Rotterdam Marathon 2008

Comments

• There are usually portaloos at events like this, but I've never seen them marked on the course before so I wouldn't worry about it.

Not running can be the best training you can do. In December/January I was running awfully, well down on what I should have been doing. I had to go away for a conference at the end of January and was very worried about how 10 days without really running would affect me. I came back and have felt great (generally) since - I've noticed a major improvement in my running since that break.

It can be annoying not being able to run, but I think if you've put the miles in beforehand, your legs welcome the break and chance to recover a lot more than you lose any fitness. You can improve more by resting at times than you could by actually training.

• Thanks Wirral Dave.  I have this irrational fear of being caught short during a run!

I managed a 5 mile run this morning with no obvious problems, will try for an 8 mile at the weekend and then back on to my schedule.

Only six weeks to go! 

• Good news on the loos! Wouldn't like to run the last half with my legs crossed image

Had a much better run yesterday. 6 miles from work to home. Slightly faster than Tuesday's effort but felt so much easier.

Finally got round to sorting out flights and hotel. I wasn't able to find a flight back on the Sunday so at least people will be spared sitting next to someone who's had to shower with a wet wipe! I'll be flying out Saturday morning and back again on Monday afternoon so I'll have a bit of time for sight-seeing. Anyone got any recommendations for things to see while I'm out there?

Hope under the weather people are starting to feel better now.

• Boing! 

Hey all.  Hope everyone's well (or at least well on the road to recovery?)  I didn't do anything for a week.  Did a very slow 7 on sunday.  I looked like a gin soaked septegenarian trying to find my way home after a night out.  I was all over the place!  Better now though.  Still snotty but it's all above the neck so I did a 10 miler last night and felt fine.  Hope to be back on for a long run on saturday, although I'm away until saturday morning so I have a very early start image

Anyway thinking about race weekend now.... does anyone want to meet up at the expo for a pint of lucozade and some pasta?

• Nice to hear you're better now, H. Definitely up for meeting at the expo, when are you going?

Did 15 miles in just under 3 hours on Sunday. Weather was pretty good. It warmed up nicely and there was a bit of sunshine but it was v. windy on some stretches. My hair was going everywhere. Last night's run was a bit more difficult. I think I did my shoes up the wrong way as I had horribly tight calves for the first 2 miles. It got so bad that I had to stop and redo the lacing on my shoes and have a good stretch. Rest of the run was OK but it's still too windy! I've got a 20 mile race on Sunday, 4x5 mile laps in scenic Ruislip. Possibly the most boring race in the world!

Is it time for a list?

Little Nemo PB: 4:55 Aiming for: 5 hours-ish

39 days to go image

• Little Nemo PB: 4:55 Aiming for: 5 hours-ish

PB: 4.06  Aiming for: Sub 4 would be a dream come true.  In reality based on training around 4.10/15

I'll go to the expo on the saturday.  Anytime really dependent on anyone else... 

• Little Nemo PB: 4:55 Aiming for: 5 hours-ish

PB: 4.06  Aiming for: Sub 4 would be a dream come true.  In reality based on training around 4.10/15

Neil: PB: 3:34 (2001 Chicago Marathon) Hopefully new PB: 3:30.

• I was planning on going to the expo Saturday afternoon, depends on when flight arrives. Hopefully this will fit in with others, it would be nice to meet up with people before the event.

I've just been checking the website and there's some fantastic advice on the medical section:

Be careful of desiccating! image

Avoid increasing the tempo and sprinting(!) in the last kilometers - I wish I was able to even think of sprinting at the end of a marathon image

• Where are you flying to Little Nemo?
  • My flight is due to get into Rotterdam for 12:25. Haven't worked out how long it would take to get into the city but I could probably get to the expo for around 3pm?
  • Hello all,

In the nicest possible way, gosh I'm glad some of you have been sick too! I've had sickness and blisters on arches that stop me running. I've been getting really worried about not training.  

