Thanks to everyone on support in the kitchens and all the marshalls too - a great, well organised run all round!

Dom 

• Hi Dom, Crowborough runners have their own website and the results will be published there but I don't know when.  http://www.crowboroughrunners.org.uk/ should take you there and then follow the links. Hope this helps,

Caroline

• Wow, what a race! I loved the down hill, enjoyed splashing my way through the ford, cursed the hills and battled the gale force winds.. but I was still smiling at the end.

Thank you to all the marshalls who stood outside for hours in the rain and wind. 

• HIya,

Photos from the race are up on www.antbliss.com we got pretty wet through too, but it was good to see so many of you at the finish with a smile on your faces !

We had a good 6hrs at the computer afterwards sorting out the photos and drying out afterwards... Hopefully the cold won't come !

cheers

WTP