Options

Weight & Performance

Comments

• Options

Hmmm OK then Lardarse...

Can anyone help?  Someone somewhere on this thread and I can't find it now mentioned that you can work out how much faster you should be able to run just based on how much weight you have lost.  Apparently there is a formula somewhere.

Does anyone have a link please?

I am trying to work out what my next target 5k race should be, based solely on weight loss rather than training done.

Cheers for any help image

• Options

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weighteffect.php

try this Sweepie  I find his site really useful and can become adictive!

• Options
     I must admit it's tempting to lose a little if I could get my times down.  I am 5ft 5 ish and weigh 57kg, I may just try cutting out the rubbish and replacing it with more fruit.  I know I ran much quicker times when I was a stone lighter but then everybody thought I was too skinny, where now I do lift heavy weights twice a week which has bulked me up a little.  Very interesting topic - wish I had not just eaten the cookies.  Jane
  • Options

Scales for me this morning, from 88.7kg at the start of December, now at 84.1kg... that'll do me... well on the was to sub 12 stone by London!

Pug image

• Options

Cheers MtD,

Exactly what I was looking for!

I ate a chocolate brownie after lunch and now I feel sick and p*ssed off for giving in.  Damn and blast to Harvey's sandwich shop image .  At least I've not had any alcohol since New Year.  Determined to keep up to that one at least.  Walks away muttering.... I must not eat cr*p, I must not eat cr*p, I must not eat cr*p.

So this means I'll be at least a kilo heavier tomorrow morning image

• Options
    I think if you cut out everything that you class as a treat you are not going to achieve your goals.  Just make small changes and see how it goes.  To burn off through exercise a pound of fat you need to burn up 3500 cals so exercise alone wont do the trick unless you are not exercising at the moment.  I lost 1kg this week but only because I ran more than 50 miles and walked 10 miles with my job - this is not the norm for me, I am going to see if I can keep it off by eating sensibly.  Jane Benson
  • Options

You lot sound completely obsessive - a kg is nothing, my weight will fluctuate a kg depending on whether or not I eat breakfast; that's not a reason not to eat breakfast, or if it is it's a terrible one. And similarly, you will lose a kg if you're dehydrated after a run. Similarly, as you train you will lose fat but gain muscle - so you may stay at an identical weight, or even put on weight, but get thinner. Eat healthily because it makes you feel better about your body and makes you run better - there's no point stressing over a kg - for example, if I don't train for a fortnight due to injury I probably lose 2kg of muscle - my best race weight is actually my heaviest, because that's where I'm strongest.

And you won't be strong if you eat like birds. Speaking of which, I'm gonig to make dinner. Which will consist of a sachet of rice which is meant for 2 people for a start, and then whatever else I can find, hmmm....

My point is 2-fold - 1) FUEL, and 2) POSITIVE BODY IMAGE - if you are happy with the way you look then it doesn't matter what you weigh. Chocolate brownies are fuel - they may not be good quality fuel, but still, and if chocolate makes you happy then if you are training to balance that then it doesn't matter. Or alternatively eat the straight chocolate, which has less fat than when it's melted into all the other cake ingredients.

• Options
    'a sachet of rice which is meant for 2 people' -are you sure?
    I have double that... oh.
  • Options
    sweepie i am usually a similar weight to you 56 kg. i put on some in October, didnt lose it and put on more over Xmas. Now 9 stones..argh.(I'm 5'6") training times havent sufferd but the weight isnt shifting as quickly as i'd like. i had a chocolate hob not tonight - the guilt is killing me!!!
  • Options

Molly your bmi is 20.3 - hardly overweight. Do you seriously think you can't afford to eat a chocolate hobnob? Even if you ate the whole packet your bmi would still be well in the safe region! Since bmi doesn't take muscle into account and you probably have a fair bit from running then being at the light side of the bmi may be a bit dodgy as it may mean you have too little fat. You say yourself your training times haven't suffered from the extra weight so why stress about it?

Sorry - I'm not trying to pick a fight, but whilst there are plenty of people who shouldn't be eating that chocolate hobnob - you're clearly not one of them. Take care.

• Options
    shortnslow  Hi yep- I know what you're saying. i try to be good during the week diet wise then pig out at the weekends- and yesterday was only Tuesday!!!  I'd just like to lose the weight i've put on.
  • Options

Wish my BMI was 20.3, 21 is my target, which i think is around 11st 7lbs give or take for my height (6ft 1")... to be 20.3 Molly is excellent, means whatever training your doing is going into getting quicker and not lugging flab around like Puglet!

