Brighton Marathon 2010

Comments

• Wow.  What can I say about how good the day/race was that wasn't already said - the support, the day, the organisation. Ah, no-one mentioned the showers yet!!!  How nice were they!

For me personally... very chuffed with the time (4hr 13) and aching now in totally different places to the training runs!

Best memories...

The "wall" - loved the humour (shame the picture taken gives away the truth of my state at that point)

That Saucony banner about the road to hell... I came round the corner thinking "they won't dare to put up something about that... surely it'll put me off" - NOPE, red rag to a bull..

And 10/10 to that bloke at 21ish in the middle of the road being "the crowd"!!!!  His enthusiasm was worth 1000 supporters at that point!

I am definitely moving towards doing it again... maybe image

• Maurf - Yes I did Dublin last year, it was my first marathon. Only signed up because it was on my birthday and I jokingly suggest to my wife it would be a great way to spend your birthday. Next thing I know flights and hotels are booked. Still not sure what had the best crowd support Dublin or Brighton.

• I was just impressed that the poor pace maker ran 26 miles carrying/holding up a stick with a plaque on it. We found it hard enough without making it harder!!
  • If anyone see a flash ightening runner about 3.50 onwards across the Brightomn pier.Its me?
  • PP I ran London one year with a pacer and he forgot to swap his large time board for the small lolly pop size one they carry...must have got a bit uncomfortable. image

Berlin is a good city marathon, I preferred that to Dublin.

• Afternoon all

Let’s hope Brighton is on again next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was that me who said that?

The one who swore that this was the only one he was ever running and a course if the body hasn’t fallen apart by then

Sandi glad to hear you made it ok what was your race number it would be nice to put a face to the name have been going in and out of the Marathon photo web site and having a look at some of the people i never got to meet

Thank you for your speed comment has made my day

• Well done to everyone - it was a great day and I managed my target of running it all and sub 5hrs (I did 4h46!)  image

Did anyone else suffer from the camber on Marine Parade?!!  My left knee REALLY started to hurt and I was beginning to wonder if I would have to stop....but the road got flat again and my knee was fine!

• lowslice: spot on, a couple of us started running behind each other for a while so that we were on the flat.

You could have alternated knee pain by running backwards!!
  • lowslice

you must have been reasonably close to me I did 4h49, I had seen the camber on the road the day before as i drove up the hill to Rottingdean and back, so i made sure i ran in the middle of the road there and it was not too bad.

well done on finishing it was a hot day, it was my first marathon and I cant wait for next year, the atmosphere was fantastic

• HA!  I think running backwards would've sent me a bit loopy!  I did try to run in the middle but just found myself being dragged down by gravity down the camber!  ah well, no harm done but I WAS worried!!
  • What did people treat themselves to food or drink wise after the race?  Mine was a chocolate For Goodness Shake!  and a bagfull of M&S snacks for my train journey!!
  • Hello, me again image

Dips, went docs cos after 2.5hrs total sleep last night (sooo tired today) remembered I was told to come back if I got a sore throat. It could be either immune/come down from marathon, or it's a common side effect from the anti-thyroid tablets I'm on to slow it down. So now I'm off them, on anti-b's, went to hospital for blood test today, back for results Monday or sooner image Bit worried.... and obviously tired image

Purdey meant to say sorry you had a tough time image

Veggie Sausage well done mate! Mile 2... I tried not to chat. Me and JuliaT started off together - she's faster than me anyway - and agreed we didn't want to run/chat to anyone. Sometimes I just couldn't shake 'em off. You shoulda shouted!

Minimal aches and pains from the run. Slight quad aches.. that's it. Aching pyschologically tho image

• My left leg didn't like the camber of Marine Drive. My ITB made itself know when we were on Marine Drive and then again in the last few miles and has been sore since.
  • Food afterwards? A berry for goodness shakes, a banana, a pint of Harveys, American hot pizza, two peronis, ham and chips, fruit cake, cheese sandwich, a glass of wine.

And I'm still hungry!
  • Good work PP!  My M&S snack bag consisted of Tuna Sandwich, small pasta bowl, hummus and carrots, granola and yoghurt, chocolate coconut cakey thing and a banana! 
  • burger king double bacon cheese burger and chips

had DOMS since I've got home(delayed on set munchies)

• I'm still a 10 stone whippet!

Does anyone else rate the 'For goodness shakes'?
  • Hi all,

Many congratulations to you all for a wonderful achievement. I unfortunately had to pull out a few weeks earlier as I had a chest infection and could not get the training in, so decided to offer myself as a volunteer. Rode down from Boston in Lincolnshire on my Goldwing and had a great weekend as a marshal at the 6 / 12 mile mark. Got a sun burnt head and a sore throat from all the shouting, but I loved it. I will be running it next year and looking forward to it so much after seeing it from the spectator's point of view. This would have been my 12th marathon, but I am now doing Loch Ness in October.

Good luck to any of you doing London on Sunday.

Hope to see you next year.

Best wishes. Dave.

• Harry Ramsdens Haddock and chips image
  • Side Effects wrote (see)
    James Joy wrote

Another idea they can steal from Dublin is the pacers. I only one I spoted at Brighton was carrying a stick with a hand written time on it. At Dublin there was a team of three per pace band. They had same colour shirt on and massive balloons (about the size of a swiss ball) on a ribbon tided to them to them floated about 10m in the air, with the time printed on it. Hence they where easy to spot and follow even from some distance.

