Calling all FLM race entrants

Comments

• Having thought I was a 2008 reject, I've just found out that I've got our club's place for FLM. While I've done 9 marathons and 5 ultras in 18 months, my PB is still my first mara! Kinda been going for quantity rather than qualityimage

While I'd love someone to give me a kick up the backside towards a PB, my main target next year is GUCR. So maybe RW can use me to show that distance running goes beyond 26.2 miles but maybe, just maybe, there's a mara PB to be had on the way? 

• Having seconded 2 persons already I shall second 2 more as seems to be the trend .....

Granny Denny

Just to show there are no hard feelings and I hope you come to enjoy your times in the forum and become one of the 'oldies'   image

PanicMedic
    He is one of many many deserving forumites on here and after the trials and tribulations of last year I think this could be the right time,   and it gives me an extra excuse to kick his @rse!

good luck to you all

Melds x

• I vote for Barley cos he needs all the help he can get! image
  • have you seen all the people posting on this thread who have never posted before? i don't think anybody should be allowed to post on any threads before they've already made, say, 100 posts (on any threads on the site). at least that demonstrates some committment.
  • Many thanks Candy ollier, not everyone has time t get on here, I have been a member for quite a while now, and spent most of that time away. 

Being in the forces is quite a busy occupation at this time.

I wish everyone luck, and hope all your training goes well, and stay injury free!

Just off out now, 8 miles is the distance today, all is going well.

Bye for now.

DR 

• OK. I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

Name : Scot Haggarty 

Reason why you should train me : I started running in 2001 and have run 16 marathons. My pb is 3:37 and my usual finishing time is around 3:45 to 3:50 .
    I know I have a sub 3:25 marathon in me as my Half Marathon pb is 1:36. I blame my occasional lapses in motivation for never having achieved that goal. Motivation aside, I feel I’m in somewhat of a rut and am intrigued to discover how much better I can perform given professional training and advice, but mostly from how training so 'publicly' will reinforce the need and desire to adhere to a strict training regime.
    I find I seldom give advice on the Forums these days as I get the sense that it often just gets lost in the ‘beast’. This opportunity will allow me to contribute something that little bit special.

• MM - I would guess that everyone's motivation for applying is to get help so they can get round the course to the best of their abilities?!

I don't think anyone should be allowed to run the London Marathon unless they have done so 5 times before backwards......

The world is full of cynical, unfriendly people who do the same thing day in year out - never go anywhere new or want to meet any new people - thank goodness there is no-one like that on this forum!

Off to have a run now!

• gor blimey, i'm sure it was perfectly simple (il)logic
  • yossarian lives! although he won't get no free coaching.
  • Janette K wrote (see)

MM - I would guess that everyone's motivation for applying is to get help so they can get round the course to the best of their abilities?!

I don't think anyone should be allowed to run the London Marathon unless they have done so 5 times before backwards......

The world is full of cynical, unfriendly people who do the same thing day in year out - never go anywhere new or want to meet any new people - thank goodness there is no-one like that on this forum!

Off to have a run now!

Hear hear JK!

•  It's only an internet forum chat room thing. IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

Hmmmm! 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

So many peeps going for this... If I were to vote.....

• Wardi 
    • RichK
    • Sezz
    • A Newbie perhaps?

Have fun all

• I believe there are 4 votes.   Perhaps -

1.  Complete beginner. 

2.  A runner in the doldrums (so to speak) to whom some sage advice would aid them.  Not necessarily a runner who has ran umpteen marathons, but someone who needs that hoist up to the next level.

3.  A runner with a very tight schedule in which to train, who has a trade off between a busy family life, busy professionally and training. 

4.  Finally an interesting runner, maybe someone with an personal incentive to run.

Just my 2p. 

DRimage

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LOL KKKK

Like your wording for vote No 3 Stokeballon - but there are a lot of us in that position.

And dont forget Mr Brown and his government need to tax that 3p, so will have to go up to £1:03 in line with fuel taxation........

