Options

Thanet 20

123457»

Comments

• Options
    great race, fantastic marshals and brilliant company - thanks Cliff image
  • Options
    PSC didn't know it was your FIRST time!!!!  Have got a towel for you and for Junior from TRAC to express our thanks - poor bo-bo had to run 20 miles - you could stand around grinning!
  • Options

Jesus - those hills should come with an official warning!  That race hurt a lot!  Dreading doing the extra 6.2 miles now!

Big thanks to all the marshalls.

• Options

Managed 3hrs 6 mins but had forgotten how tough this course is. Had hoped for 15 secs under 3hrs!

My legs took a hiding but I ran the chine at15/16 miles without stopping, so not all bad.

• Options

Thanks to all of the Marshalls, without exception, you were so supportive. Thanks to all of the organisers, how could a run in such beautiful conditions be any better? And finally thanks to Bo bo for the great company, the funny thing was she half expected me to sprint away from her in the last 500 metres. What sort of a gentleman would I be if I had done that.............actually I would have done but there was no energy left in the legs

Thanks to all for a terrific morningimage

• Options
    wow.... I was admiring the towel too!  I hope my brunch next weekend comes close to matching the hospitality you guys extend to us!! image
  • Options

First of all, thanks to Thanet RR for another excellently organised event.   The wind made it tougher than usual, and like Keith, my sub 3 time fell victim to it.   I had been going through the race beforehand in my mind, and was horrified when I came across the second climb up from the seafront in Broadstairs; I had totally forgotten about it.   Still, thanks to Mark for the green jelly baby there.

A couple of months ago, I raised the subject of ferry racing.   I have to call it an honourable draw today.   It docked in Ramsgate before I came through, but by the time they had started to unload, I was about 100 yards ahead of the first lorry.   After that, the lorry sped up as I slowed down...

• Options

Well done all.  I was marshalling at the top of the chine at about mile 16 and saw some very very tired faces coming up !!  Everyone was smiling (sort of) though which was good to see !!!

Best reaction was the guy who just looked at me like someone was sawing his legs off with a rusty knife and just uttered "F***ing hell" through gritted teeth !! 

Sorry to those of you near the back after my jellybaby stash ran out !!!

• Options

I just want to say thanks to the marshalls today who all, without exception, shouted some supportive comment or clapped as I ran passed.  I did try to thank them but after about 15 miles it was taking all of my energy to keep plodding on so my apologies if I only managed a weak grimace of acknowledgement.

The race was so much tougher than I remember but that could be due to the lack of training this year.  My children did me a bath of ice when I got home (a Mother's day treat!) so fingers crossed I won't be too stiff in the morning - famous last words!

• Options

Hi all

Just to echo what everyone has already said - great marshalling yesterday. I have to admit to being 'podded up' as I needed a bit of musical inspiration to get me through but I did try to say thanks to all the cheery marshalls on the way round. It is a tough 20...I think my legs felt at mile 10 how they normally feel at mile 15 of Worthing 20 but its great marathon prep and the varied route keeps you interested. My god those last two miles go on though!

Also just to report the Holiday Inn express as recommended by the forum was a top place to stay - five minute drive to the start and the sweet guys let us go back after the race to shower.

I am so tired today....going to be a long day at work! Thanks to Thanet again for organising!

• Options
    Another well organised event by TRR...but that was tough out there to be fair......the steep incline and declines , and the wind !  I was bout 4mins slower than expected but am keeping the faith ready for FLM. Big thanks to Steve and his team for the organisation.....oh and I picked up 2nd V40 !  heheh
  • Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭

One of yesterdays more interesting sights:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/images/2005/06/24/smack_boys_home_203x152.jpg

We felt compelled to do some research this morning to work this one out

• Options
    Glad to see people saying it was tough - I was very disheartened yesterday to be struggling at 10 miles, but think it was the hills, and finished in what I think is a respectable 3hrs 17.  How do people find it compares to FLM times - can you add 6.2 miles at your intended pace? more? less?  my feeling was that whilst an extra 6.2 miles on top would have been impossible for me yesterday, the hills really took it out of my female-London-trained muscles, and it will have strengthened them so I won't be walk-running until much closer to the end of FLM....?
  • Options

Aching Legs - if you managed Sunday then FLM will be a stroll in the park - loads of people have said that and not just me! 

• Options
    Me too Mrs F, the Thanet 20 has boosted my confidence for FLM. This really is good preparation for a Spring marathon.
  • Options
    CB or Billy Whizz you will be absolutely fine - you are running really strong at the moment.  Even us doing it as a training run on Saturday boosted Helen, Jane, Becky, Symon and Charlie's confidence.
  • Options

This was yet another successful TRAC event and having run as the tail end marshall i would like to thank all the marshalls on the course for the excellent support they gave to Bobi who i ran with. This was her first ever race and i am certain your support helped her through, it was certainly appreciated as on the way back Bobi thanked every marshall and appologised to them for keeping them out on the course so long. I hope she has the courage to build on this and look forward to seeing her return stronger and faster next year.

I did hear some complaints about the lack of toilets, changing facilities and showers. This i must say surprised me as there are numerous races including the FLM where there are no showers. This year TRAC were unfortunate that the race clashed with Mothers Day meaming Pfizers had other functions on in the bar area, resulting in the lack of catering facilities for the competitors. We did look at trying to arrange outside catering but for reasons beyond our control this was not possible.

The reason the toilets this year had to bbe Portoloo's was due to the state that the main changing rooms, toilet and showers were left in last year which meant that we were not allowed to use them this year. In short if runners want to have use of first class facilities then they need to ensure that they are looked after and left in a reasonable condition, if they can't do that then they should accept what is provided. The Race Organisers spend many an hour ensuring the race runs smoothly for peoples enjoyment and without the many volunteers that make the events happen then the sport we all love would soon die.

I am certain the small minority that complain and pick fault with events have never been involved in their organisation. It may do them good to get more involved in organising a race so they can appreciate the efforts that goes into making the events successful.

• Options

John

I couldn't agree with you more. I have always got "involved" in any organisation that I have been part of since my school days and everywhere you go it's the same. The ones complaining the loudest are the ones who are always standing "behind the wall" when you are looking for volunteers. It is a two way street, the runners should appreciate the support of the marshals and the marshals appreciate the thanks of the runners.

As I suspect Bobi is unlikely to feature in a forum like this it might be a nice touch if we contacted her somehow to let her know how brave (if not mad) we all thought she was to tackle a race like this and let her know that most races are a fair bit easier. The last thing you want is for her to be put off for life!

• Options

John

Ditto to everything CB has said - wish the Moaners and Whingers would put on a race for a change!!  Steve has had an email from Bobi thanking us all again - that's what makes doing these races worthwhile - encouraging real people to have a go!

Good luck for Hastings John too.