Calling all FLM race entrants

Comments

• Name :  Polly Adams

Reason why we should train you:  To help me loose some vital minutes ! I have the potential to run a sub 3.15 marathon which would make me an Elite Lady. Having trained for a recent marathon to get a sub 3.15 time, I crossed the line happy and uninjured ... but a minute outside at 3.16.  I would therefore really appreciate having some training and support to help me drop more than a minute in the FLM2008 and become a very proud Elite Lady!

Marathon goal : sub 3.15

Marathon PB : 3.16

• Dennis - glad you came back! You'll have to change your on line name now to Granny Denny!!!
  • Rats - gave you a sex change too! Bimey - you've certainly had more than you signed up for! image

I meant Denise, of course!!

• I'd put in another vote for RFJ. I think he would be guaranteed to follow the schedule to the letter and it would be interesting and educational to see the progress of someone who does what the schedule says.
  • Nominating :-

Name : Stephen Dalton

Reason why we should train you:   After failing twice with injuries, I need some training guidance

Marathon goal :  sub 3.30

Marathon PB:   none - entered twice and injured twice

• Name: Little LGReason why we should train you: After not running for several years, I took running up again with the prime goal of completing FLM in 2005.  This was the best thing I have ever done and haven’t looked back since.  I am now addicted!  I now find myself with another opportunity to complete FLM, however this time round I would like to see what I can really do! Once I have a schedule I will stick to it religiously, however with so many different schedules out there, I’ve not really known what I have been doing in the past……should it be tempo, a LSR or speed?!  Hence this time I would like to give it as good a go as possible, and see what is really possible with a little expert advice. 

I am also finally getting to grips with running with asthma, having trialled various different medication and hope that this will make training that bit easier – after all if Paula can win FLM with asthma that makes anything possible!

So hopefully with the asthma sorted, with the support of the RW team and other forumites, it would be invaluable in helping me and others achieve our goal.   I will be honest and admit that I am new to the RW forums, having perused the many different forums for their wealth of advice.  However I would now like the opportunity to give something back and share the ups and downs of marathon training. I’m now armed with my new garmin and raring to go….just need a point in the right direction!!! P.S. I will be running for Mencap this year.  I have chosen this charity, for personal reasons as my brother is autistic and has received help from Mencap. Marathon goal: As far below 3.30 as possible!Marathon PB: 3.43
  • Hey!  I feel like a real 'forumite' now .....  will I need to put in another post begging for the free RW training?   all I need now is a pic - I'll have to see if I can find something suitable ..
  • Ok, after trying to get a place for the past few years, I got a ballot place on my fifth attempt - woo-hoo! I had initially thought of deferring, having just had a little fella at the end of June, but I just can't get it out of my head. I've wanted to run London for such a long time and now I have a place! Motivation certainly isn't a problem, it'll be fitting in training between reading 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' and singing 'Humpty Dumpty', and finding the energy to run after waking every couple of hours to feed my own 'Very Hungry...chap'.

I have run a marathon before: the Edinburgh Marathon last year where I gasped my way around, double up with cramp after the Scottish weather decided to take a turn for hot and sticky. After this I  got the distance bug (nothing on a Plodding Hippo scale though, I am not worthy) and did a four day, 91 mile run...in the name of art. You can read all about this endeavour on my blog FitArtist.

Name: Adele Prince (A Princess)

Reason why we should train you:
    To show that a new mum can come back to fitness - even if it's not her goal to win the New York Marathon ten months after giving birth - and juggle motherhood with training hard for London Marathon

Marathon goal: Better than my PB! I think 4hr30 would make me happy

Marathon PB: 4hr 47mins (at Edinburgh 2006)

• Some of you seem to infighting, !! no reason too though, I would vote for George W.Bush but he got a FLM rejection, so I am still rooting for my twin brother gerald Somerville, the poor old sod is rising 74, he wants to get under 5 hours and has not done that since the old king died,!! (he did 4..48 some 10 years back) hang on in there all of you.
  • If newer (or brand new) people are chosen then what better way for us to get to know them than by reading their regular updates.

Everyone was new once.

• Hi Joe, from the tone of your posts you are obviously much younger than your bother image.
  • Paul Duffy

Last year was my first London Marathon and first try at the distance. I really enjoyed the whole occasion but didn't have a great run in the very hot weather. Finished in 4:24!

This year I've been blessed with a place again and I'm soooooooo determined to train harder and have a great run with a time of around 3:30 - 3:45. I have in the past suffered from overuse injuries when the mileage increases, so I'm working hard to improve my strength this year and will be using a RW plan.

