friday16th november 2007

Comments

• hilly
    The attachment is an excel spreadsheet.  If that's no good I can paste it straight onto an email or into Word?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If it's not too much trouble 200 paste it into an email might be easier.  Cheers.
  • Good afternoon

Super busy at work this morning as boss has big Board event tomorrow.  However he is off in 1/2 hour or so and then it's relax all the way to 5.

Right now Paris is my backstop marathon but I haven't looked into cash flows yet.  I love Paris so won't be gutted if FLM doesnn't work out and I can afford to travel.

What:  the 1.5 mile bus stop run d&D, 10.5 miles home

Why:  schedule long run day

Last hard:  last Friday

Last rest:  2 days

Last lyrics:  6 days

I've got my gloves and hat ready for the journey home, brrr

• Afternoon.

Hilly it was me who asked for the difference between recovery runs and easy runs..thanks,

My marathon schedule doesnt seem to call for track sessions so I will give the fridays a miss..feels strange though, but I must admit the session on a friday for me is actually easier for me to follow...a steady run of 8 miles today...building up to a medium long run of 13-14 miles later the schedule...track sessions always wipe me out as it falls after a night shift and before my last night shift and I can still feel them on my legs on the sunday LSR...I will do my fast pace run with club on a wednesday...so lots of long slowish miles...image

What : 8 miles staedy

Why: scedule

Last hard : 6 days

Last rest: 5 days

off now before it gets too dark...and its only 14.30...image

• nice one hilly, it'll be a refreshing change for you to run a different marathon and i believe it's a lovely place for a break, i love combining hols with races

Nightnurse are you doing FLM or a different marathon?
    which schedule did you decide to follow?
    with the track sessions i used to do them on thursday and was just about ok for sunday but did it earlier in the week if there was a race on sunday. i'm not surprised you're whacked doing them friday after a nightshift

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    clink you're right it is quite a long xctry and they are not starting it till 3! It may be dark by t he time I get back...
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • afternoon all
    not had time to get online in last few days, real life has intruded somewhat. still been out in the mornings (brrr for the last two days) admiring the starts and trying not to run into any street furniture as a result

hope all are well
  • Afternoon all,

Scooby:  Be careful with the EMU oil - you could end up running FLM like Bernie Clifton

Flyaway:  Did you see the documentary about the blind guy climbing Everest?

Wabo:  A good incentive to run fast then image

I think the marketing guys at Hoover have obviously missed a trick. 

For me, recovery runs are when it says "Recovery" on the P&D schedule.  Although, I rarely run them significantly slower, and they end up as general aerobic sessions. 

• What:  10m recovery/general aerobic
    • Why:  building up the mileage
    • Last Hard:  Yesterday
    • Last Rest: 16 days

Have a good weekend!

• Afternoon everyone, a bit cold today, glad I won't be togging myself up later for a chilly run!

Last night was a good run with the club as a certain other (2nd claim) member wasn't there, so the pace was challengingly do-able at a steady 7.30min miling, including some of the hills of Barnsley. My endurance is coming back also, as when I get to 40mins, I get like a second wind and can keep pushing the pace through the hour. All the summer biking of doing the coast to coast, etc, has increased my endurance and my running muscles are catching up, I reckon.

What: a gymbike session then pilates
    Why: cross training and running rest
    Last hard: last night
    Last rest: Sunday

BR/hilly - thanks for the running invite. I've got an invite to do a steady 10-12M tomorrow morning now, so thanks anyway! Well done on the Paris entry and for having a go at the language!

There was talk last night of me doing a marathon in the new year (possibly White Peak), and predictions on what I could get..... I stated that I just want to do the distance to see if I can exorcise old demons. If I beat 4:16:32 then that's great; if I have a nightmare again then I'll just realise that the marathon isn't for me and stick to shorter distances! 

• Question for today: What pace do you mean by 'steady',  if hard or tempo is c 10ml pace or  c 90% WHR and recovery is c 65%,, I guess it's somewhere between, but that still leaves a very wide gap. Define in terms of %HR or racepace + x secs/mins.

What: 10.6ml inc 2 x 3ml tempo; later 3.4ml recovery
    Why: best day for me to fit in the session
    Very pleased to find about 30sec/ml improvement for same HR from about 6-8weeks ago.

• I am interested in people's thoughts on recovery/easy/long run paces.

I can sort of understand the logic behind the "run lots of slow miles" approach, which when combined with speedwork is supposed to lead to faster long distance times.  But I can also see AF's (and others) point of view, that running lots of long slow miles trains you to run long but slow.

Some training plans I have seen take my HM time and then suggest long run paces of nearly 10 min/mile, a pace at which I find it impossible to move.  If I find I can fairly easily at 8:30 per mile, should I use that pace and run much faster in speed sessions?  For example I had no difficulty running 800m reps in 3:15-3:20 (when I say no difficulty I mean I could have done more, not that I wasn't working hard).

