Options

Beginner-based marathon advice with Mike Gratton

Comments

• Options

HI ANNE PICARD   TRY DRINKING WARM WATER WITH FEW DROPS OF LIME OR LEMON AND AFTER HALF HOUR GO FOR YR RUN WALK   I DRINK HALF A GLASS COULD B 300ML EVERYDAY BEFORE MY RUN AND ALSO EAT AN APPLE SO TRY BUT DONT SUE ME A FELLOW RUNNER IN THE 60S WE USED TO RUN FOR MIES BEFORE WE TOUCHED WATER NEVER HEARD OF     DEHYDRATION  ON AN 8MILES HIKE WE DRANK WATER WEN WE REACHED OUR DESTINATION I THINK U CAN TRAIN YR BODY IN THE MORNING ON MY 6MILES RUN I COME HOME TO DRINK WARM WATER AFTER COMPLETING THE COURSE  OK BEST WISHES   MALKIE 

• Options

Mike

TEMPO RUN

Just read runners world toady and it says a tempo run is 20 - 30 seconds above 10k pace (this is a rough guide).

Using this my most recent 10k (not best this year) was @ 7:00 so 7:00 + 30 = 7:30

If I am really honest it is probably quicker than that as my last 10k was on the back of an injury so I must have improved with 3 weeks of training (In sep 10k pace was 06:45) - and tempo is 20 - 30 and I as using 30.  So lets be honest and use 20 but not allow anything for improvement and we have a fair tempo pace of  7:20

The closest I am running follwing my program is todays run Thu 4M (approx 32 mins) steady.

Steady is PMP 8:00 min mile. 

This means I am never doing a tempo run (not including intervals as I think that is tottally different).

I know this  is probably because my goal time is slower than my potential time but what should I do?

I am worried about getting injured as I have never run these sort of weekly milages before and have only just got over an injury so I dont want to overdo things.

On the other hand all my runs apart from Tuesday seem slow. I am tempted to change todays steady 4 miles to tempo and run @ 7:20 for 4 miles rather then @8:00 what do you think?

Kent

• Options

Mike I have just looked forward and at week 6 brisk runs are introduced.

Thu 1M jog, then 4M (approx 30 mins) brisk, then 1M jog

This would be 07:30 close to tempo pace so maybe I should be waiting for week 6. 

• Options

Mike, a question about getting back into the habit...

After a fair time off running, I'm keen to get back running 10ks, halves and perhaps a marathon this year, probably Nottingham. How can I gauge where I'm at and how far to go? I understand (and know from past experience) it's very easy to overdo it, as a novice might when starting to run. Should I just race and compare times with my history, but then, how hard can I race? Any ideas?!

Cheers,

Jim

[history: running on/off since school, now about to turn 32; I've done 20+ halves and 8 full Ms. In 2006 I did 7 halves and 2Ms, but the second, Mablethorpe, knocked me out for months. In 2007 I did 2 halves, "only", but approx 10 mins more slowly than the same races the previous year. Spent since Sept with unknown pain in "middle", and so not run much at all, except for a 10k in December, 10 mins slower than 2006...]

• Options

Hi Mike,

I'm running a first half marathon on March 16th (Hastings). I was quite sporty at school and have continued with football and hockey, but I've never really done any long distance running before. I'm 19 if that's important. I've done some 3 mile runs so far, getting about 21/22 minutes. The online calculators all seem to suggest between 1:45 and 1:55. Is this realistic or are these calculators all thrown by the fact that I can run short distances quickly but lack long distance experience? On the other hand is my time likely to be better, since I've achieved that without training? I'm running for charity, but I would like to get a decent time, if only for bragging rights with friends etc...Also should I follow the beginners' programme, or the sub 1:50 programme?

I'm carrying on playing football this uni term and I play on the wing once a week for 90 minutes- how should this fit into my exercising schedule? Does it count for anything? Pyschologically do you recommend going to look at the course before running it for the first time?

Thanks very much for your help,

Ray

• Options

Hi Mike,

my training is coming along ok.. i'm at about 10 miles now for FLM but all of a sudden my knee is hurting to wards the end of my runs and then for about a day afterwards.. I've been to a physio and she asid it might be the tracking on my knee is slightly off.. any advice on how to work with this.??

• Options

Hi Mike,

I wish to ask you whether you think doing a half marathon 4 weeks before a full marathon is too close to the event?

Thanks

Edward D.

• Options
    Hi everyone, I am doing the FLM and are quite nervous about it, I would like to do under 3:40 hoping to do 3:35 / 3:30 is to scarey. I just don't know how to pace myself any ideas on how I should break it down.  I have started to do a threshold session each week plus I do cycling which I count as hills as it makes me work hard. 
  • Options

Hello there,

I'm utterly, utterly confused about which training schedule to adopt for ruinning my first marathon. Based on my half marathon time (three months ago) I should be able to run it in around 4hours 15 /20 mins.

I'm able to run four times a week realistically - not wednesdays at all though when long rus are usually scheduled. I want to get a goodish time for my first marathon (around that predicted for me will do nicely).

I do a short fartlek of about three miles on Mondays (including warm-up and down) and sometimes do some hillwork then, but not much. I do a six miler on Tuesdays. Thursdays I hope to do about six again.

And Sundays I do a longish run of around eight miles, depending who I'm with.

Can anyone advise me. The runners world one is very definitive and also introduced speed stuff quite early on. The Hal Higdon stuff for novice runners seems to easy / slow? I don't know though. PLease can you advise?

Thanks

Beena

• Options
    Beena, have you thought of just rearranging the scheduled days to match when you can run? I don't think I've ever met a runner who keeps to any schedule exactly (unless he wrote it!) as there's always something unknown!
  • Options

Sure the rearranging is no problem - in fact it's what I did for my half marathon. It's actually finding a recommended schedule that works for four times a week. Should I be using a time based one, a run based one, should it include tempo work or speed stuff or just endurance? I have no idea which are the good, which are the bad and which are the evil

• Options

I'm no expert but I would have thought if you are only running 4 days they all need to be quality you dont want to waste any of them with bimble enjoy the scenery or chatting type runs.

Having said that LSR could be chatty.

A LSR, a speed session (minimum 800m reps), a Tempo run not sure about the other one maybe a club night but make it fairly hard.

But I really am not an expert Mike will be back soon I'm sure he can offer some advice.

• Options

I see no problem in modifying a 3 day chedule, just adding a workout of your choice

• Options

Hi Mike,

I was a FLM 1st timer last year and ran in 4.06- really want to beat 4hr this year and raring to go- started the training full steam ( following sub 3.45 as last year) but developed plantar fasciitis after 1st week -think due to new trainers. Getting Physio and hoping to get go ahead in another week but will have missed 4 poss 5 weeks of training schedule. I have been using the stationary bycicle and diligently training for the same intensity and time as on the training scheme but not sure where to pick up if given the go ahead.  Hope you can help! Thanks Fiona

• Options

Hello all image

I've devised a training plan for the FLM - it'll be my first marathon - and am well into it now, having completed 14m on my LSR this morning.  But, I'm getting conflicting advice on the best way to build up the miles.  Is it better to have 3 building weeks, then a rest week or one build then one rest?  So for example, 14, 15, 16, 8, 17, 18, 19, 8 on consecutive weeks versus 14, 8, 16, 8, 18, 8.  What do think?

Thank you!

• Options
    One week long and one short seems a bit slow! It could take ages to get there!
  • Options
    I agree most of the programs seem to be more progressive than that.
  • Options

hi fellow runner dont worry have confidence in yourself i used to avoid hills now i havethree hills on my running route one of the hill is a bit steep and half way i used to walk but today for the first time i managed to the top  and i was so happy although my calf muscles r sore good luck to everybody at last i got charity place for FLM BEST WISHES TO ALL  feb3 running gt bently half in essex

• Options
    Hi Mike and Wotsit, I've got a similar concern. (The drinking 'issue' is going ok, by the way. I still feel better on an empty stomach, but I'm at least managing to take on some liquid without choking or puking). I'm trying to decide between our club schedule which builds up the length of the long slow Sunday run by approx 1 or 2 miles per week, but has only one 20miler before marathon, or the runners world schedules which pick up the mileage more rapidly (with lighter weeks intermittently) but include three 20 milers before race day. I'm currently running 4 times a week with a long, slow run on Sunday, a short recovery run, 7or8 miles with intervals and a hill session of about 5/6 miles per week. How important is it to have run more than 1 20 miler before race day? I need to decide soon as this is where the schedules begin to diverge...! Thanks for any Advice, Anne
  • Options

