Weight & Performance

Comments

• I think a sin list is a good way to go but awaiting my sports nutritionist findings next week after keeping food and training diary for a week but this is not a normal week as off work and have a virus! so training and food maybe  a little different to the norm
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    WP

16 % on a woman is BLOODY LOW (equiv to 6% ish on a man) what weight can you possibly be trying to lose ?

my BF is around 10%
  • Gobi

I have a set of Tanita body fat scales at home and It cant be right I am looking to lose 1.5 stone I am 9.2lb and 5ft 2"

Honest I do have weight to lose and fat just shows how in accurate the things are I was told the best way to test is callipers so just using the  reading as a benchmark

my BMI is 23 so that will show you I am not wafer thin.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Brut 33 or Hai Karate for me.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL TR

AU natural for me

WP, my bmi is 24.2, I see your point. Ps. on my diet from the other thread I do not lose weight, fluxuation is about 1.5 kgs (73-74.5)
  • Gobi

I have same problem but I think for me I was not eating enough for my training will be interesting to see what my sports nutritionist comes up with for me. I fluxuate from 9.1-9.5

You off course run a heck of a lot more miles than me(I only av 75) and obviously I dont know portion sizes but does not seem enough so maybe you need to look at that side of things???

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • PS I am in process of  trying to  aquiring callipersimage

Not sure I really want to knowimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    WP, I'm a qualified nutritionist, food is not perfect as I like junk but has more than enough calls to make sure that I do not lose weight.
  • Gobi

Okay Did not realise you were a sports Nutritionist(oh dear a bit like telling Grandma how to suck eggs)
    you know best about cals etc and what food you like to eat

According to mine it is the timing that is crucial(will know more next week when we have our 2 hour home visit meeting when she has analyised my training and food...yikes think I will have to take it on the chin about my food.She is well respected  and I am not paying money for it to be wasted so will be following it to the letter and hopefully will be a big improvement on my energy levels and weight loss.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Gobi.

If I did the training that Zatopek did, I wouldn't have the energy left to eat !

I'll read again his chapter in 'Running with the Legends' book. Agreed he was a superb athlete.

I know what I shouldn't eat. It's discipling myself not to, is what I find hard !!

Cheers anyway.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    WP, knowing and doing do not always meet :¬)

I cut things as close to the line as I can but still like to eat normal foods.

Birkmyre

Man was a legend and his training awesome "I could be him" :¬)
  • Gobi: You're right Zatopek was a true sporting legend.

Might ask for his biography as a Chrissy present or failing that, ask my local library to get a copy.

Still avoiding the chocs that Mrs B's received for her birthday. This is an early 'battle' for me. The thing is they'll still be there, then the Christmas ones will arrive. If I can keep my discipline over this next month I will be one happy and slimmer Birkmyre.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Birkmyre

I must admit that a sucessful December for me is to hit Boxing day lighter than I was last year on Boxing day.

Well done on the chocs
  • It must hard if you are a choccie lover well done

Good luck being lighter on boxing day this year than last year.

I have a race this boxing day so if I am lighter than last year and beat my time from 2005 I will have done wellimage(did not race last Boxing day due to injuries)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm racing Xmas day, Boxing day, New Years Eve and New Years day I think :¬)
  • Some People are such show offsimage

if I could find some races i would do as wellimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi,

Get your slippers on and have a few mince pies on Christmas Day.

I'll not run on Christmas Day or Boxing Day - my wife would have my guts for garters !

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR

I have Rach and she is just as bad as me.

I am sure a few mince pies will be eaten though

G
  • I was going to do the round the walls race in Chester boxing day but once again I'm a clot and forgot to enter!

Pug image

• I'd love to race on boxing day and there is one but my family would probably kill me!

I'm really finding now that I am keeping my food intake down that having slow or fast release carbs is making a huge difference. Yesterday I had lentil soup and a bagel for lunch and had a total crash in the afternoon (it was a day off from training so not caused by that) - went all wobbly and had to find emergency food. When I have lots of slow release veggies for lunch that doesn't happen.

• Mel That happen's to me usually when training usually once a week and not nice!!

What foods do you find stops the crash?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    IM/WP

I never crash, don't get wobbles. My legs get tired when I have done 90 miles or so and I get thirsty sometimes when I don't take a drink on 2hr runs and it is warmer than I thought. I guess again my conclusion is that I am eating more than enough and making no effort to diet at all really.

G
  • Poppy, when I do crash, I need fast sugar right away, sometimes even something really simple like a spoonful of honey, and then something more sensible. Yesterday I had 2 rice cakes with almond butter and jam - jam for the fast sugar and the rice cakes and almond butter for longer term. I was reeling about all over the kitchen when I was making them!

Gobi, I think you eat often enough that there is never any danger of crashing - I'm just the same when I'm not dieting: I eat about every two hours and that way I'm fine. But at the moment my snacks are much smaller and yesterday I skipped one I think, so got to wobbly levels.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    IM

Rach and I laugh about it because I CANNOT do hungry as soon as I even get a slight pang I am in the fridge

G

ps. I do eat less than I use to
  • Thanks Gobi/Mel

Gobi

Sounds like you eat enough and good you dont get crashes

What I have found when i get the wobbles/crash on a run I have to find shop for sugar rush and tricky for me as cant eat anything....jelly tots or tooty fruties Helps

I need to make sure the food prior to run is enough.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • did a 5k TT 2 months a go and lost 6 lb in weight and havent really changed or upped my training since so the theory is about a 20 second improvement when I come to do the same time trial  next week??
  • This is my plan with a weigh in this morning when I wake up...

"Weight
    Pounds"    "Weight
                KG's"    BMI    Date
    189.20    86.00    25.01    08/12/2007
    187.00    85.00    24.72    15/12/2007
    184.80    84.00    24.43    22/12/2007
    182.60    83.00    24.14    29/12/2007
    180.40    82.00    23.85    05/01/2008
    178.20    81.00    23.56    12/01/2008
    176.00    80.00    23.27    19/01/2008
    173.80    79.00    22.98    26/01/2008
    171.60    78.00    22.69    02/02/2008
    169.40    77.00    22.40    09/02/2008
    167.20    76.00    22.11    16/02/2008
    165.00    75.00    21.81    23/02/2008
    162.80    74.00    21.52    01/03/2008
    160.60    73.00    21.23    08/03/2008
    158.40    72.00    20.94    15/03/2008
    156.20    71.00    20.65    22/03/2008
    154.00    70.00    20.36    29/03/2008

• SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Poppy
    Sorry if I've said this before but could your "crashing" problem be lack of fluids?
  • WP: Iam a chocolate lover as my current weight shows ! But I'd forgotten about the mince pies !!!

Well if I've to avoid chocs, I'll allow myself the mince pies, seeing as its Christmas.

I have a 'new' mindset re my eating. I'm serious again. At last.

• are people not seriously worried that all this could cause serious eating disorders? i know people are adults and seneible enough but there's a lot of negative feedback behind it all, for example- i am currently 60kg, when i had anorexia and was 48kg i ran a marathon in 3h50m, not sure how the hell i did it with about 800 cals a day max. now i am scared i will run so much slower this year, and the only way to get quicker is to stop eating?

this article must have messed wth a lot of peoples heads.