Bootsie - 712- hope to finish in 2 hrs!
    Brooks - sub 1:20
    Hess - sub 1:25
    Keith L - 70-75 mins
    Little Nemo - #879 hope to finish in 1:50-2:00
    Mitten - #??? time???
    RichardW 708 - Something under 1:30 will be expected
    Shiva  -# 1152 probaly 1:15-1:20
    Tim of MK - #1191  -  1:22 - 1:25   (all in black)
    Trigger2 - #1063 (I think) - hopefully 1.45 - 2.00
    Trickster - #1482 (or something like that), Pirate top (possibly) - 1:30 - 1:40-ish

Morning......... don't fancy this at all image

• Good weather for it today.  did anyone else get sent the wrong way near the end?  FInished in just under 62 but should have been 30-40 seconds quicker and would have been but for the detour!  Bloody annoying! 
  • Well done on a great time DrBob, being sent the wrong way is all part of the handicap system for being too quick  I'm afraid!

Was a good race and ideal conditions apart from the unavoidable puddles and resulting wet feet. About 1:18 ish for me and unfortunatley I can't knock any time off for unscheduled detours!

• Dr Bob, can relate to that. At about 9 miles the left turn could have been a right. Think the marshall went AWOL? Was left with the situation of shouting to some chap in the distance who had a sporty looking coat on to ask if this was the route. He didn't know - so choice of left proved lucky as 100m later refound civilisation. Rather took the wind out of my sails. Otherwise good conditions and enjoyed the event.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Great time DrBob - think I agree with aviator that if you are so bliming fast what bdo you expect image but well done.

First time I have done this but thought it was really well organised (as did not suffer the detour) and a great course for a PB - which I was guaranteed anyway as my first 10 miler image

Course was nice and flat and aprt from the odd sharp bend with muddy corners a great one.

Did it in 5 seconds over 70 minutes - annoyed about the 5 seconds but cant really complain about that.

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did and thanks to all the people I chatted to on the way around.

Thanks also to the marshalls and organisers

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Race report as I've just posted on my Tri-club site.

Target: Finish
    Result: Did not http://www.shirestriers.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Not much I can say really………

1st mile – started feeling a bit rubbish, nothing specific but just a bit odd.
    2nd mile – ok-ish. Still not great but not feeling any worse.
    3-4 – going downhill (me, not the route!). Strange tingling in arms http://www.shirestriers.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Mile 5 marshal point – better stop or I’m going to end up on the floor!!!

Reflection: First ever DNF - rather peeved! Good 13m last Sunday in marathon training. Not sure what was up today.

Very good turn out by Tring RC though, with a couple of pb's I think. Weather was lovely http://www.shirestriers.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, got Watford to look forward to in a few weeks http://www.shirestriers.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
    Off to sleep for the rest of the afternoon zzz zzz

Nice to see you briefly Brooks, did you have a good run?

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Had a good time today, wasn't sure what sort of form I was In due to being forced to have a year off, so was pleased to do 1:11, a bit more work and I can get sub 70 again, but probably a year or so off challenging my pb.  Really enjoyed the route, I also got confused which way to go at about 9 miles but a policeman pointed me in the right direction.

A good race

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Ummm, copying smileys doesnt work that well then??!!??
  • Paul, I've been trying to work out exactly where we went wrong, but my brain wasn't really focussed on anything except following the guy in front of me.  We pottered past some shops, through some bollards and round a roundabout to see the rest of the field crossing the road right ahead of us.  It wasn't a huge detour, but when you've worked hard in training and manage to beat your PB you don't really want any extra distance.

I think overall it was a great race and a nearly perfect day for it, the tracks and pavements worked really well and the marshalling was 99% excellent.

Mitten, much better to pull out than end up being a casualty!  There'll be other races to do this year so don't worry about it.

Nice running Keith!  Just over 70 for your first 10 is excellent stuff.

• I enjoyed this race for the second time today, but was disappointed by the lack of organisation at the end.  At 1 hour 40 there were no souvenir water bottles left, and they had almost run out of plastic cups and drinking water.  Surely this is a fundamental mistake from the striders?  Did anyone else at the end of the pack have the same experience? Excellent marshaling made up for it though so I will be back next year.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Alexandra - for whats it worth I didnt see any evidence of souvenir water bottles either at teh 70 minute mark. Thought it was just the medal! But as the race was I think only £9 I wasnt too miffed. Anything other than a medal falls largely into the superfluous (spelling?) category anyway - apart from the odd decent t shirt! 
  • Not a bad race.

Really enjoyed the course (if  a little muddy but who can predict the weather) except for the twists and turns.

Chip timing was great; I thought the organisation in the hall was excellent.

Never saw any water bottles but there was water at the end. It looked a little bit of a nightmare getting water at the 4 mile mark though.

Nice to get a pb on a local course. Good to hear about the positive remarks, hope the others try again next year.

Well done Striders, same again next year!!

• Your right Keith, I was in it for the running not the prize! Mayb I was wrong about the water bottels.

• Sorry awful spelling, will put it down to tiredness!
  • Brian JBrian J ✭✭✭
    Alexandra, I've done this now the last couple of years and got a water bottle last year and a medal this year. A  lady who finished just in front of me got a spot prize - good that they save some for the slower runners.
  • Conditions were not great.   A lot of this run was along predominantly muddy and uneven paths, made worse by lying water. The strong wind didn't help either.   All a very, very alien environment to a 100% gym 'bunny' like me.