Schedule Advice

Hi mike - I have a RW schedule for 3 x week - I usually manage this or something similar - however the long runs - is the ditance a minimum - for example today says 13 mile - I managed a comfortable 15 mile next week it says 10 - should i stick with this - do a bit more -or whatver feels comfotable.  The group of 3 marathon runners i'm training with would like to do same route again - what do you think. 

charliei

• Options

Hi Mike

I am a FLM first-timer, and reached 9 miles on my long run last week. I have been experimenting with different trainers,runnings socks, budy-glide/vaseline (and large numbers of compeed) to get through an instep blister issue after 6 miles, and think I am seeing some progress. However, I am still suffering very much with a burning feeling on the bottom of my feet, accompanied by pins and needles, and sometimes shooting pains - almost like fireworks going off from the ball of the foot into the toes. I have arthritis, but don't think this is the cause of the problem. I am a 35 y.o. female, fairly new to running, but a keen exerciser for years.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Alex

• Options

Alexandra- if it's slight tenderness between the bones in the ball of the foot, with suddden fleeting electric shock pains into the toes when you press, it might be a Morton's neuroma- trouble is, while I'm reasonably confident in making the diagnosis (I'm a Dr), I can't really help with a solution to let you run on it- I know this can be very sore, but it isn't at all dangerous. ?try fiddling around with more padded footwear?? You certainly don't want it removed, just now , as scars on sole of feet take forever to heal, and likely to not get back to running for ages. ??steroid injections- not sure how well that works, would hurt like hell too!

Sorry, not much help really- look it up on internet and see if you think that's it.

• Options

Mike

Is it OK that I'm doing my speed reps on the treadmill?   

• Options
    Alex - I'm currently seeing a sports physio for my Morton's Neuroma (the symptoms of which sound very like yours) and am getting acupuncture, which is working pretty well - it now only hurts at the end of my long runs, rather than right from the start.  Its worth getting to see someone.  I started mine off wearing new heels to work.  Price of vanity and all.  My physio also recommended getting metatarsal cushion pads - the type that hook over your 2nd toe, to give the balls of my feet more cushioning.  I didn't much fancy the steroid injection or surgery route much!
  • Options

Hello Mike,

I have just posted this on your hard training thread but may be more suitable on here.

I can train for at least an hour most days if I make the time with probably one long run per week 2 to 4 hours aprox.

I have just been reading the Hard training article and I am planning to do my first marathon on 18th May, which is the Windermere Marathon. It looks like a good schedule

I have got about 17 weeks before my race, is it ok to start  the programme slightly late, will I be ok adding the speedwork this early? I have just been out for about 3 weeeks with a calf unjury. Before my injury I was doing 35 to 40 miles per week but the last thing I want to do is get injured again.

What sort of range should your heart rate be for your Threshold runs and tempo runs?  

Will I be ok using this schedule. I am hoping for a sub 3.30 Marathon this is based on previous races done in the last 6 months which are HM:139:50, 10k 42:45 and 5 miles:34:40.

I'll be very grateful for any advice. 

Thanks.

Ian.

• Options

Thanks Tricialitt and Wotsit

That definitely sounds like the culprit alright! I have ordered some metatarsal pads (although not the loop over the toe at this stage, as I'm prone to blisters at the slightest opportunity) and hope that these will help. The thought of being able to run without the burning and fireworks going off under my feet quite so much sounds like bliss, and really fills me with hope and a new enthusiasm for the forthcoming long runs!

Thanks again

Alex

• Options
    Wow, Wish I had managed to keep up with the forum while I was in Cuba _ back now and will try to work through the questions quickly.
  • Options

Hi Moscowflyer & Martin,

I'm assuming you are now well into your return to full training - let me know if things are not on track.

• Options

Hi Kent,

Personally I would set tempo pace based on your best times otherwise you will be mostly doing steady running at best and slow running most of the time.

There is some injury risk in running fast but if it is balanced out with easy days you should be OK - if you never run in some discomfort - pushing yourself occasionally - you will not improve.  

• Options

Iccle Jim,

I think you should go back to basics and build base from a period of long slow running before trying to race hard again. Nothing wrong with doing some racing but don't expect results - trail races or non-standard distance are good to start with. After 8/10 weeks or so introduce tempo runs and hills or intervals and I think you'll find that you'll be close to previous levels.