Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

Comments

• Rich, I didn't spot you, sorry image

Tia, thanks for saying "hi" at the start and well done on a great time.

Nice to meet BoBo too as I've only met PSC and junior before image

• I'll have another look, Ashley image

thanks Shiva, I'll move you to Where You Belong later this evening image

no worries, Redhead . . I've got a pic of you so look back later on tonight . . I know we've *spoken* in the forums now and again for 4 or 5 years and yesterday we almost met for the first time!! image

I'll be posting a photo of you too later on UltraCas image

• Feeling pleased with my time considering I didn't do any running for about 6 weeks before this race. However feeling a bit grumpy about the goodies. I paid £32 for the race and received the horse brass as a souvenir. Sure, it is better than a crummy old medal (boy I'm fed up with bloody medals!) but compared to a lot of other races, at least a T shirt would have made me feel that I'd got better value. Oh, I discover that you can BUY a T-Shirt for the princely sum of £16.00 . In these cash strapped times is £48 for a race and a souvenir T-shirt really good value? I know I'm being a grumpy old B***tard and I loved the race - good scenery, etc. but come on Hastings! Give us more for our money, or make the race cheaper.

• For the efforts that were put in I think £32 was just fine. Don't know many runners that are short of T-shirts.
  • I'm not short of T-Shirts but how many Horse Brasses does a man without a horse need? image
  • maybe if they still have the nice hoodys we could get them at a discount price - I would have loved one but could not afford the £30 odd quid...... image
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Rich - excellent photos thanks. Some more names for you:

Third page - all Bexhill Runners:

• Row 9, left hand photo - Mike Stokes
    • Row 28, left hand photo - Alex Hall
    • Row 42, left hand photo - me! David Crosby (AKA Didds)
    • Row 43 - #1253 - Ken Beattie
    • Row 44, middle photo - Jon Molton

Fifth page - RW FLM Sub-4 threadites (like me):

• Row 1, left hand photo #911 - Cruisin' Susan
    • Row 14, right hand photo C&C vest - Chi Monk

• thanks Didds image

too late for now . . I need to walk away from this machine!!  image I'll update the pages later in the week image

for now I've got all my photos up there so if you're in the amongst the people I don't know I can only apologise, let me know who you are (or leave it to Didds image) and which photo is you and I'll move you from one gallery to another later in the week image

• An excellent race and really well run. Well done Eric. I think for a one off with the difficulties with not closing off roads and shutting down a town centre for a day it was worth the cost.

Richk I'm half way down page 4 no. 64. Fantastic support - thank you.
  • Hi folks. I had such a great time yesterday. Got round in 4.25, which was 30 minutes quicker than planned. I followed three Hastings ladies in pink tutus for about 20 miles, which helped! Didn't get a chance to thank them for their pacing.

Is there any chance of this race happening again next year, or are they determined to make it a one-off?

Oh, and did you read about the guy who came second? Nearly missed the start because he got locked in the toilets. Had to phone his mum: http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/sport/Anderson-run-nearly-didn39t-begin.4793826.jp

• Hi neilruns - I ran with the Hastings ladies in tutu as well for most of the way. I was the one with the silly hat. They were very good pacers weren't they image
  • Rich k

Found a pic of me, thanks very much!

Bad day at the office for me! deli belly, but a good day all in all! finished 3.24.57.

i think the medal was very nice! always good to get something a lillte different! id rather have this than Londaon marathon medal anyday! Done 35 marathons all over uk and europe and its probably one of the best!

Well done to everyone who made it round, was a toughish course and dangerous at times but all in all i think the organisers did an ok job marshalling it, a nightmare job in places for them!

Did anyone see that crazy woman taxi drver on the 2nd lap of he town near the start??  poor marshallhad to sit on the bonnet of the car to stop her from running us all down!! so an especially big hanks to him i think! well done m8!!!!

• Alistair,

I think the race horse brass was brilliant and think £32 was excellent value.   T-Shirts could have been slightly cheaper to buy though - my only tiny gripe!   Thought the whole experience was brilliant.

• QBQB ✭✭✭

I thought that this was a great race and day, big thanks to the organisors, marshalls and spectators, and a well done to all runners. It was a good atmosphere out there!

Very pleased to achieve a pb of 3:23 in my 8th race and it was far lower than the 7 I'd run on non-flat courses. Bad news is that as I trained hardest for this race of the five this year, it proves hard work does pay off. I really was hoping to prove that I was in the 'less is more' team!

