Tadworth 10

13»

Comments

• oh no Tiger!  I think I stopped to help you up but didn't realise you had hit your head - i thought your hands took most of the fall . . .  I would have stayed with you longer if I had seen a muddy patch on your head!  Are you ok today?
  • I'm not too bad today Clara, thanks for your help. image  I'm working from home today, will probably venture into work with the dark glasses tomorrow!

Well done Green Eyes, 1.26 on that course is pretty good going.

• oh no tiger! Hope you are OK you poor bunny. I used to pick up the odd black eye when I played women's rugga - used to get some funny looks on the train into work.  Dark glasses are definitely teh way forward!

• Now there's an idea for the Taddy 10 organisers when the race goodybag sub-committee meets next to decide on next year's contents - Taddy 10 runners dark glasses!

I could have done with them running up Ebby Lane yesterday what with the low level sun blinding the way ahead.

• OK Snoop Dogg that' why we gave a bum-bag this year - somewhere to keep your shades for when the sun comes out
  • OK folowing on from the latest theme, so the bum bags didnt go down too well, over to you "What would you like to have as a give away in the goodybag"?
  • thanks to all marshalls, organisers, horses for providing crap to run through, weather for providing ice for me to slide down the hill in tadworth...  great race, legs are swearing at me today though.

godfather, maybe go back to the hat, or some gloves??  at this time of year they would be most welcome!

• 2nd year for me and the course still surprised-thought I new it all.I trained hard,lost 15 minutes from last year and ended up with 74.Just gotta knock 10 minutes off next year.Wot no medal?Wot do these people think we do this for?The fun of it?
  • Call me a bore, but I am happy with just a medal at the end of a race image and a flapjack image
  • ...I sound like a mercenary in the last post, what i mean is I don't mind getting nothing at the end, I do it because I like to run, but given the options of an extra memento I like a medal...ok off to eat some fish pie.
  • Like Jimbus I too run for the enjoyment, the internal battle with myself, the competition with, but also the camaraderie and mutual support offered by, fellow competitors, the friendly atmosphere created by the marshals spectators etc and probably for a hundred intangible reasons as well. I too would do so for nothing. However if there is a momento I have a distinct personal preference for a medal.  I've kept them all. Tee shirts and other paraphernalia eventually disappear. However I would reiterate it's only a personal preference and I express it, not to diminish the many other keepsakes generously and thoughtfully provided by race organisers, but in response to GoS's specific request. Bumbag, medal whatever, may I reiterate my thanks to all at Tadworth AC for putting on such a cracking event.
  • I am in agreement with Liam on this one as I sit writing in a very dog eared and tatty NY Marathon 2005 T-shirt!

By the way, anyone on this forum post running the Meon Valley Plod on 17th Feb? am doing it as prep for Paris Marathon, be good to see some Tadworth runners there image

• AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭

The organisers can never win on the momento front - for me medals always go in the bin (except the Marathon ones) - some don't even have the race name or date on them.

Tadworth always have a surprise - I think I've had gloves, cap, singlet and now bumbag. Much more exciting!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Top race, good waker-upper for Jan and impeccably organised as before. Many thanks to the people who do the hard work, it's very much appreciated.

Whether you liked the bumbag or not, note that this race is still relatively cheap to enter and better value than many others.  Congrats again to the democractically minded and inclusive organisers.

Quite happy with 1.07 for this, faster than 2 yrs ago, the winter work is paying off.  Good luck all this season. 

• Being a vet of the last seven Taddy 10's, and some 200 races in all, I hope I'm in a position to say that the race committee is the most innovative of any club in terms of the goody bag, and I've still got all miy momentoes, apart from the tyvek jacket which got lost at the Benfleet 15 in 2001.

The momento is only the icing on the cake - I wouldn't run the race only for that, but it's good to have a keepsake other than a medal which ends up at the back of a drawer or a t shirt which ends up dusting the top of the tv.

As for the future, a hand towel, shoe bag, florescent tabard or cod piece would all prove useful.  

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Green Eyes how come I missed you? I stopped after one lap especially so I could wave everyone in...... That and I hated the first lap. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea for my first run since Hogs Back! I've started training this week though, might even turn into a runner again one day.

The winner was incredible - 54 minutes on that course!!!!!

• how about a fluorescent codpiece?
  • Now THAT would be a sight - Tadworth AC members out on a training run after dark running across the Downs sporting flourescent codpieces.

Could be a contender for next month's Rave Run in RW mag if someone were to take a piccy and submit it. image

• Close encounters of the glowing jock strap kind
  • The closest you'll find a Taccie to a codpiece is the chip shop
  • A bumbag I find can be quite useful,as for medals which end up in the back of a draw till it is time to clear it out.

The worst memento must have been the chocolate medal from the Hadleigh 10.from about 1999. it was eaten before I and many others realised that it was the memento image

• Back in september i bought my first copy of runners world and there was a guy in there that was one of those inspiration stories, turning his life and health around though running.  There was a photo holding loads of medals, and I suppose that is what got me started.  Since then I have entered a race a month and I have gone from worrying about putting on weight to worrying about my times (ironically my first 10k I have got slower ever since! - but to be fair the courses have got a lot harder).

The medals remind me why I am doing it, but the bumbag will still take pride of place in my "running tat cabinet".  It helps the beginners like me feel a real sense of achievement.

But it the organisers are looking for suggestions for next year, they could include a packet of "getting out of bed on a dark freezing winter's morning to go running" motivation tablets.

Thanks to all the people I meet on every race.  I love it - the cameraderie, their stories, and the support that everybody gives, whether you take 30 minutes or 3 hours.  Sometimes on the way to a race I want to back-out but I always come home feeling exhilarated and glad that I did.

Mark

• "Sometimes on the way to a race I want to back-out but I always come home feeling exhilarated and glad that I did" - you're not alone there MH3