So, given the above,  I'm was really  pleased with today's time (stop-watch) of 81.32 and a negative split.

I am pretty tired, but then I have had a string of late nights and poor sleep.

Also, my legs are 'complaining', but I knew in advance that was the price that  I'd pay for only doing short treadmill runs in training.

Mile splits - 8.34 / 8.02 / 8.16 / 8.16 / 7.56 / 8.02 / 8.06 / 8.20 / 8.16 / 7.44.  

The 'slow' first mile was definitely the result of congestion at the start.  I've no excuses for the rest.

Well done to all. 

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I still feel rubbish now, so probably made the right decision.

Sitting in the Raynet van (waiting for my lift back) I did hear all the confusion on the radio over the wrong turn image

Well done to all who had a good run.

• The absolute high point of the day for me was the post-race refreshments room.  I've never seen such a mind-boggling selection of savouries and pastries.   Needless to say,  I downed a huge slice of flapjack in double quick time.   

• Brian JBrian J ✭✭✭
    Mitten, I was going well until mile eight and hit some kind of 'wall' like you describe. Maybe need to carry a sports drink or one of those gels, but I didn't think you'd need those for a ten miler.I slowed down a bit and made it over the finish but don't think I could have gone much further. I agree with Tim - felt fine after some chocolate cake!
  • great run!! really enjoyed it for my first 10 miler and didn't come last!
  • Bootsie - didn't see you!  Did 1:45 as predicted and was really pleased with that - no water bottles that I saw either and I almost didn't get a medal as I walked past them in my quest for water at the end!
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

BrianJ, sorry you also had a bad race - well done for hanging on though image

I had cake after a rest on my return to the school, but didn't feel any better for it & am still not great now. Think I'm coming down with something........... I wish it would hurry up as I hate this 'sort-of-but-not-quite-ill'!!!

• Does anyone know when the chip times will be published and where?
  • Brian JBrian J ✭✭✭
    Mitten, Actually I should get a PB - I was going really great until mile eight, then had to cling on the rest of the way so I am pleased overall image . Sorry you had a hard time today - hope you bounce back at Watford. Commiserations also to some of the faster guys who were misdirected. I know one guy would have gone under the hour for the first time if he had been sent the right way at mile 9.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Hertshoney - chip timings will be published on the club website - no indication of when they will be up but I guess tomorrow/tuesday?

http://www.stalbansstriders.com/fredhughes.htm 

How did u do?

trigger2 well done for being spot on predicted time

• Given that my focus is distance not speed I knew I'd not pb (or even beat last year's time) but wasn't overly happy to get round in 1.29 (esp after 35.5km on the bike yesterday).  Major frustration for me with this race is the congestion at the start.  I was already a minute off pb pace at the 1 mile mark and I didn't really get properly into stride until nearly the 2 mile mark.

Definitely a lot soggier underfoot than last year.

Glad to see the dreadful water bottles were replaced by a rather nice medal this year.

Having done my customary sprint for the line I was seriously heaving (thank goodness for breakfast being nearly 4 hours before!)  in the funnel so was not a happy camper to have to wait so long for a cup of water.

• trigger!! i finished in 1 hr 45 mins exactly too!!! really enjoyed every bit of especially the final mile!!  very proud of my first 10 mile!
  • i did it in 1.40 by my watch - it was really muggy to start off with, but it was well organised and i'd do it again, thanks for letting me know about the chip results.
  • Hi all. A great opening for my first ever 10 mile event. I decided I would weat my pirate gear but to save people I did wear running shorts over the tri shorts. Gonna make it - good to meet you before and at the start. Realistically I wanted to find out how far outside 90 mins I would be, with a goal for the future a sub 90 mins. Managed to come in about 1.28-something. Very pleased. Thought my watch was wrong all the way round after I kept doing sub-9 miles. I also beat the couple in FVS Tri tops - 1-0 to the Pirates (although I did sit in behind them into the headwind up to the second drinking station)!

I thought the organisation was superb - a large number of marshalls, many of whom had to double up which must have taken some great briefings by the race director so they knew where they had to be when (one small mess up at the front of the field unfortunately). Also good raynet coverage and plenty of police to stop the traffic.

Apparently I finished 2 mins behind Graham '3 yellow cards' Poll according to a mate who saw me at the end (he'd already come in in 76 mins).

The only downside for me was the lack of parking, but in every other respect it was great.

Mitten - commiserations in popping your DNF cherry (I popped my DNS cherry recently)

It looked a little bit of a nightmare getting water at the 4 mile mark though.

Was fine when I went through a little bit later

Conditions were not great....The strong wind didn't help either

Have to disagree - I thought the weather was almost ideal, apart from a few places of headwind towards the latter part of the course - in the main we were sheltered from the worst of it.

Maybe need to carry a sports drink or one of those gels, but I didn't think you'd need those for a ten miler

Brian - we're all different. I tend to need them at anything much over an hour, so took a gel just after the second drinks station today. I also noticed at least one other person with one.

• Saw a pirate at the finish - should have come over to say hello but you were chatting.