Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

Comments

• Hipps - Your a hard lady to pin down. I never saw you at all!
  • Was aiming for a sub 3 today and fiished in 3.05.44 by my watch (3.05.24 in the results). Dissapointed? NO, firstly I tried my hardest and it just wan't meant to be and secondly it was a superb race! Tough, with the constant ups and downs making it hard to get a rythm and those shingles totally sapped my energy, they just seemd never ending. As others have said marshalling was very superb and support very enthusaistic. Well done Spud and your team!

Well done Shortstop and Tommy Gun 2 on your maraton debuts, great effort and was lovely meeting you, Kas, Iron Tractor Boy and the others Saturday night.

NTL

• You must have passed me late on then NTL, I was 3:06:00. What club colours were you in?
  • Ooooh that was nasty. My knee packed up on me around 16, and I got lost around 17. I don't know how far I went off course but eventually some civilian stopped me and pointed me to the seafront. I ended up missing a chunk of the course, but at that point I couldn't care less. I was now unable to run at all, and could barely walk with my knee refusing to bend without causing me to whimper and cry.

With the wind coming off the sea I was frozen and had to get out my emergency poncho. That wasn't enough to stop me shivering and I caused the ambulance staff at the next station enough concern that they wrapped a space blanket round me. As did the ambulance crew at the next station. And the next - who also offered me a proper blanket. But I refused that. Already I looked bad enough with poncho  and three space blankets tied round me, and me limping and whimpering. I felt like some refugee.

Thankfully the wind died down by the time I got to Hastings, and the accumulated space blankets began to do their trick.  At the 26 mile mark I got rid of the blankets and poncho, Gritted my teeth and did a one leg hobble jog to the finish with tears in my eyes from the pain and frigging relief. I missed the 5.30 cut off, but came in under six hours and got the horse brass.

I'll study a map later and try and work out how much distance I cut. I propably ended up doing the original distance, which was 25 miles I think.

Apart from the absent marshal at around mile 17, the marshalling on this course was stunning. Big support, and very firm control of the traffic.

Did any one else notice the big fight between the marshall and the female taxi driver at the start? The marshall was being very firm and very brave. Though he should not have been physically hanging onto her steering wheel, I think she was leaving him little choice, as she was very angry and seemed determined to drive against and through the flow of the runners on a blind bend. On my second circuit the marshall had support of another marshall. They had got her to stop, and the second marshall was making a big point of shouting "Car in the road - take care", and waving people around her. Well done them!

The sight of the santa bikers was awesome, wasn't it!

• Yes I saw the confrontation  with the Cab diver.

Great day  enjoyed the events.  the drinks stations were fantastic with the water sports drinks and gels.

The bit on the beach was tough and was well over a mile which was more than I was expected.

Finished in 3.35.13 which is only 5 minutes or so off a PB but dressed in heavy cotton shirt and shorts and wig and moustashe, I was pretty happy. Moustache gave up and fell off after 4 miles.

• Steve X, what was your number as I might have a photo of you which I will gladly E mail.
  • Hooray - its done and dusted.  Did not bad third best time - 4.08 - hard hills, hard on shingle but hey brilliant organisation - thank you Spud. sorry did not really meet lots of you on the day - paul a would have liked to have shared an "only 26.2 miles" moment with you but sounds like you were way ahead of me... well done all and commiserations to those who were hurt, stopped etc... plodding hippo so glad you got a bra - how you could hold up the bosoms with safety pins I dont know - what are they talking about....

Tia and Shiva - good to meet you both and well done - sorry you had an injury Shiva - still did a great time.

Bit of rest then start the paris training - just lots of eating and drinking for a week or so... perfect timing!!

night all... 

• Hi Paul a. Don't belong to a runing club, was in a black long sleeve top with a yellow and blue vest over the top. Can't imagine I overtook anybody on the last couple of miles, was down to 9 mm by then, more likley you were catching me and run out of ground.

• Had fun shiverin' and shoutin' at Fetchpoint at the 21 mile mark . . started adding photos (including you, NTL image) . .

More to be posted later today . .

• good to see you yesterday Rich.  You worked hard to get that site together image

And, yes, big thanks to Fetchpoint...... even if I was too zonked out to realise that I had reached it!! 

• Thanks Rich, great photo's once more! And you caught me before the wheels came of image

• Another DNF, old jury in hip join came back to haunt me at 16 miles, luckily or unlucky for them there were 2 others that also DNF that kept me company until until they could find someone to pick us up.  Thanks also to the pub there that let us sit inside instead of freezing outside, also the BRX for giving me a blanket as well at the space thingy as I was beginning to freeze.

Well done to all those that did finish shame I won't be albe to do this in the future.

• Dear All,

Very well done and bad luck to those who couldn't start or finish.   Roll on 2108 eh?

Isn't it could to read a RW forum post a race and read nothing but praise - fantastic - so well done to Eric and all the organisers, marshalls and people of the area for supporting us.

I can only praise the event myself - my 29th full marathon which includes 12 London's and 4 New York's and this marathon rates VERY highly against them.

The course was testing but a great challenge and I thought the horse brass was a lovely 'prize'.

I was delighted to finish in 3:14:18 so all the hard work in training paid off and only the last couple of miles hurt!   I've just got 4 weeks to recover now for the Disney half marathon and full marathon (on consecutive days) on 10 and 11 Jan 09!