• am I MM ?   I was not questioning the motivation,  more the motive for being on the forums after one post and as I explained a good percentage were honourable and will stay.
    I have actively encouraged a few people over the years and have no reason to change,  what I object to (if anyones motive was such) was RW being 'used'.

Everyone is welcome on this forum,  now lets sperad some christmas spirit!
  • Name : Paul Nagle

Having been running now for about two years from a standing start. To be honest it has changed my life. 1st marathon Dublin 2006 - 3hour 56mins, 2nd FLM 2007 - 4hrs 22mins, 3rd New York 2007 - 4hrs15mins. Am determined to change my training schedule speed runs as I know I have got it in me to run sub 4 hour marathons even 3.45 ish, all help would be greatly achieved.

Am committed to raising funds for charity, having raised £5K for two charities. Am running this marathon for Wellchild and am also hoping to get a place for Edinburgh, two marathons out of one training schedule.

• Hark the Herald Meldy Mings * wrote (see)

Having seconded 2 persons already I shall second 2 more as seems to be the trend .....

PanicMedic
    He is one of many many deserving forumites on here and after the trials and tribulations of last year I think this could be the right time,   and it gives me an extra excuse to kick his @rse!

good luck to you all

Melds x

Meldy, since when did you need an excuse to kick my arris?

Cheers Rio! image

• Name: Abi Moran

Reason why we should train you:

My history: I have a five time reject place this year and having waited so long I'm now deadly excited and terrified all at the same time!  Being frequently injured when increasing mileage or speed, I got into triathlon last year to try to vary my training and reduce injury.  Now freshly kitted out with orthotics, I'm embarking on training based on the Furman FIRST schedule, incorporating swimming and cycling to try to keep up the tri training whilst marathon training (i'd like to do my first half ironman at the end of 2008 season). 

My problems: (1) avoiding injury (2) fitting running around a hectic schedule at work and around having to visit home often to give my Dad support in looking after my Mum, who has Multiple Sclerosis (MS) (3) Fitting in triathlon and marathon training and having a life too!

Why am I doing it?  To raise money for the MS Society and for the feeling of self-achievement that only running such a race can give you.

Why train me?  I'm great at reading everything about training programmes etc but not realistic about what time I have to give them.  I get behind, then I try to catch up, then I get injured.  It would be great to have someone knowledgable to guide me through - I'm sure a lot of people have the same problems and this could be useful for them too.  Having waited so long to give FLM another go, I'd hate to spoil my chances!

Marathon goal:

I'd be happy with: 4h30

I'd be dead chuffed with: 4 h 15

I'd be over the moon with 4 h 00

Marathon PB:

5 h 09 (first EVER race, entered on a whim when felt likeI needed to do something to hit back at MS...was HORRIFIED to have gotten in and learnt how to run in the 4 frought months before the race!)

• I I think some of you good people have the wrong attitude, we all like to run, be it fast or slow, the main thing is we enjoy doing it, Newbies, Oldies, black, white, green or any other colour, look around you and just  think, "A runner's just a friend I may, or may not know." 
  • I want to vote for some sub 3 girl power - Joolska!  She will produce the goods and be an inspiration to all the ladies (and a lot of the gentleman too) on the forum.

Also a vote goes out to Dad of Two for his determination and consistency.

• I vote for PanicMedic too. Go for it  Mark!! Good luck.image
  • Oh I feel so much better today (and it's nothing to do with the works Christmas party I've just been at!) - just wanted to thank everyone for their kind posts and say no hard feelings Meldy - I think I'll be around for a while yet!  I'm a great believer in getting things out in the open for discussion - that's what forums are for after all!  image
  • Go Granny Denny, I think you deserve a place for standing up to the forum massive image

• Vote Granny Dennyimage
  • and Sezz, Womble and Evil Pixie.
  • I'd like to second Joolska and Dad of Two, 2 fellow sub3 forumites who are guaranteed to take this seriously and put in the work required to hit their tergats!
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I'd like to vote for me image again.
  • I've just read through some of the discussion on this thread...no wonder some people don't post very much when there is this kind of welcome...