Calling all FLM race entrants

Comments

• 4 votes eh

1. Sezz - she's lovely, will stay the distance and is dedicated. She needs a bit of luck after ending up with FFimage
    2. Welsh Alex - he's got a wicked sense of humour, is Welsh and has the same surname as me. By virtue of that he is family and family means nobody gets left behind. Even if he is a Jack.image
    3. Wardi - I remember him from the 3.15 thread a few years ago when I last ran London. Very helpful an insperational posterimage
    4. 4th vote, I dunno, should it be a newbie, Womble or Rich? All would be a good choice

• To Shirley W and Granny Denny, can I just say: nobody really knows exactly what the point of this particular training is, so people are approaching it from a variety of viewpoints. RW will decide what they want in the end anyway. BUT (here's the point!) please don't give up on the forum! It's a lifeline for a lot of us, especially those who for whatever reason do most of our running alone, and it gives you access to a wonderful group of people who will give you loads of good advice about every aspect of running, and who will offer endless amounts of sympathy, encouragement and friendship.

I know just how you feel about jumping in, but there are a lot of threads where you will be truly welcome----for a start, why not come over to Working At It Slowly (in the Beginners section if you look at the Forum list on the RW page)? That's kept me going for nearly 3 years now, and though I'll never be much of a runner, without the friends I've made and the advice I've got there,  I would have chucked it in ages ago.

I'll keep an eye out for you both (and anyone else who wants to drop in)! xxx

• It's 4 people so plenty of room for everyone.  Personally I'd like to see someone who need a kick to reach potential (Barlos), someone who is quick (sub 2.30?), a normal person and a mother who can't seem to find the time to fit the training in.
  • Alos., part of teh contract should be regualr feedback.  No feedback.  No coaching and move onto someone else
  • I agree with Gumps - ideally I'd follow someone in my situation......I'm sure that is what they'll be aiming to provide.

The vote for a working parent with little time on their hands. Gumps -it doesn't have to be a mother, men work AND parent.  Why assume that mothers have less time - some have far more - I know cause I meet them chatting outside school whilst I'm dashing to work!

Plus my interest is someone who struggles with injury -how to train agaisnt that?

As for newbies vs oldies........it would be boring if it was just the same folk. Bring in some new. But I'd follow old friends with great interest

To the newbies who feel shunned - a lot of forum interaction comes over harshly. If you don't know people they can seem blunt (and maybe are) The forum allows people to say what they might not say to your face ???   Is this good or bad.....both sometimes. 

• I've got a thing for yummy mummies so it has to be a woman imageimage
  • I'm a yummy mummy

Even though my kids are old!  lol image

• Yes

I'm typing with two fingers image

For my twopenn'orth, I'd want a cross section of running ability and running experience but, echoing other thoughts, as this is on the RW Forum I'd like to see people who contribute to the forum selected

• I'd like to second Wardi.

Never met the guy, but it would be great for him to go sub-3 in his 50th year!

• I guess my ideal would be - 1 forum 'character' (Rich K?), 1 newbie and 2 in betweenies (Martin Fox and PanicMedic?). Also a good mix of running experience, abilities and personal circumstances to keep everyone interested.

However, when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what opinions any of us hold. Dan will have his own ideas and agenda and will select accordingly. He doesn't live in anyone's pocket so everyone has a chance.

• kate elliott

my first marathon

hoping for 4 hours (maybe 4 hours 20 is more realistic)

raising over £2k for charity

currently trying to follow 5 schedules (today's choice depends on today's energy levels and last night's drinking!)

only ever run 10km before last weekend during which i did 15km.

don't want to over train

don't want to under train

am also addicted to chocolate!

i THINK i need help and to be put on the right track...

Marathon PB?  Watch this space

Other PB?  10km in 55 minutes

• Hi I would love to be trained by runners worls and would love to share the experience with everybody.

The reason: Well next year I hit the big 50. I cant believe I'm so old. ( dont feel it) So 2008 is my going to be a Golden Jubilee celebration just like teh queen. No presents just doanations to my charity, The Brain and Spine Foandation, I am going to run not only London, but the Great North and New York. I have run three London marathons, but pulled out last year with an achilles injury. Now the weight has ballooned and I am having a real mental block on whether I can actually run the dreaded 26 miles. Training by yourself is hard, so any support given by the runners world community would help no end.

Marathon goal: To break the 4 hour mark, to prove to my kids and myself that you are not  past it at 50 and to raise over £3k for a charity that I believ is one of the most worthy in the UK

Personal best: 4.06 so close and yet so far from getting under the 4 hour 

• Shirley W, thanks for your kind words. Whether or not I get picked, you can see how I'm getting on on the thread below. The school mural starts on Monday, I'm Santa at the wife's work, an old folks day care centre, Tuesday and Wednesday, and my pool team have 6 games left to decide the Brechin pub team title!

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker) - Sub 3:45 Group

Cheers!

• I would like to second Mouse's nomination
  • I would like to....

Vote Barlos
  • PizzaMan,

Re totp question - I'm laying low now until the big virtual trip!

• Just wanted to say thanks to all of those who have welcomed us Newbies. I have to agree I was shocked when reading through at some of the unwelcoming posts.  Also 'Well Done' to Granny Denny for being brave enough to say how we felt!

