Options

Sat 8th December

Sorry!  Couldn't resist it.  Just back from Mrs AFs christmass medieval banquet at the Officers Mess so later will involve..

• What:  8m
  • Why:  REcovery
  • Last Hard:  Yesterday
  • Last Rest:  38 days

Have a good one!

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Lyrics: NO WAY
    What: Bushy Park TT + a few miles here and there
    Why: Speed work
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: 8 days

Have stayed up to watch the Nike Supersonic.
  • Options

Morning All

Been AWOL the last few days, was away working on the Maldives, so didn't run for a couple of days but did enjoy watching the rain come down, I miss rain!

Yesterday was Dubai half marathon, the course is "interesting" running beside the creek, there is section through the textile souq, another through the Abra (small wooden ferries) melee of disembaarking passengers, two bridge crossings with narrow footpaths partly obstructed by power transformers and illuminated decorations which stick out at eye height.  At tunnel under the creek, a section of sand through a construction site and a short grass section which involved hurdling a few drainage pipes. I started well but after 14K my legs went to lead and I had to dig deep and hang on to finish in 1-44-30. This was 20 second slower than last year but 28 seconds faster than two years ago. I'm certainly consistent having five 1-44-xx finishes in the six times I'v run this race the sixth was a 1-39-54.

Last night was the club annual bash, so home at 0230 kids came in 0500! Hanging on and digging deep today as well!

What: hopefuly 6 miles Pm when kids gone to bed

Why: Hangover cure

Last Hard: 0500 this morning

Last rest: thursday

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

Well battled in your half, DD.

My sore throat turned into the lurgy, so no running yesterday as felt very under the weather.  Have dosed myself up now and piled vicks up my nose so a good run this morning might help to unblock the airways.  Will play it by ear though so if I don't feel good I'll have no worry about stopping and taking another rest day, but the plan is...

what - 10 miles
    why -  general aerobic endurance

• Options

Morning peeps.

Yesterdays lyrics were 'Where were you hiding when the storm broke' by The Alarm.

DD:Well done on the half, sounds an interesting course !

Scobos: All the best at the CC. I bit aswell re Costa Rica. Thanks for reminding me about 'King Kevs' 2 yard miss v Spain in 82. Though the Brazil team of that World Cup still remain my main memory of it.

Lyrics - My knowing streak of 3 days in a row are over, well admittedly I did choose 2 of the 3...

What: 45mins steady (and its wet again).

Have a good one peeps, if you can.

• Options
    Morning all...
    Another lyrical strike-out for me today-perhaps I am too young after all or my musical knowledge is as pathetic as I thought it was! Very wet, very windy and fairly chill out there today, so wrap up warm everyone venturing out later - and Hilly, I wouldn't bother it would probably do you more harm than good.

What: About an hour with some 'breathing' fartlek (ie 100 breaths at a hard-fast pace, 50 easy and so on)
    Why: To help the run pass by faster

Good luck to all today - whether running, Christmas shopping or trying to stay warm and dry!!!
  • Options

no lyrics for me either

what: 10km easy
    why: mileage and just ticking over - hoping to try another 5k on tuesday

mum and dad arrived in NZ yesterday - i was so excited and its lovely to see them image  its going to be a fab christmas. 

• Options

Morning,

DD, that's some course. Well battled.

50 minutes going forward for me. Need to do some stretch's now.

Later the Christmas illuminations go up (I'm under orders to complete this task before dark today).

Have a goodly day.

• Options

morning

definitely consistent DD
    today may be a long one, any chance of an afternoon snooze?

get well soon hilly, all the extra stuff you've been doing probably left you open to bugs

have a good one a bushy park gobi and hope all toaday's racers survive the elements

sam i think you'll kick yourself, only those in nappies too young for today's lyrics. i admit to being a fan of his stuff, very jolly

enjoy the time with your parents M - is this their first visit?

what - rest
    why - feel a bit utw and race tomorrow
    last hard - yesterday
    last rest - 3 days

• Options

mr consistent indeed, DD. Hang in there today!

Hope you feel better soon, hilly. Agree that the busy life and undoubtedly associated stress has left you vulnerable to pick up something.

Look outside, grey, windy and threat of drizzle, perfect weather for

What: Kent clubmans XC
    Why: fun (seperate races per category, so supporting and racing)
    Last hard: ?
    Last rest: yesterday

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    What: approx 6 miles to work (inc Farlington Ave), same home again later. Gonna get a soaking though.
    Why: 2 birds 1 stone

That’ll give me 54 miles for week one of the FLM build up.

