Just Get Round Team?!

Comments

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My Garmin measured 27.72. I saw.it gradually get higher.

Really please to finishes in 5:28:35 the week after my pb time of 5:17,12 in Brighton.

• My Garmin said 25.55 and a time of 5:40......my official time was 5:54, go figure.

Oh and my garmin also said I reached a top m/m pace of 7:21.....thats a SPRINT for me.

• That's brilliant Tracey G - I don't think I could run the distance twice in successive weekends!! (infact I KNOW I couldn't!)
  • Hi everyone.

Got around in 4hrs 44mins. Suffered a bad calf injury at 18 miles (summit popped in back of calf!) and had to run / walk for 6 miles - by mile 25 I was so caught up with the crowd (they were amazing weren't they?) that I ran (at reduced pace!) remainder of way. Real buzz to cross the line.image

MadWelshwoman. Great to be able to meet up with you at the hotel. You did really great considering the injuries you were carrying and sustained.image

As Rob said - Heroes All!image 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Dee - I didn't know I could two marathons a week apart until I crossed the finish line.
  • Well I got round too.

I found the JGR pacer at back at blue. What a miserable bugger. He did not talk to anyone, he sprinted as soon as the walk session finished, after 5 miles i could see the next pacing group in front of us. 

I really took my time. I took my iphone with me and was taking lots of photos and even uploaded some to facebook whilst on my walking breaks.

But blisters really kicked in again after 2.5 miles, after 6 miles I think it popped. I just carried on running and  walking as planned. I stopped and talked to loads of kids thanking them for cheering me on. One boy even gave me a cuddle... 

I met my Mum on the tower bridge and stoppped for photos and a chat. My gf went to wrong side of bridge and was not able to see me so moved to embankment. Once I started running again my right leg cramped up big time. I could only go 2 mins before spasms of cramp gripped me. So I stopped at a St Johns  for them to massage my leg. They also looked at the blister and just wacked another plaster over the top of existing plaster.. I was with them for about 10 mins in all as there was a Q of runners needing help. They told me to drink more and esp drink the full amount of sports drinks. I continued to run for 2 mins until legs spasms started up again and then walked for 3 or 4 mins and so on up to about 20 mile point.

Stopped at mudchute for the RW cheering point. great support there.

canary wharf was amazing. I was given half a pint of lager by someone and cheered on CARLOS CARLOS CARLOS as i drank. fantastic

From 20 miles in was almost impossible to run as almost everyone was walking, I gave up and waited for the wider bits of road to run 1 or 2 miutes and walk 5 mins etc.

I was texting my GF every mile and knew where she was on embankment by this time. When I finally got near her she was busy filming the 2 hoola hoop girls so I went up behinf her and said boo. Stopped and had a cuddle and re enacted me running towards her. The last 2 miles on embankment are unreal. Crowds were amazing with shouts of come on Carlos everywhere.

So I finally run the last 200m to finish in 5 hours 51.      

26.8 mileson my garmin. I did beat the hoopa girls.....

I did not care about the time, this was about finished and enjoying the day.

Considering I had a heart attack May last year I was in tears to finish. I had done it.

Going back to hotel on trains people were stopping to say well done - amazing etc etc

Will I do it again. NO WAY I will stick to halfs.

• Well done Kiprano.

Your spirit in finishing and not giving in is an example to us all!image

• Well done Koprano excellent.......imageimageimageimageimageimageimage you are a champion
  • Koprano - you're awesome mate!! Fabaroony!!!!!
  • Tracey G - there's no way I could even consider it as I've had IT band issues for 3 years now, this last marathon was supposed to be the first one without pain - lol, I think my knee had other plans!! You're fab though lovey - well done you!!!!
  • well done DeeDee you got round again...excellent stuff imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • hahahahaha Rob - yep, I'm like a bad smell - I linger..... though I'm starting to enjoy picking up random men in the last 10km!!! (can't remember this young mans name - but I got a hug from him!!)

Rob mate - you're amazing - how you did it in the costume - I salute you!!!
  • Nice....... i was a little hot......imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Hello all! I popped in here last week to ask advice re pacers...I too went with the JGR guy at the back of the pack - I agree...he had no intention of helping people get round...just stick to his pacing plan no matter who stayed with him! The first three miles were fine but his run part of the R/W was waaaaay too fast for me....I hung on as far as 5 miles I think...ah well...I still finished in a PW of 5:57 for me (PB being 5:13) - feet were knackered by the end...blisters galore!

