Draycote Water 35

Comments

• How we conquered Draycote Marathon
    it was Sunday 17 February 20008 - It was to be hopefully our 27 th Full marathon together,

Little could i of envisaged what was to come, and how we'd survive !!!

We knew the day was just perfect, the moment we arrived at Draycote, the daylight broke through, the sun shone, the water was so still, it was to be hopefully the most beautiful day that we could of imagined - as for those who do not know Draycote, when the wether is bad, it can be hell on earth.

We met fellow runners as they arrived, i was overwhelmed by their support for us, i must say more than once you all had me in tears.

We got ready as planned, i was very comfortable, no nerves, no excitement, no nothing really, it all happened so very quickly - so preperation over we made our way to the start line ...we had some fun, a little chitter chatter, a little joke here and there.

i knew what lay ahead, i knew the distance needed full repsect, but i also knew i could not allow myself to be afraid of it - so the gun went, we started off gently, the bit of lap first, just having fun, totally relaxed, no care in the world at all, it was a case of if we make it then great, if we don't well, it's tough luck ain't it mate LOL.

So onwards it was, the bit over, we were laughing setting out our stall, we set off into the wodland on lap one, i was settling and beginning to feel good, i was under no illusions though - it still had to be done, all sorts of things went through my mind, i began to feel , yes, lets do this, lets get lap one out of the way, leaving 4 shorter laps.

so lap one it was in 1.09 ish, setting out for lap 2, the straight laps from now on, i was beginning to flow, i was in command, i was in tip top form - i was ging to take some stopping, pure and simple.

Got off the long straights onto the wooded areas, steadily up the undulations, got to about mile 11,
    ( Oh my gosh, talk about, some ones killed kenny, ), my bloody cash twinged, like snapping a biscuit, i immediately went from fullish throttle to 40 % Par of power, oh my god, i was'nt half way

It just got worse and worse, completed in lap two by around 1.57 ? - then set about lap 3 , i was beginning to feel in

• It just got worse and worse, completed in lap two by around 1.57 ? - then set about lap 3 , i was beginning to feel in desperate agony, the pain seized my leg completely, i was hobbling along, at times little feeling in my whole leg,

what do i do, - this was it, end of race, i considered withdrawing, as we were never far from the finish, i almost at one point took Phil's Number off him,

i wobbled on, walking with a one legged limp, and then trying to jog, i stopped, i sulked, i carried on, this was time to refuel, we fed - then comes along Tracey G, , id already been giving myslef a bloddy good talking to, i examinded every pscyhological area of my stamina that i had, i knew i was desperate, i talked to tracey, i some how forgot my pain,

i was approaching the end of lap 3 , though, hang on, i'm not ill, it's a super day, therre's only 2 to go, not 3 !!, it's so easy to call it a day ... NO, NO, NO - i'm not having it

we completed lap 3 in about 3.20, if only i could make lap 4, i was in with a real chance, i walked, i jogged, i cried, i kept saying to my self, - come on Mick, this isn't us, were not here to show off, were not here to impress anyone, were not here as a team, were not here to win anything .. it's a super perfect day, we are here for us ,

i knew had i have been a novice, with or without phillip i stood absolutely NO chance, i had to dig deep into all my reserves - all my experience, all my skill, all my physical strenght, all my mental satmina - there was to be NO submissions, no cowardis,

it was onwards, me and Tracey G, we plodded on, so to end of lap 4, it was 4.29

i could have just died there and then, i was in so much pain, I knew how much i wanted this marathon, etc, so, it was one lap to go , about 1 hour top go, i passed my car, i thought, NO, - onwards, my physcological strength and self belief ws paying dividends,

i was happy, tearful .. NO regrets at all - it was onwards, just hobble, jogged and walked, up through the wooded area, oh the finish was smelling sweet, - i knew i had it, i 'd done it, against ALl the odds, i was'nt beaten after all , my leg was sore and paining from my calf up to my thigh

we hit the long wall towrds the finish, i must have cried with emotional joy all the way, i spotted 25 miles, time did'nt matter, i was the champion, we were the masters, we Would NOT give in to pain, we would never surrender

we turned the corner to a 5.25 jubillant finish

i had no celebrtation left in me, only emotional tears - then Bless him, Roger Wilkes presented us with a gift, i don't know quite what he said exactly i was in pain,

i was seventh heaven, i want to THANK al of you fellow Fetchies for everything

I've slept well, i 'm tired, i'm happy, it was a disasterour PW of 5.25, but it's made me strong.