Hilly – I train on head-colds, the airways soon clear. But not if I’ve got the shivers or aches.

Works Christmas Party tonight – free bar too. Luckily I don’t feel compelled to drink the bar dry just cos its free – unlike some of em. I should look voluptuous in my frock – I’ve even got my wonderbra ready.

Vote Same Difference on the X factor. They live near me and used to go to my 10 year olds school and are going to come in next week and perform for the kids – if they get through.

All the best with the XC's.
  • Options

Morning...pretty disgusting weather here today...

DD well done althouggh it sounds more like an assault course than a run.....and dont talk to me about consistancy...I have that many 1.41.1.44 halves....image.....hence a complete re vamp of my training...which this week sees a RECOVERY week of 51 miles !!image...Not many compared to some on here...but 50 is the most I have peaked at for a marathon in the past...

Hope you feel better soon Hilly...dont overdo it...you too clink have a nice rest day..

M. how lovely to have your parents over for Xmas..so when did you last see them ?

Not really sure what to do at the moment...it is pelting down...but THEY have promised rain clearing this afternoon...I have to get a 13 mile medium run in sometime over the weekend...and with the Xmas party tonight...I would rather get it out the way today...plus gale force winds forecast tomorrow ....image...

What : 13 miles at some point....

Why: medium long run

• Options
    TR...sorry Same Difference are ...carp...he looks like H out of Steps...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    NN
    I agree - but the kids at school are supporting em.

Thing is the only two acts that you can see still being around after the show is the welsh warbler (who is head and shoulders above the rest) and Same Difference - on kids shows.
  • Options

Who are what is the X factor?

Well done DD

TR - that's good progress off intermittent training.  The real measure of a runner is what they can do off consistent structured progressive training.  Will be interesting to see how fast you can go.  FWIW I think you'll go well under 1.20 for HM in the New Year.  Oh, and it would be a shame not to see what you can do on the running front before diversifying into triathlons.

What: 10 miles
    Why: to see what I can do off consistent structured trainingimage

• Options

BR - I think it's that unknown thing that so many television 'popsinging' wannabees just don't have! Mind you, they do some warbling on YV then get propelled to the dizzy heights wherein they crumble under the pressure of the media and disappear, never to be heard again!

Just been in town for shopping duties - what a dismal day! Horrid weather and the thought of going out for a pre-race trot this afternoon fill me with something akin to dread. Then again, I don't fancy the gym either!

• Options

BR_ I'd dearly like to be in the same boat of blissful ignorance, alas I have an 11 year old.

DD Good outing at the interesting Dubai Half.

Soda: If it pleases you, I have the same sort of orders. Check out Clubhouse and my Bah humbug thread.

Hilly: Be careful and avoid a setback. A week out won't cause you any harm, it'll probably do you good. A day or two is immaterial.

The weather here is vile, so it's Cross Country time.

• Options
    Hmmm, YV must be our Yorkshire version of TV: Yorkshire Vision!
  • Options

Afternoon all,

Feel sorry for imski today doing the Kent Clubmans in this weather, no shelter at the venue either so its going to be a wet and cold day at the races!

What:

am: 11-mile easy paced long run already done, no probs or discomfort from calf, moved ok in parts, struggled a little over the last few miles of hills, but felt stronger than last weeks longer run, managed 8mm pace exactly for the route.

Why:

Aerobic endurance and heading for my first 7-days running week since end of sept! image

Just need that rightl leg to behave itself now.

• Options

Afternoon everyone.

DD - Interesting course!

What:  18 miles in 2:28, pace 8:15
    Why:  LSR a day early
    Last hard:  3 days
    Last rest:  1 day
    Lyrics:  No

Very wet run, quite windy as well at times, felt good most of the time, legs tiring progressively over the last 4 miles, last 2 a bit of a struggle.  Unfortunately I forgot the HRM, I'd have liked to compare today's drift with similar runs in a couple of month's time.

No run tomorrow, going in to work of all things...

• Options

Nice run 200 did you run with Pete...?

...just in from my 13 mile medium long run...took over 2 hours..it was SO windy, I got blown all over the place...my usual route was flooded so I had to to a detour and do 3 laps of my unflooded mile 3 mile loop to make up the 13.....

