Running clubs in hackney or east

Hi there,

I'm new to this site, so hello everyone and thanks for reading my post.

Basically I've been running for about a year now, I've done a couple of half marathons (not great I might add, but I finished them) and I'm finding that my motivation is beginning to fizzle out. I've had a back injury and was unable to run for a bit and it's been very difficult getting back into it. So I decided I would join a running club, however, I have emailed 3 in my area and received no reply from any of them. I'm reluctant to just turn up without having speaking to someone 1st about joining to see if they'll accept a plodder like me!

I've got frustrated with searching for clubs, so does anyone know of any in the Hackney/Shoreditch/East London area? Not a very "running" type of area since very few green spaces, but thought I'd investigate as thoroughly as poss.

Thanks for reading!!

Sarah

Comments

• Try here

http://www.runnerswebuk.com/club_london.html, I've only been to Eton Manor, they were great, they're in Leyton so not a million miles away from Hackney.  Just turn up on a Tuesday or Thursday night. 

You have loads of green spaces in Hackney, how about Victoria Park or the marshes?  

• i always forget about victoria park, (and i work right next to it too!) and i don't think i've ever been to the marshes. only been in this area for short while-was in north london before.

thanks for your help! will check out the above website. image

• Here's the website for Eton Manor

http://www.eton-manor.com/

I was the slowest and they couldn't have been nicer to me!

• There is the mouthful that is Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC

• Here's a route taking in Victoria Park and the marshes

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/run_routes_08_index.html

All the greenery you could want!

• Sarah

Victoria Park running club meets tuesdays, thursdays and sunday mornings.

I've been down on Sunday, my gf has just joined and mostly runs during the week - she's the slowest of the bunch (runs about a 1 hour 10k time)....  the people I've met seem very friendly.

Drop me a line if you're still around, I'll be joining them fairly soon.  The park itself is quite good to run round anyway....

d.

• Hi Hamilton,

I got an email reply from vphthac saying to just come along on a tuesday and join in-that was a couple of weeks ago but not got round to going yet! i am hoping to go next tues-i'd quite like to do it before xmas to have somethin to look forward to in the new year. i'm quite slow, probably about the same as your gf i reckon, but in this cold weather it's tricky to motivate myself to get out!!

would be good to be join with some other new starters...

sc

• Sarah

I have recently joined Victoria Park Harriers (I'm Hamilton's gf). I originally went along for  a couple of sessions back in the summer and then managed to get a knee injury which meant i was unable to run for a couple of months. Any way I've just started back a couple of weeks ago and have found them to be very accommodating of my slowish pace - they certainly never leave you on your own. They meet Tues & Thurs at 19:00. They have changing/shower facilities on site. On Thursday most people generally go to their on-site (cheap) bar for a drink afterwards. I'm planning to go on Tues 18 Dec so i'll be happy to run with you - although I've never done a half marathon - 10k is my max.

They let you have your first couple of sessions free and then if you like it you can join (£7/month).

Hope to see you on Tues.

Susan

• Hi Susan,

Hoping to come to the club tonight, although it's so chilly! Will wrap up warm!

See you later,

Sarah

• Hi Sarah

I'm definately going so I'll see you there. There's a code for the door so just give it a knock and someone will let you in. I'll be wearing a bright yellow waterproof top and have blonde, curly hair.

See you later

Susan 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi there, good luck tonight, I am eton manor's ladies capt but was going to suggest v park as its closer for you!

Thanks for the nice words cathywimage 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Susan,

I just wanted to let you know I came home rather than staying on for a drink. I was shattered and had loads of stuff to do when I got home! Sorry I left without saying goodbye!

Hope you have a super christmas and will see u back at the club in the new year! (any idea when that is?! )

See u soon,

Sarah

• We have set up a midweek running club in Stoke Newington - essentially we just go out and do 10k ish run and then have a couple of beers in the pub. While running we bore each other about running. 

See the facebook page for details. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/406447409501248/

•  

London Heathside running and athletics club is based in Finsbury Park and has a lot of members in Stoke Newington, Dalston and Stamford Hill (as well as the rest of North London).

http://www.londonheathside.org.uk/home_news.htm