• Thanks for the photo Rich image
  • Message for Alastair,

I appreciate your financial angle. If you had any idea of how much it cost to stage this one off event(medical cover £3000 for example),you would understand. We felt it better to make a T. Shirt optional.

I can say that the Lions Club, wil receive a small commission from T. Shirt Sales,and of course any monies raised from the event will go back into the Community. The Lions do not take any remuneration for their efforts. If we had to pay for all the help, the entry fee would have had to be nearer £50.

Glad you enjoyed the Brass. This constituted a 5th of the entry money.

Thankyou for your support.

• Spud

Ignore the comment about the price - if you made it free someone would still have a gripe about it! I think many would have happily paid more to have taken part in a unique event.

I do hope that the Lions resist the temptation of staging it again until your successor does so in 2108 - the uniqueness of the event is what made the difference for many of us and I think we'd like to celebrate the fact that "I was there" taking part.

• Spud - glad you're checking in on the thread so we can tell you how much we appreciated a superbly organised event. The entry fee, paid ages ago, didn't even cross my mind. I loved the horse brass (even as a man who doesn't own a horse!) and I too appreciate the uniqueness of entering a race last staged when my grandfather was my age.

If people worry about cost, they ought to consider how much they also spent on travel costs, accomodation, dinner on Saturday evening and lunch on Sunday, plus any gels & drinks, new clothing, new trainers for this marathon, etc. We run because we love to run, and I am so pleased Didds persuaded a bunch of us to run his local one-off marathon, even more for how tough it was with the hills and the sea breeze.

• The guy here taking the moral high ground about people griping is the one with the almost Zen-like moniker "bollocks to xmas". image

I'm pleased that there are so many people for whom £50 is a mere drop in the ocean. I for one would like to enjoy my running and still remain financially solvent. It is a general point I'm making here - that the price of races has risen drastically over the last couple of years. I wonder if, as the credit crunch bites deeper, people will stop paying for the most expensive races and the price of entry will return to what I consider more reasonable, in much the same way that the petrol prices have dropped by 40% recently. It was a point well-made about the price of marshalling - if you had to pay for it, it would be too expensive. That would probably be true for anyone doing voluntary work for charity.

• RichK

page 4 - row 32, middle - no 771 is Suffolk Punch
  • AB - £50 doesn't bother me. I just take it out of my butler's footman's wages! Or at least I have a man who does that for me! image
  • RichK - as normal, thanks for the photos, much appreciated image

I am on pg 5, row 25, #457

• RichK,

I'm page 7, row 20, far right, yellow top hiding number + black cap.

Didds, Bollocks, thanks again for your local insight - by the time I hit the shingle 1000 runners had nicely compacted it so it was a pretty hard surface.

Spud,  I've already thanked you twice in person, once at the White Rock on saturday night, and after the race in the Town Hall, but for a 3rd time Thank you for organising such a great race!  I don't think I could have picked a better race to do as a first marathon.

Do you have any stats on how many runners started the race but failed to finish.  I guess the chip system should have the info?

• How much was it...?   I really can't remember.. I don't have a horse either, but I think I might now go and buy one just so that it can wear the brass...  image  

It was a brilliant race, and it should remain a 'one-off'... until 2108....

Well done Spud and to the huge number of people who assisted...   image

• I'm getting a horse for xmas......
  • Spud.............Just like to say thanks for a smashing run

not to sure about about the woodie bit but very well thought out.

Beach section was a killer......

Anyway thanks again...will be at the half next year.

• Nice pictures Richk,

I'm on page 6,  row32, in the union jack vest....with the stupid grin image

Must say, i really enjoyed that race, took it very easy, and just had a laugh, great marshalling, great atmoshphere, well done everyone.

BTW, Bollocks to xmas, i imagined you'd be taller! imageimage

• Lardarse - I am - it was the 2 others I was running with who made me look shorter.....

AB - fair comment but please stop griping about the price. You knew how much you were paying when you signed up, you knew t-shirts were extra (if not - you hadn't read the info), so you knew how much it was going to cost you. You didn't have to enter! You had a choice to pay or not pay - that's how these things work surprisngly.

as for goodie bags - personally I'm pleased there wasn't one as practically every one I've had from a UK race has been a waste of time with very little useful content and mostly crap advertising flyers.
  • I agree goodie bags are usually a waste of time and the horse brass is lovely - it was seeing a pic of that in the programme that made me decide to wing it on sunday and I am sooooo glad I did image

Plus I prefer to opt in to buy a t-shirt and have the chance to choose one that fits!