Pug image

• Options
    I'm just under 5'9 and weigh 9'6 - I attribute this mainly to the fact that I'm a vegetarian - I think if I ate meat I would be about a stone heavier - cos I eat a hell of a lot of food.
    In terms of weight loss however, there are other ways to lose weight other than running.
    For example I walk to Uni, town and anywhere else I have to go to regardless of the distance - as well as doing light weights, cooking, etc l as long as your keeping active all the time you shouldn't put much weight on.
  • Options

I've lost 8lb since Chrimbo - BMI about 26.6 - looking to lose another 11lb.

I feel like I can run faster because of it. 

• Options

Just wondering, somebody recently told me that ordinary rice crispies and semi skimmed milk is a good breakfast for somebody trying to loose weight.

Is this true ?

Any help would be welcomed.

• Options

Birkmyre,

Probably 'cause you'd need about 3 bowls to fill you up.....there is just nothiing to them and always leaving me feeling hungry. Surely, Sultana Bran or Porridge would be better. Low GI etc etc.

• Options

Sean, cheers for the advice.

Had a bowl of rice crispies and then toast and hot diluted juice this morning.

Suppose its just a case of trying to find what suits and I enjoy. Managed to avoid the choccy covered cereal that Miss B likes !

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Still 5ft 9"
    Still 73kgs
    BMI STILL 23.9

Good job I don't run to lose weight.

On that note, I'm off for another run.
  • Options
    Despite eating 59 sausage rolls last sunday, iv'e lost 1.5kg this week, so im now 78.8kg 5"10, but i feel so weak being this light...
  • Options

Well, I've got on the scales and put on 1kg this week, unbelievable, diet's been spot on, ran 34 mile, will be finishing the week off on 50+ for the third week on the trott... yet I've put a KG on... so, diet's going to have to move to the next level. Another 500 calroies off per day me thinks!

Pug image

• Options

My bust is shrinking...gone down a whole size and 2 cup sizes

weigh in is Monday

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Pug, have you thought about water retention?

It's normal for the body weight to vary around 0.5 to 1.0kg daily due to water retention. It's nothing to do with fat, just water.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Just done my BMI (though i'm not a fan of this method) 22.9.

Have lost  about 4lbs this year and have at least another 10 to go. But am always eating, been running more but its making me more hungry

• Options

I'm sorry- i've let everyone down to day - but most of all myself- with my poor diet and drinking habits

Molly must try harder

Molly must try harder

Molly must try harder......

• Options

Naughty Naughty Molly image

Pug image

• Options
    Have had the Norovirus or some variant since Saturday. This has to be the most time-efficient, but least pleasant way of getting down to racing weight that I've ever experienced. Have dropped 4 lbs in 4 days, down to 9st 5lb this morning. Can't really eat, too nauseous, and it produces appalling stomach cramps. Hoping or some respite today, otherwise I'm going to be thinner than an elite Kenyan distance runner by the end of the week!!! Suspect I won't be running like one though - think all the weight loss is glycogen and water : - (
  • Options

I've updated my spreadsheet which anyone can use and download if you want to.

It's based on a Half Marathon I did in May 2005 and a 10k I did  the week before, which were pretty spot on races. I was 13st 12lbs at the time, and thus devised this spreadsheet to see what I could run and at what weight at the same fitness level, assuming no strength and muscle mass is lost obviously.

To use it yourselves... all you do is, put your PB in under each column heading where the red PB time is (D6 to J6), input your weight in Pounds into A6 that you think you was when you set them (this will have to be approx if you really don't know) and your height in inches into B1...and the spreadsheet will do the rest.

I've used this and it's been pretty darn accurate with what I achieved getting down to 12st 4lbs at one point, the PB's reflected this...

Upto you guys and gals, just thought it might be useful for you! I've left my stats in there for now, just so it doesn't look odd, like I say, just replace the things in RED with your figures and see how it does image

Anyone want any enhancements, let me know. image

Click For Weight Versus Time Excel Spreadsheet

Pug image

• Options

Bloody hell pug thats an amazing piece of work. I'll look at it in greater detail tomorrow. thanks.

I have been good today resisting all banned food temptation including an open tin of Roses chocolates! i deserve to lose 1/2 a stone for that- if only!

• Options

Good stuff Molly that's what it's all about... it's all will power and how much youw ant it... celebrate when you've reached your target weight... it's how I work...

I've just had two pieces of cod, 75 cals each for a little something before bed, good ole' protein...

MEGA DIET 

Monday = 1150 cals eaten no run

Tuesday = 1369 cals eaten (8 mile run)

JUST ANOTHER 26 DAYS TO GO image 

Pug image

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Pug, thank you. This will fuel all our dreams!

I've entered my figures and would you believe my sub-25 5k target sits dead opposite what has always been my ideal weight (one I've maintained in the past but not one I've ever run at). Over 4kg to go still, which is a lot for a littl'un like myself, but what a great incentive.