• Options

A vote for Womble from me

It may not be in my interest for her to be able to run any faster,
    but it'd be interesting to see what her mara time would
    be if she actually trained...

• Options
    Thanks, Wardi!
  • Options

Ive nothing against new members to the forum and that should be encouraged to join and nurtured wherever possible. I do think the selection should be made from regular contributers and slightly question the motives of those who's only forum posts are concerned with a desire for some 'free' coaching! How motivated will they be to keep people updated on progress, and more importantly will anyone be very interested

Very good point well made

• Options
    Go on Jools - you know you want to..............
  • Options

Vote Barlos without a doubt, cos he is an inspiration.

Also his name starts B and ends S rather like Bollo**s, which is a fair description of his training regime 

• Options
    oh dear .. apologies to all you regular posters - it seems I've posted on the wrong forum - I'll go away and find one for newbies.   I hadn't realised it was a such a closed community.  I just saw the 'join our guinea pigs' link and thought it was an opportunity open to everyone - even those relatively new to longer distance running (and perhaps lacking a little in confidence!).  Bye
  • Options

No Denise that is not what the forum is about.  We are all a nice friendly bunch of people who are happy to give help whereever it is needed.

We were all beginners once!  Some of us more recently than others!

Come back and put in your bit you have as much chance as the rest of us.

As long as whoever gets the "prize" is prepared to put in the effort it does not matter who you are or how long you have been runningimage

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Denise, come back!  It's not a closed community, just some of us have been around for ages and have met each other at races and socials. 

I'm sure RW will read all the pitches and select the ones they really believe deserve it <cough> whether they're newbies or not.  Yeah, it's nice to follow the progress of someone you know, it's always good to spot someone in RW you know, but that shouldn't stop non-regulars from putting their names forward.

Thanks for all the nominations btw image

• Options

Name:  Zoe Fiander
    Reason why we should train you: I had a disappointing run in FLM last year (the first marathon I ever did) and have been "drifting" a little with my running since then. I feel like I could do with an objective view on my training - whilst I had a great time at FLM last year, I wasn't confident that what I had done would actually yield results, and it was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. My half-mara PB is 1.51 and I don't know how I'm ever going to get back to the point which I can beat it (that was just before London last year)- it's frustrating, because I managed to go from 2.09 half mara, barely trained, in December 2006, to 1.54 and then 1.51 in March, so I know that what I was doing was working, but it all fell apart at FLM - I wanted sub 4.15 and it was a bit of a blow. I managed to give myself plantar fasciitis doing FLM and then had an enforced lay-off - mainly I just want to prove to myself that I can do FLM WELL and not just get round it. And lay these injury and confidence demons to rest!

I did last year through a Golden Bond charity place- much as I'd like to do that again, I'm in my last year at university and I can't really add any extra pressure to fundraise into the mix. I entered the ballot but got my lovely rejection mag and windbreaker through the other day.

In the long term, I want to become Good for Age, and I also want to do Comrades (though I have to keep that hush hush as family already think I'm crazy).

Marathon goal: Sub 4.15. As close to 4.00 as I can get it.
    Marathon PB: 4.44.06 (bah)

• Options
    i must say that it has been a few years since i have made any contributions to the forum and not a lot has changed , still we have small clicky groups of people who sit at their computors all day thinking they are entitlled to special treatment, i hope RW pick people who are interesting and have a life that is broader than a 19 inch screen.
  • Options
    Denise

I do not speak for Runners World and no doubt they'll wish to have a mix of in both abilities and of new/regular members.

"Ive nothing against new members to the forum and that should be encouraged to join and nurtured wherever possible."

I clearly stated I dont have anything against new members and that they should be encouraged, however its not fair to go running off accusing us of being a closed community, why do you feel this is the case, perhaps if you stay and contribute youll realise its not.

You clearly dont agree with my opinion but it doesnt mean I dont have the right to hold it. Personally ive no problem including say one new person but was espressing that I believe its important and more interesting if those chosed are members of the forum know and can relate to.

• Options

If we can have more than one vote:

Mouse
    Womble
    Sezz
    Barlos

In no particular order.

And the sad truth is that RW have done this to garner interest, but most members aren't going to be as interested in the progress of someone the don't know as someone they do.

Bet you wish you'd never started this now, eh, Dan RW!?

• Options
    I hope it all works really well, as I am deferring and would like to put a bid in for 2009. IMUK and FLM do not make for a happy family in 2008.
  • Options
    Bazzo thats rubbish.

Ive helped with the RW supporting at mile 17 of the last 3 London Marathons, with the supporters helping almost 200 runners each, the vast majority none of us knew.
  • Options
    Lets just play nice eh peeps.
  • Options
    200 runners each??  are you sure?
  • Options
    Bet Andrew Smith will be along in a minute.. image
  • Options

Thanks for your responses.  As a relatively new member of the running community (although I did do some running (up to 25K) when I was in my thirties (dim and distant past - I'm a grandma now!!) I clicked onto the forum hoping to communicate with fellow runners at all levels who would offer support/advice and the RW offer of training is such a fantastic opportunity - I had to give it a go!

When I read  "question the motives of those who's only forum posts are concerned with a desire for some 'free' coaching! How motivated will they be to keep people updated on progress, and more importantly will anyone be very interested" it did make me wonder ....

I think writing updates would be motivational in itself - whether it would be interesting, I dont know.   I guess in the same way that you can't please all the people all of the time you can't make something interesting to everybody! 

• Options

Well good luck to you Denise image

Can I call you Granny Denny? 

• Options

Denise put your nomination in image

Pleased to meet you

• Options

True.

I suppose the problem is with the title of the thread, when can you call yourself a forumite, you could be classed as one after one post, you might only be called one after a lot of posts?

If you need to be seconded or voted for to get chosen then those who have only posted a couple of times are unless they have a really good pitch unlikely to get more votes than the established forumites.

I have almost always found this a very friendly and supportive forum, there are some tools around, but that is as true here as in the scary real world.

Ps my screen is only 14inches. So I must have a really narrow real life. image

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

I would also like to vote for Little Stoker too as well as Sezz.

Little Stoker has a brilliant sense of humour that gets him through most things. He is a hard grafter and would report well on how progress in his training is coming along.

Denise
    if you come back, there are a few Grannies and Grandpas as well as those that are much younger on the Over 60's Thread over on one of the Training forums. We train hard and encourage and vocalise our daily efforts.

• Options
    Candy

www.barleygb.co.uk

185 runners this year image
  • Options

OK, go on then, you've talked me into it - I'll stick around for a while - any more funny business though and I'll be off for good ... and you'll never see me again .... 

... and yes, fat face you can call me Granny Denny!

• Options
    A post-it life then KK?image
  • Options
    Best things are in little packages image