it has NOT depressed me or demorolised me , as a matter of fact it's done the opposite, it's left me feeling high
  • Mick it was great to see you and Phil yesterday and to get hugs from both of you.  As ever you are truly awe inspiring.  Hope you're back to full speed soon.  Look after yourself
  • If we NEVER
    Our planned Full Marathons for 2008 are -

Blackpool

Robin Hood

Abingdon

Luton

But, if we never get to run another Full Marathon, after yesterday, well, i can sit here and LMAO
  • ed_m (a.k.a. ultra bunny) wrote (see)
    the vests come with a CSS ?
    No... but that could be arranged if anyone can still source the "Global Hypercolour" fabric image
  • What happened to Scooby doo - he's on the early race pics of the 35 miler? Assume DNF, but how far did he go? Very impressive to line up for an utra in fancy dress!
  • ed_m (a.k.a. ultra bunny) wrote (see)
    You don't need a vest to use the wesbite, and the training log is quite useful (especially now they have cycling adn swimming league tables for us Tri types).
  • that smiley wasnt aimed at you.
  • Came in something like an hour and 40 behind the first in my age category but only 25 seconds off being 2nd.  Knew I shouldn't have had those couple of little walk breaks in the last mile and a half!!

• yeh i didnt realise she'd made a run for it too !

i'd been to-ing a fro-ing with her over the last couple of miles before i caught you kaz. 

• As a member of the 100 club I suspect she's got a bit more experience of ultras than me.  Next time I'll only walk if I'm dead on my feet which I wasn't yesterday.  Was just having a bit of a 'moment'!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    ed - are you talking about my friend Linda?  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Kaz - she doesn't normally do ultras, usually opts for the marathon.
  • I'm annoyed at myself for letting something as silly as the mix-up about the lap count get to me over that last lap.  As bad as my legs felt I should have gone sub-6 but these are the things we learn from!!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Kaz - you did really well for your first ultra, stop beating yourself up about it.
  • Tell her shades

you did really, really well kazz

• Kaz - If it wasnt for my Garmin I wouldnt have had a clue , my head had gone after lap 4 , I really was confused image
  • Don't get me wrong.  Still really chuffed but ......... image

Dunc, I totally lost the plot and if it hadn't have been for the garmin I'd have not known where I was!

Just been for a gentle gym session.  Bit of a bike, bit of x-train and lots of stretching!

• ummmm well she didn't mention you shades....
  • Cooo,

Pictures are good!

Thanks for taking them !

• Well done all you ultra's out there! Fantastic. It wasn't the day for me... I had entered the mara, but had only done 10.6 miles as my longest run because of ITB problems all over Christmas, so I plodded for 2 and a bit laps to get some training miles done, and pulled out before I got hurt.

Huge respect to you all, marathon runners and ultra runners, brilliant! Well done. Hope your leg is feeling better Mick.

I'll be back next year, I've got to get this ultra thing out of my system.

Again, brilliant effort to all, well done!

• Hi all, Didnt realise this thread was on the go.

Well done to all yesterday and i take my hat off to the organisers. Great organisation, marshalls and course. I was very impressed with the marshalls at the feed stations as they werwe so organised and prepared.

I was pleased with my run yesterday as i knocked over a minute a mile off my Town2Tring time. I started off with the group Brian Cole was leading and really didnt think that i would keep the pace up due to the terrible pains i was getting in my shins. By 8mile this wore off and i got into the swing off things. Shame about Brian and Colin dropping out as they were going strong from the start.

Finished in a time of 3h55m and came 5th. Also went through the marathon split in a new pb image

Again well done all. My next ultra is GUCRimage

• full results available on kenilworth website

• Theres one thing nobody warned me about - and that was to put suncream on !!! I cannot beleive it , but my legs and arms are slightly sunburnt image . Iching like mad and have had to borrow Jessica's dipropbase image 
  • Dunc, had suncream with me altho' didn't put any on in the end.
  • Kaz - next time can you do me a check list for the kitchen sink / bag lol