Weight & Performance

Comments

• TR hahaha the cheek of it, just because I put on 24lbs while away from running doesn't make me fat, it's makes me obsese lol...

Yeah well, trying to get some form back, so chuffed with that time beyond belief...  been calculating, and 14lbs of weight loss is around 2.5 minutes give or take, so that puts me in 37:30 shape give or take at the same weight I was in may before the injury... so... just gotta lose the weight again, it's coming off though... was 84.7kg this morning before the race, down from 88.6kg 21 days ago...

Pug image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Going well Chunky Lad

I'm as always around 73(72.8 this morning) Happy enough as my December goal is to keep my weight under 75kgs.
  • That's a nice bit of allowance there for Christmas Gobi. I reckon that's got to amount to a large tin of Roses and a bit more junk on top? image

I ate everything in sight (and then some) at the weekend, got very little training done, but only weigh about 1/2 a lb more than before the weekend (for the metrically minded amongst you, 64.3kg). I guess shivering outside in the cold trying to break concrete and get fencing in is not a bad way to burn calories then....still feel rotten for it though and prefer running, as at least there's some chance of keeping warm!

Pug - I dread to ask, but what are you doing to lose the weight so quickly?
  • TippTop Eating a full and healthy diet image Honest hahahaha

Pug image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TT last year on boxing day I was 78kgs the year before I was 80

75 would be amazing progress :¬)

Pug Lad, you are telling but not eating porkie pies again !!
  • I seem to consistant at 9.02lb

But dietician  lady meeting tomorrow so all will change from tomorrow!!

I have lost 8lb in last 4 months but only due to training hard and not injured may have to increase the trainingimage but again a fine  line i don't want to go over the line and get injured again.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Pug - a full and healthy diet? Pants on fire by any chance?

That is good progress Gobi. I reckon I've only got minimal weight to lose at the moment, but I'm working on knocking up a few lbs by Christmas (I've got to make my resolutions kinda achievable)....

WP - good luck with the dietician. I could do with seeing one of those myself to find out what my allergies are (currently having to go dairy free which makes a difference, but I'm still having problems).
  • Tipp Top- She is a sports nutritionist and more about eating for my training and to reduce weight she had me keep a food diary and training diary...bet you anything I dont eat enough

(i am dairy free I also suffer with allergies and have an almost Vegan diet so a tricky one to get right especially as suffer with pernicious aneamia....just shoot me

What problems are you having?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Why do people think Puglet is telling Meltin' mobury Pies? imageimageimage If it works, stick to it me thinks image

Poppy Well done on the weight loss, I reckon that's good for around 80 seconds over a 10k course image

Pug image

• 83.8Kg this morning...

Pug image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    so still huge then Pug :¬0

I was 73kgs with my clothes on.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I'm still the same lean and mean 12 stone as always.
  • WP - still not 100% sure, but been through a load of tests, and it looks like IBS*. Basically I can't eat within 5-6 hours of a race/hard session, so tend to save breakfast for after races now which seems to work fine. Still have no end of problems though, which is where an allergy test/dietician would come in handy. How did it go?

* by IBS I mean properly diagnosed, as opposed to the usual doctor thing of saying "you've got a permanently upset stomach, must be IBS then" just to get rid of you.
  • Robo-Gobi wrote (see)
    so still huge then Pug :¬0

I was 73kgs with my clothes on.

Hey, what's the missus been saying  imageimageimage

Pug image

• Tip topp

My Son had IBS from the age of 8 so i know what he went through not niceimage
    He had to from mememory take foul medicine, apricots, weetibix and lots of other food  but the bowl of weetibix helped him bigtime.

Meeting with sports dietician went well good god lots to think about she was here 3 hours going through all i like what i should it, when I should eat it in relation to my training she was very thorough.

Not eating enough

not eating at right times

not enough protiens

not enough B12 or iron

too much ferrous sulphate have to drop it from 3 tabs to 1!!

Change around my whole diet cant wait to get stuck into it

No more gels as a source of energy except for races no more energy bars but emergencies

Off for a lie down think i need it but she was impressed how well i had done considwering my limitationsnin my diet...I am the first endurance veggie-vegan athlete  she has had and I was a nice challenge for her normally she tells them to eat meat!!! but we did find a source of food non animal that has a high content of iron more than meatimage

so plan in 2 days we have follow up meeting in a month and she expects no more fatigue, no more illnesses as this is also to boost my immune system.

I am excited and to lose weight as wellimage

Boxing day race here I comeimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • TT- Holland and barret do allergy testing as do York labs.........hope you get it sorted but a sports dietician is certainly worth it , it was for me.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP. it all sounds really interesting.  Fascinating to hear how it goes for you.  Really well I hope.

