friday16th november 2007

124»

Comments

• Evening all, fine debate going on here.

BR & hilly - The V50 lady at our club that NN is refering to is quite exceptional.  Only returned to running over the last 2 years, slightly odd under-prontating style, must weigh 2 parts of nothing & regularly beats me in races.  Her training is low volume, high effort.  Her race pacing is appalling - always starts far too fast, semi-crashes & toughs it out.  If she trained properly & raced with optimum pace, I'd never catch her!

Club track session this evening.

What:  8 x 800m off 2 min rests
    Why:  Friday schedule
    Last hard:  4 days
    Last rest:  3 days

Set off trying to do them all sub 3:00, but couldn't hold it there.  Didn't blow out though & managed a fast one to finish with, so a decent session overall.

16 miles tomorrow; Sunday's LSR has to be brought forward as I'm on taxi duty for No.2 son's gym competition.

• hilly
    Just read your post, you have email...

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LOL Stickless and thanks.......!

So far surviving......

Will have to wait for my HRM, have promised my self one when I get out next year..... but till then I guess I will do what I have always done and run to how I feel... Which at present is to build a good base for Crawley 6 hour next march.... but with the aim of progressing in other races that I will be using in the build up.... starting with a slow effort at Gosport 1/2 next week with the aim of throwing in a fast one at Victory 5 the week after......... (currently there is or seems to be no science to my running.....)

Take care

• Lots of intersesting discusion while I've been away; so some assorted thoughts of mine:-

re steady running, I rather assumed that when folks give a mileage for the day, without specifiing hard or easy, it is somewhere in between, which could be called steady or moderate or general aerobic, but we seem to be talking about c. 10kpace + 60-90secs, or MP +30-60 secs

Even training by HR doesn't help all the time, as what feels hard or easy will depend on how tired your legs are, as best seen at the start of a marathon when well tapered and a pace/HR which may be really 'hard' in training, seems really easy.

BR, if your steady runs seem like junk miles how do you define the majority of the runs you seem to do, eg on days when you report say 4ml/10ml.  I assume the 4 ml might be easy as a recovery run.  Is the 10ml 'hard', ? can you talk ? hold a conversation ?

What works for us as individuals - but surely the problem is we are always seeking something better.  I'd rather put it that we know what doesn't work for us.

as 200mins says, his & NN's clubmate weighs 2 parts of nothing (love the phrase);   another key factor sometimes confused with natural ability

If sais runner upped her volume of training but kept the same effort she'd presumably get injured, so the business about alternating paces or effort , or at least running easy some of the time, (as opposed to 'the running easy all of the time camp')  really only becomes a key issue if the volume increases.

• BR:  P&D "Advanced Marathoning" P44.  "Attempting to do high mileage or high intensity training in hot weather is a physiological challenge that requires you to be flexible with your training schedule ... on a hot, humid day, slow your pace from the outset rather than waiting until your body forces you to slow"

Took me about a minute at steady pace to find it image 

• Hello.

What a lot of chat...

I've not read P&D - but McMillan always seemed quite sensible in his advice on regular pace - he didn't sound like he was bothered if people ran slower than MP+1 after their hard day at work... the only thing that mattered was that they didn't run faster...

Totally agree with BR (what is the world coming to?) that what we know works for us changes over time (what I know worked for me in 2004 would not work now..)

kenobi - I can't run the 800s you mentioned but am now a 3:20 marathon runner.... RFJ - I can't match your 5km pace but somehow have ended up faster at the mara...

I'm definite that the 16 weeks of 60 miles per week (all at 10 minute miles) in the lead up to IMA have contributed heaps to my Autumn maras... but I don't think that's what I'd do if I was mara training...

Of course the one thing that is constant... gotta have fun and keep smiling...

Now why can't I run on the beach? (I'm jealous - even though I know Poppy's beach has a view of Port Talbot!)

• Late post as ever.

Spent 5 days in Paris and felt I neede more. So much to see, do, eat and drink!

Anyone doing it's marathon should make a short break/holiday of it.

Today; 4 miles testing a knee injury. Miserable 15 miles this week.

• BR; Haven't read your how you feel'?

• BR; Haven't read your how you feel'?

• What happened??

BR Meant to say, doesn't your post of around 5pm, merely advocate my mantra 'run how you feel'??

• BR; Nothing can account for all eventualities.You are following a mara schedule. It may work for you but not others. We'll hopefuly all find our gurus!?

1am  pos; 10am speed session?