Shoes Shoes Shoes

Can anyone help me or advise?????
I'm fairly new to running and have benn running for about 2 years.
I was running in Adidas Brahmas on/off road I changed to NB 854.Everything was OK and then I started having problems with my calf, resulting in me laying off running for about 4-5 weeks.
I ran on Saturday about 2 miles - Ok, then i ran last night about 3-4 and this morning the calf niggle is back, not as bad but i think if i continue then it'll get worse.
I think it is definitely my shoes as i stretch and warm up lots.
I had no problems with my Adidas shoes so should i go back to Adidas ???
If so what is the genral consensus on the Adidas Response / Supernova and also the Supernova trail??

Any replies would be great....I wait with bated breath !!!

Thanks

Comments

• Not an Adidas fan have always used Nike Pegasus also used Structure but a heavy shoe tried Skylon but not robust enough
    have converted my mate from Asics to Nike
    may be worth a try retail around £55.00
    good luck with your quest hope u are using plenty of ice on that calf
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    I'd be very surprised if the calf problem is anything to do with the shoes.

Make sure that you only stretch after you are properly warm - I trashed my calves with cold stretching a few years back. Don't stretch it at all until it's better.
  • EP- Are your shoes big enough? Your arch flattens slightly when you run so you really need oodles of room in the toebox to avoid blisters. The general rule is the width of your thumb between the longest toe and the end of the shoe
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    EP, go for shoes with a choice of width fittings. New Balance are the classic brand for this, although there are others. Saucony shoes also tend to have a wide toe box - you can get a perfectly acceptable pair of either for around £60.

Great name by the way.
  • Hi, I got myself some "NB 854" about 4 months ago, ran in them for about 5 weeks and was crippled with shin pains, I stopped running for 2 weeks but the pains came straight back.
    I went to Start Fitness who said he thought 854s are too severe and he put me in "Nike Air Span Triax", I have now been running in these for 2 months with no problem at all.
    Hope this has been helpful, good luck with your calf.
  • I think it has been said on several threads of a similar nature to this one (except the ironing one!): go along to a good running shop(see other threads for good shops). They will watch you run and ensure that you get the correct shoe.