Had my work Xmas lunch today - the usual stuff, so missed out on my easy lunchtime run, followed by a bowl of soup and couple of pieces of bread.  I was fully expecting to feel rather sick for my early evening track session, but it went really well,   Perhaps I'll try and eat more on Tues lunchtimes in future (No problem next Tues, then - though maybe will miss out on the speedwork, after image)

• Went to a sports and nutrition lecture on Monday because I'd been eating what I thought was right - fruit and veg, balanced diet, carbs, protein - and it was very informative.

3 things of note stood out.

1. A balanced and healthy lifestyle (not diet as in denial) is the right thing to have - don't cut out anything with the eating (chocolate etc is OK in moderation). That was good to know.

2. Supplements can help but usually only if you have specific problems. Popping pills generally isn't a good idea.

3. BMI is a very poor indicator for us 'athletes'. It's OK for normal sedantary people. The England rugby squad are all clinically obese if BMI is the measurement. A far better way to to get your lean muscle and fat content measured, or alternatively waist size. There are guidelines for what is healthy and what is not linked to these measurements but I can't remember them !

So BMI is out for me. (Original subject of this thread).

• Hi WP. Cheers for the tip with H&B, I've got to go in there Friday anyway, so will check it out. Sounds like you've got plenty of info there to keep you busy! Generally I'm quite good on the diet side of things, preferring fresh to processed foods, etc, but I would imagine I could still improve, especially as I have a weakness for junk occasionally!
    I think the next step the doc wants to take is to get me an appt with a dietician anyway, so that would be handy. On the IBS front I've got to take fybogel morning and night which seems to help.....

fez - re: point 3, I totally agree. % bodyfat is a much better indicator of health than BMI.
  • There is no statistical evidence that having a high BMI due to a large amount of muscle is associated with better health and survival than having a high BMI due to fat, whatever we "athletes" would like to think.
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭

That's interesting, Vraps. Haven't there been studies showing it is healthier to be overweight and fit than thin and inactive? Or does that only apply to aerobic fitness (i.e. not necessarily involving large amounts of muscle)?

Poppy
    Very interesting to read your nutritionist's comments.
    What was the non-animal iron source she recommended? I believe the trouble with plant sources is that the iron is not absorbed so well.

• Another 2lbs lost for me. This Zatopek style training works !

If I've lost 4Lbs over the next 2 weeks I'll be amazed !!!

However its boosted my confidence.

Mind you ain't touched the mince pies yet...

• I read in the times recently that an fit obese man is 30% less likely to die early (ie. health-related problems) than an incredibly unfit man with a lower than average BMI.

Of course, most of these studies don't take body composition into account. By BMI standards, most cover models and bodybuilders are "obese", yet many have single figure body-fat percentages. 

• Laura-yes I live in Wales wonder what gave it awayimage

Chouette-Normally the case with plant form of iron but this food Rocks it ticks all her boxes and B12 boxes as well

Grape nut crereal

Grape-Nuts™
    http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/kraft/images/global/clear.gif

http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/kraft/images/global/clear.gif

http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/cmslite/kraft/images/global/clear.gif

Grape-Nuts is a high fibre, low fat cereal made from crunchy wheat and malted barley. Grape-Nuts differ from ordinary cereals as each wholesome nugget actually stays deliciously crunchy in milk!

This unique, naturally sweet cereal was created in 1897 by Charles W Post, a pioneer of the cereal industry working from his little, white barn in Battle Creek, Michigan, USA. Post selected the rather unusual name, Grape-Nuts, because it contained maltose, which he called 'grape sugar' and the distinctive flavour reminded him of 'Nuts'.

Today, we still make Grape-Nuts in an old fashioned gas fired oven which accounts for its unique appearance and taste.

Grape-Nuts is a great-tasting part of a low fat, healthy, balanced diet, with each serving fortified with six essential vitamins which help to release the energy from the foods you eat.  Grape-Nuts also provide an excellent source of folic acid and iron - which are essential for building the red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body.

So start your day with the wholesome goodness and nutty crunch of Grape-Nuts.

For my iron and B12 I have to eat:

Spinach...already do

Green veggie...just need to eat more of them

Eggs...actually eat then rather than buy then then bin then

Lavabread.....have been but lax lately

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Birkmyre- well done on weight loss----Stand back from the mince pies you dont need themimage
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    mmmmmmmmmmm

mince pies :¬)
  • Mincer hey Gobi? image

Pug image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    only at the weekends Pug :¬0
  • Goodness are you all at your targets and dont need to post......OR have you guys been badimage
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression