Winter clothing

I ma new to this running lark, and currently I am still using basic tracksuit bottoms and an old sweatshirt. On my last run I felt a but cold, once the sweat on my back started cooling me down. What do people recommend for running on cold nights? Just an extra t-shirt, thermal vests, or something else?

Cheers

Jon. 

Comments

• A really good long-sleeved technical base-layer with a high-viz gilet for me - I like the Arc'teryx Rho tops, which are hideously expensive (£70) but warm and wicking. Gore do good long-sleeved tops too, and lots of people swear by the less expensive ones from Aldi, Lidl and Decathlon. Or there's good old Helly Hansen ...

And proper running tights, or tracksters over shorts if you don't like the lycra look image

It's well worth investing in good-quality wicking kit that won't get heavy, cold and damp with sweat.

• anything technical is good to run in - aldi kit is fantastic value as is the decathlon stuff. Cotton isnt good as it takes ages to dry - it holds the sweat in. Jjb have fluo gilets for under a tenner too !
  • Thanks for the advice. But what is "wicking"?
  • Hi

iv just encountered this problem,so i bought a light weight running jacket from decathlan for a £10, wind proof and shower proof only, still only in my shorts legs not cold yet.

you will also need the running T shirts they start from  about a £5 in decathlan they are made from material that take the sweat away from the body so you wont cool down, tracksuits,cotton etc no good for running in.

Im not an advert for Decathlan its just  thats about my budget for running gear at the mo.

• "Wicking" means that the fabric actively transports sweat away from your body so that you stay relatively dry. Certain synthetic and wool-based fabrics will do this. Cotton gets sodden and is useless, polycotton only marginally less so.
  • Wicking means the fabric is effective at moisture transportation, so sweat produced by bodyheat during exercise is transferred through the fabric easily to the outside for evaporation. Rather than being trapped by the layers of fabric and creating wetness and heaviness (as cotton does).
  • Depends on how hot/cold you get,

I've tried all sorts of cold weather gear, I have the problem that after about a mile I'm overheating in anything more than a T shirt or vest. I'm don't know if this is rare, but I rarely see other runners running in vests and shorts in minus temperatures, as I do, so I guess it is. 

• Normally run in knee length loose shorts and cotton t-shirt.  Been running in this all summer (no problems) and until this Thursday, all winter too!

However, went out Thursday night and nearly got frostbite!  I walk for about 4 minutes before I start to run and I nearly died this week.  Got so cold, could only run for 1 mile before turning back!  I was aiming for 6!!!

So yesterday I went into town and looked at what was available.  Bought a hi-viz gillet from jjb sports (£8), then a technical wicking long sleeve top (£15) and pair of ron hill tracksters (£25) from my local sports shop.

Wore it all out last night with my long shorts over the tracksters - all black so not too noticable.

I normally get overwarm when wearing more than t-shirt, but last night was ok.  It wasn't freezing like on Thursday, so will have to test again later in week, but definately an improvement.

Got several months of cold running ahead, so worth the investment at this stage.

•  Hi,

I run/walk in the evenings and wear a short sleeved base layer, a windproof jacket (old uniform 'borrowed' from old job so has logos plastered all over, but is Helly Hansen so good quality) and a pair of leggings from the M&S view from range (a few years old, but do the job as are synthetic fibre and not keen on too much lycra as still too many wobbly bits!)

I also wear thin fleecy gloves and a Buff giraffe scarf as a hat. It's great as they're half fleece and half thin stretchy fabric so I double it up into a hat - my head doesn't overheat, and it can't fall off/over my eyes as it's closefitting.

Start off feeling a little bit chilly but by the time I've started running I'm lovely and toasty.

Although I may be having to invest in a long sleeved base layer soon if it gets much colder.

Most importantly, make sure you've got some reflective stuff - it's amazing how few drivers can see you. My routes are well lit and on wide pavements/footpaths, but I wear one of the over the shoulder reflective bands and have a flashing light on a band which I put around my upper arm. Probably look like a walking christmas tree but I do feel safer.

Go with what feels comfortable, not what looks fashionable

• I love my Gore jacket & leggings, Windproof even against the wind ripping in off the North Sea. Under Armour compression shirts for a base layer. But the cheapest solution that makes the biggest difference is a hat & gloves. Never leave home without them image
  • I would love some gore stuff but it seems very expensive.  Would you say its worth the extra cash?  Where is the best place to buy it?
  • I swear by Gore, you get what you pay for. As I've posted elsewhere, I was caught in a whiteout on top of Lochnagar last winter and thanks to my Gore stuff I wasn't at all cold. If I'd had a pair of goggles I'd have been fine image.

I've got my stuff from various running shops, usually in their sales. Wiggle sell it on line. Likeys do some excellent winter gear too.

• Hi Jon

There's no right answer to this because it depends on your physiology but I personally always wear a technical tee-shirt. Apart from that though, and of course my running shoes, I don't wear anything "technical" and just wear whatever keeps me warm for the time of year.

I usually run in a cheap (£6.00) but warm Umbro sweatshirt at this time of year with a pair of fleece gloves and I find that that keeps me at just the right temperature after about the first quarter mile or so when I've got nicely warmed-up. I wear cheap, mesh-lined football shorts for running all year round because they're comfortable and I don't feel silly in them! On real cold days, you can't beat a woolly hat!

To help you judge, I generally run 5 miles, two or three times a week and run about an 8-minute mile.