BR come on own up..its nothing to be embarrassed about..everyone knows what the X factor is ..even if they dont watch it ..image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Lyrics - no
    X-Factor - never seen it but not living in a cave I know what it is <wink>

Running: did just an easy 10k this morning at 6:45, lovely red sky, not a cloud in sight...
    Why : XC race tomorrow and beer/curry last night left me feeling capable of little else...

Went out for the day to Paultons Park (nr Southampton) to see Santa. We go with a group of friends every year and are usually lucky with the weather. Not today. Torrential rain. Nothing like sitting in a rollercoaster soaked to the bone. Finished off on the 'wild rapids' hey another drenching before home-time! Just about dried off now!

Enjoy the rest of the w/e

• Options

NN
    Yes, just Pete Lucy & me, they seemed quite happy to run on the brisk side so we did.  Bit windy out towards the Turf!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Case of the dissapearing post..... just submitted and there it was gone........

So shall try again.

I preume thats the DE&S mess AF, I will be on the North site tonigh in the other mess.

What 7.5m easy

Why - Last bits of Base trg, mara trg starts on Mon.

Last Rest - last 2 days

Last hard - Weds

Take care

• Options
    Is it something to do with Malcolm X?
  • Options

Evening

torrentials gale force winds . torrential rains here in Wales I ran 5 miles this morning through knee deep rivers in the woods 4 of them and had to run them all twice oh well it was bracing and brought a smile to my face.Juast ran 5 again but must have been only dry spell all day.

Been laid low with virus most of week so no christmas shopping done

X factor wont let that rubbish on my TV but I do know what it is about;-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Screaming with the cold, wet and gales this morning TRYING to put up Christmas lights. Sadly image I missed the school fair, and did manage to make a little progress.

Cross Country was a near fiasco. It started with my arrival at the wrong cross country event. A little late to begin with, this put me in a panic.

Midlands Counties cross country 7 mile championship.

Even at the New York Marathon you can only beat those who turn up, but on a windswept and damp Gloucester course there was a poor turnout. Probably because we are at the extreme end of being classified as a Midland County, and the weather was offputting from this morning. As it happened, there was a bit of a lull, thankfully.

Race: Multiple laps around a flat, damp field.

6:20 and 6:18 even catching and leading a group of 4.
    6:36 and 6:46 OK they came back, but at least I broke them up. Stitch.
    6:44 and 6:56 feeling the wind ha ha
    and 6:37 pace for the last half mile, yes it was short.
    Sprint finish for the purposes of HR got it up to 171.

And I felt warm. The showers were great. And I got a bronze medal for being a team counter. image

Then it was time to put up more lights, in a happier mood.

• Options

clink - yes its their first time in NZ - although mum has been to australia previously.  for dad it was his first long haul flight.  they seem to have survived the travelling very well though.

NN - its just over a year since we last saw them - we did a quick tour round the family before leaving to come here.  actually its quite hard to believe we've been here over a year now.  its gone very quickly.

hope everyone survived their running/racing in the wind and rain - its sounds pretty bad at the moment.

• Options
    i just read that again NN - over 50 miles for a recovery week!!  wow.  my highest mileage week ever only just scraped over 35.  good luck with the new schedule.
  • Options

Evening folks.

Finally got broadband sorted out up here in the Highlands!!!

DD - sounds like an interesting course!

Headed over to Skye this morning for a cold jaunt round the next race in the local running club's Winter Series. But before running the race Mrs S and I joined up with the club on a second claim basis...makes sense since we're regularly running with the folk up here...they're a friendly bunch.

Anyway, the race...Mrs S wasn't running as she's got a slight injury just now and has been advised to avoid too much speedwork and hills for now...so a very hilly race probably wasn't ideal! From the start, I was off into the lead, so it ended up as another solo run like the last one I ran up here. Wonderful scenery though, with stunning views of the Skye mountains. Ended up winning by something like 3mins or so in a time of 25.47 for the approx. 4.4 mile course (it had nearly 400ft of climbing en route). Think I ran splits of something like:

Mile 1 - 5.50 (steady start)
    Mile 2 - 5.50 (bit of a headwind)
    Mile 3 - 6.05 (long hill in this mile)
    Mile 4 - 5.36 (plenty of downhill in here)
    0.4 - 2.26 (another big climb before the finish)

A hugely enjoyable run, followed by a great scoff of spicy parsnip soup, egg mayo roll, gingerbread, a tea cake and a couple of coffees...not bad for a £1 entry fee!

Have a great night.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done Scobos.  That's definitely value for money.