Please, please, please consider me for coaching and I will give you 110% which should  give me 3:30 I hope!!

• Thanks and best of luck to everybody.  I'm sure we'll all be interested in hearing how the training goes for the lucky ones! 

I've just realised that I didn't put my marathon goal on my earlier post - it is, of course, to get round in one piece - would 5 hrs 30 be realistic for an old codger doing her first marathon?

Granny Denny aka Denise Postings 2 (I'm gong to end up with identity problems if I'm not careful!)

• Well, it felt like the first day at a new school!  Quite a number of what felt like unfriendly postings (maybe I am too sensitive!) followed my first ever posting on here asking for "free coaching".  I can assure you,  you wouldn't have wanted me to post when I was out of action - not able to walk let alone run - I was feeling very sorry for myself and this is a running forum!

Anyway, I thought I'd take another look tonight and am happy to see some friendly faces - bazzo, Denise and Dr Nic - you are lovely people and I hope you get chosen.

• Name: Richard Cockbain

Reason why we should train you: After six unsuccessful ballot attempts during eight years living in London (no application for two years in the middle as I stopped running and mostly concentrated on smoking and drinking!), I moved back up north in October and finally got a place! Woo hoo!! Anyway, ran my first marathon this year using a RW training plan and I'm hoping to run London, Edinburgh and New York in 2008 and would dearly love to break the three hour barrier in one of them and that's why I need your help! I'm really keen to learn more and develop as a runner and am dedicated to my training however feel my weakness is keeping my training "smart" and keeping the other things, such as diet and nutrition, on the right track. This is where RW can help. Oh yeah, and I love getting new kit image

Marathon goal: Sub 3 hrs
    Marathon PB: 3:17:16
  • I think the newbies have as much right to a place as anyone else. It shouldn't matter to those who aren't applying for a place as they're not doing the training so why the sour grapes.........? image
  • Name: Mark Jacobs
    Reason why we should train you: I did it on my own last year, overtrained, got injured and didn't do myself justice. I have problems fitting training in around work and need a plan based on my days at work and days off, night shifts, late starts etc. Plus I've only been running for 2 years now and managed to do a few halves, all at sub 2 hr, my 10k is down to 50:10 and my 5mile is now 42mins, so I must be doing something right!
    Marathon goal: To beat last year and beat it well! 4:57 last year but I reckon I have a 4:15-4:30 in me.
    Marathon PB: 4:57
  • Name: Nicholas Houlton

Reason why we should train you:  I am posting this on behalf of my husband who I am convinced has a sub-2.30 marathon in him. He has achieved 2.36 and was all set to train harder this year but then I was fortunate enough to get pregnant quite quickly after our wedding last December and we had our first baby 11 weeks ago. He now has to figure out how to fit his training around broken nights, early starts and sterilising bottles. He needs a plan which is super-efficient as he will have less time to train, geared to his standard of running and gives him advice on how to make up for any sessions he might miss if things go wrong at home.  

I guess the idea of training round a new baby is a problem that will strike a chord with a lot of people and at 36 this may be his last chance to break through that 2.30 barrier. I hope you can help him!

Marathon goal: 2.29

Marathon PB: 2.36

• I go for Evil Pixie and Granny Denny?  I don't have a place or I would nominate myself, now if someone would like to give me a place!??!?

• Lots of people will have applied for a place in the FLM and have not got in, remember, this is only open to you lucky ones who have been accepted. There are lots of disappointed people out there.........

I'm not doing FLM so I'm impartial. You can't deny that there have been a few posts on this thread saying in a roundabout way that the regulars should get the places and the newbies shouldn't. That's hardly "recognising and encouraging newbies"

I understand loads of people are disappointed but as someone else said, just because some people don't post much on the forums doesn't make them less of a runner and as likely to put in as much effort as regulars. Maybe they're out training more rather than posting..... image

• Hey - just wanted to jump in and say we'd like to close entries for this thread tomorrow. Lets say, I dunno... midnight, just to make things exciting and to give you the most time possible.

With reference to how RW will pick the winners, one of you summed it up with, " no doubt they'll wish to have a mix of both abilities and of new/regular members." I think that's fair enough really. 

Keep nominating!image

Dan RW 

• The issue isn't about who is a runner or not... you've missed the point if you think it is.

Why then are the newbies less worthy of a place than the regulars...............?

• no one has said that they are less worthy.
  • Not in so many words Meldy but if you read back you will see several posts making it obvious that the newbies shouldn't be given the places.