Still I got the medal and the t shirt! image

Well done everybody!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ginger Fur Ball.

The 11 min pace was very nice, but couldn't keep up with him.
  • I agree about the 11min/mile pacers - they breezed passed me at mile 21 and I tried to keep up - but to no avail image They were nice lads though - (blue start pacers), sorry to hear about Mr grumpy pacing from the red start - that sucks!

But well done for getting round despite having Mr Grumpy pacer, Ginger Fur Ball image
  • morning my beautiful JGR'ers............................legs feeling a lot better today image
  • That's good news Rob, so the big question is - what've you got planned next?
  • want to do an iron man.......question is what one and when........image what about you....image

charity have saidi have a place for next year....so 2012 marathon...might run without a costume and go for PB.....image

• just popping in from the first timers thread to say congrats to you all. There wasnt anyone going for the run/walk pacer at blue and I just thought it was me! I was great with him that first few 12 min miles but just couldnt keep up when he sprinted off! Have been puzzling over it and desperately trying t work out how fast you have to run to be able to walk. I didnt train that way but was really hoping to keep the group in sight for 12 min miles for as long as possible! I did finish, slower than a slow thing 6hrs 16 and found it incredibly hard, much much worse than Id expected but hey, first marathon at 64 was ok!

Anyway all the best ....

• Chris S - where I was stood (ust near the 11min/mile pacer lots of people were looking for the JGR pacer - we could see their yellow sign but they seemed to be outside of the pen!!

Rob - I'd love to get an IM out of the way - or maybe forestman - but I really don't swim - it'd take me too long to do the swim leg - they'd DQ me!!

I'm half hoping to get up and do Loch Ness - but I really don't know if my knee has another mara in it -it was just so painful during London- I was in tears by mile 17 because of it (I tweeted the whole way round the marathon - and everyone noticed that I'd well and truly lost my sense of humour by that point!)...
    So, we'll have to wait and see image
  • I set off with the walk/run pacer in blue but stopped at 4 miles to meet up with my husband who set off from red with the run/walk pacer.  They had done the 5 mins run 1 min walk from the start where ours didn't start the walking until 3 miles.

Anyway My injury flared up at 8 miles so I couldn't even keep up with him and ended up doing an abysmal 7hrs 22 mins.

Still devastated and dreading going back to work.

Congratulations to all of you, you did yourselves proud.

xxx

• Dee we must have been pretty close at the back of the blue pen.

Once I realsied the pacer was staying at the very very back of the pen I stepped aside to let other runners go to join his group. There were about 15 runners very close by.

It was weird all these runners waiting for him to appear and him staying outside of the pen, I think he was a stand in for some one else. I tried to chat to him, but he just was not interested. Everyone was very surprised when after 5 minutes he did not stop to walk, he just said theres no point starting run walking till 3 miles. Well thats the first time I have heard that. The whole point of run walking is to stop you going to fast, but as I said before he was a miserable bugger and I was glad to leave him and the group and go back to my own run walking method.

• Koprano I must have seen you, I agree he was a bit of a miserable bugger. 

How did you get on ?

Corin

• And he also handed the pacing to some other guy while he went for a wee at about 2 and a bit miles!

I honestly think that if he had kept up that early easy pace I could have stayed with him for much, much longer. Ah well...I'll just have to train a wee bit harder.
  • Corin you completed it...be proud image
  • Corin - I agree with Rob - be proud - you finished when so many others didn't! image

As I understand it there wasn't anything saying that the JGR pacer was going to run the first 3 miles then start the run-walk strategy, it makes a mockery of the run-walk plans that train you to run-walk from the get go. Maybe he WAS a short notice stand in? Still a bit poor to have an attittude like that.
  • Two things today:

1) Aren't the official photos expensive!
    2) I've been talking to a few faster runners. I didn't realise that lots of people collapsed towards the end.

Anyone recommend a marathon thats easy to get into and is flat like London?
  • I agree Paul £15 for a photo !!! Insane

I ran for BHF and they had their own photographers, who then uploaded them to Flicr for you to download yourself. so see if your charity did something similar.

If any one is interested this is the link to my facebook photo album of the day, and then see if you guys did  indeed have seen me

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150586641420417.650066.865835416&l=e4579399ec   I saw loads of the faster runners being sick over the barriers, ive never seen that before in numbers I saw.