Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

Comments

• brilliant day - Spud thanks for a terrific event, all the marshals did a great job and I for one thoroughly enjoyed myself image
  • I want to thank Spud too for this! The marshalls were all friendly & I felt safe, even on the dodgy parts of the road. I also thought that there were ample drinks stations to choose from, which was fab! & The horse brass is wicked too!

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

& Thanx to 'Him Upstairs' for the fantastic weather!

xxxx

• Sorry to those who didn't finish, or couldn't start. Next time (there generally is one image)

Thought the organisation and marshalling were fabulous and had a brilliant day. FB posted the time, thanks to him and Ferret for making the run so enjoyabe and Petal for popping up literally everywhere. Thanks also to Mr AJH who finally did pop up, the cup of tea was lovely. Fish and chips were lovely too.

Have ordered a t shirt as I like things with my name on and I was very happy to be running this special event image

Was lovely to see lots of people again (specially RichK, it's been aaaaages) and thanks to the Fetch supporters for the sweets.

Hope you feel better soon Melds.

• Bliddy marvellous event-thank you!

tough course though, and that shingle art the end

VERY impressed with the marshalling and the changing facilities and the free tea and coffee and the nice man form brooks who actually had a sports bra in my size and let me change in his van

(Yup, I forgot my sports bra)

• Hee hee, you're not the first.....lots of safety pins saved me once. Not very comfortable........

• Did he finish his shopping AJH ??
  • He had to sneak some bags in while I pretended not to look.....................so I think so image
  • great to see you melds, and sorry you couldnt run

fetchpoint were brill , and so were the JFDI crew who kept popping up around the course

Sorry to hear about SBF and Mr Finknottle

• I missed you at the start Hipps so it was good to surprise you at mile 8 !

I was a bit shocked wasnt I

I thought you would be running

• so did I up until last night !!     I have been avoiding every lurgified person at work and everything
  • Excellent event and, as you all say, excellent marshalling.

PB for the year - given the first 4 miles, i was pleased with that.

Does feel good to have been part of a special event like this - Hastings should be proud of the whole day.

Was a touch chilly - I stopped shaving a few weeks back because of the cold training runs - i'll never slag zz top off again, the fuzz was a life saver..

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Just got back home, had a good run.  Came in at 3:46, was on course for 3:40 until the last 3 miles when I pulled something in my groin and that slowed me to a shuffle.

Well done spud, great race, really special.  And well done to all the marshalls who did a great job.

Nice to meet some of you, now off to put my feet up.

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Great event! A million thanks to Spud and the army of marshalls, helpers, etc. You did us proud.

Congrats also to all those who finished (and commiserations to those who didn't).

As for me, started with Chi, Susan and Mr M. Mr M lost us after the first mile as he went haring off. Stayed with Chi and Susan for a while in a steady start (first 3 miles for me 9:02, 7:55, 9:00) but then pushed on. If truth be told, picked it up too much for the course. Next 10 miles 8:38, 8:35, 8:17, 8:02, 8:05, 8:33, 8:34, 9:08 (hill!) 8:11 and 8:40, so reached half-way in c.1:52.

Still felt pretty good at this stage, and was running with the electrician from my running club but he soon pulled away. Next 5 miles 8:17, 8:26, 8:29, 9:21 (another hill!) and 8:33. At this stage (mile 18 onwards – ironically the part of the course close to my home) I started to feel it. Next 6 splits 9:08, 9:14, 9:58, 10:13, 10:30 and 10:34.

At this stage I was seriously thinking about stopping and it was only the encouragement of a very helpful marshall who could see I was struggling that kept me going, but still slowly. Mile 25 11:16. Then I could see the pier looming and knew that I was nearly home and that if I picked the pace up I could manage sub-4. Mile 26 10:18 and 1:41 for the last 0.2 of a mile. I even managed a sprint over the last 150 metres to the finishing gantry. Garmin time 3:56:51, official chip to chip time 3:56:33. SOOO GLAD TO FINISH!

• Well, I am EXHAUSTED after this week but am back form Hastings marathon, and wow what a day! My head is in a MUCH better place now, I really NEEDED to run this marathon. It was tough.Long journey down, and I forgot my sports bra so was very stressed this morning.Was saved by a lovely man form Brooks sports, who not only had a bra in my size, but he let me try it on in his van.Sportjock are not half bad you know(though I think I could have done with an extra small super-weird sizing)

The course was tough, I am ashamed to say that I was walking by mile three –the huge hill turned a corner and got even worse, and I am afraid I wimped out.

Once I start walking in a marathon then I run walk to the end, so I wasn’t hopeful of a decent time after that.I decided “no heroics” given the week I have had, and decided that I could probably think about a sub five as a target.It was cold and there was sea fret, I couldn’t see for the first half of the race(steamy specs). I was glad of my gloves.

