Weight & Performance

Comments

• 27 miles from me in 2 days- and not a chocolate in sight! Same cant be said for alcohol but only 2 small glasses. image
  • I have my follow up appt with Sports nutritionist tomorrow all was going well but due to an emotional personal upset not been eating in the evening so have to get back on track as was helping me.

Crap timing as have race Sundayimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    (((WP))) hope the race helps.
  • Found a decent brekkie cereal or rather Mrs B did, 'Special K' !

Tastes ok ,if a bit plain, but every little helps.

I haven't weighed myself for a week or so and will do so again early next week , when I'll report in. My waist line feels slimmer, but the scales don't lie.

• pug thats a great  link you put in there. can you now please also  do an age ajusted bit!! i think a sub 3hr marathon is beyond me and i would like to put that down to age rather than inability!!image
  • I didn't read all the threads!!!! But....I am 13 half stone and about to run 2 half marathons in a month. I am up to mileage in training. But I was half a stone lighter last year when I ran my first 10k! I have put on weight since training and running further for this event!!!!

I am now trying to reduce and correct any blemishes in my diet! But am well annoyed that I am running more eating the same as when training for 10k and putting on weight!!!!

May give up! (I wont) but its frustrating matt

• i'm currently about 61kg and 25% BF (ish - measuerd on scales so not accurate but should give good idea of any change). 

i'm about to start an experiment tomorrow with 4 weeks of high intensity weights and HIIT with just one (longish) run a week.  combined with a high protien calorie controlled diet.

will report back on progress in a few weeks.

• ounds good M

Good luck with it all.

Going to see if I am any faster today but at least not gained weight just stayed the same but feel stronger.....

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Well I raced at weekend and managed a little PB which went back to 2005 pre injury dont think i weigh any less than back then but my nutrition is excellent Sports nutritionist is pleased with the way it is working for me.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I'v ejust made those Blureberry Muffins in Runners World, nice and tasty, had one for the day... takes me to 1000 calories for the day again image

Hope everyone elses weight is plumeting?

Pug image

• Oh yeah, forgot, this is the end of day 9 of my insane diet... weights coming down I know, but haven't got on scales... knocked out another 50 mile week last week with a 2:19 20 miler...

Going to get weighed on the 16th February and hoping I hit that 1 stone of weight loss!

Pug image

• Yeha, just missed that, ncie one Poppster  ;-)

Pug image

• Thank you guys I wanted to be a little faster but still a 4 min PB is not to be sniffed at...just wait till the weight comes offimage

Those muffins look really niceimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • 42-12 10K for me today. Plan to make the muffins over the weekend. 
  • Yeah them muffins are tasty, but I didn't get the best Blueberries, not very tasty at all really... also, work of advice, I made the mixture up and 12 muffins, however, they're not the biggest... infact they're about 1/2 of one from say starbucks... bear in mind if you want a daddy sized one image

Pug image

• yep, but that'd be double the calories etc  for the bigger ones - thats not really the idea!! image
  • True... but that means I can just eat 1/2 a Star Bucks one and be happier. Still, the ones I've made are nice, plus, slapped alot more blueberries in than it says'...  well tasty.

As for my weight atm, wasn't going to get on the scales until next month...but I got weighed this morning, couldn't resist it... was 88.6kg (13st 13lbs) when I ran Tattenhall Borders Race on the 9th December, 85.1kg (13st 5lbs) on 20th January the morning of the Helsby Half Marathon...  now weighing in at 82kg (12st 12lbs) smack on this morning... so, around 6.6 pounds lost in the last 10 days... with 17 days of my diet to go, I could be weighing in very close to 12 stone come Village Bakery Half on the 17th February... Watch Out, Puglet's About image And hopefully smaller than he was... I reckon I can hit 11st 7lbs for London with a bit of pain!

Pug image
  • Ok ingredients are bought........
  • Hi, I think I'm roughly about 10.5 - 11 stone at around 5'11 in height. The only problem is the last time I weighed in at 9 stone it didn't seem that healthy to me. I mean it's all very well losing all this weight in order to get faster but sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it.

I coach kayaking and I used to coach climbing up until a year ago. Both of these sports are partially about weight and balance but there is no indication that being ridiculously skinny is the best solution as you lose a lot of upper body strength - something you will regret in old age as this can have serious, detrimental affects.

I think that it's best to have a balanced physique - if you have a strong core and good muscle tone in your upper body I think you are more likely to succeed in your goals. Quite a bit of running does come from the upper-body as well as it helps to propell you forward at a faster rate.

Some of you might not like this, some of you might, some of you are probably indifferent but I do and have coached different sports. Ok it's not your sport necessarily but I think that we can always take away generic ideas from any sport we do and apply them to others.

• I completly agree mate, it's a fine line between weight loss/muscle loss and fatigue and weak body...

For me personally I carry way too much upper body muscle... this is me last year at edinburgh, I'm 6ft 1" and was around 12st 10lbs on the day of this race... I look heavy...

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk//Edinburgh_Marathon/mark8.jpg

Just don't look like a runner so I know I've got easily 16-18lbs to lose off that weight... however, it's trying to get down to that at the moment.

yeah it's always different for different people, I'm expecting my weight to be around 11st 7lbs for London and 11st 2lbs for Edinburgh, any less and I'll lose strength.

Pug image

• Hi - yep i totally agree with what you say James B. i know i'm not overweight but feel another 4-5 lbs off would make my running easier nad more efficient. But still, i'm just eating a healthy diet avoiding the chocoalte completely ( part fro the RW muffins which i'll make today) and minimal alcohol. My mileage was just over 200 for january with swims and rowing as well Cant increase exercise any more. Good luck all.
  • Pug, you don't look heavy, far from it. If, as far as this thread goes, your considered to be heavily built, then theres some serious body dismorphia going here! I would say you look normal, do you really wan't to look like a stick?
  • Lardarse The thing is, I got to running 35 minute 10k's... and when you're up there you suddenly notice how skinny everyone is... alot skinnier than me, it's not wanting to look skinny, it's being that I know if I lose weight, I'll be faster... and know for Running, 11st 5lbs would be around right and perfect... that way I'd know all my training is being used and not being used to cart fat around, I'm currently 15% fat at 12st 11lbs this morning, that needs to be around 7-8% by London...

Pug image

• I ran my all PBs when 'underweight' years back but feel so much better running a 8lbs heavier.  As now; (injured 2 weeks+, Christmas/NY etc image  ).

So do we run to enjoy or to win..... 

• I've said this on other threads, but I hate running... it's not enjoyable for me... however, I love competition and racing... just lining up and pushing to the max is fantastic feeling, one of the best in the world. I basically run to see how fast I can go... simply so I have no regrets when I am "past it" whenever that is...

I certainly don't enjoy going for a run though, never have, but I know I have to do it to get where and what I have to be. Which is why I'm killing myself with this diet, which'll help me to get faster at the same time as training.

Actually got a 5 mile race tomorrow... however, not up for it... as it's not really somethign I wanted to do, it's for the club... however, it's camaradery in this case and good to be with the lads and girls.

Pug image

• Pugheaven, I know exactly what you mean about training, or rather racing  being a waste of time when you are too heavy to get the best out of yourself.  I keep calculating the pace I'd be running at when I am one stone lighter, let alone the c 1st 5lbs lighter as I was when I ran all my PBs.

Though I really enjoy all, well 90% at least, of the training I do, but also remember how much more enjoyable it was when I was lighter, and could feel that I was moving more easiily.  

Still, c 6lbs down since this thread started, and beginning to notice it.

• Pug, i know why your doing it, thats fair enough (though theres no point me going to that extreme because i know i'd still be hopeless)!

I can honestly say i really enjoy running, but then i don't go out trying to run pb's all the time, i'm slow, so i feel no pressure.

I just honestly, really don't think your that big. I'll be pleased if i can get down to a normal sedantry weight...

• Just weighed in at 79.9kg, come on, under the big 80... so head down for another 24 days and hopefully sub 12 stone! Was 88.6kg don't forget on the 12th December...

Did a 5 mile road race Sunday BTW and did 30.11, which ain't bad considering only just coming back... happy with that...

Pug image

• Treadmill,
    For many years I've run purely for the "enjoyment" of it. However, I also derive great joy from running PBs. I've decided that I'm willing to spend a few years training really hard and maintaining what I think is optimum race weight for me, in order to set some lifetime PBs that I'll hopefully be able to look back on as an old man, happy in the knowledge that I left no stone unturned in the pursuit of the best race times I could manage.