But I too found I came back with not too many problems and managed 18 miles last Sunday in my allotted time of under 10 mins per mile. Blisters have come back, so I'm not too sure about 20 miles this weekend, but we shall see.

I've never done a marathon before so no PB, but:

HB: PB - Aiming for 4:30, would be very happy with under 4:20. (Have scaled ambition down a bit)

HB

• I missed my 2nd 20 mile run through illness so Saturday will be my 2nd and final long (over 3hour) run before Rotterdam, although I still have the Kingston 16 mile at the end of March. So long as I finish I am guaranteed a PB (it being my first) and I am going to put down 4:20 as my ambitious prediction.

H PB: 4.06 Aiming for: Sub 4 would be a dream come true. In reality based on training around 4.10/15
    HB: PB - Aiming for 4:30, would be very happy with under 4:20. (Have scaled ambition down a bit)
    TC: PB n/a – Aiming for 4:19 (overtaking HB on the finish line?)

TC

• Had a lovely lunchtime speed session, apart from a couple of windy sections is was almost springlike. The sun was shining, daffodils everywhere and lots of cute squirrels - bless!

Good luck to everyone going long this weekend. Please think of me as I struggle towards the finishing line in Ruislip at around 1:20pm!

36 days to go image

• BOING!

Everyone still OK?

I had a fantastic run on Sunday. Set a 4 min. PB at the Finchley 20, completely unexpectedly. We were really lucky with the weather, only a couple of showers at the end and not too much wind. I didn't even notice how boring the laps were, I was "in the zone". Got loads on encouragement from the runners lapping me and the marshals stayed out for the last lap so it wasn't as lonely as last time. Felt so strong on the last lap I even skipped my last walk break - unheard of! Just hope I haven't peaked too early.

Braved the gales to run home last night. Why is it when it's windy on a run it's always in your face?!?

32 days to go image

• Well done LN, excellent news!  I'm afraid my last two weeks have been pants.  Flu last week, weekend away (so a couple of short runs), this week away with work and it's very heavy going (working until early hours) so no chance for any runs.  Feeling like a bit of a failure.  Hoping the break will actually do me good???

• Hi All,

Great to find this thread. I've been on the Runner's World website loads of times and never thought to look for this thread.

I too chose Rotterdam after being bounced from the FLM. Did FLM last year in 3:53. My aim for Rotterdam is around the 3:45 mark. Got a new PB of 1:34 at the Wokingham Half a few weeks back so hopefully I'm on track.

Anyone doing the Fleet Half this weekend?

So cool that there's so many UK based peeps going across for the marathon (even though I'm actually a South African).

• Hi all,

Blisters meant I did 12 miles last weekend, so trying again for 20 this weekend. My sympathy to H cause work is causing me problems. Long hours and no time at lunch to run, and every time I set my alarm for (really) early I wake up and think 'Oh, get real!' and roll over.

But it sounded like you were putting the miles in upfront, which has to matter.

And hello to Troy!

HB

• Doing Fleet this weekend.  Did Rotterdam last year.  There were a lot of UK based runners over there.  Met so many at the expo. 
  • H, I'm sure the break will do you good, it will give you a few extra days to get over your flu properly. And you've done a few long runs already so you've got the distance.

Work's annoying when it gets in the way of running, don't they know we're athletes! image

I'm doing 15 this weekend and aiming for 20 (4 hours of running - gulp!) on Easter Sunday. I may treat myself to a creme egg at the end.

Hope your blisters get better, HB.

Welcome to the thread TS, I did Fleet last year and loved it. Good course and although you don't get crowds all the way round you still get a fair bit of support. Hope you enjoy it.

• Thanks again for the vote of confidence all & welcome Troy.  I have been naughty again today and haven't been out (despite vowing to do so).  I will go out tomorrow though...... I will, I will, I will....

• Enjoy the weekend training peeps. Hopefully see some of you at the Fleet Half. C'Mon all, less than a month to go. Can't wait!
  • 11 this morning image, getting my mojo back.