• A big thanks to Spud and all the very helpful marshalls. Brilliantly organised, more drinks stations than I expected and, for what I knew was going to be a tough one, a really good, memorable race.

While not my quickest marathon, that was definitely a PB for very hilly marathons in winter. I had expected the continuous, and then steep, climb out of Hastings for 4 or 5 miles, and knew it would then just become undulating through Battle until halfway. But I counted on the third section to Bexhill on the coast therefore being downhill. I don't know how we got to sea level because that section seemed to be either flat or up a series of further hills!!!

I also found that, unsurprisingly, when you slow your pace into a sea breeze in the final 6 miles along the seafront in December, you get pretty chilly. I was shaking under my foil blanket over a most welcome cup of tea at the finish. But I was delighted with 4:19, having set out expecting about 4:30 with the hills and conditions. As I crossed the line and saw 4:19, I even was pleased to have got under 4:20. Even more pleased now to find it upgraded to 4:18:53.

Many thanks also to Didds and his OH for their hospitality - the best post-marathon meal and welcome ever. Marathon number 5 chalked up (3 in 8 months). Am I mad to be doing Paris soon?

By the way, it's not often you see 40-odd Santas riding Harleys in battle!!!

• Agree with all thats been said - a great run, finished 20 mins ahead of my target with a PB, in 3 .19.34 so well pleased !  The marshalling was great. unlike everyone else I enjoyed the beach ! Nice to have a change from running on the roads.

Biggest surprise, I dumped my top at the beginning on one of the tables by the cafe, expecting it to disappear - amazed it was still there when I got back - good thing as I needed it !

• hey RichK - great to see you again - it's been a while! and yes, thanks to the Fetch crew at the de la Warr in Bexhill - I don't normally do solids during a race but the jelly babes went down well!

no pics of me, AJH or Ferret though?? how disappointing... image
  • What a great day, loved all the Father Christmas on motorbikes it was great...   This was my 3rd ever  marathon and 1st after having a baby 8months ago. After getting blisters half way round I finally finished at 5.36. 

It was a great atmosphere and thanks to all the fellow runners and marshals I met on the way round it really was a great day and I too hope I don’t have to wait another 100 years for the next one! image

• btx - was good to see you too image I looked for the Mermaid afterwards but couldn't find it image

I'm working my way through everyone . . you'll be Up Where You Belong before too long image

• you didn't look hard enough then - we had excellent fish & chipe there!

cheers about the pics
  • Hi all. 4-13 so knocked 4 mins off my personal best. V pleased. Was surprised only 1200 odd finishers. Know there were a few unlucky dnfs here, but must have been more than I thought.

Well done to everyone and a great event. See you in 2108!

• Morning all,

Wasn't it fab?! I loved every minute of it. Great to meet so many of you at the start and to chat with many others en-route.

Sorry that some of you had to drop out as it is always a tough decision to make and you must be disappointed.

I think everything about it was just right and Eric and his helpers did a marvellous job. The marshalls were so friendly and encouraging even to us back-of-packers and they must have been frozen solid. The horse brass is gorgeous and is now hanging alongside all my Hastings 1/2 brasses.

By the time I passed the Fetchpoint there was just Runnerbean and 2 other ladies there and it was so sweet of them to hang around for us slower runners so a massive thank you to them.

I hadn't really got a target time in mind but had wanted to finish in under 5:30 so I was pleased to finish in 5:12:46 which is a pb for the year.
  • Well done everyone !

Great first 12 miles, then the wheels fell off. Lovely bit of shingle to add to the fun.

Anyone know the webby for the official photographs ?

• Hi Everyone, You are all Heroes! Well Done Yesterday.

There has been some confusion on times. The Winning time was 2.36.51 not 2.36.31 as originally stated.This would have affected other times by 20 seconds also. This wil be corrected on web site by lunchtime today.

Amazingly the winning time in 1908 was 2.37.15, only 24 seconds out!

Photos go to www.photoevents.org.uk

A few postcard Packs left as a souvenir.

T and Hoodies go to campusclothing.co.uk

Film/DVD, Newspaper with Results etc. go www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/marathon

Good to meet so many of you,and thankyou for saying Hello,

Eric.

• well done Eric - good to shake your hand after the finish
  • Thank you Spud!! Amazing day!!
  • BB ✭✭✭

Hi Eric - Mr B ran it and wants me to pass on his thanks to you and all the marshalls and orgnaisers - it was a great event - surely we don't have to wait another 100 years....?

• Hi all,

Had a good day this was posted a personnel worst time 4 58 I think that will teach me to train. don't think yoiu can run a marathon with hills without proper training.

Any way thank you one blue leg for the encouagement on coures.

And well done everyone image

• A trully challenging course but well marshalled. A big thank you.

CB -  my number was 1297.

• Did it!  First marathon.  My objective was to firstly finish and then finish before the cut off.  As it was unknown, I though I'd save as much energy for the last 6 miles.  Got told off by a spectator at 16 miles, who said " You're looking far too good, put some effort into it!"  Had a slight struggle at mile 19, but came good for the last 6.  Feel guilty that maybe I should have struggled more?  The slow time of 5:18 I guess was why it didn't seem so bad, still an easy target to beat for a PB next time image

•  Dont worry about what spectators say. One told me that I was nearly there and that was at mile 14. Rule of thumb is that  miles 19/20 are half way. See how you feel then.