Anyway there seem to be some lovely people here so I look forward to getting to know a few of you better. I'll try to post more often rather than just read all your helpful advice.image

• me too, dug in, awaiting orders to go "over the top"
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    PM, we're at Chenies on Sunday, might we pop around for a coffee?
  • Hi,

I would absolutely love the opportunity to be professionaly trained and monitored for the 2008 London Marathon.

I am 29 years old and have been running for 8 years long distance for the past 4 years. My Dad inspired me to run. I watched him successfully complete his first marathon in his early 40's and always hoped to follow in his foot steps.

I ran the London Marathon in 2005 I loved the experience however did not complete in the sub 4 I had hoped but did complete at 4.20. My aim and dream is to complete a sub 4 marathon. I did not get a place in 2006 & 2007. I love running and I love training and am very excited for 2008.  

I have a keen passion in nutrition, exercise and the benefits it brings to people's lives. I hope to one day work as a personal trainer for GP referrals. I feel the experience of training with Runners Wolrd would be amazing. I would love the input and education I could gain from the experience.

My Dad also has a place in the 2008 marathon. We are running together for Age Concern.

My Dad is faster than me and I do beleive we could run together at the same pace. I would love the input and training advice to allow me to do this.

Thank you for the opportunity so far.

Regards

Polly Jeans

Exeter

• As it appears we may have 4 votes, mine will be for people that I 'know' either those I have met or know in a virtual sense...

So:

Barlos: Even tho' he's a tool at times, he does it often to be controversial and actually is a nice bloke when you meet him (hard to believe, I know)

Sezz: Needs all the help she can get havung teamed up with FF

Evil Pixie: A long time forumite and genuinely lovely person.

Little Stoker: I was on the sub 3.45 thread for a while and he comes across as a nice bloke who has overcome some tough times.

So 2 blokes and 2 girlies (sorry!). That seems fair.

NOTE: If Dan RW decides to pick some newbies then I have absolutely no problem with that PROVIDED that they keep everyone informed as to their progress. I've voted for those that I know something about, that's all.

Good luck to all of you....

• I'd like to vote for Mouse as I know she is a determined creature and she would love to go sub 5 hours. I feel certain she would value the training and it would inspire her to beat her mara PB. 
  • I would like to nominate my 4 then:

- RichK, as we said earlier, or his great contribution to his forum community.

- APrincess - a mum with a 5 month old baby training for a marathon needs all the help she can get!

- Little Stoker, well I do not know you either but you sound really interesting and you are Scottish like my husband so I have a soft spot for you already.

- Granny Denny, you are a gutsy newbie and I like reading your posts, it would be interesting to follow your training.

Good luck to Evil Pixie, Sezz, Wardi, Barlos and all the others -  each one of you deserves to be picked up and it's a shame that there are only 4 places.

• Reasons why you should train me:

I'm a good standard runner who has trained on his own since I first started marathon running in 1999. I have managed to run 11 marathons since then with a PB of 3:04. In the past 3 years I have tried to break the 3:00 barrier and came extremely close with the 3:04 before cramp towards the end put paid to my goal. I push myself to the limit and I believe that given the right training 2:50 isn't impossible. However, given that I am around 5'9", large build and 84kg then I believe that I have achieved a lot. Oh and I also travel a lot with my work so I generally have to get up very early to do my runs.

• Having only just seen this thread and have now caught up, it seems that I have 4 votes.  I appologise to everyone I haven't voted for, but my 4 votes go to the following:

Evil Pixie - Having coached (well more advised via email) Pix through the ups and downs for too many years, I am delighted to nominate Pix and hopefully pass her onto people that actually know what they are talking about!!  She has made massive steps recently in her running and loosing weight, and this would be a great reward for all the hard work she has put in, plus of course a fantastic thank you for all she has contributed to the forums over the years.

RichK - In 2003 I ran my 2nd marathon around Lake Vynrwy with Richk and have since then have valued his support and friendship. The contribution he has made to the RW forums is immense and after the rough time he has been through recently, it would be great to see him flying past at mile 18 back on form.

Barlos - As a coach I can't avoid voting for another coach!  In true Piratey style, it would be great to see Barlos do something new on race day, and being coached and training for it would certainly fit that bill... vote Barlos!

Sezz - This year Sezz has been working hard getting qualified and setting up her own business and hopefully in return for this vote I will get a free head massage!!  Seriously though, Sezz is been a huge part of the RW community and it would be great be able to follow her progress through the next few months of training and then be able to cheer her through at mile 18 as part of the RW team.

Good Luck all!

• Don't think we actually have any 'votes' as such. It's just that there appear to be 4 places up for grabs.
  • I apologise... above are my 4 reasons for 'seconding' the applications made by the 4 applicants for this award!! <crawls back under bush and hopes that that hasn't caused offense to anyone!>
  • Welcome to everyone and the very best of luck for you. We are a mad lot and you will all feel at home right away wherever you post - honest!

I would like to recommend someone and that is

WARDI - he is a very supportive forumite and always takes the time to remember others. He has helped me enormously with his posts whilst I struggle with eternal injury. He has the most wicke sense of humour too, so he would be very entertaining! I have had many occasions where I have been chuckling away. Apart from that though, he is a true fastie and I would love to see him achieve his dream of going sub 3. He is also very commited (in the nicest possible way you understand). And how wonderful it would be if he went sub 3 in his 50th year? Wouldn't that be something? So take him on, you won't be sorry. image