I kept running and walking when I felt like it. My legs took eight miles to warm up instead of the usual three, so I didnt hit my usual twelve mile bad patch, this hit at mile sixteewhich is usually when I am getting my second wind as I go into single figuresThis was new psychological territory for me, and I don’t think I handled it that well.

I still cant get used to hsivng people around me in marathons, I am used to being solitary at the back.I didn’t handle that well either.Overtaking is difficult and stressful for me, and draws on energy reserves I just didn’t have today.

Still, I plodded on, just keeping going.Today I had no doubts about finishing as I did in Cornish. I NEEDED this marathon. At times(I guess on the downhills), I almost felt relaxed.

There must have been long downhills, as my slowest  mile even with walking was 12 minutes.

There were lots of sub 10 minute miles and up until 20 miles, I was on for a sub 4.30, I had no idea how, I seemed to be walking a lot.

I found the last 6 miles along the seafront very hard, and cold.I didn’t want to put my jacket on as it would obscure my number, but I felt very VERY cold and tired now. The shingle for a mile at mile 23 was horrible and energy sapping, I guess I knew then that I wouldn’t make sub 4.30 and settled for a target of sub 4.35, whiuch I made with 30 seconds to spare .This i.my fourth fastest ever marathon, and I am not sure how, with the amount of walking I did.

It doesnt matter anyway.Its my 90th marathon and it has sorted my head temporarily, so I wont quibble about the whys and wherefores.

(Although I am already wondering what I might be capable of with a little formal training, a bit more pushing and maybe a less frenetic week beforehand).

Some highlights:

Thanet roads runners (The JDFI bus) kept popping up around the course and shouting abuse at me-LOL.

Great to see Kazz, Redhead, UltraCcas, Meldy, One Blue Leg, Trinity, Foxy Davy, Kevski and Blind Paul(nice @rses guys) on the day.

The convoy of Santa bikers was truly surreal.

Marshalling was superb, not just encouraging, but the road management was exemplary, do you guys work as traffic cops in your spare time?

Fourteen drink stations with energy drink, food and even TEA.AWESOME!

Fetchpoint was simply AMAZING, you guys are STARS for hanging around in the cold.I really, REALLY appreciated it! It really helped at a very low point for me in the marathon.Thanks!

Brilliant marathon! Top drawer!

I wish it could be an annual fixture.

• What a brilliant race..  I was untrained, once again, so plodded round in 4:45 I think...  really well organised and just soooooooo many marshals and helpers...  flipping cold at times though..  my gloves had frost on them and my hair froze..!   Loved it..  shame I couldn't find the fish and chip posse afterwards though.........

It great to see so many pirates and forum people out there.. 

I must admit to struggling over the beachy pebbles part between 22-24, or something like that....  that was quite hard-going on my feet...

Thanks for support from the various people who kept popping up at kety places..  image

• that shinlge was shit dark wasnt it

i could have cried

• You raised so many points PH..   yes, the road marshelling was excellent and the Santa bikers was very unexpected...!

• Awesome day my second marathon and a PB 3h 55 so happy. The marshalls we're fab and the spectators gave me a lift at the right tomes so a big thank you. Look forward to competing in more next year. If anyone has any recommendations of events to run then please let me know. Off to my glas of wine and feet upimage.

• I REALLY hope they do this again, and not in 100 years

SUPERB!

• so do I,  I dont fancy deferring for 100 years   image
  • well, they cant say it wasnrt a success
  • Can I add my thanks to Spud and the team for an excellent race and the way that the marshals coped with a difficult course to make safe - even with a lot of A road running and some fast moving traffic they did a great job and it was an enjoyable day. The early hill and the shingle weren't fun but other than that it was great. Thanks everyone.
  • superb marshalling

superb

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

I agree, the shingle was hard going, sapped my energy and combined with the slight muscle pull it was hard to keep going.  Have to agree thoug, the support was excellent, special thanks to the sea cadet who tried to give me a lift by running alongside me, it was a nice thing to do.  

We still haven't met though Hipps.

• You would have recognized Hipps - she was the one without a bra.
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOT TRUE!

I got a nice sportjock form a nice man who let me try it on in his van

• what sorta 'ippo do you think I am?

i was gionna run in a normal bra, and they are BOULDER holders with my size

• I did it in 4:58 which was a few minutes quicker than I did Dublin a few months ago both due to recovering from an injury.

I Sky+ the this afternoon's south east news and there is a shot of me running just past the start. There may be more coverage on tomorrow nights local news at 6:30pm, if you have sky it is channel 983.

• Shortstop - No need to say thanks for keeping you going. YOU kept me going. I would of walked loads with those last 4 or 5 miles to go. So thankyou and we did a sprint finish! Yippee. I hope your time is right cause my watch said different but I will look at the results later.

You should be proud doing a time like that on your first Mara. Well done you image

Hope you get down those stairs ok image

Hope to see you at Reading or the next marathon. xx