Good luck at Fleet!

• Job done! New half marathon PB at Fleet today. 1:33:45. STOKED!

Wet, windy and super muddy in the last 150 metres, but otherwise loved it. Tried to stay with the 7 minute mile group for as long as possible but only managed 4 miles. Felt a bit blown but recovered to finish feeling strong.

1 more 20 miler on the Easter weekend and then the long frustrating taper.

I hope everyone had a good weekend's training.

Troy. 

• Well done, H on getting back out there. Really there are just 1 or 2 more tough weeks and then it will be time for taper madness.

Well done on your half time Troy, v. speedy.

15.5 miles for me in 3 hours on Sunday morning. V. wet and windy and I managed to have the wind in my face whichever direction I ran in. Ran along the river between Chiswick and Putney and it was a bit muddy. I don't have to worry about my trainers looking too new now! Didn't manage my normal Friday run as I was sent to Norwich for the day - v. inconvenient. I did think of doing the run on Saturday but I just couldn't be bothered. I'm glad I didn't now as I think Sunday would have been a bit too hard otherwise.

20 miles for me as well on Sunday, it's good having the day off on Monday to help recovery. And hopefully lots of Easter Eggs!

Have a good week everyone!

26 days to go image

• 1.33 Troy!! Wow! That's brilliant. I wish I had the chance to do a few races in preparation for Rotterdam too. Not this time sadly but I do have a 20 miler planned for friday (lets hope it's a 'good' friday)!

My rough calculation for easter agg v. running consumption would be;
    Approx 530 cals & 60g carbs for a typical egg (buttons/aero/dairy milk etc). Running for one hour burning approx 530 cals, therefore a long 3 hour run = 3 nice big eggs and no guilt!!!! Normally it's the thought of beans on toast that keeps me going (I've found a place here that sells Heinz beans), but this week it's all about the chocolate. If that doesn't keep me going on friday I don't know what will image

Have fun on the easter runs!
  • Did the Lisbon half marathon on Sunday with a somewhat disappointing time of 1:34, however races as large as Lisbon (over 38k runners), it's trully hard to PR.  Unless you're up in the front somewhere (which I was not), you're going to caught up with slower runners, ruining any chance of a PR.

I cannot believe that they didn't seed the runners based on anticipated time, however that's how it goes. Lisbon is very nice though.

Anybody know if Rotterdam will seed us?  I can't recall if i indicated on my application, or anywhere else what my prior marathon times were or if I was asked for my expected time finish time.

Anyway, you all probably know this but this weekend should be our last long run.  I plan on doing 20 this weekend, 17 the following, the Dublin 10k  the next and the finally race day!

Good luck to all!

• If I remember correctly from last year, it was basically a free for all in the beginning.  People standing all over the place.  They did have the signs up for predicted finishing times, but not too many people took notice of it.  Also because it was extremely hot last year, alot of people were also standing near the water bottles.  It was a killer of a race last year.  Hope its better for you guys this time around.
  • Don't worry Neil, I'll be starting right at the back so that's one person you won't have to run past image

I really hope it's not hot again jas ion, especially as it's so cold and miserable at the moment, there'd be no chance of acclimatising!

20 miles = 2,000 calories = 11.5 Cadbury's Creme eggs

Don't eat them all at once! image

• The only way to combat the issue of non seeding is to put myself in front of as many runners as possible, which isn't fair for those who are faster than I am. It's too bad the race organizers just don't corall runners based on anticipated finish times. Oh well.  Luckily it's not a huge race.

I'm with you Nemo.  Lets all pray it isn't even close to the same temperture as last year.  It was pretty warm in Lisbon and I'm not sure I could've done another 13.1 miles with a goal of PRing.

• Neil - The field wasn't too large last year, so it wasn't bad in terms of finding space to run. 

I just wish they had more water last year.  Chances are that even if they had double the water it still wouldn't have been enough.