I totally agree, I was the 3.30 pacer and the balloons (like Dublin) would have been a lot better. I will suggest that to them for next year.

I came in on 3.29.32 (halfway in 1.44.52) and the 4 hour pacer ran it in 3.59.55. I don't know how the other pacers did.

Well I wish I'd followed you from the start.  I felt really good at the start, and zipped past you on early on during the climb past the firestation.  Unfortunately I fell apart and you caught me at about 19 miles on the way out to Shoreham.  You overtook as the bloke running to the left of you was discussing how it should be really easy from now on and all I could think was... *groan*

Oh well.

• Kebab from the Taj, beer from the fridge.
  • Sorry to hear that Simster, I spoke to quite a few people during the first 20 miles but from mile 22 onwards I was on my own although a few people who ended up 50 yards or so behind me said thanks afterwards as they still made it under 3.30 chip time as they started further back from me at the start.

• Lucozade Protein bar thingy, some malt loaf and jelly babies. A bit later it was followed by a sunday roast, a few pints of beer at one of our many local pubs followed by some lovely bubbly at home. Oh and followed by a teeny hangover in the morning!!

I'm already itching to get running again. My muscles are working much better than yesterday and I haven't suffered from any 'Oh - I can't get back up' moments.  image

I am still on one massive high from Sunday's experience. And knowing me I'll probably stay up there for quite a while. imageimageimage

I have my fingers crossed that Tim's meeting with the council goes well and than the 2011 marathon extravaganza will be launched soon!!

Tim Hutchings is now officially added to my list of legends.

• Not sure how busy this forum will be after this post but did anyone spot the random monkey that was there at mile 20? Bizarre! My friend was watching there and asked to take a photo and her just made monkey noises at him!

Also, my nemesis, an old bloke dressed as a penguin who I routinely catch cheating at events was at it again at the Brighton marathon. He is pictured in the Argus supplemnent today. God I hate him!

• Hi Richard. I do remember the monkey.
    Thought I was hallunicatung. Very random, but made me smile
  • Richard, That's so funny, I got stuck by a cheat and general naredowell at the beginning and then saw also them in the Argos which enabled me to confirm my hunch. No penguin suit involved though. 

I struggled to eat for hours afterwards, I think my stomach was rebelling against the previous 3 days. I noticed the camber but my regular short route has really bad camber so I'm used to it.  Hmm I think that's today's questions covered.

Have been reading though the race reviews, looks like people had a really good day overall, I'm in the minority about the wall and that the guy at mile 21 will soon be handed the keys to the city.  

• Congratulations everyone x

I struggled but finished in 4.55.  i found it so hard, feeling sick the whole way round.  The crowds were fantastic and it was great to see Green Fairy. 

Lovely to have met those at the Travelodge on Saturday,

xxx

• Well nothing I can say about sunday which doesn't echo the acclaim wot has already been wrote.

But I shall try.

Well, well done to everyone.  A great effort. 

Good to meet forumites at the travelodge saturday!  Same time same place next year?image

Strange how things turn out.  Despite having dropped out of the race a few weeks ago I did end up finishing the race on sunday!  To keep TracyB going from my spectating point at 18.5 miles I walked with her, showering her with attempted comical banter until she could take no more and at 3 miles from home she sped off to finish gloriously.  Surely no other runner showed as much bravery, guts and determination as TracyB (and I'm not refering to her listening to my banter now!).  She was in a bad way when she saw me but she was sensible throughout.  She didn't want to stop but she didn't blindly bash on and got her just rewards with a finish full of smiles.  Well done TB.  A true MARATHONER!

We tagged along with a lady, name of Caroline, in the powerstation section.  She was suffering too but we kept her going.  When TB sped off she asked me to keep walking with her to keep her spirits up so I accompanied her right to 50 yards from the finish.  I think by then she was glad to see the back of me as well!!  I did walk past the gantry on the pavement thoughimage.

I had a great time cheering on the runners.  I got a funny look from a marshall as I put on my costume as maybe she thought I was going to gatecrash the race.  I'm amazed at how many forumites I didn't see.  Good to see 2btiny, a Charlotte, soupdragon, and Julia T.  Yes it was a rather slippery hug but worth it image.  Others called out  'hello green fairy' but forumites or not I shall never know.  Others called out things I cannot repeat here!  ONCE AND FOR ALL, IT IS NOT A DRESS, IT IS A COSTUME!image

Had my photo taken on two occasions by other spectators!image

One runner made me laugh when he said 'I think I'm hallucinating!' as he went by. Wish I could have jumped into a hole when I called out 'well done guide dogs, looking good' to a runner leading someone partially sighted.imageI hadn't noticed until too late.

Arrived at the Pavilion Tavern at 5:10 but nobody there.  Was glad I took train down when I saw the mess the traffic was in.

I had a great day which wasn't on the cards when I pulled out.  I could have stayed at home and felt sorry for myself but am very pleased I made the effort to go along.  Looking forward to next year's race.  The bl**dy thread is already up and running!  Have started training already.

This has been a wonderful thread to follow.  Lots of sound, sensible advice from sound, sensible people and great banter.  To meet a few was great, hope to again somewhere, someday.

Anyone up for the Great South Run in October?  A bit pricey but a good day out and superb crowds and genuinely flat course.image

• Richard - I just managed to beat the Penguin to a dip finish. And I did see the gorilla at 21 (22miles?). He just sat on the sea wall and all I could think about how hot he must be in the costume.

I didnt eat too much on Sunday night but my appetite has defintely returned! And isnt alcohol wonderful!!