• Just to follow up Dustin's post...I'll be cheering England as loudly on Wednesday as I'll be cheering Scotland tomorrow (well only if Russia do the business in Tel Aviv!!!) ;o)

Re steady pace...I reckon it's the most difficult one to define, so I think a lot of my runs tend to fall into this category...don't have a clue about HRs, but I'd regard my steady pace as something like 10k pace plus 20-30%, which equates to about 6.35-7.10 pace against my 10k pace of ~5.30 miling. I always think of a steady run as one where I'm conscious of 'flowing' rather than holding back/running stiffly as I might on an easy or recovery run, if that makes sense. And a continuous conversation will remain possible at steady pace.

Today's run ended up as an 'easy' 6.75 miles or thereabouts in 50 minutes-odd. 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    my easy runs are between 6.50 and 7.30 pace up to about half marathon distance

my recovery runs are less than 6 miles and slower than 7.30 pace
  • ...and following on from the above, my 'easy' runs would fall into about the 7.10 - 7.30 range.

For long run pace, see previous debates (and regurgitate every 6 months or so)...

• Hmmm, my easy runs are 7.50 up to 8.30 pace, depending on the terrain, my company on the run and how I feel.

My recovery runs are anything from 3M (especially on the day before a race, although this would be an easy run) to 5M at 8.20 to 8.50 pace. These may not be that accurate as my fitness has improved a lot recently.

• Clink..I am aiming for FLM..I have downloaded a schedule from the smartcoach on RW and have had a look at P&D  I like the P&D approach it is easier for me to follow..as I can get up from a night shift and run 8-10 miles @8.30 pace feeling quite fresh...come home bath, eat and relax before going back to work...whereas by the time it gets to 6oclock on a fri...when the track session starts it all feels more of an effort..as I then have to rush to get to work straight away...feeling knackered...

The wednesday road session of around 7.45-8 mm for about 7-8 miles is fast enough at the moment as a tempo run ..as the weeks go by I will do the occasional track session during the day on a wednesday and maybe just go for a social run with a slower group wednesday evening...

All I found by going to the track and doing k reps was...my k reps got fasterimage ...my half times stayed the same..as I cut back on the mileage..we live and learn...as they say...

• AF: We dont have TV, so I'm sorry, I missed the documentary you're referring to, but I vaugely recall something from 5 or 6 years ago about a blind man summitting. I have to confess that come spring, I am glued to Everest News, but last year I had to get my husband to check for updates because the number of deaths was getting too much; I hate the thought of people dying up there in the cold, it actually really upsets me. I havent done any climbing for 2 years now; maybe I'll go back to it after IMF!
  • Paris - beautiful and romantic as long as you stay above ground level. Anything underground (car parks, metro, pedestrian underpasses) stinks of wee.
    Not speaking any french may be a bonus. The parisians pretending not to understand a single word because my accent may not be spot on I found quite frankly infuriating. The french themselves think Paris would be the greatest city in the world if it weren't for the parisians.
    Remember Musee d'Orsay is closed on mondays which I rather regrettably found out that morning as we were leaving Paris on monday evening. I will go back there on day. Fabulous building and great art.

What: 10 miles easy
    Why: opportunity presented itself for lovely longer run in crisp morning first daylight
    Last hard: wednesday
    Last rest: tuesday

• Steady is just a touch faster than minkseasy, obviously!
  • Kenobi:  If you use your 800 splits as Yassos(10x800m), the sharp end would predict a 3:15 mara, which is 7:30 pace.  MP+10% would give you 8:15 long run pace.  So I'd say your speedwork and LR pace are in the right area - assuming you're amiming for a 3:15 mara.

• Hilly Paris is amazing, I am surprised yoi havent already done the marathon there...I ran it htis year...27-28 degs,,,image..but really enjoyed it..the course is flat apart fromthe under passes..which I agree Imski...smell of wee...not nice in the final few miles of a marahon...image...but I would love to do it again...crowds are fantastic, and there are no fancy dress runners ...beware of the banana skins though as fruit, including bananas are on the tables on route, also in the final mile or so the last drinks station..offers wine or cider....I passed on that thanks very much, hardly sensible in the final mile of a marathon..when dehyrated an having run in 27 % degs...

• ""my easy runs are between 6.50 and 7.30 pace up to about half marathon distance """

Gobi...phew.. !!!

• AF - well I'll be dead chuffed to run 3:15!  TBH at this point I am not sure I could sustain 7:30 over the distance.  I was thinking more like 3:30, which makes my long run pace (at MP+10%) 8:48 which feels more like it.  Can I go faster during the mid-week medium longs?

FWIW my HM time is 1:44xx, I am better trained now so I could improve that.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

AF I will bear your words in mind when I set off at 3 tomorrow afternoonimage

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Kenobi:  If you can go faster without getting injured, or affecting your other sessions, then go faster.  image
  • Kenobi:  If you can go faster without getting injured, or affecting your other sessions, then go faster.  image 
  • Kenobi:  If you can go faster without getting injured, or affecting your other sessions, then go faster.  image  If
  • Kenobi:  If you can go faster without getting injured, or affecting your other sessions, then go faster.  image  If it's
  • Kenobi:  If you can go faster without getting injured, or affecting your other sessions, then go faster.  image  If it's your